Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Seeking info about a multitool set I came across. Any insight much appreciated.

us Offline Hypnoctopus

• New User
First of all, I'm new to this forum. Greetings everyone!  :tu:

Here is an album of the set in question: http://imgur.com/a/JWQYA

In researching this set, I've come to the conclusion that similar sets were made in abundance until around the 1970's. I've been able to find a few similar sets, including one that looks 100% identical but which was made in Japan.

Here is a direct image link to the Japanese set: http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL1660/8546231/22465414/408535700.jpg.
Here is a link to the forum post which features that set: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=49824.0#_

My research has come to a stand-still in respect to the branding of the set's leather case. It says "London Harness Company" and "Dunhill". I haven't found a single other set anywhere on the internet which features the same branding. Does anyone have this same set, and does anyone know if this particular branding has any bearing on its rarity or value?

Again, any insight much appreciated
Thank you,
-Brian

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
I have sent up the Bob signal. Hopefully he will be along shortly to help.

These sets were fairly common, and often found at flea markets and estate sales.  I personally don't know of any that have achieved any great value, but then I am hardly an expert on these.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Hypnoctopus

• New User

These sets were fairly common, and often found at flea markets and estate sales.  I personally don't know of any that have achieved any great value, but then I am hardly an expert on these.

Def

Thanks for the response. I look forward to hearing from Bob. I take it he's knowledgeable.

-Brian

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures

Def

Thanks for the response. I look forward to hearing from Bob. I take it he's knowledgeable.

-Brian

When it comes to old and/or odd tools Bob, aka J-Sews is the most knowledgeable person I've ever met.  In fact, his articles entitled "Before there was Leatherman" were partially responsible for the creation of this site.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Greetings Brian, and welcome to Multitool.org. Your research is spot on, the kit you have was indeed produced in Japan, either in the late 1960's or early 1970's. Sometimes the kits were sold directly to consumers, in which cases the blade tangs were simply stamped JAPAN and STAINLESS STEEL (in the case of sales to the U.S., and ROSTFREI in the case of sales to Europe.)

More frequently though the kits were sold in large lots to companies which resold them under their own brand, or gave them away in various promotions. I've seen the kit pouches marked with the name of automobile dealerships, insurance companies, etc. I believe this is the situation with your kit. It would likely only have enhanced value to someone who collected other items marked with the London Harness Company logo.

Hope that helps!

Bob :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Hypnoctopus

• New User
Bob,
Thank you for the detailed response.

-Brian

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99