Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How long do you wait?

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
How long do you wait?
on: August 20, 2016, 11:52:22 PM
I now know I am an addict. 

Received a new LM Rebar last weekend, ran it through the break end process, carried it and used it everyday this past week, totally pleased with my new tool. 

But, through this entire period I am looking and pondering my next "new" toy, I mean tool.   

A crunch, a charge, or go large and pick a Surge to compliment my ST300?

Maybe a Gerber, a SOG, or a Vic spirit?

I feel guilty, but not, I really do not need another, or do I?

How do others cope? 

Hello, my name is LC .....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Re: How long do you wait?
Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 12:26:31 AM
You need a Spirit.

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 12:27:41 AM
There is no hope... You cannot cope...

us Offline metasyntax

Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 12:32:51 AM
May it be as the Pattern has chosen.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 12:40:47 AM
I wait until PayPal recovers. ...

And yes, you need a Spirit!   :pok:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 01:28:49 AM
Spirit for sure. :tu: Then an MP600. Then find yourself a nice US made Schrade Tough Tool. And then........ :)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #6 on: August 21, 2016, 02:41:01 AM
So, what is being said, my feelings are NORMAL, no quilt required!  It ok to lust after a new tool.
Right?
Maybe need a go funded account established.

Thanks for the help, I thought I was ill. 

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline cody6268

Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 02:42:28 AM
Depends.  I probably only buy a new multitool, SAK, or knife that's over $20 no more than once or twice a year.     However, sometimes, I will buy a used multitool, knife, or SAK on Sunday off Ebay or other online store, then buy another one (or sometimes two, three or four) at the flea market or even another Ebay purchase by Monday.

As far as making my mind up--I've had knives on my list for a decade (Vic Equestrian, Vic Master Gardener and Electrician were on my list when I started collecting, still haven't got htem)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 02:43:54 AM by cody6268 »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: August 21, 2016, 06:16:01 AM
All sounds normal to me as well.  I was on a buying spree to try out all the tools I lusted over.  I've been lucky enough to get most of all I wanted to try and funny thing is I am using the same Wave I had when I started.  Sure a new tool will get some play time but winning belt time is near impossible.  It's a fun hobby so have fun and get a Surge, then Crunch, then a TTi before you get a Spirit as some will tell you after the Spirit you'll be ruined.  It didn't happen to me but it has happened to many.

Enjoy.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #9 on: August 21, 2016, 07:19:53 AM
Spirit for sure. :tu: Then an MP600. Then find yourself a nice US made Schrade Tough Tool. And then........ :)

:twak:  I'm sure It was merely oversight that caused you to leave  plierench off this list.   :twak: :twak: :D :rofl:
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #10 on: August 21, 2016, 07:27:30 AM
What you REALLY need is a SOG Paratool for the "fiddle-factor"..  :pok:

:D :D

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

au Offline Gohard

• Leatherman fanatic!!
Reply #12 on: August 21, 2016, 08:22:14 AM
I now know I am an addict. 

Received a new LM Rebar last weekend, ran it through the break end process, carried it and used it everyday this past week, totally pleased with my new tool. 

But, through this entire period I am looking and pondering my next "new" toy, I mean tool.   

A crunch, a charge, or go large and pick a Surge to compliment my ST300?

Maybe a Gerber, a SOG, or a Vic spirit?

I feel guilty, but not, I really do not need another, or do I?

How do others cope? 

Hello, my name is LC .....

Hallo LC.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #13 on: August 21, 2016, 12:12:13 PM
All sounds normal to me as well.  I was on a buying spree to try out all the tools I lusted over.  I've been lucky enough to get most of all I wanted to try and funny thing is I am using the same Wave I had when I started.  Sure a new tool will get some play time but winning belt time is near impossible.  It's a fun hobby so have fun and get a Surge, then Crunch, then a TTi before you get a Spirit as some will tell you after the Spirit you'll be ruined.  It didn't happen to me but it has happened to many.

Enjoy.   

It happened to me.
I say, if you need to save money for survival, get the  Spirit and settle.
If you have money to spend, get what shines to your eyes and leave the Spirit for the last in line.
Buy used from here and other forums. Some collect tools and preowned most times doesn't mean used, or abused. Even if it is used, it will serve the purpose of knowing the tool.
The tools you don't want to keep, you might sell them here and even giveaway one or two, when (if) you reach milestones such as 1000 posts and such. Or keep them for the Xmas exchange. Other people might like them. It is a pitty to stay in a drawer when someone might use them well. You might give them to a friend/relative also, as a gift.
Having spent money  for telescopes, binoculars and toy soldiers, I think that playing with SAKs, multitools or knives isn't a very expensive hobby, provided you follow the advices above and not become a serious collector that feels the need to collect all items of a series, or all existing tools. We have some serious collectors here, but most of us are here for the fun of it.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #14 on: August 21, 2016, 01:53:28 PM
I agree with the above posts,

if you want to collect and try out many different things, go for it. Go big (Surge), fun (PocketPowerPlier), modern (TTI) or classic (MP600), be fascinated by the Crunch and get pinched by some Gerbers, and dro your jaws at the Swiss tools' action and finish.

But if you depend on your scarce money to carry on and get by, and still want a MT, get a Spirit.

For someone in need of a good, reliable tool, it's the go-to option. It is a once in a lifetime purchase for most users.

If you call yourself a collector you have to get one of them, of course... or two :D

But yeah, in any of those two cases, the Spirit has to be held and tried if you have any appreciation for the multitool world! And being where you are, it seems you don't lack that interest.  :multi:

There's always something new to try out, in this hobby!  :tu:

Search out for old tools, or start modding; find your perfect keychain SAK or go searching for the weirdest implements that Wenger made

Collect all versions of your favorite tool or get into sheaths, flashlights or OPT.

A thousand ways to do it, just pick your own!  :salute:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline metasyntax

Reply #15 on: August 21, 2016, 03:06:07 PM
ThePeacent, I think you summed it up absolutely perfectly. :hatsoff:
May it be as the Pattern has chosen.

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #16 on: August 21, 2016, 04:35:07 PM
What you REALLY need is a SOG Paratool for the "fiddle-factor"..  :pok:

:D :D
Oh, I have 5 or 6 of these, I like and have those in bike bag, a couple different tool boxes and on work bench.

How I got is another story, zero cost to me is all I can say.  Just not great for me to carry. 

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #17 on: August 21, 2016, 04:36:48 PM

Hope yours is as good!

england Offline Kev D

Reply #18 on: August 21, 2016, 05:43:58 PM
Only wait until I have the funds to get the next tool I want. A pair of crunches will be next for me when funds allow.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #19 on: August 22, 2016, 12:08:50 AM
Only wait until I have the funds to get the next tool I want. A pair of crunches will be next for me when funds allow.

The Crunch is excellent indeed, but if you intend on getting two vise grips, why not try something else apart from the LM?

You have Schrade, Kershaw and Gerber.

Schrades bite real hard, moreso than the others, IME.

You'd have much more versatilty if you combine the inner tools of any of those with the Crunch...

and have each type of head (Needlenose and Blunt nose, I've found unique uses for both)

just a comment, whatever you choose I'm sure you'll like it! Mine was carried these holidays at the Pyrinees  :tu:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Swiss Guy

Reply #20 on: August 22, 2016, 12:10:37 AM
I have a Leatherman Surge on the way but I already have a Swisstool Spirit so I would say get the Spirit. If you are low on funds, just sell a few of your SOG Paratools. Problem solved.  :cheers:
The right tool is the one you have on you

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #21 on: August 22, 2016, 03:03:06 AM
My concern is not WHAT get, but more a concern if search for new tool immediately after taking possession of one that has been desired is normal or not. 

I use my MTs, some are designated for special assignments, yet I found a ST300 for under half price at a blue home improvement store.  Purchased only because it was a deal, not because I researched, researched, and researched, just a impulse buy because of the deal.  The same happen with a Rev and a couple Wingmans. 
But, I loved the tool set, and used daily during the July challenge.  The weight was the only drawback to make it EDC. 
The Rebar was researched, it was then my reward for successfully completing the challenge  and since I was not lucky for the MTo Rebar draw.
Now it is my EDC, live it, yet looking at other options.
Now I know I am not the only sick one here ;)

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: August 22, 2016, 05:08:39 AM
I usually take my time and search out what I really want but I do get things other than that in my search along the way though :whistle: A lot of the fun for me is the search itself :cheers: I do like the tool whenever I do get it but I usually am wanting something else by the time that I find what I was looking for :D

Welcome to :MTO: LC ;)

This is why most of us are here or at least how we got here :ahhh I was searching for info on the PST and what might be a good replacement for it and I don't know how many MTs and SAKs later and here I am still searching for the next one :facepalm: Just go with it and get what funds allow and try not to go to overboard if you can help it :D

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #23 on: August 22, 2016, 11:02:55 AM
Wait? That's an interesting concept  :think:

I used to come here a lot.

us Offline leathermon

• Better to have a tool, than be a tool.
Reply #24 on: August 22, 2016, 11:46:09 AM
We are all infected and there is no cure...... but hey at least here you won't get yelled at.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #25 on: August 24, 2016, 01:58:44 AM
Well, I now do not feel like I was short changing my selection experience.
Having used my Rebar as a EDC for almost 10 days, I am very pleased with this tool, a great complement to designated hand tools and paired with my Micra, a great duo. 
I am now browsing, looking for great deal, will move along slower now as I am normally ill

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #26 on: August 24, 2016, 03:02:15 AM
I tend to wait a long while before I get a new one. If I find something I like, I will use it til there is nothing left. That and the lack of money. LOL!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 03:04:10 AM by ducttapetech »
Nate

SEND IT!

dk Offline T14

• Embrace the SAK
Reply #27 on: August 26, 2016, 07:38:13 AM
Pick up a few shinies as funds allow. use them respectfully. Get a feel for strengths and weaknesses. Discuss them with your fellow inmates here. And then SWAP or trade them with other likeminded individuals.

If you then become part of a network of tit-for-tat swappers you can get to try out different things at a fraction of what it would cost to aquire and keep them.

Just a thought :)
-Tom
All I know is that I don't know anything - but I can't prove it!

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #28 on: August 26, 2016, 08:12:23 PM
There is nothing right or wrong about feelings, they just are. It's whether you act on them, or whether your life spins uncontrollably into a downward spiral because of them, that you need to pay attention to them.
If it all becomes a bit too much for you, just try standing in front of a mirror and repeat a few times: "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me."
Welcome to the human condition.
My normal billing rate is $125 an hour, but for you I will accept partial payments made in Victorinox Spirit-X's.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 08:18:05 PM by neillcurrie »

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #29 on: August 27, 2016, 01:13:51 PM
There is nothing right or wrong about feelings, they just are. It's whether you act on them, or whether your life spins uncontrollably into a downward spiral because of them, that you need to pay attention to them.

^^ This!

When I was collecting I had no budget or quota or anything. I went through a simple checklist:

1) Do I want this item (not need else the answer is almost always no)? If so;
2) Can I afford this item?

Then you act accordingly. Simples.

I'm the same now, but I want less than I used to :)
I used to come here a lot.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD