Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Can use a little help, need some ideas..

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Can use a little help, need some ideas..
on: July 22, 2016, 02:55:47 AM
Ok, I need to pick your brains, especially you machinists! I want to try my hand at something new and I need some type of rotating vice, but kinda unique, it's also needs a little weight to it cause there's going to be some tapping, here's a few pics, one of the setups that I'm trying to replicate my own.. That pic of the all metal one is like the best of the best, but it's also like $200 and up! Why you say,
1, it's heavy so it will not move around plus it will dampen the shock
2, as you can see it will pivot around 360,
And
3, that it also spins higher up, so as you tip it forward it will also spin around..

These other two homemade setups are kinda neat, that bowling ball would be almost perfect if it was cut in half and had a lazy Susan, its rotatable, yes and it has the 360 but you also have to spin the entire ball, and that other little setup is kinda neat, it tips yes and locks, but light weight and spins around two easy. So I was just wondering if anyone out there can come up with any other ideas for something? Cause I'm just out of ideas..
JR

* image.jpeg (Filesize: 34.6 KB)
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 111.23 KB)
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 31.52 KB)
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Can use a little help, need some ideas..
Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 05:01:38 AM
Those look like jeweller's pin vices.  They are usually used for crafting rings and doing detail work.

You could try using frame clamps and attach a jig with holes that you could fit the pins in to recreate the top part.

For a rotating adjustable base, that might be a bit more challenging. Maybe a Ram mount clamped or bolted to the workbench might work?  That might not give you the stability you want for tapping, but it would give you the angles you want for working on the project.

Maybe for tapping you could disconnect the top half and work it flat on the desk?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 05:23:49 AM
Are you going to make some coin art?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 07:00:15 AM
Are you going to make some coin art?
That's what I'm thinking, I've wanted to try my hand a hobo nickels for a while just never got to it..
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 08:36:14 AM
 :shrug: I guess no one has any ideas? Oh well, sooner or later I might get somewhere, it's just one thing after another after another :poh:
JR

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 01:48:05 PM
If the problem with the ball is that it's heavy to change position maybe it could work to have a couple of "ball wheels" (I have no idea what to call them) for it to move on.

Or would that be to easily moved instead?

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 02:18:04 PM
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 05:31:22 PM
If the problem with the ball is that it's heavy to change position maybe it could work to have a couple of "ball wheels" (I have no idea what to call them) for it to move on.
(Image removed from quote.)

Or would that be to easily moved instead?
Ball casters, (I think) the thing is you don't want the bottom of the ball to move easy, but the upper half to glide. If you look at the first pic I posted(the metal ball) you'll notice that the ball is cut in half, the base will move but only if want it to, thus the heavy weight, but the upper half will spin very easy if unlocked.
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 05:36:04 PM

:think: :think: :think:

How about making a leather sandbag for the bowling ball set up to sit on/in

Sandbag
http://www.frost.co.uk/panel-beating-sandbags.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjwztG8BRCJgseTvZLctr8BEiQAA_kBD4Fnugg2Wff6scCTVUH-D8tKXhe5uZMlXdkZ5MrfG0MaAs4O8P8HAQ
Not a bad idea, that would absorb the shock too, but if I had to would go with the baking pan, heck there only like $1, or even one of those dogs water dishes, there like the same but with a rubber bottom to prevent them from moving..
JR

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 12:48:53 AM
Looking at many of the ideas here I have to wonder if perhaps the money you may save by not just buying the proper tool may not be worth it?  I think I would keep an eye on the local Craigslist (or not so local since we have a pretty good network here) and see if you can get a decent used one.  The few dollars you may save by trying to build something "close enough" may come back to bite you in the butt later on.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline wayne10mm

Reply #10 on: July 28, 2016, 02:28:10 AM
There is a vise company by the name of panavise look them up

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 28, 2016, 02:43:58 AM
Securing the Castor vice from your first post to a bench or something heavy, a friction lock could be fashioned off one of the bolts, either by a cam lever or a block with a turning screw to set a desired resistance. You can get some pretty hefty castors too.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: August 09, 2016, 06:35:18 AM
Hmmm, interesting..
JR

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: August 09, 2016, 06:38:38 AM
 :popcorn:

:D
Everything’s adjustable

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85