Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What's your favourite Star Trek series?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: What's your favourite Star Trek series?
Reply #30 on: August 15, 2016, 06:33:59 PM
I am on Episode 7 of Season 1 of DS9, and I don't recall Bashir being such a whiny little pervert when I watched it before.  There doesn't appear to be any women on the station that he doesn't try, very overtly, to take back to his quarters. 

If someone was to act like that on my station I'd contract a couple of Klingon women to teach him a lesson.

And yet, Sisko seems ok to let his doctor creep out people who may need his services someday.  I doubt very much I's be comfortable being treated by someone like that, and I sure as hell wouldn't take my wife/girlfriend/female coworkers to him.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: August 15, 2016, 06:43:46 PM
A smaller scale example of the missing consequences, I guess.

I was disappointed by BSG. First season seemed to be warm up for mature discussion of Big Questions with several interesting (and hot!  :D ) characters. I stopped watching somewhere in 2nd season as the writers were either unwilling or unable to follow up from the first. I've read some spoilers later, and it seems given my personal tastes, I was right to cut my losses.

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Reply #32 on: August 16, 2016, 01:25:12 AM
I am on Episode 7 of Season 1 of DS9, and I don't recall Bashir being such a whiny little pervert when I watched it before.  There doesn't appear to be any women on the station that he doesn't try, very overtly, to take back to his quarters. 

If someone was to act like that on my station I'd contract a couple of Klingon women to teach him a lesson.

And yet, Sisko seems ok to let his doctor creep out people who may need his services someday.  I doubt very much I's be comfortable being treated by someone like that, and I sure as hell wouldn't take my wife/girlfriend/female coworkers to him.

Def

He matures as the as the show goes on, but I agree he starts out very young (and yeah pervy), they really hit their stride after a few seasons.

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #33 on: August 16, 2016, 02:27:40 AM
I've watched TNG completely twice (much more counting watching it on TV), Voyager twice, and am watching Enterprise and DS9 now.

I've worked my with through each series on Netflix more than once as well, and just watched all of the available movies on Netflix and Amazon.  Mrs. Powernoodle, the lads and I are probably going to see Star Trek: Beyond today, as part of our 24th wedding anniversary festivities.  So yeah, I know how to please a woman.  No doubt about it.

Favorite series?  That's tough, but its probably Next Generation.  I'm watching it for about the 3rd time now.  The first two seasons are pretty lame, and I refuse to watch any episode with Q in it, but I'm a fan of Picard.  I like all of the captains, though I'd like to slap Janeway with a pool floaty noodle for getting her crew stuck in the delta quadrant.
We went to see the new movie on the weekend, and it was pretty damn good!!  My wife hates Star Trek, but actually likes the new movies.

I'm with you on the first two seasons of TNG.  I really disliked Tasha Yar also.  I was VERY happy when she left the show, and I think the show was much better after she was gone.

LOL, yeah Janeway should have said the hell with the Prime Directive and got them the hell home!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #34 on: August 16, 2016, 03:16:23 AM
I agree- Yarr was better as a Romulan than as a Federation officer.  That episode where she had to fight the guy on the jungle jim was remarkably dumb.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Reply #35 on: August 16, 2016, 06:47:56 AM
I disagree about Janeway.  Think about what that story would have been like...

Kidnapped by a super powerful creature that you know has a mate somewhere.  This creature dies and you have a choice get home and leave an entire specie to die, or save them and take the long way home.  Ok yeah you have accomplished your mission to capture the Maque, but you've also lost about half your crew and have to explain that you left thousands of intelligence creatures to die.  Not exactly a promotional bell ringer.  The real question is this why not head for the bajorian wormhole, yeah it might take a while but you would cut a several decades off the trip and reach known space sooner.  Before anyone thinks about saying something about the Dominion, Voyager left while it still just a name.. 

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #36 on: August 18, 2016, 03:38:30 AM
DS9, without a doubt. At first I didn't like it, but the more we saw of the darker side of Sisko, and the political issues, and always, always, always Elim Garak, the more I loved it. Particularly his relationship with Obrien, and not jsut for the pun of "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" that they embody. They also handled Worf better than TNG ever did.

In the Pale Moonlight was exquisite, and the most real world I've ever seen Trek.

"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #37 on: August 19, 2016, 03:23:15 AM
I'm on Season 1, Episode 18 watching Kira try and interrogate a Cardassian war criminal.

