Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What's your favourite Star Trek series?

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
What's your favourite Star Trek series?
on: August 14, 2016, 04:54:43 AM
I'm a huge fan of Star Trek, and LOVE that Netflix has them!!  I've watched TNG completely twice (much more counting watching it on TV), Voyager twice, and am watching Enterprise and DS9 now.  I haven't seen all episode of either DS9 or Enterprise yet, and am enjoying watching them now.  I am also watching TNG and Voyager yet again. :D 

So what's your favourite series?  I love TNG!!  Picard is by far the best Captain, IMHO.  I do also quite like Janeway, with Archer coming in third, and Sisko last.  I never could really get into DS9, but I'm trying now.

I hate to say this, but I've only ever seen a couple of the original series.  :facepalm: 

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Re: What's your favourite Star Trek series?
Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 05:41:46 AM
So I have seen the entirety of TAS, TNG, Voyage, and DS9 in order, every movie, I think I've seen all of TOS, but never made my way through Enterprise.

I'd say Voyage is my top pick, I think it had the best chemistry, especially with 7 of 9 replacing Kes.  The other thing is I feel more connected to the crew.

That said as much as I love Janeway yeah Picard is better, but they are all just a little too perfect.

I do really enjoy DS9 particularly with the addition of Worf, I know that it was disliked at the time but watching in reruns for hours everyday or streaming it improves the higher level of intrigue they were going for.

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 01:26:09 PM
The Next Generation is my favourite.

DS9 and Voyager were both good to. I only watched a few of Enterprise and couldn't get into them.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 01:46:11 PM
The premise of Enterprise was truly great, but was thoroughly botched in the execution. I feel a TOS had a feeling of discovery and frontier country, which, ironically, not even Voyager has matched. I'm very fond of Star Trek's optimism in regards of science and technology. My favorite series is probably TOS, even though many episodes are more or less unwatchable. TNG became too much politics and introspection, too little frontiers and new horizons. As an avid B5 fan, DS9 is still a little too similar a concept.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 02:20:47 PM
We are going to probably have a mass exodus of members after I say this, but I really like Enterprise.  Yeah, there were some dumb episodes, especially early on, but once they locked onto the Xindi/Temporal Cold War storyline it really got good.  I like how there was no Prime Directive and they actually had to solve problems rather than just have Scotty/Geordie/O'Brien etc build a device to solve all the issues.

I love the fact that they are inexperienced, underarmed and stumbling their way blindly through the universe, and I like the fact that the Vulcans are an annoyance rather than their "pet" humanoid encyclopedia aliens that they appear to be in all of the other series.

I think it's great that Captain Archer has to make rules as they go along, then break them as they go further, and the excessive racism they encounter as they deal with an influx of alien species on Earth.  I think Shran is an excellent character and I like how he keeps showing up through the series, and I love that Archer meets a Klingon lawyer who says "What, you didn't think all Klingons were warriors, did you?" which is great because we don't really see non-warrior Klingons in other series.

I'll admit I lost interest in both DS9 and Voyager early on, but I am planning on going through them again sometime soon.  I hear DS9 gets better as you go into the Dominion War, but the first season is so hard to get through... although as much as I love B5 you could easily (and righteously) say the same thing about it.

I grew up with the Original Series and it will always be the standard for me.  I also remember waiting patiently every week for the new episode of Next Generation to come out, and watch it with my family, so that is also pretty special to me.  There was one episode where the Prime Directive was broken and the native people (Mentokans I think?) started worshiping a new god called "The Picard" and that has become a running joke in my house, so TNG is probably the one most referenced at home.  Right along with the Adam West Batman proclaiming to Robin that they succeeded in every adventure because they were "Pure of Heart."

And, like every other Trekkie (I know, we are supposed to refer to ourselves as "Trekker" now, but I really don't give a smurf) I breathed a sigh of relief when the new version of TOS was a parallel universe and so everything they did "wrong" compared to the Star Trek we all grew up with was ok, because it was a different timeline.

I was glad to see that the new versions of TOS still held true to the universal truths by still killing the guy in the red....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 11:45:00 PM

I love that Archer meets a Klingon lawyer who says "What, you didn't think all Klingons were warriors, did you?" which is great because we don't really see non-warrior Klingons in other series.

*cough* DS9 did it first *cough*

That said DS9 was able to put a great deal of effort into Klingons, with Worf and the alliance with the Empire.  Although their lawyer said he saw himself as a legal warrior as it were.  But they never explain how a lawyer gets into Stova'core or a farmer, civilian transport crew, or what ever for that matter.

