Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Advice for UK Legal Carry SOG Multitool mainly for bike maintenance?

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Hi - I want to get a full-size multitool, primarily as an EDC in my bike bag for both emergency and regular bike maintenance, though it will also be used to electrical and light DIY work around the house and around the campsite when bicycle touring (though if not on my bike, and going more into the wilds I'd probably take something lighter). One of my main issues though is that it has to be UK Legal carry - this means no knives longer than 3" and (importantly) no locking blades of any sort - as I understand it, it's possible this can also be interpreted by the police as meaning no locking saw blade either is permitted, though a non-locking one should be fine

Don't you just love our knife laws! As least they haven't banned OHO knives yet, unlike Demmark, so I can still carry my Spyderco Urban slip joint knife and have a decent blade on me.

Anyway, I Understand that, unlike most other brands, SOGs can be user-modified and blades/tools removed and replaced with others of a similar shape/size - though am not sure how far you can go with this, nor whether all separate components are available in the UK.

So - what which SOG multitool would you recommend I start with as a base? I'd like something not too large and heavy and with the following minimum features (though some I guess could be modded-in)

* Good pliers (both normal and needle nose, ideally)! Compound leverage would be nice, but not essential
* Good wirecutters (for both bike brake/gear cables, as well as electrical cables)
* Hex bit socket (are the SOG ones for regular 1/4" bits, unlike Leatherman?) - for my bike need to use a variety of hex bits, but primarily 4mm and 5mm, also Torx 20 and 25 and Phillips #1 and #2
* Philips #1 or #2 screwdriver without having to dig out a hex bit, as may not always want to carry the bits, as would large (and/ormedium) and small flat screwdrivers
* A good strong file, preferably double-side fine/coarse, and even triple-sided with a narrow file on the edge

These features would also be welcome, though I could live without them:

* Bottle opener!
* Can opener
* Awl (though may be an issue if it's locking, though might be okay)
* Wire stripper (though could just use by Spyderco knife for that)
* Wire crimper

Nice to have:

* Saw (preferably non-locking, though I may be able to get away with a locking saw)
* Ruler (metric!)
* Scissors

BTW can you use any regular hex bit extension socket with a SOG multitool, to get into awkward to reach places?

Would the SOG Powerplay with Hex Bit kit be a reasonable starting point? I'd have to remove all the blades, though...
http://www.sogknives.com/type/multi-tools/powerplay-hex.html

Alternatively maybe the Paratool?
http://www.sogknives.com/type/multi-tools/paratool.html

The multi-angle pliers might be useful to get into difficult spots on my bike, and it's lighter than the Powerplay, though less tools, no wirecrimper and doesn't come with the hex bit kit. Are the pliers better/stronger on the Powerplay, though?

Any other suggestions? Thanks!
"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
In my opinion (and I'm not a lawyer, just a middle aged, middle class white guy) having a multi tool as part of a bike toolkit is a good enough reason to carry a locking blade. As long as it's tucked away in your saddle bag and you're discreet when using it you'll be OK.

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

In my opinion (and I'm not a lawyer, just a middle aged, middle class white guy) having a multi tool as part of a bike toolkit is a good enough reason to carry a locking blade. As long as it's tucked away in your saddle bag and you're discreet when using it you'll be OK.

Sorry, I'm not willing to take the risk
"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
I'm pretty sure that if an individual officer considered a locking saw blade to be illegal, then his superiors would correct him if you refused to give it up! The legislation as I remember it was written specifically for knives and saws and other implements were not mentioned at all.

The locking blade however is a grey area. What constitutes a "good reason" to carry it? We know that anglers are fine having a knife in their tackle box, personally I don't see the difference between that and a cyclist having one in their toolkit. I'd fancy my chances with a copper if I did get stop/searched anyway.

But if you don't fancy it - how about a Leatherman Kick with a bit adapter? Lightweight, compact, pretty well featured and of course completely legal. No saw though.

I used to come here a lot.

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Apparently the newer SOG bit driver doesn't work well unless you clamp on the handles and the bits tend to turn in the socket otherwise. Also the compound leverage is a great concept but only works well for small-ish nuts, due to the handles opening up twice aa much compared to normal pliers. Of course, YMMV.

I've been in your shoes ever since I moved to the UK a few years ago and I've resorted to carrying moded knifeless MTs. In the rotation I now have:
* a Vic Spirit sans blade/saw/awl/scraper (added lanyard loop and spacers, thinking of throwing in a Vic scaler just for the ruler).
* a Paratool sans blades/saw, plus LM Wave-style scissors.
* a LM Rebar sans blades/saw/awl, plus LM Wave-style scissors.
* a butchered LM Charge TTi sans blades/saw.

I've been contemplating removing the blade from my LM pulse as well but haven't gotten round to it yet.

When not around school I may go for a Juice CS4 or KF4, and soon I'll have a PST II in the mix, or I complement the knifeless MT with a Vic Cadet/Pioneer/Compact.

Keep in mind, though, that even a <3' non-locking blade isn't "safe" per se, as anything can be classified as an offensive weapon under UK Prevention of Crime Act 1953...

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Apparently the newer SOG bit driver doesn't work well unless you clamp on the handles and the bits tend to turn in the socket otherwise. Also the compound leverage is a great concept but only works well for small-ish nuts, due to the handles opening up twice aa much compared to normal pliers. Of course, YMMV.

Okay, that's a shame about the bit driver - it's not essential for my use case, though, as I already have a tiny 1/4 ratcheting spanner set, the Topeak Rocket Ratchet Lite DX, which is great for working on my bicycle: http://www.topeak.com/products/Mini-Tools/ratchetrocketlitedx it just would've been nice as an extra option.

It's even compatible with Leatherman bits, though if needing an extension, I would have to use the Leatherman one with their bit, but at least that works with normal bits too

I've been in your shoes ever since I moved to the UK a few years ago and I've resorted to carrying moded knifeless MTs. In the rotation I now have:
* a Vic Spirit sans blade/saw/awl/scraper (added lanyard loop and spacers, thinking of throwing in a Vic scaler just for the ruler).
* a Paratool sans blades/saw, plus LM Wave-style scissors.
* a LM Rebar sans blades/saw/awl, plus LM Wave-style scissors.
* a butchered LM Charge TTi sans blades/saw.

Quite a range! But I think a SOG is the only one of the above I would feel comfortable modding myself. You also raised another point - a locking awl could raise some eyebrows with the Police too - and the Leatherman Knifeless Rebar has both a locking saw and awl...

I've been contemplating removing the blade from my LM pulse as well but haven't gotten round to it yet.

When not around school I may go for a Juice CS4 or KF4, and soon I'll have a PST II in the mix, or I complement the knifeless MT with a Vic Cadet/Pioneer/Compact.

Keep in mind, though, that even a <3' non-locking blade isn't "safe" per se, as anything can be classified as an offensive weapon under UK Prevention of Crime Act 1953...

Sure, but a <3 non-locking blade is not intrinsically illegal to carry in the UK and you don't have to provide an excuse for carrying it, but obviously if you act like a dick with it, e.g. walking along with it open in your hand on the street, you're still going to get into trouble, especially in the current climate. You could even get charged with using an umbrella as an offensive weapon if you tried to push it into someone's face...

My Spyderco Urban is UK-carry legal, but still quite aggressive-looking to muggles, so for the office and other more sensitive places I just carry a Vic Bantam or Soldier or similar, and nearly always also a Vic Rambler in my coin pocket.

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

I'm pretty sure that if an individual officer considered a locking saw blade to be illegal, then his superiors would correct him if you refused to give it up! The legislation as I remember it was written specifically for knives and saws and other implements were not mentioned at all.

The locking blade however is a grey area. What constitutes a "good reason" to carry it? We know that anglers are fine having a knife in their tackle box, personally I don't see the difference between that and a cyclist having one in their toolkit. I'd fancy my chances with a copper if I did get stop/searched anyway.

But if you don't fancy it - how about a Leatherman Kick with a bit adapter? Lightweight, compact, pretty well featured and of course completely legal. No saw though.

Another alternative - I think I've found somewhere where I can actually get a  Leatherman Knifeless Fuse (this is long out of production) - this has no knife, saw, or awl, but what it does have all looks pretty useful: You can see it's toolset here:  http://leatherman.co.uk/product/Knifeless_Fuse

It's a nice light tool as well, only 170g. No built-in bit driver, but is compatible with the bit holder extension that first over the Phllips screwdriver, if I wanted that as an option.

Not entirely convinced by the Zytel handles, as probably less durable than the rest of the tool, but I guess at least they would make it comfortable to hold.

What do you think of this as an option for my use case?

I wish Victorinox did a UK-carry legal Swisstool Spirit, though!

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

The Kick is out of production (though probably still available if I searched enough, I've managed to find a Knifeless Fuse for example), also it has a knife blade, although not locking in the same way as on the normal Fuse, I think it would still be counted as a locking blade, as with the handles closed, it is effectively locked into place still.

Also, I do actually want non-knife tools to lock!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
The Knifeless Fuse is basically the standard Fuse, but they swapped the knife blade for a file. Everything it does have however, does lock:

The Kick does have a blade, but its < 3" and nothing locks.

I'm afraid I've been out of the loop for a while so I don't know how easy any of these might be to find any of these retired tools :/

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

The Knifeless Fuse is basically the standard Fuse, but they swapped the knife blade for a file. Everything it does have however, does lock:

The Kick does have a blade, but its < 3" and nothing locks.

I'm afraid I've been out of the loop for a while so I don't know how easy any of these might be to find any of these retired tools :/

The Fuse looks the more useful tool, I want the tools to lock, I just don't want a locking knife! Is/was the Fuse generally considered a decent model to get?

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Yeah, it is (was) a perfectly good tool. Don't let the Zytel put you off, it does nothing structural and is there to provide a more comfortable grip if you really have to put some oomph into cutting with the pliers. It largely manages that too.

It might be worth waiting to see if anyone else chips in with suggestions though as I say I've been out of the loop for a good few years and there could easily be something more suitable that I'm not aware of. That said, I'm confident the Fuse would serve you perfectly well if you can find one. Have a look at the bit adapter too which turns the phillips driver into a hex bit holder - would be useful on a bike I'm sure for allen bits.

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Yeah, it is (was) a perfectly good tool. Don't let the Zytel put you off, it does nothing structural and is there to provide a more comfortable grip if you really have to put some oomph into cutting with the pliers. It largely manages that too.

It might be worth waiting to see if anyone else chips in with suggestions though as I say I've been out of the loop for a good few years and there could easily be something more suitable that I'm not aware of. That said, I'm confident the Fuse would serve you perfectly well if you can find one. Have a look at the bit adapter too which turns the phillips driver into a hex bit holder - would be useful on a bike I'm sure for allen bits.

Thanks Dave, as I said, I think I've found somewhere where I can buy a Fuse, but am awaiting confirmation. If I got that, I'd certainly get the Bit Adaptor that slots on the Phillips driver, it has most of the bits that I would need for my bike (the most important being the 5mm and 4mm hex bits). Thanks for the info. about the Zytel.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Ok, so having read all the spins this thread's doing and all, my pick would be a SOG PPP. Why?

+ Non locking blade, and less than 3 inches
+ Lightweight tool, slim and flat
+ Powerful needlenose jaws and nice cutters, with C.Leverage, flat head design allows to lay the jaws completely flat on surfaces (comes useful at times)
+ Strong gripping action, very fine tip, easy to flip open with one hand while the other is doing things
+ Easily to mod, to take out the blade and incorporate a SOG 1/4 bit driver, for instance
+ Comes with a dedicated Phillips driver

- None of the tools/implements lock
- Has no bit driver included per se,but you can add it later
- Can be uncomfortable if you apply lots of pressure
- Has no clip, that might be a problem to some
- Handle splay limits the size of nuts you can manipulate

So, I believe it's the one that fits you tthe best while still being available/in current production. What do you all say, guys?  :salute:

PS: On a second note, the FUSE is indeed a fantastic tool and capable, durable and versatile while being light enough for pocket carry, IMO
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Yup - the PPP is good shout too - but I think he wants locking tools, just not a locking blade / saw.

Tbh, I think you'd get by with either equally well.

@Oxford_Guy - Get both :D

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Ok, so having read all the spins this thread's doing and all, my pick would be a SOG PPP. Why?

(Image removed from quote.)

+ Non locking blade, and less than 3 inches
+ Lightweight tool, slim and flat
+ Powerful needlenose jaws and nice cutters, with C.Leverage, flat head design allows to lay the jaws completely flat on surfaces (comes useful at times)
+ Strong gripping action, very fine tip, easy to flip open with one hand while the other is doing things
+ Easily to mod, to take out the blade and incorporate a SOG 1/4 bit driver, for instance
+ Comes with a dedicated Phillips driver

- None of the tools/implements lock
- Has no bit driver included per se,but you can add it later
- Can be uncomfortable if you apply lots of pressure
- Has no clip, that might be a problem to some
- Handle splay limits the size of nuts you can manipulate

So, I believe it's the one that fits you tthe best while still being available/in current production. What do you all say, guys?  :salute:

PS: On a second note, the FUSE is indeed a fantastic tool and capable, durable and versatile while being light enough for pocket carry, IMO

Thanks for supplying all that information, all very useful! I think I'm going to try to see if I can buy the Knifeless Fuse I found, though, but if not, the PPP looks like a good alternative option, though think I will need to mod it a little.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
There is a version of the PowerLock that is supposed to be allowable on airplanes by the TSA here in the US, and has no saw or a blade.   It's called the Traveler, and has three flathead, one Phillips, one Robertson in screwdrivers, a bottle opener, can opener, file, and scissors.   Looks to cover everything you need but the saw.

http://www.sogknives.com/travelers.html

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

There is a version of the PowerLock that is supposed to be allowable on airplanes by the TSA here in the US, and has no saw or a blade.   It's called the Traveler, and has three flathead, one Phillips, one Robertson in screwdrivers, a bottle opener, can opener, file, and scissors.   Looks to cover everything you need but the saw.

Looks like it's a well-equipped tool, though looks larger and heavier than what I'm looking for - it's 258g / 9.1 Oz, whereas the Knifeless Fuse is only 170g / 6 Oz and considerably smaller. Seems odd that it's one of Sog's larger and heavier MTs that they decided to convert into a "Traveler"!

BTW I doubt you'd be allowed to carry any multitool on a European flight, especially not one with scissors - I think a rounded butterknife is about the only implement you're allowed!

BTW what's a Robertson screwdriver? Never heard of that before - Phillips, Pozidriv, Torx, Hex, Slotted yes, but not Robertson!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas

Looks like it's a well-equipped tool, though looks larger and heavier than what I'm looking for - it's 258g / 9.1 Oz, whereas the Knifeless Fuse is only 170g / 6 Oz and considerably smaller. Seems odd that it's one of Sog's larger and heavier MTs that they decided to convert into a "Traveler"!

BTW I doubt you'd be allowed to carry any multitool on a European flight, especially not one with scissors - I think a rounded butterknife is about the only implement you're allowed!

BTW what's a Robertson screwdriver? Never heard of that before - Phillips, Pozidriv, Torx, Hex, Slotted yes, but not Robertson!

Welcome to :MTO:

Seems that you have been given a lot of options already :cheers:

The Robertson bit is a screw with a square in the top so you need a square ended bit for it :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
If you have found a knifeless Fuse then jump on it as they are discontinued and have been for some time :cheers:

Then you can get a Leatherman Bit adapter that fits over the square shank of the Phillips and turns it into a bit driver :tu:

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Welcome to :MTO:

Seems that you have been given a lot of options already :cheers:

The Robertson bit is a screw with a square in the top so you need a square ended bit for it :tu:

Thanks for the welcome! Yes am new here, have only owned SAKs and Spydercos up to now, but want to take the plunge and get a MT.

Don't think I've ever seem a a Robertson screw in the UK!

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

If you have found a knifeless Fuse then jump on it as they are discontinued and have been for some time :cheers:

Then you can get a Leatherman Bit adapter that fits over the square shank of the Phillips and turns it into a bit driver :tu:

Okay, am on it!  :)

Will post here if I manage to snag one.

Am I right in thinking that bit driver can use both regular 1/4 bits as well as slotted Leatherman bits? If so - winner!  :D

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice

Okay, am on it!  :)

Will post here if I manage to snag one.

Am I right in thinking that bit driver can use both regular 1/4 bits as well as slotted Leatherman bits? If so - winner!  :D

Yep that's right. It's this one you want:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leatherman-Removable-Bit-Driver-with-10-bits-for-Rebar-Juice-Supertool-/262538121211?hash=item3d207dcffb:g:SxoAAOSwyjBW6Iz8

I know nothing about that seller incidentally - it was the first hit on my search :)

au Online Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Welcome to the forum OG - Another bike riding multitool fan - Brilliant   :tu:

I guess you have never installed (or scrutinised) decking !
I have no idea why - But in the UK decking screws are nearly always Robertsons (not sure if we call them that tho')
They are very, very common in Canada (invented by a Canadian bloke) - and you will often hear the Canucks on this forum moaning that they are not as common as they should be on MTs!!   :o  ;)  :D

Re the problem.
I have a small bike toolkit:
  • Bike specific MT - You know hexes, flat, phillips drivers only - available in all bike shops and very cheap!
  • Tyre levers
  • Bike spanners - box and flat
  • Punture outfit
  • Spare inner tube
  • And there is a small adjustable wrench in there too (possibly overkill)
When I cycle I just throw my normal SAK (Huntsman or such like) into that kit (or have it elsewhere - in a panier etc)
So that takes care of the legal stuff

I am well equiped and can do everything I need to on a bike
I think you don't really need a traditional multi on a bike! Eg wrenches and hexes much more useful than pliers

One slight problem, if you are really worried about weight, my kit is quite heavy! 

