Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Hubeo/Dreizack imitation?

Offline becky7101

• New User
Hubeo/Dreizack imitation?
on: July 22, 2016, 01:40:06 AM
Hi all--
I just came across this kit at a local flea market. It looks like some of the pictures of vintage Hubeo or Dreizack multi-tools I found on the internet, but I think that the kit is a knock-off. My reasons are: there is a plastic liner inside the cover; there are no brand identifications on any of the tools or on the case; some of the components are plastic. What do you all think? It doesn't matter to me--I'm not concerned about value or collectability--just curious and interested. Everything seems to be usable and handy, and the price at the flea market was right.
Thanks for your expertise--
Becky
IMG_1617.JPG
* IMG_1617.JPG (Filesize: 124.99 KB)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Hubeo/Dreizack imitation?
Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 05:31:43 AM

Hi Becky, welcome to Multitool.org! :tu:

I don't think I would exactly classify this kit as a "knock-off." Interchangeable-blade knife & tool kits like this were produced by many different companies, over the course of many years. The two you mention, Hubeo and Dreizack, were certainly among the better quality offerings. However lots of other companies, including cutlery firms from France, Great Britain, United States, Japan, and other countries also produced kits, albeit with varying degrees of quality.

Judging by the looks of the kit you pictured, the plastic lining, and the fact that there are no tang stamps on the tools, I would guess that it came from Japan in the 1970's.  (German firms were still producing knife/tool kits at this time, but they were typically well marked, whereas Japanese cutlery from that era were either unmarked or stamped only with the name of the importer.)

All pure conjecture on my part though....hope that helps!

Bob :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 06:17:13 AM
I've got nothing to add sorry.  I just wanted to say I'm glad you're back J-sews  :salute:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 05:07:21 AM
Good to be back, thanks! :tu:

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 01:01:09 PM
Nice kit you found and welcome to the forum. :waving:

In addition to all what J-sews said, I'd only add that this appears to be a mix and match of the original content of the kit with the addition of a few newer tools to replace some lost/missing or broken parts.

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 04:46:08 AM
I can't see the tang stamp on the knife/handle but judging from the style of the connections(hooks)and the engraved stainless handles on the knife I would venture that it is likely German made albeit on of the inexpensive models. The Japanese kits tend to favor the double lobe connection(sort of looks like the end of a dog cookie).The engraved metal handles are also used on inexpensive English made knives such as Richards but I don't recall ever seeing an English made tool set.
This one is probably the most complete one I have seen;nice catch!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 03:54:55 PM
Great point about the blade connections Ray, :salute: although as usual there are exceptions to every rule. In this case, I've got a kit marked SEKI from Japan that does have the hook-style connections.

Still though, you are correct, the kit Becky pictured may well be from Germany.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%