Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Cap lifter on an Executive

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Cap lifter on an Executive
on: August 20, 2016, 08:57:52 PM
My girlfriend's birthday is coming up and I plan on gifting her an Executive after giving it a scale swap. Problem is that it lacks the cap lifter. I've searched the Internet a bit and it seems like the orange peeler is the best place to add one.

Now, anyone can make a cap lifter (seems like it's otherwise impossible to find a tool without one) but how do one design a good cap lifter?

This is my plan right now but I'd be glad to have some input.

PS. What pin size does the 75mm series use? I'm considering changing the liners for brass and then I'd have to replace the pins.

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Re: Cap lifter on an Executive
Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 11:57:17 PM
Drink twist caps :drink:
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 12:26:04 AM
Drink twist caps :drink:

Sadly not really a solution around here.

It seems I forgot the picture i intended to add.
20160820_205357-1161x2064.jpg
* 20160820_205357-1161x2064.jpg (Filesize: 125.17 KB)

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 12:49:21 AM
I'm curious about this.

Money Clip SAK is 74mm...but it looks to me like the nail file on it is the same as 58mm...

Can 58mm tools fit the pins and springs of 74mm knives?

Could you use the cap lifter/screwdriver combo tool from a 58mm knife?

-JJL
instagram: jamesjlarue (warning, lots of cat pics along with the SAKs)

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 01:24:30 AM

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 01:39:03 AM
I'll just leave this link here :whistle:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=51220.0

Thank you! So much for my searching skills :oops:

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 21, 2016, 02:29:27 AM
I'll just leave this link here :whistle:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=51220.0

Double thanks, as I've got 74mm donors on the way, and hadn't seen this thread. the 91mm awl is definitely in the mix now.
-JJL
instagram: jamesjlarue (warning, lots of cat pics along with the SAKs)

us Offline cody6268

Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 03:17:36 AM
Fit a Nite Ize Doohickey on the keyring.  Adds a prybar (something the orange peeler isn't strong enough for, unlike the 84mm and above bottle opener), wrenches, and of course, a bottle opener.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: August 21, 2016, 04:02:34 AM
Can't wait to see what projects that come of this thread :cheers:

:popcorn:

fr Offline Michel M.

• Custom SAK & Opinel
Reply #9 on: August 21, 2016, 08:08:56 AM
It's 2 mm pins on 74 mm. There's no problem to do new liners, they're not embossed.
Michel

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #10 on: August 21, 2016, 09:06:52 AM
Not sure of the changeover year, but early 74mms have 1.5mm pins.
The 2mm pins are easier to work with but if you want to add 58mm tools like the caplifter/phillips you'll need to drill the hole out to 2mm. I have some carbide drill bits that I bought on eBay. They work really well but are quite fragile to side loads and break easily if not used in a drill press.

fr Offline Michel M.

• Custom SAK & Opinel
Reply #11 on: August 21, 2016, 10:54:48 AM
Yes, even with a drill press. The edge always have cracks, so we have to sharpen after each use and in this size it's not easy.
Michel

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: August 27, 2016, 08:56:15 PM
My girlfriend is away so I had to take my chance to work a bit on the tool. So after taking it apart (I really need some better <2 mm drill bits) I started with the least relevant :facepalm:

The tweezers. I felt like they should have a brass head to fit with the brass theme. I made the brass part from a V, meant to be attached to a wall or something.
My file made short work of the brass and I drilled holes to match where the plastic was originally. Then I used small pins  (sold as posts for bead work) and some solder to keep them in place.

It's 2 mm pins on 74 mm. There's no problem to do new liners, they're not embossed.

They are embossed though, not so much that I think it will prove a problem.
20160827_120009-1161x2064.jpg
* 20160827_120009-1161x2064.jpg (Filesize: 155.91 KB)
20160827_120033-2064x1161.jpg
* 20160827_120033-2064x1161.jpg (Filesize: 180.21 KB)
20160827_121831-1161x2064.jpg
* 20160827_121831-1161x2064.jpg (Filesize: 115.45 KB)

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: August 27, 2016, 09:00:34 PM
The next step was to get fix the cap lifter. I printed a picture of a Rambler to have a guide to work after and then I first did a test run on some scrap steel sheet before I did my own Executive (less important to get it right) and after that the to be gift Executive.
Making cap lifters is perfect because you really have a good reason to celebrate that you're finished by trying it out :cheers:
20160827_203256-2064x1161.jpg
* 20160827_203256-2064x1161.jpg (Filesize: 107.94 KB)
20160827_203451-2064x1161.jpg
* 20160827_203451-2064x1161.jpg (Filesize: 79.75 KB)

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #14 on: August 27, 2016, 09:31:37 PM
What tools did you use to make the cuts for the bottle opener? Have any pics of the process?

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: August 27, 2016, 10:27:01 PM
What tools did you use to make the cuts for the bottle opener? Have any pics of the process?

No pictures of the process but I'll upload one now of the tools.
It's almost identical to neillcurries setup from the thread you linked. Parting disks, one single .4mm and a spindle with a stack of 3x.8mm. One for the grunt work and one for precision.  And then a diamond cone to really get in behind the lip and to smoothen things out.
I plan on finish the tools with sand paper and then polish the parts I can get to with a small wheel.

For the brass work I used a set off jewelers files and a bigger file, both from Bacho. The brass will also get a finishing sanding after it's finally adapted to the scales.
20160827_221629-2064x1161.jpg
* 20160827_221629-2064x1161.jpg (Filesize: 149.98 KB)

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: December 05, 2016, 10:41:22 PM
Was it August last time I worked on this project? I've been lazy I guess. But since we're coming up on Christmas and it's meant to be a Christmas gift I guess it's time to get started.

I have acquired the necessary materials. Brass sheet, brass rod, brass flat stock (for the spacer) and some Ebony.

I decided to start small with the spacer so I cut a small piece of the flat bar (plenty of extra to hold on to while working) and drilled a 2mm hole (no need to be exact, there will be plenty of shaping to do anyway).

Deburring, it would be awesome if I could use the Dremel for more of the work but since I live in a fairly small apartment I have to consider dust management carefully. I have considered building a removable glovebox/hood for my work surface but nothing has come of it as of yet.

Next I found myself a M2 machine screw from my tin of screws and a matching nut.

After placing the parts in my vice I can now use the original part as template.

Coarse cutting.

And coarse filing.

And needle file for the last work.

When the side is done it's time to go on to the next side, basically going through the same steps again.

And this is where I left of for today, it's going to take some time but hopefully that will pay of in result. There are quite a few pictures now so it would be nice if a Moderator would be so kind as to add a warning in the topic title for those with limited bandwidth.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: December 07, 2016, 10:42:36 PM
Really great pics and close-up shots 42 :like: :like: I can't wait to see this project finished :o :cheers: :cheers: :tu:

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: December 17, 2016, 09:54:40 PM
Been doing some more work but before I continue and before I put up pictures, am I gonna hit myself for not reaming the holes? Right now I'm using standard drill bits and the holes have a faint but unmistakable triangular shape to them.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: December 19, 2016, 10:56:48 PM
So, more pictures today, this is not a quick job the way I'm doing it. I would say that I have fairly good tools but I'm lacking in workspace.

First step was to attach the liners together so that I could shape them all at the same time and after that I did some coarse shaping with my Dremel (Proxxon). I so wish I had had a belt-sander for this, as it where it took ages and I had to work more or less inside my dustbin to catch most of the brass dust.

After this I did some deburring and then did some finer work with sandpaper, ending in something fairly smooth and of the right size.

The ebony I was planning on using had to go since the blade had wobbled all over the place when I cut it previously (on a table saw)

Instead this mystery wood had to do, I was planning on using it for a knife of my own but I can cut more from the ashtray that it came from. I marked out where the tweezers were going and started carving. The chisel is made from some unknown broken tool that my father had laying around. It's just a bit broader than the 3 mm that the T&T are.

After making a rough carving I sawed out the slot and then started the fitting. Don't worry, I sanded the piece so that those ugly scratches wouldn't show.

Here I held the liner to the scale to see how well the tweezers would fit. Not very well it seems so I marked where it stopped and did some carving on the inside there.

Now that's better!

Lastly I epoxied the scale to the liner.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 10:58:23 PM by Fortytwo »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: December 20, 2016, 05:40:36 AM
Excellent looking work so far :tu: :like: :like:

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: December 20, 2016, 06:24:47 PM
Excellent looking work so far :tu: :like: :like:

Thank you Poncho, more pictures will come later today.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: December 20, 2016, 10:59:28 PM
Did some more work today, glued the next scale to the liner, I don't plan on having the toothpick (I would like this one to have no plastic at all) so it was very straight forward.

I did the shaping for the first scale, it seems that the tweezers slot didn't come out as centred as I would have liked but it's not to bad either (it doesn't look as bad as in the picture!).

I drilled the holes through the scale I plan on this one having exposed rivets. I should have done this before gluing so I could have lined it up properly. Before I have used a scale as template by drilling through it at the relevant places, I don't know why I didn't do that this time, live and learn I guess.

It's coming along fairly well, all the pieces are started and I should be able to make my morning of 22nd deadline.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: December 21, 2016, 11:11:14 PM
So when I started today I had all the pieces but at a very basic level. So now it was time to get everything where I wanted it. I started by doing the rough shaping of the second scale with my Dremel, followed by sticking the two scales together with my pins and sanding the sides to where I wanted them.

After that I finished the middle liner. I had left it yesterday after cutting the basic shape out with a jewellers saw but now I used first the Dremel  followed by needle files and lastly 600 grit sandpaper to finish it. While working on it I clamped it in my vice after putting electrician's tape on the jaws.

Next up I counter-sunk the pin holes. I messed this step up a bit and made it to deep on one hole and then I overcompensated on the rest of the holes.

Then came the single step that did the most for the look of progress, assembly! For this I made use of my Spirit after covering the pliers in tape so as not to mar anything.

I then started the peening work, the overly countersunk hole is clearly visible at the lover right pin here.

When I had done some basic peening, enough that I felt sure it wouldn't just move through I cut of the extra length of pin.

Peening both sides was a bit of a hassle on the super small "anvil" so I resorted to making a harness. I didn't as such hold the knife in place but at least I didn't have to keep it from tipping off.

Finally I built myself a tool for the last operation, rounding the edges. It started it's life as a stick, a short piece of double sided tape (the foamy kind) and two different grits of sandpaper (180 and 600).

The brass head on the tweezers had a bubble in the casting so I elected not to throw any more work after a piece that is going to be replaced, other than that the knife is finished. I opted for some rapeseed (canola) oil as finish, since it is both food safe and not overly prone to go rancid.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 11:14:55 PM by Fortytwo »

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: December 22, 2016, 10:02:03 AM
Great work and work in progress pictures  :drool:   :tu:

I like to see how other people work!  :salute:
Inside I run my house hoover with the nozzle 'behind' the work when using the dremel (but you have to be careful with small parts  :whistle: ) a bit noisy but keeps the dust down  ;)

:cheers:
Everything’s adjustable

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #25 on: December 22, 2016, 12:10:09 PM
Lovely stuff there :tu:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #26 on: December 22, 2016, 04:22:15 PM
I have to say, that looks pretty great
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline cali-SAK-attack

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: December 23, 2016, 12:53:16 AM
 8) :like: :multi:
***CLICK on my pics to see actual sized photo :)

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: December 23, 2016, 01:25:15 AM
Nice work man  :cheers:

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: December 23, 2016, 11:52:25 AM
Thanks guys! I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, it's not perfect but it does look nice and there's nothing stopping me from making a few tweaks later on. I'm hoping to do a bit of a write up  and collect my thoughts on what worked and what didn't as well as what tools were necessary or useful.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%