Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG Black Oxide Pocket Power Plier B44

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
SOG Black Oxide Pocket Power Plier B44
on: August 20, 2016, 11:36:17 PM
So I bought a SOG BO PPP B44 on a whim, still new in box. I had none of SOG multis in my arsenal, after some freak incident in the past (snapping the Phillips driver with fingers, literally). First impression is, the PPP is well design in both fit and finish. The skewed plier head design should be valuable in hard to reach situation. The compound leverage gear design is smart. In this design, the sheath metal for the handles do not need to be very thick thick to support the the pliers. A clever answer the classic configuration of the Leatherman PST. I wish SOG had two small implements in place of the spacers, to make it four in each handle.

Over all, a good-looking multi, really. The pliers are really nice and precision. If I had to gift a female acquaintance a multi as a glove box component, this will be a strong candidate.

Notice the GSA-B44 label on the box. I wonder if the seller bought it at a GSA auction  ??? The earliest this tool was mention in this forum was in Sept 2006. When was it discontinued? One of the reason I picked it up was because I could barely find any info about it on Google. I am glad I bought it.  :tu:

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Re: SOG Black Oxide Pocket Power Plier B44
Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 04:54:23 AM
The Pocket PowerPlier is a favorite of mine. Here is an article on the Multitool Encyclopedia that I think will help to shed some light on the Pocket PowerPlier for you:
http://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.php?page=Pocket+PowerPlier

I know the S44 (the stainless version of your tool) is still in production, I think the B44 (BO version) is discontinued, and I know the S45 (and by extension, B45) models are discontinued.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 06:36:30 AM
The Pocket PowerPlier is a favorite of mine. Here is an article on the Multitool Encyclopedia that I think will help to shed some light on the Pocket PowerPlier for you:
http://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.php?page=Pocket+PowerPlier

I know the S44 (the stainless version of your tool) is still in production, I think the B44 (BO version) is discontinued, and I know the S45 (and by extension, B45) models are discontinued.
Thanks for the link to the article. It gives me satisfaction knowing that my tool was 100% US made.  :tu:
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 06:44:12 AM by chrono »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 06:49:30 AM
Looks awesome in BO.  The PPP is a really nice compact MT that really doesn't get the love it should.  I thought it was a terrific tool but I had already fallen for my Wave/Surge.  Probably what happens to many.  I have a Harley Davidson PPP with the Harley Logo stamped into the handles and plier head.  It also came with a Harley branded sheath. 
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD