Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Let's see your sharpening stones/gear!

SAK Guy · 210 · 10157

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Let's see your sharpening stones/gear!
on: July 14, 2016, 03:19:33 AM
I know it takes me forever to get around to things but I finally tried my big Fallkniven bench stone and WOW!!!

My Trail Master is the sharpest it's ever been which in the past, has been no easy feat. Originally a convex edge and along with it's extremely thick grind, it been a chore to get even close to a really fine edge. I spent about 15 mins freehanding it and bang! Now the old gal is slicing paper pretty well....if I spend a little more time on it, and actually lay the stone on a table (instead of palming it), it might end up close to properly sharp.

A (crummy) pic....

I was kicking around the idea of buying a Razor Edge guide to use on this very knife but will wait and see now.

I'll add other stones later but if you have a stone or system you use on your knives (esp on your bigger Camping/Bushcraft/Hunting knives), post a pic and tell us how you like it.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 03:20:56 AM by SAK Guy »
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Re: Let's see your sharpening stones/gear!
Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 03:38:13 AM
Nice!  Good job on that beautiful blade! 

I use my Smith's Adjustable Pull-Thru and the 3-in-1 followed with an old 3" leather belt as a strop for most my sharpening.    :cheers:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 03:56:48 AM
Nice!  Good job on that beautiful blade! 

I use my Smith's Adjustable Pull-Thru and the 3-in-1 followed with an old 3" leather belt as a strop for most my sharpening.    :cheers:

Thanks!!!! Sounds like you have a well practiced system that works for you!!!!    :2tu:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 10:17:04 AM
Sparky gave me a whole bunch of stones at the meet last weekend*, so now I've got loads of stuff to practice on: a combination oilstone, 3 individual stones of various grades, a Lansky Turnbox, a Lansky standard system and a 400/1000 grit diamond plate.  I'll try to get a photo of them soon.

* and introduced me to the joys of stropping, so I need to find an old belt now too.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 12:39:21 PM
I like the big Fallkniven stoen SG :o That;s a big knife as well :ahhh

I will see what I can do about getting a pic up in the next few days of my stuff as well :cheers:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 01:26:02 PM
Sparky gave me a whole bunch of stones at the meet last weekend*, so now I've got loads of stuff to practice on: a combination oilstone, 3 individual stones of various grades, a Lansky Turnbox, a Lansky standard system and a 400/1000 grit diamond plate.  I'll try to get a photo of them soon.

* and introduced me to the joys of stropping, so I need to find an old belt now too.

Awesome!!! Would love to see them!!!
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 01:43:42 PM

I will see what I can do about getting a pic up in the next few days of my stuff as well :cheers:

Thanks!  I've been using the smaller Fallkniven stones for a while and love them.

Ponch, the Trail Master is a great knife. It's about an inch shorter than this one, which is my biggest knife.

Blackjack Warner Moran

I re-profiled WM last year and it's scary sharp.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline Pile Driver

Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 02:15:23 PM

Thanks!  I've been using the smaller Fallkniven stones for a while and love them.

Ponch, the Trail Master is a great knife. It's about an inch shorter than this one, which is my biggest knife.

Blackjack Warner Moran
(Image removed from quote.)

"that's not a knife...this is a knife"

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 06:24:43 PM

Blackjack Warner Moran

Looking at your big blades and having done some reading about "bowie style knives", I ran across an article that said that by the 1840's those big bowies were pretty much outlawed in Southern states.  Seemed everybody liked to fight/duel with them...if you hurt anybody with one, it was considered a capital offense!

And I know that down in Texas, you don't want to be caught off your property with anything over 5.5"...so even a Buck 119 Special is against the law.   :think:

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: July 15, 2016, 12:08:12 AM

Blackjack Warner Moran

"that's not a knife...this is a knife"

:rofl:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: July 15, 2016, 01:32:52 AM

Blackjack Warner Moran

Looking at your big blades and having done some reading about "bowie style knives", I ran across an article that said that by the 1840's those big bowies were pretty much outlawed in Southern states.  Seemed everybody liked to fight/duel with them...if you hurt anybody with one, it was considered a capital offense!

And I know that down in Texas, you don't want to be caught off your property with anything over 5.5"...so even a Buck 119 Special is against the law.   :think:

Yeah, if you get caught riding around/walking the streets with a Bowie, it's a prohibited weapon, same as a gun. But knives over 5.5, if possessed traveling to and during outdoor activities like hunting/fishing etc, is ok (you have permission to be on the premises). Back in the 90's, I had a Park Ranger tell me that if you were going to hike/backpack in the Guadalupe Mountains, they recommended a  minimum 7" fixed blade as they were having incidents with cougars and "transient" people (moving through headed north). He mentioned the USMC Ka-Bar by name as being a knife they would recommend. He said "for protection"... I was surprised by this.

I always stay within the 5.5" limit (and close to that on hunting knives) to be safe but then I can roam around the farm with my Bowies.  :D

- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: July 15, 2016, 02:23:33 AM
I like Bowies :dd:

I have a Hen and Rooster one that I fancy quite a bit as well :cheers:

us Offline Pile Driver

Reply #12 on: July 15, 2016, 02:37:48 AM

Blackjack Warner Moran

Yeah, if you get caught riding around/walking the streets with a Bowie, it's a prohibited weapon, same as a gun. But knives over 5.5, if possessed traveling to and during outdoor activities like hunting/fishing etc, is ok (you have permission to be on the premises). Back in the 90's, I had a Park Ranger tell me that if you were going to hike/backpack in the Guadalupe Mountains, they recommended a  minimum 7" fixed blade as they were having incidents with cougars and "transient" people (moving through headed north). He mentioned the USMC Ka-Bar by name as being a knife they would recommend. He said "for protection"... I was surprised by this.