And not to say a knifeless Fuse is not a great tool to have for use/carry around the UK - Go for it!!  :tu:
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 01:54:58 AM by Huntsman »

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
If you've managed to find a source for knifeless fuses and they have more than one available, please let us know. I know I'd love to get one again. I swapped mine away several years ago as the zytel inserts made the handles too wide for my liking (at least compared to the Spirit I edc'ed back then) and have definitely regretted it...

Btw the reason why I personally opt for completely bladeless, as opposed to non-locking bladed, MTs is that I spend most of my days on or around a university campus, and when I head to a pub that usually is straight after work. In these settings, I'd rather be on the safe side of the law. I understand that you want a tool for your bike, but if there is a chance you might want to have it on you at all times, think twice.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 03:18:34 AM by Nikos »

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
The PPP would suit your needs very well. If you could find an original PowerPlier that would give you lots of room for additional tools. But they have been out of production for a while.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Welcome to the forum OG - Another bike riding multitool fan - Brilliant   :tu:

I guess you have never installed (or scrutinised) decking !
I have no idea why - But in the UK decking screws are nearly always Robertsons (not sure if we call them that tho')
They are very, very common in Canada (invented by a Canadian bloke) - and you will often hear the Canucks on this forum moaning that they are not as common as they should be on MTs!!   :o  ;)  :D

Re the problem.
I have a small bike toolkit:
  • Bike specific MT - You know hexes, flat, phillips drivers only - available in all bike shops and very cheap!
  • Tyre levers
  • Bike spanners - box and flat
  • Punture outfit
  • Spare inner tube
  • And there is a small adjustable wrench in there too (possibly overkill)
When I cycle I just throw my normal SAK (Huntsman or such like) into that kit (or have it elsewhere - in a panier etc)
So that takes care of the legal stuff

I am well equiped and can do everything I need to on a bike
I think you don't really need a traditional multi on a bike! Eg wrenches and hexes much more useful than pliers

One slight problem, if you are really worried about weight, my kit is quite heavy! 

And not to say a knifeless Fuse is not a great tool to have for use/carry around the UK - Go for it!!  :tu:

Sure, I carry around something similar at the moment, but would like a more elegant/flexible tool that is also useful in non-bike situations.

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

If you've managed to find a source for knifeless fuses and they have more than one available, please let us know. I know I'd love to get one again. I swapped mine away several years ago as the zytel inserts made the handles too wide for my liking (at least compared to the Spirit I edc'ed back then) and have definitely regretted it...

Okay, will do - I know what you mean about the handles, I prefer the Knifeless Rebar in this regard, and think it looks more elegant, but not sure I can take the risk with the locking awl and saw.

Btw the reason why I personally opt for completely bladeless, as opposed to non-locking bladed, MTs is that I spend most of my days on or around a university campus, and when I head to a pub that usually is straight after work. In these settings, I'd rather be on the safe side of the law. I understand that you want a tool for your bike, but if there is a chance you might want to have it on you at all times, think twice.

Indeed, this is another reason why I want to have my MT bladeless - I then have the option whether to carry a seperate knife or not.

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
If I were a policeman I would not believe you need a Knife for bike maintenance...

I don´t think UK police were so stupids to believe that

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

If I were a policeman I would not believe you need a Knife for bike maintenance...

But if I carry a separate sub 3" non-locking blade I don't have to provide any reason for carrying that, according to the law, unless I'm using it in an offensive manner or inappropriate place.

A policeman might not believe why I need a locking awl and saw for bike maintenance, though, which is why I'm considering trying to get a knifeless Fuse, but if they only care about actual knife blades, I'd actually prefer knifeless Rebar, as would be more flexible and is, I think, a bit thinner width-wise, as doesn't have the Zydex handle inserts.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice

It's not really a question of stupidity, its a question of common sense prevailing. I have have been asked about my Charge when (discreetly) cutting my daughters fruit in a mall cafe, and the policeman's only comment was "is this the TTi"? He himself had a Wave on his belt. They have better things to do than arrest people for silly things generally.

Now of course if I had been waving the thing around (or any knife for that matter) then they'd have taken a very different view I'm sure.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD