Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I can see through my new black-scaled SAKs

00 Offline Swiss Reformer

I can see through my new black-scaled SAKs
on: July 23, 2016, 07:06:04 PM
One of my favorite SAKs is a black Spartan.  Been out of the SAK game awhile, and wanted to get one again.

I purchased on new on ebay.  Great knife, etc..., but when I looked at the scale in the light, I could actually see the darker lines of created by the thicker areas of plastic on the 'support bars' that go left to right across the width on the inside of the scale.

Thought it was a one-off, so I ordered another - again, new and on ebay (which I doubt has any relation to this issue), but different seller.  Same thing.  Anyone else notice this?  I've never seen this before on the many (!) black SAKs I've owned in the past.  I've bought some new red scaled knives recently that were find.  Just kind of odd! 

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Re: I can see through my new black-scaled SAKs
Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 08:06:11 PM
Interesting. I haven't noticed anything like that myself, but I guess one of the experts will chime in soon.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 08:42:45 PM
I just got in a few black explorers from amazon.  Now I have to go have a look.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 10:13:46 PM
Sounds like Victorinox is making things thinner to save money. Yet another reason to go alox!!!
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 11:57:46 PM
That is strange ??? Let's just hope it is a bad run of them and that it doesn't happen anymore :-\

us Offline cali-SAK-attack

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 02:41:16 AM
 :worthless:

Interesting , I would return them if I was unhappy.  :tu:
***CLICK on my pics to see actual sized photo :)

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 02:51:53 AM
I got 30+ sets of black scales a few months back straight from Ibach and none of them had this see through effect. :rant:

I want those fancy scales too. :ahhh

Seriously though, just checked the few sets I still have and they are all solid.

Would love to see some pics of the ones you got. :salute:

us Offline cody6268

Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 02:54:56 AM
Makes me wonder if, perhaps, if some translucent onyx pellets got mixed in accidentally with the black pellets when they were pouring it into the molding equipment to make black scales.

I'd like to see them--I'm sure they look cool!

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 03:07:22 AM
Ya mine are all normal opaque black.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 04:05:54 AM
All mine are the normal boring black.  Not anything like translucent ones!  That would be cool though!

00 Offline Swiss Reformer

Reply #10 on: July 24, 2016, 06:50:49 AM
The light and angle must be right, and it is not as if they are fully see-thru, but more like the 'support strips' (for lack of a better term) are more like shadows that you can see.  The scales are opaque in appearance, but the support strip lines appear through the front of the scale like darker areas/shadows, and are visible from the front.

I may try to take a pic, but it might be difficult for a camera to capture it well.

Personally, I don't like it - though I gotta admit, it is interesting! - and am glad to hear that no one has similar examples.

Thanks for the replies!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 06:53:23 AM by Swiss Reformer »

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 19, 2017, 01:04:55 AM
I've just found out this old topic and decided to resurect it bacause i've been seeing this exact problem on a lot of newer classic cellidor scales, so i don't think it's just a bad batch of them. I'm preety sure they've change either the composition of the cellidor plactic or the manufacture of them. It just looks and feels slightly different...
I've seen what's described by Swiss Reformer on 3 of the saks i bought last year, 2 tinkers and 1 super tinker. The super tinker and one tinker have both scales like that, the other tinker (current edc) had only the back scale like that and the "normal" glossy red front scale.
It bothered me a bit so i poped that scale off and put in a replacement i had to match the front one.

If you look at the scale at the right angle you'll see a kind of a "foggy" dull patina on it, not the vivid bright glossy classic red. On that patina you'll notice the "shadows" of the inner ribbs and rivet holes of the scale on the other side. There is no seethrough effect tho, it is totally opaque.
That "patina" is kind of it's been rubbed on the box carbord, with some micro scratches on it on one of them, but it's brand new from factory.

Here are some pics, not very noticeble there, you can see it much better in the flesh
WP_20170118_22_52_55_Pro_e.jpg
* WP_20170118_22_52_55_Pro_e.jpg (Filesize: 243.6 KB)
WP_20170118_23_01_45_Pro.jpg
* WP_20170118_23_01_45_Pro.jpg (Filesize: 190.57 KB)
WP_20170118_23_03_47_Pro.jpg
* WP_20170118_23_03_47_Pro.jpg (Filesize: 146.89 KB)
WP_20170118_23_51_42_Pro.jpg
* WP_20170118_23_51_42_Pro.jpg (Filesize: 190.34 KB)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 01:10:28 AM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 19, 2017, 02:25:41 AM
Im not a fan of the hollow/braced style scales to begin with. On any vintage ones I repair, I always use the correct older style solid ones. Of course most of the cool colors will be the hollowed style. It doesn't bother me on nylon scales. But with cellador, you're not able to sand and buff out the scales as many times (wall becomes too thin) and they don't always feel solid against the outer liners (theres a bit of give to them if you squeeze them).

I've witnessed the see thru effect (not translucency but actually the shapes underneeth causing a physical distortion in the surface) sometimes you can sand and rebuff after installing to remove any ripples or flat spots that show up on the surface. I may try filling the newer style scales with epoxy (except for the bushing holes and T&T slots of course to sort of stabilize them.

I really like the nylon ones though...just pop them on and never do anything to them after that.
-JJL
instagram: jamesjlarue (warning, lots of cat pics along with the SAKs)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%