Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone use an edc bag?

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Anyone use an edc bag?
on: July 21, 2016, 04:37:47 PM
Well ive run out of pockets and I refuse to carry a fanny pack (no offense to those who do), so i have a small bag on the way
any general advice from edc bag guys such as what to carry on your person vs in the bag or things like that? Here is what i am planning right now as far as edc goes.

On person:
Kershaw flipper
SAK (probably pioneer x or s18)
Fisher space pen
Weapon-type knife (I have alot to choose from)
Phone
Thrunite ti4t pen light
Watch

In bag:
Phone (sometimes, depending on who im with)
LM Charge Tti
Bit kit/extender
Phone charger
Power brick
Sharpener
Box cutter
Opinel (for food/sentimental)
Esee 3 mil
Multitool oil
First aid stuff (tbd what it is)
Small tablet (if i ever start using it again)
Fieldnotes notebook
Extra pencil/pen
Keys

When i leave the bag somewhere i will probably move the lm charge from my bag to my hip

Any thoughts or comments? What am i missing? do i have too much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Vinjints

Re: Anyone use an edc bag?
Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 06:15:30 PM
I'm carrying a UTG knockoff of the Maxpedition Fatboy (I think).

I double up on what I carry on person and then some.  If someone grabs my bag, they do remark at the weight, but the heaviest load is the filled 40oz. Kleen Kanteen.  Otherwise I keep assorted goodies including each grouped together in their separate pouches as listed below.  I do not intend on needing all of this, but this is the same bag I grab if we’re camping so it has both an urban and rural theme.  I can also grab this when we’re going to the pool and don’t have my on-person carry with me.

Bandana and poncho
Duct tape, zip ties, paracord, rubber bands, compass, and whistle
Bladeless MP600, Swiss Champ, crescent wrench, bit kit, saw blades, Pocketwrench II, and pen driver
Fresnel lens, signal mirror, mylar blanket, lighter, fire striker
Safety pins, bobby pins, paper clips, thread, needle, fishing line
Spare house key, work keys
Power Bank with cords for iOS and Android, spare batteries
Mini First Aid kit, mini lighter, Chap Stick
Work gloves, sunscreen, insect repellent, ear plugs, MP3
Various food items, Spork, Listerine strips, floss
Becker BK24, Gerber Dime
Notebook, pens, pencil, Sharpies
Kleen Kanteen
Flashlight, Headlamp

The main compartment may hold an extra water, lunch, or a full rain suit if I need it.

ca Offline Lardlad

Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 01:26:13 AM
I like those sling bags but I'm not sure I can get all of my stuff in one.  My EDC bag is currently a Gen 2 ITS Tactical discreet messenger bag.  I managed to snag one just before they discontinued it.  The Gen 3 is pretty but lacks organization.  I highly recommend the Gen 2 if you can find one, it's 1000D cordura, really well made and has tons of storage.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 02:27:49 AM
Lately I have been alternating between my Maxpedition Sitka and an MEC Pod for most stuff, but for several years my go to bag has been my Maxpedition Tactical Operator bag.  I'd say I have been using it daily for at least 7-8 years now and it is still in fine shape.  The plastic on the ID badge thing on the front is yellowed and cracked (as they all do) but otherwise the bag looks just as sharp as the day I got it.

Bag discussions usually end up in Sheaths & Carry Methods:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/board,38.0.html

You may find more info there.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 05:01:02 AM
Thanks everyone for the posts and thanks Grant for the redirection as well. Ill go check it out!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 05:15:56 AM
No problem.

That looks like a pretty sweet bag and I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it when it arrives.

I need to get a regular backpack.  The sling bags are nice, as are the shoulder/messenger/laptop type bags, but when you need to carry more crap a backpack is the way to go.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 05:38:20 AM
No problem.

That looks like a pretty sweet bag and I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it when it arrives.

I need to get a regular backpack.  The sling bags are nice, as are the shoulder/messenger/laptop type bags, but when you need to carry more crap a backpack is the way to go.

Def

I have a really nice functional backpack that was given to me by by girlfriends family thats perfect for that kind of thing.

Not sure what model it is but the patch on the side says "makers of the original swiss army knife" it is an amazing backpack and holds everything i need it to

The sling bag will be for when i need something lower profile, but still need to carry more than what is in my pockets. I often keep clothes in one of the main pockets of my backpack, but the sling bag will be dedicated only to gear. I hope it works out well. It was only 20 bucks on amazon and advertised as waterproof. We will see!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 07:06:55 AM
Have a sling but am still working on a backpack, guess I can say like you running out of pockets, lol.. Sorry no pics at the moment.
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 08:01:26 AM
I have one of these coming to re-do my weather spotting/farm bag.

http://thehiddenwoodsmen.com/product/the-haversack/

It will carry my binos, scanner, a couple of weather books/maps, compass. phone, camera knives/multitool and will probably have room for a poncho, boonie hat etc.

The haversack can double as a camping bag when needed by adding folding saw, fire kit etc.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: July 22, 2016, 01:13:42 PM
I've been checking out SOG's new line of bags and I like them, but the prices seem a bit high.  I know you pay for quality, but there's a reason we don't all drive Rolls Royce or Maybach right?

$270 for the Seraphim 35 seems like a lot more than I can justify for a backpack, no matter how nice it is.

Def

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #10 on: July 22, 2016, 02:33:13 PM

[...] Seraphim [...]

::)  A backpack called Seraphim... Then what, a cherubim? Archdaemon? *shakes head*

On topic:

Nowadays, I only carry my keys, a lighter, a SAK or two, a small flashlight or two, a handerchief and a small amount of cash on my person.

I have been carrying around a Samsonite GuardIT Laptop Backpack L Black 17.3"

everyday for three months now and I'm quite pleased with it. I had been looking for a urban EDC bag like this one for a long time. There's a smaller model around but I went for the big one as I felt it was more capable and you never know when you might need the extra room.

I'll try to sum my thoughts up:

PROS

- Very good albeit bland design, looks-wise

- Pretty good organiser pockets and lots of them

- The bag can still hold plenty of stuff even if the all the small pockets are full

- The small pockets don't really steal room from the main compartments when full, that's rare :tu:

- Varying compartment sizes help distribute things evenly

- Lightly padded back and bottom, good enough for my needs

- Two side mesh pockets, (almost) always good to have

- Large straps help distribute weight and are quite comfortable

CONS

- They cheeped out on the carrier handle. Look at pictures online and you'll see it's just a piece of fabric covered with a piece of synthetic cloth

- The stiches on one shoulder strap, the one I use most, become elongated in less than two weeks :-\ but have not yet snapped. I hadn't put anything really heavy in there, maximum weight carried so far must have been around 5 kilos or about 12 pounds

- The zippers can be challenging to use with one hand while wearing the bag

- The lining on one of the inside pockets has come loose without me or something I put in there causing it

- The back isn't covered with anything and this quickly causes me to sweat a lot. Good thing that I mostly use one strap so this doesn't happen often and that the fabric isn't absorbent.

- I wish they'd used a more rigid, heavier duty, fabric. This would make the backpack easier to handle when loaded. For this reason and also because of the padding I wouldn't like having to carry around a laptop in this backpack.

- This backpack makes it easy for me to carry around much more stuff than I really need ::) :D

Conclusion

It's a very good bag although Samsonite did cut some corners to make it available in the 45-70€ range, which is bad. I'd eagerly buy a spare one, were this backpack made with heavier duty materials and a little more care.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 02:45:29 PM by firiki »
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #11 on: July 22, 2016, 03:14:36 PM
Having an injured shoulder, my first sling bag opened a world of possibilities I didn't even consider before.

It opened my eyes.

I love the quick acces it gives you and the ambidextrous design.

While they tend to be smaller and less capable volume.wise, on your comment of not being big enough I'll just say there's dozens of models available, from dozens of manufacturers.

Some are tactical, some outdoorsy, some complex, or really simple, from thin textile to +1000 D nylon, with MOLLE and attachment points or plain, etc.

I started small, went all the way to really big and fat sling bags and finally settled on two medium sized ones. my favorite

Just search for the measurements and dimensions before buying.  :salute:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #12 on: July 22, 2016, 06:45:26 PM
Found an old crappy pic, still can't wait to get things finished with the mini backpack I'm working on.. Don't get me wrong this bags nice but a little to small, yet a backpack is a little to big but it's weight is transferred on two straps rather then just one, that's why I'm trying to come up with something in between. I'm kinda done just gotta do the finishing touches then transfer everything over..
JR
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 114.36 KB)
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

ca Offline Gallows

Reply #13 on: July 24, 2016, 06:02:30 PM
I use a maxpedition mongo

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: July 25, 2016, 03:37:45 PM
Nice patches!

Def

ca Offline Gallows

Reply #15 on: July 25, 2016, 10:58:18 PM

us Offline Pacu

Reply #16 on: July 26, 2016, 12:22:30 AM

I just picked up a maxped sitka type s for edc. I'm right handed but find the type s to fit better , more natural i guess. I also wear my watch on my right hand  ::)

seems like maxped is clearing out their legacy products that made them what they are and promoting those AGR bags.
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: July 30, 2016, 11:27:29 AM
Here you go, Outdoor Product fanny pack with just the essentials. J/K but I really do use that fanny pack when I need it. Replaced the cheap elastic loops with tri-glides like it should have had if walmart didn't have to meet a pricepoint. I prodered gray plastic ones from Canada, trying to match...but they're a bit lighter than the buckle...

Actually though, for me, if we're talking about EVERY DAY carrying this bag...would be this tiny "Casus" pouch that I think is supposed to be a camera case.

I got it for $1 at a Japanese dollar store in Northridge, CA. I've looked online at similar ones and they're all over the place but not with this exact build.

We're talking about a $1 item here.  I bought it on a whim. And I use it allllllll the time. It's my wallet...it fits a swisschamp if you put it in sideways.
I often add it to a small fanny pack belt or just put it on a belt or clip it to something. Has the belt loop as well as the smaller loop on the edge.

It's not a waterproof zipper...but it does close tightly and operate smoothly, and the exterior is some kind of fake leather that's basically waterproofish, atleast can be whiped clean.

I put a small carabiner between both holes in the zipper pulls just for insurance if I'm cycling or something and want to not worry if my credit cards are still in there...wanna get a smaller, even tinier biner for this purpose.

Now I know I know...just a $1 pouch, but I have other pouches...hard drive cases, camera cases, neoprene, cordura...and this one I use every day...even around the house I might keep a few small parts or adaptors in it while working on various projects.

Would fit swisschamp next to cybertool L, though they would totally have it drooping...that's one thing about it, it's defintely not a rigid case, though it has proven to be durable.

20160730_015235.jpg
* 20160730_015235.jpg (Filesize: 102.16 KB)
20160730_015339.jpg
* 20160730_015339.jpg (Filesize: 149.21 KB)
20160730_015547.jpg
* 20160730_015547.jpg (Filesize: 82.4 KB)
20160730_015932.jpg
* 20160730_015932.jpg (Filesize: 85.6 KB)
-JJL
instagram: jamesjlarue (warning, lots of cat pics along with the SAKs)

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #18 on: July 30, 2016, 01:12:58 PM
How many EDC bag threads are there?
Well, here are mine. The briefcase EDCed for work, the fat monosling for leisure, the thin backpack for travels, the rest are backups.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%