I always stay within the 5.5" limit (and close to that on hunting knives) to be safe but then I can roam around the farm with my Bowies.  :D

Lol, wish I was a fly on the wall for the Park Ranger Ka-Bar suggeston

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: July 15, 2016, 04:53:19 AM

There several Hen & Rooster Bowies that I like!!! They are fine looking blades.   :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: July 15, 2016, 04:54:19 AM

Blackjack Warner Moran

Lol, wish I was a fly on the wall for the Park Ranger Ka-Bar suggeston

You could have knocked me over with a very small feather.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: July 15, 2016, 07:02:30 AM
Here are some other stones I use:

Smiths Diamond 6", coarse and fine (fine one is 10+ years old), DMT Duofold fine/coarse, a Fallkniven DC-4 Diamond/Ceramic ( 2 years old, my daily stone, mostly used on SAKs/new purchases to bring back the edge) and trying out the Vic Combo sharpener.  Great for touch ups!

- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #16 on: July 15, 2016, 11:34:05 AM
I use Smiths' White Arkansas Stone (1000 grit) and the Spyderco Shapmaker for touchups, and most folders.

and an old, no-name stone along with sandpaper to reprofile and heavy sharpening jobs.

I use diferent sandpaper grits and the stone (utterly destroyed and in very bad condition) on bigger knives, to thin them down

An example from yesterday, I convexed and thinned the blade on my SOG Tsunami. Now it is a decent slicer.

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: July 15, 2016, 03:10:21 PM
Very cool bud, thx for sharing your gear and technique.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: July 16, 2016, 06:35:34 AM
There should be an IQ test administered before some folks are allowed to buy a nice knife.....  :facepalm:

Look what somebody did to this rare Tapio Wirkkla Puuko. I guess they thought it was a Scandi grind....it's not!!!!!

Still a nice, solid user and took an excellent razor edge on the Fallkniven stone. It has an extremely thin grind, perfect camp knife for making fine tinder, food prep, cleaning fish etc...don't know enough about the steel to say if it would be a good wood worker but it's sharp enough to consider it.  :salute:

The SAK is a used Ranger that got cleaned today. Was very dull but sharpened up nicely on the Duofold...still needs a scissor spring.

- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: July 16, 2016, 10:55:44 PM
I don't let my knifes get dull. I keep my butcher steel next to the front door so I can keep my knifes sharp with a few swipes when needed. I've also been known to use the top of a car window to touch up my knife.
IMG_20151017_082342.jpg
* IMG_20151017_082342.jpg (Filesize: 115.48 KB)
IMG_20160716_133951.jpg
* IMG_20160716_133951.jpg (Filesize: 128.97 KB)
IMG_20151229_081944.jpg
* IMG_20151229_081944.jpg (Filesize: 82.01 KB)
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: July 17, 2016, 01:46:26 AM
I don't let my knifes get dull. I keep my butcher steel next to the front door so I can keep my knifes sharp with a few swipes when needed. I've also been known to use the top of a car window to touch up my knife.

:cheers: :cheers: I like that steel!!!
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: July 17, 2016, 01:50:02 AM
I try and get some pics tomorrow  :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: July 17, 2016, 04:05:16 AM

There several Hen & Rooster Bowies that I like!!! They are fine looking blades.   :cheers:

For regular style slippies Hen and Rooster is my favorite knife :tu: I have collected them for years as well as my dad :tu: He has way more of them than I do though :ahhh

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: July 17, 2016, 04:06:36 AM
Been busy today so I never got around to taking a pic of my sharpening stuff :oops: but I need to get it all out in the next while and try to get some pics as well as see what all I have :D

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: July 17, 2016, 04:07:33 AM
I try and get some pics tomorrow  :tu:

:salute:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: July 17, 2016, 05:26:26 AM

For regular style slippies Hen and Rooster is my favorite knife :tu: I have collected them for years as well as my dad :tu: He has way more of them than I do though :ahhh

Awesome!!!  Post some pics up in a thread, I love traditional style pocketknives. I'm going to try to do more trad pics as well since I have a better camera now.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: July 17, 2016, 05:27:00 AM
Been busy today so I never got around to taking a pic of my sharpening stuff :oops: but I need to get it all out in the next while and try to get some pics as well as see what all I have :D

:salute:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: July 17, 2016, 05:29:02 AM

Awesome!!!  Post some pics up in a thread, I love traditional style pocketknives. I'm going to try to do more trad pics as well since I have a better camera now.

See what I can get together :tu:

au Offline sak60

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: July 17, 2016, 07:09:41 AM
At present I use these King Waterstones-
800-1200-3000 and  homemade strop with compound.
IMG_20160717_144204349-800x600.jpg
* IMG_20160717_144204349-800x600.jpg (Filesize: 75.74 KB)
Andrew

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: July 17, 2016, 08:00:36 AM
At present I use these King Waterstones-
800-1200-3000 and  homemade strop with compound.

Those are cool! How do like waterstones? I remember seeing Ray Mears using them in a YT video but I have no experience in them.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24