Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman tools into a Pocket Power Plier

lemo · 14 · 2221

gb Offline lemo

Leatherman tools into a Pocket Power Plier
on: August 16, 2016, 01:59:46 PM
Test fitted some tools today. I know this has been covered before, but here are my findings anyway.

The pivot bolts on my older PPP are 6.5mm which I thought was a weird size until I realised that they are imperial. 1/4 inch screwdriver bit holder fits perfectly. The newer PPP look to have allen or torx bolts.

Test fitting some Leatherman Wave/Blast scissors.

The wave scissors have the same size pivot hole but are a little thicker than the SOG awl it replaced so the plastic washer had to be replaced with thinner washers to make room.

The nail nick is hard to reach but not impossible.

The scissors open/rotate further than the SOG tools.

The over rotation is not visually or ergonomically an issue. In fact it works out well.

The issue however is that the scissors don't click firmly into place when open so fall back into the handle in use.

Holding the tool like in the image below stops the scissors from being pushed back into the handle and feels comfortable.

When closing the PPP the pliers hit the nail nick on the scissors.

The nail nick pushes the pliers to one side.

The handles do not close together properly. It's pretty close though.

Filing the nail nick off would allow the handles to close but would make the scissors very difficult to open. Would have to rely on clumping.

So the Leatherman scissors will fit the PPP with very little modification, but not without compromise. They are awkward to open and do not click open securely. This means they do not have the 'factory' feel of the SOG scissors. The Leatherman scissors definitely cut better than SOG scissors so may be worth the compromises.

gb Offline lemo

Re: Leatherman tools into a Pocket Power Plier
Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 02:14:35 PM
Leatherman Kick blade (Blast/Fuse blade is to long)

The Kick blade does not close flush into the PPP handle and the nail nick does not line up very well.

The Kick blade over rotates when opened.

Filing off the the part circled in the image would allow the blade to close flush with the handle.

The Kick blade has the same size pivot hole and is the same thickness (or very close) as the SOG tools so is an easy swap with minor modification. The over rotation when opened does not greatly effect function but is visually awkward.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 03:18:47 PM by lemo »

gb Offline lemo

Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 02:31:08 PM
PST blade in a PPP.

The nail nick does not line up perfectly when closed.

The PST blade sits a little low but does not look odd in place.

The PST blade opens straight.

The PST blade does click into place when opened but not with a satisfyingly 'snap' and can be closed very easily.

Filing a deeper notch into the PST blade may help make it 'snap' into the open position more securely.

The PST blade has the same size pivot hole and is the same thickness (or very close) to the SOG tools so it is a straight swap with no modifications. The PST blade has a sturdier feel than the SOG and looks 'factory' in place. The PST blade not being very secure in the open position and the nail nick not lining up are the compromises.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 02:32:22 PM by lemo »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 02:39:04 PM
Thanks for sharing :tu: It is odd that the PST blade locks firmly in place and the Fuse blade does not :think: Wonder if a Kick blade would lock in like the PST or Fuse :think:

Also it is bad that the scissors open ig nick is in the way :-\

Again thanks for sharing :cheers:

gb Offline lemo

Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 03:20:31 PM
Thanks for sharing :tu: It is odd that the PST blade locks firmly in place and the Fuse blade does not :think: Wonder if a Kick blade would lock in like the PST or Fuse :think:

Also it is bad that the scissors open ig nick is in the way :-\

Again thanks for sharing :cheers:

It was a KICK blade that I fitted. My mistake. The Fuse and Blast have the same blade which is too long. I have edited my post to avoid confusion.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 04:02:59 PM
Nice!
My wave scissors mod worked perfectly fine on my PL, no overtraveling or issues at all

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 04:47:16 PM
You put the scissors on the side farthest from the "long tool" slot, correct? I bet if you put the scissors in the spot immediately next to the long tool, the PPP will close correctly.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

gb Offline lemo

Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 06:23:41 PM
You put the scissors on the side farthest from the "long tool" slot, correct? I bet if you put the scissors in the spot immediately next to the long tool, the PPP will close correctly.

I think I had to fit the scissors away from the long tools due to the thumb plate on the scissors.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 10:09:19 PM

I think I had to fit the scissors away from the long tools due to the thumb plate on the scissors.
You should be able to do it on the other handle.

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 02:40:51 AM
Thanks for sharing!  :cheers:
If you manage to fit the scissors I might put them in mine too.  :tu:

gb Offline lemo

Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 07:06:44 PM

You should be able to do it on the other handle.

For some reason, I didn't think of that  :-\

Fitting the scissors on the file side does allow the PPP to be closed without the pliers hitting the scissors.

Other issues. With the scissors fitted between the flat head driver and the file, the pliers hit the flat head screwdriver so the PPP cannot close. With the scissors fitted between the file and the Philips driver the Philips driver head hits the scissors. With washers fitted the Philips and the scissors still hit but they can be pushed around each other. Also same issue with the scissors folding down when in use. Its passable if you really need to have good working scissors.

gb Offline lemo

Reply #11 on: September 09, 2016, 02:38:09 PM
Tried some old shape Wave scissors.

OG Wave scissors in place of the main blade.

OG Wave scissors in place of the can opener.

Scissors open correctly. Do not over rotate and do not look out of place.

The OG wave scissors have the same pivot size and take up the space of just less than two tools or one tool and the plastic washer. A thin washer of about 1mm needs to be added so everything fits snugly. The scissors do not get in the way of closing the handles. The scissors can be opened using the nail nick or via clumping.

So perfect fit then? Unfortunately not. For some reason that I cannot figure out, the scissors do not spring back open when fitted in the PPP. I tried fitting them multiple times and refitted them back into the Wave to confirm that they do function properly.

Scissors stay closed.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: September 09, 2016, 04:27:35 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

The OG wave scissors have the same pivot size and take up the space of just less than two tools or one tool and the plastic washer. A thin washer of about 1mm needs to be added so everything fits snugly. The scissors do not get in the way of closing the handles. The scissors can be opened using the nail nick or via clumping.

So perfect fit then? Unfortunately not. For some reason that I cannot figure out, the scissors do not spring back open when fitted in the PPP. I tried fitting them multiple times and refitted them back into the Wave to confirm that they do function properly.

Scissors stay closed.

I actually did this mod last week (and forgot to report back. Oops). I am having no issues with the old scissors in my Pocket Power Plier. Do you have the special "stepped" washer in place?

Heres my tool loadout now:
Side 1:
PST file
Rebar Can Opener
PST II scissors
PST "bent" medium screwdriver (I never knew how thin this implement was!)

Side 2 (this side is a bit tight)
SOG serrated blade
PST awl
SOG Bottle Opener
PST "bent" Phillips driver

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: September 09, 2016, 05:33:57 PM

Scissors stay closed.

Good job lemo and thanks for sharing that with us :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

:like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62