Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAKs in a Toolbox?

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
SAKs in a Toolbox?
on: July 24, 2016, 10:50:38 PM
Does anyone here keep an SAK in their regular tools?  I personally feel there are many cases where the real tools will do best, but there have been incidences when a tool on the SAK will be the only thing "that'll fit in that space".  I recently put my underused Super Tinker in the tackle box I keep some of my smaller tools in, because everything might come in handy on it--especially the hook, openers, and scissors.  I feel every toolbox should have an SAK with the hook--there have been a number of times when I was working with my grandfather in which the hook was the only tool that could reach and pull or turn something--most recently, I used the one on my old Fieldmaster to turn a latch to hold the side engine cover of my grandfathers tractor.

Offline Mattexian

Re: SAKs in a Toolbox?
Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 11:30:16 PM
Nooo, but I do keep one in almost all of my various kit bags.  As an example,  my Vic 108 GAK sits in the pouch of my hunting stool, as well as a basic firearm cleaning kit of gun oil and silicone rag, and a partial roll of TP.

For vehicular emergency,  I keep a Gerber multiplier in one of the cargo pockets in the back of our Soul.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

R

us Offline Swiss Guy

Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 11:58:03 PM
I don't keep a SAK with my other tools but I typically always have a SAK on me. However, I do keep my Leatherman and Victorinox tools in the garage near my other tools so they are in easy reach if I need them. However, I have not found a need for the Leathermans or SAKs when I have my main toolbox nearby yet.
The right tool is the one you have on you

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 12:46:20 AM
Interesting question.  I suspect more toolboxes will have a pliers-type multitool.  I have a plan to do a 91mm SAK mod for my carpentry toolbox though.  I'm thinking a shortened main blade with a right-hand chisel grind for marking; a 93mm awl which is great for piloting screws; a wood saw; back side phillips; and the openers layer for when I've earned a beer :)  Shame the 93mm electrician blade is a left-hand chisel grind or it would be ideal for the marking job.

id Offline classicrock

• With every mistake we must surely be learning
Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 02:14:41 AM
Interesting topic, for my next mod I'd like to built a Spartan from the left over parts, but I will add saw and file. This SAK will stay in my car tool box.

Sent from my SM-J500G using Tapatalk

-Supported by Manager/Small Tinker/Compact/Deluxe Tinker/Spirit XC-

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 02:54:42 AM
 :think: Now that you say it I will have to put a SAK in each vehicle :D I do have a Classic in a few of my FAKs that they will fit in :tu: I do have one in a tackle box and I also need to put one in my mechanic tool toolboxes :cheers:

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 03:18:19 AM
My Spirit and user SwissChamp currently live in my tool bag, which goes where I go more or less, and my tool bag has a serious lack of "regular" tools. My rollaway currently has a slightly modified Master RT (with corkscrew and green DD scales). Usually whichever one is in my pocket gets the most use.  :tu:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 01:22:17 PM
No, but for many years my Huntsman and a small socket set was my tool kit when I was running my '66 Beetle. 
Barry

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 04:41:28 PM
:think: Now that you say it I will have to put a SAK in each vehicle :D I do have a Classic in a few of my FAKs that they will fit in :tu: I do have one in a tackle box and I also need to put one in my mechanic tool toolboxes :cheers:
I will need to put in my sak maintenance bag a tool specific for mod purposes... Like a blade layer, metal saw, pliers and scissors... For now this is what I have in my sak tool box,

Basically made of leftover parts... So far I have been only using the purposedly dulled small blade for opening scales

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 05:46:36 PM
This is my original ALOX Pioneer I got out of my store showcase in 1983. Carried it 20+ years....I used it for something on my truck it was forgotten in my toolbox out in West Texas when the '06 Wildfire took all my other knives at the farm. Finding this knife started the healing process.

SAKs in toolboxes are a good thing!  :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 11:44:27 PM
Cool picture and sad story about the fire   :cheers:

Cool that the Pioneer escaped and helped you move forward   :tu:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #11 on: July 26, 2016, 12:10:58 AM
+1 on that Robert! :cheers:
Barry

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: July 26, 2016, 12:55:16 AM
Thanks guys! That knife has so many good memories attached to it.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline twiliter

Reply #13 on: July 26, 2016, 01:24:21 AM

Good old red alox, the cure for what ails ya!  :)

Makes me want to stash a Pioneer somewhere!  :cheers:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: July 26, 2016, 01:43:10 AM

+1!!! Unless I'm dead or incarcerated, I'll always have one.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline twiliter

Reply #15 on: July 26, 2016, 01:46:35 AM

I have to put that in my will now, "just bury me with it", then dead won't matter either!  :D

Was incarcerated for a few hours when I was a kid, not betting on that any time soon...  ;)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 01:48:29 AM by twiliter »

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: July 26, 2016, 03:36:34 AM

I have to put that in my will now, "just bury me with it", then dead won't matter either!  :D

Was incarcerated for a few hours when I was a kid, not betting on that any time soon...  ;)

My Grandkids are too practical....I'd hit the Pearly Gates with a SAK-A-Like in my pocket....  :facepalm:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: July 26, 2016, 04:21:02 AM
This is my original ALOX Pioneer I got out of my store showcase in 1983. Carried it 20+ years....I used it for something on my truck it was forgotten in my toolbox out in West Texas when the '06 Wildfire took all my other knives at the farm. Finding this knife started the healing process.

(Image removed from quote.)

Glad to hear that one survived SG :cheers:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: July 26, 2016, 04:47:18 AM

Glad to hear that one survived SG :cheers:

Thx Ponch!!!  :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #19 on: July 26, 2016, 04:30:28 PM
When not in my pocket, this Wenger is always in the toolbox.

It is my dedicated toolbox SAK as it covers all the basics that the other tools that share space with it cannot handle (mainly Saw and small pliers)
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: July 26, 2016, 04:42:43 PM

It is my dedicated toolbox SAK as it covers all the basics that the other tools that share space with it cannot handle (mainly Saw and small pliers)

That is a very nice one Peacent :tu:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: July 26, 2016, 05:22:27 PM

That is a very nice one Peacent :tu:

+1!!!!
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline Vinjints

Reply #22 on: July 26, 2016, 06:24:15 PM
Unnecessary in my opinion.  The SAK is the definition of a pocket multi-tool.  The multi-tool is designed for convenience.  Real tools are designs for brute strength, as well as small enough to fit into tight places.  I'll hang a MT over my work bench just in case I can't get to the toolbox, but I don't need to pull a SAK out of a drawer with full-sized tools available.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: July 26, 2016, 07:07:00 PM
Unnecessary in my opinion.  The SAK is the definition of a pocket multi-tool.  The multi-tool is designed for convenience.  Real tools are designs for brute strength, as well as small enough to fit into tight places.  I'll hang a MT over my work bench just in case I can't get to the toolbox, but I don't need to pull a SAK out of a drawer with full-sized tools available.

Thinking back, a short in my speakers necessitated my knife being out along with some other tools and they all got put up together. I do think an older knife is indispensable in the vehicle toolbox for cutting/scraping dirty, gunky stuff (like head gaskets) that your nice EDC shouldn't have to bear. But then, I often carry a lovely vintage EDC because at this point, it get looked at/admired more than it tackles tough jobs. In fact, I have several knives that are just for heavy/dirty jobs here at the farm.

Here's a couple....

- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: July 26, 2016, 07:11:07 PM

Sometimes the "real" tools can be to bulky to do the task at hand though and there are times that I don't have time to look for something either :D MT or SAK are right there and handy, plus I don't always want to drag a bunch of stuff out when all the tools I need might be on a SAK :cheers:

Plenty of times when I do drag out the dedicated tools to do things though ;)

us Offline twiliter

Reply #25 on: July 26, 2016, 09:50:58 PM
The 111mm in my toolbox has both can and bottle openers, and a knife blade. I have no other dedicated tools in my toolbox for those purposes.

Reason enough for me.  :salute:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: July 26, 2016, 09:54:19 PM
The 111mm in my toolbox has both can and bottle openers, and a knife blade. I have no other dedicated tools in my toolbox for those purposes.

That is a very good point about the openers as well :cheers: Also a dedicated knife can do more sometimes than a razor or disposable knife can but that also goes the other way as the razor/disposable blade can do some things I won't do with my reg knife blade ;)

us Offline twiliter

Reply #27 on: July 26, 2016, 10:08:36 PM

That is a very good point about the openers as well :cheers: Also a dedicated knife can do more sometimes than a razor or disposable knife can but that also goes the other way as the razor/disposable blade can do some things I won't do with my reg knife blade ;)

Good point too Ponch, I do have a razor blade scraper tool, but I don't consider it a knife.  :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%