But when I have a enough wifi to stream it I really should watch Enterprise.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 11:46:18 PM
Damn, I agree with Grant!!  :D

I do love the rawness of Enterprise.  I just finished the first season last night, and will start on the second tonight.  I think I'll watch it through before getting more into DS9.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: August 14, 2016, 11:50:30 PM

I love that Archer meets a Klingon lawyer who says "What, you didn't think all Klingons were warriors, did you?" which is great because we don't really see non-warrior Klingons in other series.

Maybe, but let's face it, who knew since no one was actually watching DS9 in the first place?   :pok:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 15, 2016, 12:00:35 AM
TNG, definitely the one and only TNG.

--->  :facepalm:  (this is Capt. Pickard facepalming because of your question!)

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: August 15, 2016, 01:26:12 AM
The one with the Hot borg   ;)

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 15, 2016, 01:27:53 AM
The one with the Hot borg   ;)

Yeah it's quite difficult to resist her  :D  :assimilate:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: August 15, 2016, 01:37:01 AM
Speaking of the Borg and Captain Picard, why the hell would they let him continue to Captain any vessel, let alone the Flagship of the Federation after he had been assimilated?  If he was compromised once, by an alien force they didn't understand, why the hell would they have brought him back into the fold?  Who is to say the Borg nanotech didn't leave some kind of undetectable listening device or sleeper programming in him?

Def

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: August 15, 2016, 01:38:34 AM
Speaking of the Borg and Captain Picard, why the hell would they let him continue to Captain any vessel, let alone the Flagship of the Federation after he had been assimilated?  If he was compromised once, by an alien force they didn't understand, why the hell would they have brought him back into the fold?  Who is to say the Borg nanotech didn't leave some kind of undetectable listening device or sleeper programming in him?

Def

This bothered me a lot, too... :(

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #13 on: August 15, 2016, 01:45:04 AM
my favorite is Firefly   :rofl:   :whistle:

this is a tough one for me,  I love them all, and for different reasons.  DS9 seems to be my least favorite, it is more of a "west Wing" in space.

I loved Voyager, 7 of 9 intrigued me. and Janeway was a great captain.  TNG was great all around, and some of the TOS had some great moral tales.

I enjoyed Enterprise, it was not perfect, but I loved watching it.
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline Pacu

Reply #14 on: August 15, 2016, 01:46:20 AM
The brown coats when they fought the Allegiance. Wash fighting both the Borg and Reavers on Seti Alpha V before slingshoting around the sun to save the whales due to trouble with tribbles.
:like:    :MTO:

ca Offline Megan

• Marketing Maven
  • Administrator
  • No Life Club
  • Does your head look like a watermelon?
Reply #15 on: August 15, 2016, 01:47:06 AM
I grew up on TNG, Voyager and DS9.
I was never able to get into the OS even though I did try at some point. I've also not been too keen on Enterprise.

I think it's Voyageur that I love the most. I enjoy the dynamic with the inclusion of the Maquis. I love that occasionally the Prime Directive is thrown out the window.
-Megan
Would you like your review featured on http://Multitool.org? Do you have a suggestion to improve the forum or our sites?
Send me a message.

us Offline Pacu

Reply #16 on: August 15, 2016, 01:52:35 AM
I grew up on the original television series. Back when there was only 5 channels on U-23 and 24 to 51 VHF.  ::)
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: August 15, 2016, 04:19:42 AM

Maybe, but let's face it, who knew since no one was actually watching DS9 in the first place?   :pok:

Def

Touché, but as I said DS9 is far better binge watched then once a week.

Def

This bothered me a lot, too... :(

This has never bugged me.  Picard is still Picard, braking and crying aside, also he would of been able to tell them that evert secret the Federation had was now in the hands of the Borg anyways.  Meaning that the the Borg really had no advantage to spying with him, also the Borg are bad about keeping secrets. 

The other thing is that really the Enterprise  D & E seem more content to show the flag around the galaxy more then as a warship.  In the expanded universe the Enterprise E does little fighting in the Dominion War, and in Frist Contact Star Fleet is concerned about him fighting the Borg.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: August 15, 2016, 12:08:53 PM
I was surprised to find out there were people that hated Enterprise......

Great show, but the writers lost the plot towards the end IMO.  If they had started with a better long term plan maybe we could still be watching it....
Two of my favourite things from the show are....
-the theme song, and....
-the best Vulcan ever  :D

TNG is a close second.

I think I have all the series, tried but I could never get into DS9 or Voyager.......

