Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What is Gerber's best folders?

Demel · 31 · 2880

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
What is Gerber's best folders?
on: July 09, 2016, 05:22:04 AM
I'm curious to know if Gerber has a folder than y'all would consider top notch. Any suggestions? I currently have the obsidian. I feel like they make better ones. :think:
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: What is Gerber's best folders?
Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 10:36:04 AM
Check out the Covert, Propel, and 06 Combat folder. It's a few of their higher end models.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 05:52:23 PM
I've got a roughly 20 year old Magnum Jr. LST.  It's a good light USA made folder that can take on tough tasks and fits in my hand perfectly.   Only thing I don't like is that the end of the lockback spring fills with gunk preventing lockup from time to time.   It was discontinued along with the Magnum LST  a few years ago.   

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 11:44:47 AM
While I agree in that most Gerber offerings are quite cheap, unreliable and low-end, their more expensive stuff sometimes delivers and such is the case of the Applegate-Fairbarn combat folding dagger, Their 06 FAST Auto or their DMF Tanto
In the lower price range, you've got to try their EAB, much egarded among the EDC community and minimalist knife lovers

I believe Gerber just stands up as a decent company amongst many of us because of distant memories and their current Multitools, which are no doubt great values and products
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 04:19:01 PM
My Torch Tanto II has held up really well so far for me.

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 02:25:20 PM
Good suggestions. I'm still doing some research on them.
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 02:28:44 PM
While I agree in that most Gerber offerings are quite cheap, unreliable and low-end, their more expensive stuff sometimes delivers and such is the case of the Applegate-Fairbarn combat folding dagger, Their 06 FAST Auto or their DMF Tanto
In the lower price range, you've got to try their EAB, much egarded among the EDC community and minimalist knife lovers

I believe Gerber just stands up as a decent company amongst many of us because of distant memories and their current Multitools, which are no doubt great values and products
Thanks for the suggestions. I do have an eab. It's a good compact utility knife. I still think Gerber has a solid offering currently with the mp### line (I would also include the diesel in this category) they should really focus more on this line and continue to add variety here.

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 02:29:13 PM
My Torch Tanto II has held up really well so far for me.

Sweet pic :tu: I'm not usually a fan of tanto but that has a nice look to it.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 02:29:26 PM
I like my LST... such a light, strong, simple folder... I received one as bonus in a trade and meant to sell it off, but just fell in love with the thing... very nice little tool...
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 05:28:55 PM
My vote also goes to either the LST or EAB; I really want to get my hands on a 39 Series Micarta and just carry it around for a week, just to get that bug out of my system, though.

With that said, after carrying and using my EAB 5+ days a week for the last three years or so, the ball detent in the blade portion has worn a groove in the liner lock, giving it a gritty feeling when opening.  Yes, I do have a backup I received as a Christmas present, but given that mine isn't broken, I'm not switching it out.  Just something to be mentioned, I suppose. :)

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 06:39:29 PM
The lst looks legit. Question, why do most of Gerber's tanto style come partially serrated?

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #11 on: July 12, 2016, 12:41:05 AM
The lst looks legit. Question, why do most of Gerber's tanto style come partially serrated?

Every single LMF II, too...

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: July 12, 2016, 01:43:10 PM

Every single LMF II, too...

Unfortunately, Gerber has partially serrated blades on most of their offerings, MTs included.

It has a lot to do with the tactical/cool facotr, and visual appeal. While they ere useful in some very particular cases, they are no good in folders like the Covert Mini Fast and other FAST folders, Paraframe, Instant, and are horrible and counter productive in blades like the Bear Grylls Survival, Prodigy, LMF, Big Rock, LHR (didn't buy it because of the darn serrations), being the worst offender the legendary Mark II dagger with the crappies, ugliest, most useless serrations ever added to a fine, classic knife.

So sad  :facepalm:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: July 12, 2016, 04:52:52 PM
I wasn't sure the EAB would count as a folder in this thread :D I have had 2 of these, I sold the first to a guy needing a utility blade knife at work for about half price because I already had another :cheers: I kept the first one for 5 or 6 years and used it a lot and the other I have had for probably 3 years now and am still loving it for the small and compactness of it at work and the clip is really great on it as well :tu:

it Offline SolomonKane79

• Don't send flowers, but marlin spikes!
Reply #14 on: July 27, 2016, 12:05:21 PM
Check out the Covert, Propel, and 06 Combat folder. It's a few of their higher end models.
I would add the Hinderer designs both the CLS and the Rescue. I own them both and love them. Gerber makes cheap stuff for sure, but also makes great blades and MTs. I cannot stand people talking smurf about Gerber  :rant:
P.S. Edict, Order and Decree are nice folders, too. The discontinued SAH and E-Z out DPSF are great too, in my book
Antonio

us Offline charlie fox

Reply #15 on: July 27, 2016, 01:43:06 PM
My two favorites are the large LST (old model) and the Harsey Air Ranger. Both are great utility tools that don't have any "fluff".
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: July 30, 2016, 06:25:22 PM
This is a good thread. I actually forgot about it. I wanted to get one of Gerber's upscale folders. I was at the hardware store and end up getting the counterpart for $20. Honestly it does what I need it to do. :shrug: sometimes all you need is a knife with decent ergonomics. Nothing fancy.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: August 05, 2016, 11:08:48 AM
Sounds reasonable to me mate. :)  Good looking knife too. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ru Offline RBasil

• New User
Reply #18 on: August 10, 2016, 11:46:59 AM
What about Gerber Decree

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: August 10, 2016, 11:52:36 AM

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: August 12, 2016, 02:39:11 AM
EAB gets my vote..
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #21 on: August 12, 2016, 10:31:14 PM
Another vote for EAB, a little too heavy, a titianum version would be great.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #22 on: October 27, 2016, 10:01:32 PM
What about Gerber Decree

Agree, absolutely love mine.

EDC and OCD. A wicked mix.

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #23 on: November 10, 2016, 05:46:27 PM
I actually like my Gerber folders...
DSC02320-coolest-bic.jpg
* DSC02320-coolest-bic.jpg (Filesize: 308.93 KB)
DSC01663-wenger-s17+gerber-stockman.jpg
* DSC01663-wenger-s17+gerber-stockman.jpg (Filesize: 440.75 KB)
DSC03501-walker-classic-gerber.jpg
* DSC03501-walker-classic-gerber.jpg (Filesize: 383.97 KB)

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #24 on: November 12, 2016, 01:08:56 PM
... but the best? The Freeman folder won the 2004 IWA International Knife Award which makes it a serious contender.
DSC03588-gerber-freeman.jpg
* DSC03588-gerber-freeman.jpg (Filesize: 391.73 KB)

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: November 13, 2016, 08:41:57 PM
Good old Gator FTW when using gloves

My toys:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: December 02, 2016, 10:58:51 AM
My toys:

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: December 02, 2016, 11:29:50 AM
(Image removed from quote.)
I bet your meal was "on the house", eh?!  :o :D

*The waitress comes over and is like, how are you going to be paying, uhhh never mind sweety, it's on the house for today  ;) she walks away like  :whistle:
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #28 on: October 30, 2017, 11:00:45 PM
I have had Good Luck with the Gators.
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: November 06, 2017, 02:24:59 PM
I have had Good Luck with the Gators.

may not have one handed opening
may not have pocket clip

but they are NICE!!

like their MP series, they embody the true "Gerber Spirit" that the company had before being bought by Fiskars

My toys:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%