It's still not great- I didn't really get the point of the episodes where Miles had to wear a pink robe and yell at a cloud or the mutiny resulting from purple clouds in their heads that they caught from a dead Klingon.

I'm hoping it gets better.

Def

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: August 22, 2016, 04:30:29 AM
I'm hoping it gets better.

First season kinda sucked. Second season got better, they were starting to find this idea called "storyline". By the time you get to third season, it will be worth the wait. Actually, other than finding out who characters and political dynamics who are going to be very important are, you could skip the first season. If you want to miss Q and the first time we meet the Grand Nagus. But once Pillar left and Behr was the showrunner, it really picked up.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #39 on: August 22, 2016, 03:27:11 PM
I'm on Season 2 Episode 19 now, and there have been a few mentions of "The Dominion" with regards to controlling the Gamma Quadrant.  If I didn't know the Dominion was going to be a big thing, I am not certain I'd have even picked up on it.  I have some respect for the writers for dropping tiny little hints like that and not building on it openly.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #40 on: August 23, 2016, 01:38:58 PM
I'm on episode 26 in season 2 now and there's been no more discussion of the Dominion, but then I guess they have been too busy with the Maquis to worry about it.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #41 on: August 23, 2016, 01:44:51 PM
I guess I was wrong- this episode is called "The Jem Ha'Dar," which, if I recall correctly are the military arm of the Dominion.

Def

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #42 on: August 23, 2016, 01:47:51 PM
I guess I was wrong- this episode is called "The Jem Ha'Dar," which, if I recall correctly are the military arm of the Dominion.

Def

Yep, those are the boys taking the white stuff (Ketracel White) to keep them in line and fighting for them.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Ketracel-white
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 04:32:09 PM by Kevin Davey »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #43 on: August 23, 2016, 07:51:20 PM
I remembered that much. 

I would have thought that the Federation would have armored the living smurf out of DS9 and backed it up with a number of ships from all of the member nations of the Federation.

Maybe send an attack groups of Klingons, Cardassians and Romulans through the wormhole to establish a foothold on the other side?

Def

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: August 25, 2016, 02:08:11 AM
I would have thought that the Federation would have armored the living smurf out of DS9 and backed it up with a number of ships from all of the member nations of the Federation.

Remember that Star Fleet is first a scientific organization, second a diplomatic one. Third a peacekeeping one.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #45 on: August 25, 2016, 01:11:12 PM
I don't like that kind of TV shows. I find them boring. I never watch any of the XXX Got Talent or The Voice or the like. Those that have "stars" in them are usually the worse, because they have the "stars" doing something that is not in their main area of expertise (if they have any at all...). I never heard of this one, is it new? I've only heard of Dancing with the Stars. This Star Twerk is something new to me...
 :whistle:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #46 on: August 25, 2016, 01:29:19 PM
I don't like that kind of TV shows. I find them boring. I never watch any of the XXX Got Talent or The Voice or the like. Those that have "stars" in them are usually the worse, because they have the "stars" doing something that is not in their main area of expertise (if they have any at all...). I never heard of this one, is it new? I've only heard of Dancing with the Stars. This Star Twerk is something new to me...
Basically they have a star (usually someone on tv or a singer) and they go on a trek somewhere while a camera films them. They keep a diary of their trek and different encounters (bears, frogs, bees, puddles, rocks, hunters etc) and then they get voted off the show to be replaced by a new star 'trekker'. It's just a copy of a little known PBS show 'Celebrity Rambling'. You're right to avoid it.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #47 on: August 25, 2016, 02:00:31 PM
Basically they have a star (usually someone on tv or a singer) and they go on a trek somewhere while a camera films them. They keep a diary of their trek and different encounters (bears, frogs, bees, puddles, rocks, hunters etc) and then they get voted off the show to be replaced by a new star 'trekker'. It's just a copy of a little known PBS show 'Celebrity Rambling'. You're right to avoid it.

Thank you, I'll be sure to do it!
:hatsoff:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #48 on: August 25, 2016, 10:07:33 PM

Remember that Star Fleet is first a scientific organization, second a diplomatic one. Third a peacekeeping one.

Got to call BS on that one.  While their focus may have softened from a specifically military organization, they are still the military.  They are armed, they wear uniforms, they have ranks and chain of command and they are trained for battle.  The scope may have broadened enough that they have more scientific capabilities as well, but in the end, they are primarily a military organization.  They may run diplomatic, exploratory and scientific missions, but every ship is capable of armed and capable of holding it's own in battle with no notice.

