Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Smith & Wesson buying Taylor?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Re: Smith & Wesson buying Taylor?
Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 11:24:18 PM
Given the quality of the stuff S&W was content to have their name on in the past, I wouldn't hold my breath
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 11:27:55 PM
Given the quality of the stuff S&W was content to have their name on in the past, I wouldn't hold my breath

It seems they are more interested in gaining the market segments that Taylor currently has for their accessories, rather than any desire to improve quality.

I hope that isn't the case.  I really do.

Smith & Wesson- if you are reading, give me a call and we can discuss how to make your knives and tools less of a laughing stock.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 05:01:08 AM
What about Schrade?  Riding on an old company name was more than played out by the time they ran out of the old stock parts and started making everything with a tactical black finish.  Please Grant, maybe you can talk some sense in to them.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 05:05:30 AM
It seems they are more interested in gaining the market segments that Taylor currently has for their accessories, rather than any desire to improve quality.

The purpose of business is not to provide the best service but to provide the only service.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 12:09:13 PM
What about Schrade?  Riding on an old company name was more than played out by the time they ran out of the old stock parts and started making everything with a tactical black finish.  Please Grant, maybe you can talk some sense in to them.

I doubt I could have any influence over an $85 million sale.

Selling to Smith & Wesson means they now own the rights to Schrade and all other Taylor Brands, and they can do what they want with it.  The article makes it seem as if Mr. Taylor is staying in charge so I doubt we will see any changes.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 12:09:31 PM
Here's to hoping that they do better than Taylor with the Schrade name :cheers: If not then :facepalm: :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 12:10:40 PM

I doubt I could have any influence over an $85 million sale.

Selling to Smith & Wesson means they now own the rights to Schrade and all other Taylor Brands, and they can do what they want with it.  The article makes it seem as if Mr. Taylor is staying in charge so I doubt we will see any changes.

Def

So probably no changes then :facepalm:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: July 19, 2016, 12:38:25 PM
I may be reading too much into the article but it would appear that S&W just wants access to the Taylor distribution network for their own accessory line.

Odie Tucker of SSI Data, which tracks sales of guns, ammunition, accessories, and knives, says that the acquisition will give Smith & Wesson traction in important markets. “Smith & Wesson have been wanting to expand their presence in the outdoor space, so I’m not all that surprised,” he says. “The acquisition of Taylor Brands should give Smith & Wesson a strong start in the knife category. Sales of Schrade and Smith & Wesson knives have been holding steady in a rapidly declining market, which is very strong performance,” Tucker says.

This males me think that S&W is happy with the cap that Taylor is producing since the numbers seem to back them up.

Def

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #9 on: July 19, 2016, 01:18:44 PM
Some of the Frost products are OK
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: July 19, 2016, 01:33:56 PM
Knowing what I do it's extremely unlikely I'll ever buy Schrades, but it does seems like there's been a marked improvement of their fixed blades?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: July 19, 2016, 01:35:14 PM
I've heard such things, but I have seen nothing concrete to back it up.

Def

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: July 19, 2016, 01:47:44 PM
Some of the Frost products are OK

Frost actually owns the rights to distribute nearly every reg knife that comes into the country.  They own a few of the German knife making companies now as well ;) That is why I can never understand why they make such a cheap knife with their on name on it :ahhh I have a few older Frost knives and they a very decent knives but some of the stuff they have now :facepalm:

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #13 on: July 19, 2016, 01:57:38 PM
The purpose of business is not to provide the best service but to provide the only service.

Or to put it another way:  The purpose of business is to benefit certain persons, unfortunately those persons are usually an owner/shareholder or an executive in the business, customers often (mostly ? ) come last.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: July 19, 2016, 03:18:52 PM

Or to put it another way:  The purpose of business is to benefit certain persons, unfortunately those persons are usually an owner/shareholder or an executive in the business, customers often (mostly ? ) come last.

Yes unfortunately this is 9 times out of 10 true :-\

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #15 on: July 19, 2016, 07:13:34 PM
Frost knives? You just had to bring up Frost knives. I believed the late night info-mercials that told me I could buy 100 knives for $100 and sell them for $10 plus each.  I bought $2000 worth in 2011 because I thought I could make a business out of them, and I'm still stuck with about half of them.  To be fair, I sold enough of them to pay for them, so anytime I sell one now it's profit, but they are a hard sell and I was disappointed in the quality which was not at all what I was expecting.  They're guaranteed against defects for a year to the original purchaser. Well, I've got a box of about 80 or more of them that don't lock or the handles are broken that I can't return because I've had them more than a year, or because Frost sold them to me by telling me I could sell them, but the guarantee doesn't extend to whoever I sell them to. My distaste for cheap Chinese knives that developed from my experience with Frost has extended to Taylor Brands, and I can't even look at the Bud K catalog anymore.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: July 19, 2016, 07:27:49 PM
Frost knives? You just had to bring up Frost knives. I believed the late night info-mercials that told me I could buy 100 knives for $100 and sell them for $10 plus each.  I bought $2000 worth in 2011 because I thought I could make a business out of them, and I'm still stuck with about half of them.  To be fair, I sold enough of them to pay for them, so anytime I sell one now it's profit, but they are a hard sell and I was disappointed in the quality which was not at all what I was expecting.  They're guaranteed against defects for a year to the original purchaser. Well, I've got a box of about 80 or more of them that don't lock or the handles are broken that I can't return because I've had them more than a year, or because Frost sold them to me by telling me I could sell them, but the guarantee doesn't extend to whoever I sell them to. My distaste for cheap Chinese knives that developed from my experience with Frost has extended to Taylor Brands, and I can't even look at the Bud K catalog anymore.

Sorry to hear about your experience with them Alan :( I have watched those some infomercials and been tempted to buy the same stuff :-[ Glad you got your money back anyways :cheers:

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #17 on: July 20, 2016, 02:36:18 AM
Some of their fixed blade knives are actually not bad as long as they are forged and not cast.  I had one of their machetes and it split in half and the pointy end flew right past my head.  It turned out to be cast steel and probably had an air bubble.  The Frost Machete, by the way, looked exactly like the Schrade SCHLM. And I Also have This Frost knife with the Wilson grip tape on the handle that looks amazingly like the Schrade  SCHF18.  This just confirms in my mind that it's all the same stuff and everything that comes from China comes out of the same factories and they just stamp whatever name on it you want.

* img-schrade-schlm-large-machete.jpg (Filesize: 4.62 KB)
Frost knife.JPG
* Frost knife.JPG (Filesize: 174.22 KB)
SCHF18_1024x1024.jpg
* SCHF18_1024x1024.jpg (Filesize: 44.76 KB)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: July 20, 2016, 04:03:11 AM
Some of their fixed blade knives are actually not bad as long as they are forged and not cast.  I had one of their machetes and it split in half and the pointy end flew right past my head.  It turned out to be cast steel and probably had an air bubble.  The Frost Machete, by the way, looked exactly like the Schrade SCHLM. And I Also have This Frost knife with the Wilson grip tape on the handle that looks amazingly like the Schrade  SCHF18.  This just confirms in my mind that it's all the same stuff and everything that comes from China comes out of the same factories and they just stamp whatever name on it you want.

Yep those look an awful lot alike with emphasis on the awful :facepalm: :whistle: :D

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #19 on: July 20, 2016, 04:05:58 AM
When it comes to S&W, I'll just stick to my Model 19. ;)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline David

Reply #20 on: July 22, 2016, 07:53:23 PM

Wise decision!      :)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #21 on: July 22, 2016, 08:32:37 PM
I am not a fan of what Taylor did to Schrade. I hope S&W puts as much quality into their knives as they do into their firearms, Although, their history of just slapping their name onto all sorts of junk in the past doesn't make it all that endearing.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #22 on: July 22, 2016, 09:35:49 PM
I have a very nice S&W Stockman that was made in Seki, Japan; so Smith is capable of offering decent knives. Unfortunately that doesn't extend to their Chinese-made knives.

The Schrade Little Finger makes use of left-over US made parts, and was finished in China. A decent little knife. However (again) the pure Chinese stuff is junk.

IMG_7581.JPG
* IMG_7581.JPG (Filesize: 47.13 KB)

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #23 on: July 23, 2016, 04:15:09 AM
I have a couple of S & W multitools. IMO their quality matches the price I paid (ie cheap).   
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #24 on: July 23, 2016, 06:01:08 AM

Wise decision!      :)

Safest bet. :) It's an ex-NY State Police revolver, and a practical multi(shot) tool. Not exactly an organization known for a "cheap and cheerful" mentality when it comes to a seevicw weapon. The .357 was replaced by them with a .45 SIG.......
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: July 24, 2016, 04:09:49 PM
Maybe, but you need to be Homer Simpson to open a beer with it....

Def

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #26 on: July 24, 2016, 05:16:59 PM
I haven't personally seen a Schrade fixed blade that was any good after the outsourcing started. Doesn't mean there aren't any, but I'll stay on the safe side of this issue and buy vintage or nothing.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #27 on: July 24, 2016, 05:17:44 PM
Actually, I'll more likely just buy another Mora.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: July 24, 2016, 05:29:12 PM
That's probably your best plan, really.

Let's remember, this is the company that took something called a "Tough Tool" and turned it into something that can be crushed in one's bare hands.

For those who don't know this story, at SHOT a few years ago, Bob and I went to the Taylor booth, and Bob grabbed two versions of the Tough Tool.  We barely touched the black one to use as a control.  Then Bob took the silver one and gripped it- not as hard as he could, but a realistic amount that you would put on a pair of pliers during use, and you see the results above.  The handles should be as wide as the untouched black one, or at least as close as mass manufacturing techniques allow, but you can see instead that the silver one is noticeably compacted.

Maybe this doesn't render the tool useless, but can you imagine relying on what is being billed as a "Tough Tool."

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%