Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fire Badge (Sticks & Hawk or Ferrocerium)

Spey · 13 · 1462

00 Offline Spey

Fire Badge (Sticks & Hawk or Ferrocerium)
on: July 21, 2016, 08:38:19 PM
One more try, as my thread from yesterday became un-viewable for some unknown reason after an admin made a comment into thread.

Kinda learning the protocols here, and wondering ..., does this qualify for a Fire Merit Badge/Award or any other(s)?

To answer the previous admin's question (on thread that got deleted):
Yes, I made the video along with the coals & fires in the videos.  :twak:
Could this perhaps qualify for a city-folk multi-tasker Merit Badge ...?  :pok:

The hawks and "kit" implements are all either made by me or have been modified by me (example: I did not make the paracord, but to my knowledge I am the first to use it in this manner - combined with my daily Hawk as a improvised bow to fire-start, and I have done file-work on the head of the hawk that indexes cordage for this purpose). I harvested the wood locally while hiking, and cut & split to size to make fireboard & spindle "kit" as a sizing test to know what I would do without a "kit" when I want to make fire in the field.

The Fatwood (used in one of the videos combined with a ferrocerium rod), I also harvested locally along a river I fish for steelhead & salmon from what appeared to be wind damaged or lightening struck tree.

So, I would say the real goal in my mind was to learn to make fire minimalistically (my Hawk that is always with me in the woods, and a shoe-lace - paracord, etc.). The "bearing" I keep on a short piece of paracord clipped to the outside of my pack could easily be substituted with a field-made wood bearing block (as most others videos illustrate) or a flat-center-dished palm-rock. So, to boil this down to a "kit" (as referenced in the Merit Badge), I would say it includes a piece of paracord & a bearing (approx 1/2" x 3" when bound together). A minimalistic/non-kit method that could also be done using only a knife, and a piece of field-made cordage, and some harvested wood.

As a reference point, the diameter of my spindle determines the rotational speed of the spindle (like gears on a bike - larger vs. smaller), and also determines how/where the indexing is on the fireboard. Additionally, I have found that I like to have spindle diameter ~equal to fireboard thickness so I first make the fireboard, then split off a piece of it to make into a spindle. For using good cordage (like paracord) I have found no reason to process the spindle past 6-8 equal sides (I process to round if spinning with hands vs. cordage, or when I just feel like spending a little more time with my hawk or knife :-) .

There are a number of fine points I like to follow related to the layout of the indexing point of spindle to fireboard that I will not bore everyone with here (well unless there are a few requests for a follow up related to more detailed info ;-) This mostly relates to the amount of friction generated and the amount of wood powder generated (I like to have big coals that allow me to split them in half as a backup means for those times something goes wrong in the process - illustrated in the longer video below making two coals out of one big one), and I like to spend a little more time during setup than unsuccessful frustratingly spinning a spindle. Good prep = less energy & frustration ... and easier success that is big for the win when it's needed.

Long version, was an instructional for a friend as he had been unable to make fire with this same kit (he had fingered the spindle as referenced in the video, and the video was to help illustrate the reason I believe he was unsuccessful was related to this):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK0A0rUQN2Q&list=PLKO2m4TQ_9r4TtiI449zwgjDfYYKk1vtZ&index=4

Here’s a shorter version for those with short attention spans:

Here's the 1st coal generated from that particular fireboard. Also, illustrats the layout pattern I was using to index the spindle based on size of spindle & fireboard:

And using a cheater stick (ferrocerium rod):

AND the typical goal of fire (provided you have the mean, I believe most would agree) CAMP BACON:

Hopefully something here helpful to someone.

Regards,
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 09:41:39 PM by Spey »
No Honey, that's always been in the safe ...

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Re: Fire Badge (Sticks & Hawk or Ferrocerium)
Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 09:47:24 PM
This is a very instructive and informative (the subtitles are great) video. Thank you, sir!  :salute:  :tu: :tu: :tu:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 10:00:49 PM
Running late so I'll keep this short.   ;)

Welcome to the boards Spey.   :cheers:   Congrats on your first badge.   :cheers:

I haven't watched the vid just yet but I'm happy awarding the badge in advance.
The first badge is always free but from now please read the links in my signature for info on how to request badges.
And of course ask questions if needed.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 04:48:05 PM
Almost afraid to comment as the other thread went cuckoo after I posted :D

Congrats on the badge Spey :cheers:

Running late so I'll keep this short.   ;)

Welcome to the boards Spey.   :cheers:   Congrats on your first badge.   :cheers:

I haven't watched the vid just yet but I'm happy awarding the badge in advance.
The first badge is always free but from now please read the links in my signature for info on how to request badges.
And of course ask questions if needed.

Zoid is way more knowledgeable about the merit badge threads and the link he mentioned will lead in the right direction :tu:

00 Offline Spey

Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 10:50:40 PM
This is a very instructive and informative (the subtitles are great) video. Thank you, sir!  :salute:  :tu: :tu: :tu:
ddogu,

Thx for the reply. Nice to hear you felt my thread informative/helpful to you.

My goal was to attempt a constructive contribution to your forum, and test the waters here.

I am sorry to say that I was fairly challenged by the forum infrastructure related to compiling this post/thread. Original effort got deleted for reasons that could not be explained to me, and it appears (from moderator PM's back to me - thank you for those PM's) that there are known forum issues related to posting embedded photos. Humble comment, from a NEWB here, would be to fix the problems making it easier for users to contribute :-) The easier contributing is, the more comprehensive contributions can be.

Pleases don't take this as being negative, but as a constructive comments related to potential improvement options.

Example: I spent time in Photoshop reducing image sizes for upload attachment (so thread images would be on the site of the thread v. stored elsewhere) to the less than 1024kb size threshold, and images were still rejected. Additionally, only one of my four links appear to have actually populated the post as I would expect on other forums I frequent. (again  Please take my comments as specifically illustrative examples with a goal that moderators could be able to effectively resolve the issues rather than simply push under the rug because a user complains without substantive feedback.

I  surprised to see such a high level of SAK support. Decades back if someone found you carrying a SAK outside of backpacking they kinda looked at you weird. Now it's kinda looking like it's turned into a tight of passage type of thing ... :-) I am kinda curious as to an overall forum demographic profile of the user-base here (the general feeling I am getting is Nor-Eastern of Cont.US ...) ?

Regards,
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 11:12:24 PM by Spey »

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 11:07:11 PM
We are always listening to what the members have to say and are constantly improving things in the back round.
The issue with your deleted thread happens here (and in other forums) once every few years and I believe isn't something we can just tweak to fix.
Hang out a bit and I think you'll find most of us pretty relaxed and easy to get on with.

00 Offline Spey

Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 11:09:49 PM
zoidberg,

I researched the merit badge page prior to posting my 1st related thread (this one), and thought I followed pretty closely (exception related to my inability to post a simple attachment photo). It appears you are stating I have not followed guidelines of  the forum, and you are graciously overlooking my first timer offense. Thank you for pointing me to your signature link, except I do not see a signature link on my device viewing via Tapatalk. Could I trouble you for an embedded link in a post in this thread (or PM), and/or some specifics to your references about what I should have done so that I might easily review what you reference to (thank you).

Realistically, I really don't see how these merit badges actually bennifits the user or the forum, unless the user actually takes time to post something helpful to another forum participant (hopefully my example illustrative).

Perhaps someone could enlighten me to the bennies of this program (merit badges). In Scouts (B.S.A.) it was about learning the crafts, and being  acknowledged by your piers for your accomplishments as the individuals getting stronger makes the team stronger/better allowing greater progression than any one individual could achieve.  Posting a photo of a flashlight to earn a light merit badge ... (I struggle to understand, help me to see the light ...?).

Regards,
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 11:15:46 PM by Spey »

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 11:16:23 PM
Here is a copy of my signature.   :cheers:

Official Multitool.org Merit Badge Instruction Thread. Older how to is here.

00 Offline Spey

Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 11:34:22 PM
zoidberg,

Yes  I have already seen/felt a much more "relaxed" attitude on this forum, compared to most others I frequent. I do appreciate this! and, in general why I have chosen to take the time to participate.

You explained to me (in PM) that you believe my post getting deleted to be an unusual "glitch". I fully accept this, and thank you.

My comments related to improvement were more related to being told that my problem related to image attachment were somewhat typical and that should consider forgetting about this option and host images off site.

This practise would (from what I read in this forums guidelines) be frowned on, with a statement that moderators would drink all my beers.

More importantly, it's my position that if I spend the time to post something constructive that includes images  it makes sense to me that the images be hosted on the same site as the thread.

Otherwise, if I re-organise my images (PhotoBucketfolder folders example) past links to embedded photos will be broken. Kinda like going to the library to research the origin of Michael Walker Liner Lock  and the illustration depicting the recurve on the blade tange face has been torn from the book (kinda sucks and makes the whole research effort less effective, and I will not understand the significance his his design and how simple little differences can have significant value).

Hopefully my example is congruent in interpretation to the constructive comments I am attempting to make ...

Regards,
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 11:40:13 PM by Spey »

00 Offline Spey

Reply #9 on: July 22, 2016, 11:44:01 PM

FYI,
1st link takes me to a trending thread (not related to merit badge info). I am reviewing the other link now (older how to - merit badge page).
thank you

Regards,
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 11:45:57 PM by Spey »

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: July 22, 2016, 11:45:46 PM
I fully get what you are saying.
However it wasn't me that PMed you.
Would also say most don't have issues attaching pics (myself included).
And I have a flickr account for all my MTo pics, well over a thousand now, which doesn't need reorganizing...
We even offer hosting here onsite at the http://gallery.multitool.org/ if you would like an account.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: July 22, 2016, 11:53:27 PM

FYI,
1st link takes me to a trending thread (not related to merit badge info). I am reviewing the other link now (older how to - merit badge page).
thank you

Regards,

1st link (sticky in general tool discussion) http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,59292.0.html
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 11:55:32 PM by zoidberg »

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: July 23, 2016, 12:02:53 AM
Extra note, as a junior member it didn't bother me so much but now broken pic links get to me.
We have some who post lots of pics and within days they are just dead links.
I don't see the point of such an attitude, seriously why bother.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%