Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Utility Knife.

Chako · 39 · 1630

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Re: The Utility Knife.
Reply #30 on: August 15, 2016, 05:46:51 PM
Good stuff guys!!!
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #31 on: August 15, 2016, 07:58:40 PM

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #32 on: August 17, 2016, 07:23:13 PM
Here's a couple of mine (the smaller ones). They use different blades. Holed ones in the Craftsman and two top-nicked ones in theTengtools.

Tengtools has a slide-lock, keeps it closed and open. Also a small plastic safety cap for the blade. The red slide lock is to release the blade.

The Craftsman only has an open lock but has a thumb stud opener. To change the blade, you rotate the top of the "head" forward and then slide the side down.

Boxcutters 01.jpg
* Boxcutters 01.jpg (Filesize: 348.59 KB)
Boxcutters 02.jpg
* Boxcutters 02.jpg (Filesize: 361.15 KB)
Boxcutters 03.jpg
* Boxcutters 03.jpg (Filesize: 255.74 KB)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 07:29:49 PM by pfrsantos »

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Offline shecky

Reply #33 on: August 18, 2016, 04:58:42 AM
Here is the Valet Auto Strop Razor Utility Knife. Valet was a company that made safety razors in the early 20th century, using a proprietary blade very similar to the now generic GEM style blade. Valet blades can occasionally be found, but AFAIK haven't been manufactured in decades. However, the generic GEM style single edge blade/scraper is common and will fit after removing the folded spine.

When I found this, it was without a blade, so I supplied a used GEM carbon steel blade, too dull to shave with, but plenty sharp for anything else. Just pried off the spine and it fit perfectly. closed, these are about 2.5" long, a little more than 4.25" fully opened, including bail. A little more than .75" wide, and a bit over 1/8" thick. It's a friction folder, stamped metal construction, completely non magnetic metal, without a blade. Don't know what it is. Maybe some kind of non magnetic stainless or nickel silver? On both sides, a decorative pattern is embossed on the handle, with a space reserved for engraving. A hole in the handle which I presume is a cigar cutter function. On the very tip of the blade holder there is a triangular pointy protrusion, not sure if it has a specific function. On one side of the blade holder, it says "VALET AUTO STROP RAZOR UTILITY KNIFE", and the reverse side says "AUTO STROP SAFETY RAZOR Co NEW YORK LONDON TORONTO"

This is kind of a nifty little device, more in the vein of a a gentleman's knife than box cutter, but I think it deserves mention here. I don't really carry it, as I'm a bit afraid I'll nip off the tip of a finger in the cigar cutter when closing it. Looks like it would be a very easy thing to do. But it is a pretty neat device.

IMG_1323.JPG
* IMG_1323.JPG (Filesize: 752.72 KB)
IMG_1324.JPG
* IMG_1324.JPG (Filesize: 761.73 KB)
IMG_1325.JPG
* IMG_1325.JPG (Filesize: 740.54 KB)
IMG_1326.JPG
* IMG_1326.JPG (Filesize: 749.04 KB)

Offline shecky

Reply #34 on: August 18, 2016, 05:10:45 AM
Here's a couple versions of the Olfa Craft Knife. These are very similar in shape to traditional Japanese kiridashi/kogatana knives, which I think are used a lot in woodworking. These offer replaceable blades, though they're heavier than the trapezoid blades used in common utility knives, .045"-.050" thick stainless steel. While not chisel ground, the edges are ground asymmetrically. Replacement blades are about as easily found as whole knives. The smaller one has a dual edge reversible blade.
IMG_1317.JPG
* IMG_1317.JPG (Filesize: 729.42 KB)
IMG_1318.JPG
* IMG_1318.JPG (Filesize: 687.17 KB)

Offline shecky

Reply #35 on: August 18, 2016, 05:27:22 AM
One of these was posted earlier. Stanley 10-049, which they call a "Pocket Knife". It features a locking folding, replaceable blade, available in two styles, a sheepsfoot point, and a more acutely tipped version. These have been around for a few decades, though I have no idea how long, exactly. These are three iterations of the same model. The top one is how they currently are made, cast metal handles with a logo, model number and a grip pattern molded in, and painted gray. The two below are older versions, also cast metal, but smooth plated exteriors. Though overall design has stayed the same and blades are compatible, there are minor differences in construction. The internals are plastic. One of the older models is slightly thicker and will hold a spare blade inside.

I think these are kind of neat pocket knives, really unlike just about any other on the market. Replacement blades aren't too hard to find, though there's no reason you can't keep these sharpened. Blades are about .045" thick.

Stanley used to make a knife that took a similar, but incompatible blade. It was a "funny folder" "flip knife". Unfortunately I don't have one, and they seem to be kind of collectible these days. I don't think it's been made for at least 20 years. The replacement blades were sold until at least a few years ago.
IMG_1319.JPG
* IMG_1319.JPG (Filesize: 682.09 KB)
IMG_1321.JPG
* IMG_1321.JPG (Filesize: 524.26 KB)

Offline shecky

Reply #36 on: August 18, 2016, 05:51:14 AM
The old fashioned Stanley retracting blade is still a widely copied, tried and true kind of the hill. Presented here is a very cheap, but usable copy, the Model 99, and what I think is a fairly recent model 10-016, which is my favorite. The 10-016 is about an inch shorter and significantly thinner than a model 99, making it easily pocketable, with the same practicality as the 99. Unfortunately, they can be hard to find. When I first found them, they were bare cast metal. Current ones are painted cast metal. Just like the 99, it's made in USA.
IMG_1315.JPG
* IMG_1315.JPG (Filesize: 760.99 KB)
IMG_1316.JPG
* IMG_1316.JPG (Filesize: 703.08 KB)

Offline shecky

Reply #37 on: August 18, 2016, 06:10:27 AM
Here are a few small, keychain sized utility knives. An Olfa Touch Knife, and a couple that seem to be a Chinese domestic brand, Deli. These are auto-retracting knives, but have provision for holding the blades fully extended. These tend to be sort of disposable, easily pocketed and inexpensive... if you can find them in the right retail conditions. The Olfas aren't too uncommon in the US, but if you buy them online, it seems they can be a bit overpriced. The Deli knives are found from some China vendors, and should be even cheaper. The Olfa has a stainless blade, the Delis have carbon steel blades.
IMG_1320.JPG
* IMG_1320.JPG (Filesize: 722.88 KB)

Offline shecky

Reply #38 on: August 18, 2016, 06:24:03 AM
This is the subject of one of Grant Lamontagne's Fantastic $5 Challenge thread. This is a rather attractive, if fatally flawed, multitool box cutter that is widely available from China sources, usually carrying the "Paperknives E.D.C." name. It seems to be a copy of the Rexford Rut. I wrote a review in that thread.
IMG_1322.JPG
* IMG_1322.JPG (Filesize: 713.15 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69