Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fitbits/activity monitors

gb Offline ryan1835

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • buh
Fitbits/activity monitors
on: July 16, 2016, 10:17:28 PM
Hi, has anyone here tried fit bits out or the like?

thinking it might be something to try but are they accurate etc?
I

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Re: Fitbits/activity monitors
Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 10:26:46 PM
Hi, has anyone here tried fit bits out or the like?

thinking it might be something to try but are they accurate etc?

I have a fitbit Charge HR, and the heart rate to me is the best part. 

though I am not sure how accurate they are, I can definitely  tell when I am more active, and how much more active I am.

lets assume they are off by 14%, and that that delta is during high heart rates and low hear rates.
then I should still be able to tell how much more active I am.  and I can not focus on "how many calories burned"  but are my "calories burned higher than my lazy days"

as far as distance estimates,  mine seems to be off about half a mile when I do a 7 mile walk. 
If I can help, let me know 

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 10:34:27 PM
I know the activity monitor on my Apple Watch is a PITA if that helps at all.

I know how lazy I am, I do not need to be reminded and jabbed in the wrist to tell me about it!

I used to come here a lot.

ca Offline Megan

• Marketing Maven
  • Administrator
  • No Life Club
  • Does your head look like a watermelon?
Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 01:10:05 AM
I've had the Fitbit Charge HR since Christmas 2015.

So far, I am super satisfied with it. I like that it monitors my heart rate and is able to give me a decent reading on physical activity.
As for steps you can adjust the pedometer function depending on dominant or non-dominate wrist. And you can also adjust the sensitivity as well. No pedometer will be fool proof.

I am not sure what you are looking for- but so far I appreciate the encouragement. The more active I am and the better I eat- the lower my resting heart rate. That's a positive healthy sign that I'm doing things right.

I also appreciate the encouragement I get trying to make my minimums each day- and trying to surpass them.
I join friends in challenges each week and weekend. Detron on the forum is one of my Fitbit buddies. It sounded a bit lame at first, but my competitiveness is helping me do a bit better than before.

All in all it will depend on what you want it for.
-Megan
Would you like your review featured on http://Multitool.org? Do you have a suggestion to improve the forum or our sites?
Send me a message.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 01:48:09 AM
I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 and it has an app called S Healtg as part of its regular software bundle.  S Health does many of the things that the Fitbit does, like count steps and monitor activity like cycling, but it's not as automatic.  For example,  I need to tell it I'm going biking or it won't record it.  And, while it will read my heart rate when I tell it to, it won't monitor it as I sleep or exercise.

Still, it has other functions like allowing you to track your diet, sleep and water intake, although again it's up to you to put it all in.

I guess what I'm suggesting is that if you have a Samsung phone that supports it, maybe try out S Health before spending money on something else.  Or, try finding an app for whatever phone you do have and see if it does what you want.

I keep looking at the possibility of getting and wearing a Fitbit but my Pebble has convinced me that I also want text message notification and things on my watch too, which means I have to buy the more expensive Blaze if I want a Fitbit.   :ahhh

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

00 Offline Spey

Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 09:45:30 AM
My wife & daughter wear them, and love them.

Accurate, I would say not!

Had funny conversation with brother-in-law a few days ago related to how many steps his wife racks up when they drive all day ... (device auto adds steps at time intervals based on program mode and motion).

Depending on how the device is setup by the user, accuracy changes (there are baseline programmability set ups based on user activity). If ya program it that your are really active person, it will log more for same time intervals. Like anything, they are user dependant.

But for those that respond to an atta-boy to the wrist, they are golden. I joke about putting my wife's in the dryer (so she can get extra steps). She doesn't see the humor, but keeps on steppin'

Regards,
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 09:49:40 AM by Spey »
No Honey, that's always been in the safe ...

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 10:13:16 AM
  Been using a Fitbit Charge HR, though the Surge I heard was better with longer battery life.

Found that DoubleBarR on Etsy has band extensions, so I bout the longer one for the Charge HR and it's definitely much longer. I probably should of went with the shorter band.

See, I ordered the Tangerine as in the online photos most looked Orange in colour. In fact it's more red than orange. And had ordered the extension band the same day as the Charge HR. Imagine my surprise with both colours didn't match up. Such is the way things are. /sigh
20160223_171202.jpg
* 20160223_171202.jpg (Filesize: 122.78 KB)
DSC00183.JPG
* DSC00183.JPG (Filesize: 92.05 KB)
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 10:17:47 AM
  I'm pleased with the results, and have a daily reminded set to go off at a certain time of day. Does decent tracking of stuff, though doesn't pick up my steps when pushing a merchandising cart around with dominant hand. Get weekly updates, and badges for when I do some great feat. It does register elevation when using ladders and steps.

Some people put their normal Charges in their pocket for pedometer recording. Surge has a 5 day battery life whereas Charge HR is just a hair over 2 days for normal use.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 07:09:49 PM
I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 and it has an app called S Healtg as part of its regular software bundle.  S Health does many of the things that the Fitbit does, like count steps and monitor activity like cycling, but it's not as automatic.  For example,  I need to tell it I'm going biking or it won't record it.  And, while it will read my heart rate when I tell it to, it won't monitor it as I sleep or exercise.

Still, it has other functions like allowing you to track your diet, sleep and water intake, although again it's up to you to put it all in.

I guess what I'm suggesting is that if you have a Samsung phone that supports it, maybe try out S Health before spending money on something else.  Or, try finding an app for whatever phone you do have and see if it does what you want.

I keep looking at the possibility of getting and wearing a Fitbit but my Pebble has convinced me that I also want text message notification and things on my watch too, which means I have to buy the more expensive Blaze if I want a Fitbit.   :ahhh

Def

Your never guess what i bought home today.....

were have to set up a MTO fit bit group and try to outwalk each other haha
I

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 07:33:49 PM
What a coincidence- my new Pebble arrived today! 

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #10 on: July 26, 2016, 09:16:42 PM

Def

What pebble did you get? gonna review it?  :pok:
I

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: July 27, 2016, 01:05:04 AM

Def

What pebble did you get? gonna review it?  :pok:

Look in the Watch Forum...  :pok:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,59172.0.html

Def

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #12 on: July 27, 2016, 11:03:23 PM

Had funny conversation with brother-in-law a few days ago related to how many steps his wife racks up when they drive all day ... (device auto adds steps at time intervals based on program mode and motion).

Depending on how the device is setup by the user, accuracy changes (there are baseline programmability set ups based on user activity). If ya program it that your are really active person, it will log more for same time intervals. Like anything, they are user dependant.

But for those that respond to an atta-boy to the wrist, they are golden. I joke about putting my wife's in the dryer (so she can get extra steps). She doesn't see the humor, but keeps on steppin'

Regards,

yep end of day one and im really doubting its accuracy. 14,541 steps, 6.54 miles. and i know i went to the gym for an hour but 4,642 calories burnt? I WISH!
I

00 Offline Spey

Reply #13 on: July 27, 2016, 11:40:13 PM

Regards,

yep end of day one and im really doubting its accuracy. 14,541 steps, 6.54 miles. and i know i went to the gym for an hour but 4,642 calories burnt? I WISH!
The good news, you are doing something (went to gym) AND you are monitoring the monitored activity vs actual activity. You believe you are seeing a differential that may allow for a calibration of the two.

Here is a link, I just read, that gives a couple examples of what I eluded to in my earlier post (related to customizing the calibration of the unit to the users typical daily routine). Different models may be different.
https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Fitbit-com-Dashboard/personalized-or-sedentary-calorie-estimate/td-p/66511

If however, a user routine changes dramatically (example: work day vs weekend vs special outing); I would suspect a user would want to change the calibration accordingly.

I suspect most users appreciate seeing inflated day results though ;-) ... kinda like how Google used to have that pop-up screen with text like you're awesome. Fitbit vibrates and screen flashes a feel good when supposed "accomplishments" are met (becomes talking points for folks throughout the day, that I have seen become competitive for some - like I just got 20k steps ... or whatever).

I don't Fitbit, and hold NO grudges on those that do (power to what works for each!). Wife & daughter are both selling off their Fitbit & upgrading to newer version with better display & general configuration improvements.

Good luck with your goals.

Regards,
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 11:45:03 PM by Spey »
No Honey, that's always been in the safe ...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%