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: August 15, 2016, 02:46:33 PM
Thanks to this thread I have decided to start binging DS9.  I actually wanted to binge Voyager, but I figured I'd better do DS9 first.

Def

england Offline Kev D

Reply #20 on: August 15, 2016, 03:06:33 PM
Thanks to this thread I have decided to start binging DS9.  I actually wanted to binge Voyager, but I figured I'd better do DS9 first.

Def

After someone mentioned Babylon 5 in a comment (B5) I've downloaded them all to take on holiday with me to binge on my downday's while I rest my wazzy legs and wonky back.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 03:13:48 PM by Kevin Davey »

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #21 on: August 15, 2016, 03:13:40 PM

Def

After someone mentioned Babylon 5 in a comment (B5) I've downloaded them all to take on holiday with me to binge on my downday's while I rest my wazzy legs and wonky back.
B5! My 3rd best sci fi show after Battleship Galaxy and Firefly! Enjoy them Kev  :cheers: If you rest too long you'll end up with wonky legs and a wazzy back.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

england Offline Kev D

Reply #22 on: August 15, 2016, 03:17:10 PM

Def

B5! My 3rd best sci fi show after Battleship Galaxy and Firefly! Enjoy them Kev  :cheers: If you rest too long you'll end up with wonky legs and a wazzy back.

What is battleship galaxy? I've never heard of that

It'll be in the hot tub that is in the back garden of the holiday cottage. My only worries will be to not get my tablet wet or spill my drink  :D

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #23 on: August 15, 2016, 03:30:26 PM
It's a stupid name I like for Battlestar Galactica (remake) which is, for my money, one of the greatest tv shows ever.

What about treating yourself to a waterproof tablet case? They're not much - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-Waterproof-Case-MoKo-Underwater/dp/B00ID1HB0A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471267713&sr=8-1&keywords=waterproof+tablet+case

Enjoy your break - I think you're just about ready for it!  :cheers:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: August 15, 2016, 03:39:30 PM
B5 is one of my favorites too- the first season is slow, and kind of silly at times, but stick with it- everything gets immeasurably better in the second season, and there are so many things in the first season you may not have paid attention to that come into play by the 4th season that you will be glad you didn't skip it!

Def

england Offline Kev D

Reply #25 on: August 15, 2016, 03:56:17 PM
It's a stupid name I like for Battlestar Galactica (remake) which is, for my money, one of the greatest tv shows ever.

What about treating yourself to a waterproof tablet case? They're not much - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-Waterproof-Case-MoKo-Underwater/dp/B00ID1HB0A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471267713&sr=8-1&keywords=waterproof+tablet+case

You should have frakking said so  :D :rofl:  I've watched all of those, it's a great series.

Ty, it's not till the middle of Sept, but I'm ready for it now.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #26 on: August 15, 2016, 03:57:13 PM
I've watched TNG completely twice (much more counting watching it on TV), Voyager twice, and am watching Enterprise and DS9 now.

I've worked my with through each series on Netflix more than once as well, and just watched all of the available movies on Netflix and Amazon.  Mrs. Powernoodle, the lads and I are probably going to see Star Trek: Beyond today, as part of our 24th wedding anniversary festivities.  So yeah, I know how to please a woman.  No doubt about it.

Favorite series?  That's tough, but its probably Next Generation.  I'm watching it for about the 3rd time now.  The first two seasons are pretty lame, and I refuse to watch any episode with Q in it, but I'm a fan of Picard.  I like all of the captains, though I'd like to slap Janeway with a pool floaty noodle for getting her crew stuck in the delta quadrant.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #27 on: August 15, 2016, 04:05:23 PM

You should have frakking said so  :D :rofl:  I've watched all of those, it's a great series.

Ty, it's not till the middle of Sept, but I'm ready for it now.
Cool! What do you hear Starbuck?

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: August 15, 2016, 04:26:44 PM

Def

I have to admit to having fallen heavily out of love with Star Trek(and Star Wars too for that matter).

Def makes a very good point about the aftermath of Wolf359. There just fails to be consequences to actions,any real depth or sense of genuine,lasting emotion TNG onwards. I can forgive TOS many sins because of its age,and it's pioneering nature,but the modern series are just too...squeaky clean and risk free.

It's interesting to note that the prime movers behind the BSG reboot were ex-Trek....
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

england Offline Kev D

Reply #29 on: August 15, 2016, 05:34:02 PM
Stargate was another good series at the beginning, while it had Mac himself in the lead role, but went downhill when he stepped back and became the general and half the cast of farscape took over. SG atlantis I never could get into but quite enjoyed SG universe, which got cancelled very early on.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%