Look at the Canadian military- I see a lot of parallels between the Canadian military's humanitarian missions and Starfleet's missions.  The Canadian military is deployed to a lot of places to provide aid, protection, distribute food, water and medical supplies, build shelters and so on, but that doesn't make them any less of a military organization.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #49 on: August 25, 2016, 10:26:47 PM
Also, if this is supposed to be in the future, why does Major Kira have the same hairdo as Burt Ward, aka Robin from the '60's era Batman?

Def

us Offline metasyntax

Reply #50 on: August 25, 2016, 10:45:42 PM
I was disappointed by BSG. First season seemed to be warm up for mature discussion of Big Questions with several interesting (and hot!  :D ) characters. I stopped watching somewhere in 2nd season as the writers were either unwilling or unable to follow up from the first. I've read some spoilers later, and it seems given my personal tastes, I was right to cut my losses.
I'm halfway through season four, and struggling to finish. It seemed like good science fiction at the beginning, with lots of good mysteries to theorize about. But the more seasons go by, the more they seem to be chucking plausible explanations out the window and just going with deus ex machina. I kinda feel like they were writing without a lot of planning ahead as to how things would be resolved. I have to keep reminding myself it's not sci-fi, it's space opera. But I like hard science fiction literature, I like shows like Fringe that are pretty tight-knit. BSG for me started well but has ended up disappointing. It's still entertaining to watch, it's just not fulfilling for me.

:b2t:

TNG is the only one I've watched seriously and seen most of, but I recently started watching Voyager on Netflix. The first season was rocky, but season two is much better so far. I feel like Janeway and Chakotay have really improved, and the plots are getting better. The first season of any show is usually a bit off, so I'm optimistic. The only real problem I have is that the only recurring characters so far are the Kazon, and they're pretty two-dimensional. I hope maybe they find some friends who can turn up every now and again.
May it be as the Pattern has chosen.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: August 26, 2016, 04:06:59 AM

TO THE STAKE WITH THE HEATHEN!   :viking:

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #52 on: August 26, 2016, 04:37:02 AM
You always know who will get voted off too, as they always have a red shirt on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #53 on: August 26, 2016, 10:14:55 AM
You always know who will get voted off too, as they always have a red shirt on.

:rofl:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: August 26, 2016, 10:15:31 AM

Yes! It's a way too long since the last night out with pitchforks and kerosene!  :woohoo:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #55 on: August 26, 2016, 12:36:23 PM

Yes! It's a way too long since the last night out with pitchforks tractor beams and kerosene phasers:woohoo:

FTFY... this being about sci-fi and space and whatnot...

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #56 on: August 26, 2016, 12:37:29 PM
Also, if this is supposed to be in the future, why does Major Kira have the same hairdo as Burt Ward, aka Robin from the '60's era Batman?

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

Def

History repeats itself...

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #57 on: August 28, 2016, 12:29:53 PM
All of them.  :)

I can remember (vaguely) watching TOS first run on an old color CRT that I had to be repeatedly told to back away from. TOS was syndicated early on, so I was able to watch reruns throughout my childhood and alongside the animated series first run on Saturday mornings, then reruns of that also. I built a plastic scale model of the Enterprise when I was about 11 (the AMT kit). I was also fortunate enough to see all the movies in theaters, which continues to this day, most recently ST Beyond which I have seen twice already and planning a 3rd viewing next week.  :) Gene Roddenberry's vision of the future has always appealed to me.

I have seen all the episodes of all the series and also all of the movies multiple times. The '90's were a great decade for Star Trek and I remember TNG in first run, I could barely hold it together from week to week!  :) I have yet to go to a convention or see any online only content, but I have read a handful of the books, mostly the early ones featuring the original crew. Suffice it to say I am a Trekkie to the core, and would have a hard time picking a favorite, but the Kirk-Spock-McCoy trio are probably my favorite characters.

Live Long and Prosper!  :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #58 on: September 06, 2016, 03:35:43 PM

Season 4, Episode 10, the President of the United Federation Of Planets refers to DS9 as a "military installation."

Def

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #59 on: September 06, 2016, 03:48:44 PM
I'm powering through Enterprise, and am really enjoying it!!  The cast have really matured together, and it has made the show that much better.

Once I get through Enterprise, I'll focus on DS9, then watch Voyager again.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD