Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Help Removing Juice Rivets

us Offline Joseph Gonzalez

Help Removing Juice Rivets
on: August 22, 2016, 09:11:52 PM
I really screwed this up. I tried to drill/grind the rivets off with a dremel. The first one came out halfway and got stuck. On the second one, I ground it flat, but I can't get it to budge with a punch and hammer. Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

20160822_095313-1.jpg
* 20160822_095313-1.jpg (Filesize: 32.15 KB)
20160822_095323-1.jpg
* 20160822_095323-1.jpg (Filesize: 21.79 KB)
20160822_095335-1.jpg
* 20160822_095335-1.jpg (Filesize: 36.17 KB)
Regards,

Joe Gonzalez

"Build a man a fire and keep him warm for a day; set him on fire and keep him warm for the rest of his life."

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Re: Help Removing Juice Rivets
Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 09:17:40 PM
I haven't tried this on a Leatherman yet, but I've drilled out a couple SAKs. I know there are folks here who have disassembled Juice's before, so you may want to wait from them.  But anyway...

Sometimes drilling a small hole down the middle of the pin (hollowing it out) helps give it some room to bend inwards as it's pushed through.  Otherwise, try to get a bit as close to the pin size (I want to say it's 1/8 in?) and start drilling down until it budges (after center-punching, being careful not to nick the tools, etc).

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 09:17:46 PM
I know we have some Juice modders in the house so they should be along shortly to help.

In the mean time what sort of mod are you going to do?
I'm the milk man!

Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 10:58:56 PM
I'd like to remove the can opener because I never use it and don't like the way it interferes with the scissors. I also have a second S2, so I plan to disassemble that one also, then take the best parts of both and put together a Slim Jim. I already have the pivots and screws.  After that, I'm going to look at scale options.

I don't have a drill press, but I do have a hand drill. I tried drilling the rivet, but barely scratched it. I guess I need to pick up a 1/8" bit. What type should I get?

Regards,

Joe Gonzalez

"Build a man a fire and keep him warm for a day; set him on fire and keep him warm for the rest of his life."

Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 03:42:05 AM
I think I've got a plan now. I bought a set of diamond tip burrs. I'm going to use a small one to drill out the center of the rivet. Think that will work?

Regards,

Joe Gonzalez

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 04:05:15 AM
Drilling those out are tough. I use a mill, but still the pivots spin. So best way to do it is to cut a slot on one side, so a screwdriver bit can fit it, then hole one side and drill out the other.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 04:52:14 AM
This would be my choice of tool for disassembling  a juice :rofl:

Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 05:36:51 AM
Thanks Steve. I'll give that a try when my bits arrive on the 30th.

Sorry PTRSAK, I'm a Ruger fan! ;-)

Regards,

Joe Gonzalez

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 05:57:04 PM
Thanks Steve. I'll give that a try when my bits arrive on the 30th.

Sorry PTRSAK, I'm a Ruger fan! ;-)

Anytime!
I'm a Ruger fan too
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 03:22:55 AM
The best way to get it out is a punch. Weaken the head as much as you dare slap that sucker in a vice and let the punch drive it out. 

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

Reply #10 on: August 30, 2016, 01:28:29 AM
I tried that and got two of them halfway out, then they got stuck. I don't have a vice, so I'm putting them on a block with a hole under the rivet so it has room to back out. I'm going to try a bigger hammer.

Regards,

Joe Gonzalez

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Reply #11 on: August 30, 2016, 05:35:12 AM
So, I would try coming at it from the other side.

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

Reply #12 on: August 30, 2016, 06:30:15 AM
That's a good idea. I'll try that.

Regards,

Joe Gonzalez

00 Offline roamingcat

Reply #13 on: February 22, 2019, 11:15:24 AM
Hi All. Would like to re-visit this thread.

I ran into a similar situation. I grinded the rivets flat / flush against the scales. I managed to drill down the center of the rivets with a 1.5mm drill bit (I only have this size carbon drill bit with me at the moment). But I still cannot remove the rivets.

Can some-one please advise me how I should proceed to remove the rivets? Thanks in advance !

20190222_180339~01.jpg
* 20190222_180339~01.jpg (Filesize: 158.69 KB)

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 22, 2019, 02:39:02 PM
The rivet on one side is thicker. I forgot which side.. If I were u, I will grind off the other end, punch again.

00 Offline roamingcat

Reply #15 on: February 23, 2019, 01:42:46 AM
Thank you ! I'll try that this weekend and see what happens. You have a great weekend Sam !

00 Offline roamingcat

Reply #16 on: February 23, 2019, 09:26:23 AM
The rivet on one side is thicker. I forgot which side.. If I were u, I will grind off the other end, punch again.

I finally got the rivets out thank you Sam  :like:! I must have been lucky and picked on the wrong side to grind off in my first attempt  :oops:

I can now go ahead and order the pivot screws from Knifekits :woohoo:. In the meantime, I have re-assembled it with my new configuration with temporary nuts and bolts, minus the springs.

My next challenge: how do I put the springs back? Should I install the springs before (or after)  installing the tools and pivot screws? Is there a sequence, e.g. tools first, then screws, then springs. Which ones go in first? Thanks again !

20190223_160735~01.jpg
* 20190223_160735~01.jpg (Filesize: 149.3 KB)

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: February 23, 2019, 01:56:45 PM

I finally got the rivets out thank you Sam  :like:! I must have been lucky and picked on the wrong side to grind off in my first attempt  :oops:

I can now go ahead and order the pivot screws from Knifekits :woohoo:. In the meantime, I have re-assembled it with my new configuration with temporary nuts and bolts, minus the springs.

My next challenge: how do I put the springs back? Should I install the springs before (or after)  installing the tools and pivot screws? Is there a sequence, e.g. tools first, then screws, then springs. Which ones go in first? Thanks again !

After everything assembled, springs to go in last!

00 Offline roamingcat

Reply #18 on: February 24, 2019, 03:08:18 AM

Thanks! May I ask which side of the springs go in first. the pivot end of the scissors, or the empty end?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 03:09:30 AM by roamingcat »

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: February 24, 2019, 05:58:45 AM

Thanks! May I ask which side of the springs go in first. the pivot end of the scissors, or the empty end?

At the moment you are using screws so the fit is not that tight yet u can try first. It should be easier now. Disclaimer- not responsible if your spring breaks.. Never broke mine before. Pliers, scissors, knife side first. Insert springs all the way in so it's resting on the back of the tools. As far as possible. U should feel some tension. Use a small hammer to tap the other end of the spring. A few taps it should pop in. The springs will try to slip off but u hold them there.

00 Offline roamingcat

Reply #20 on: February 25, 2019, 02:24:13 AM

At the moment you are using screws so the fit is not that tight yet u can try first. It should be easier now. Disclaimer- not responsible if your spring breaks.. Never broke mine before. Pliers, scissors, knife side first. Insert springs all the way in so it's resting on the back of the tools. As far as possible. U should feel some tension. Use a small hammer to tap the other end of the spring. A few taps it should pop in. The springs will try to slip off but u hold them there.

Thanks. I think I will wait for my new pivots to arrive before attempting to install the springs. Thanks for the advice and the caution on the springs.  :cheers:

00 Offline roamingcat

Reply #21 on: February 27, 2019, 02:56:52 AM
As a reference to future modders who want to remove the Juice S2 rivets. On the scissors side, file down the rivet head from the blank side of the scales (i.e. where there is no "leatherman" printing). The rivet head should appear slightly flatter compared to the opposite end if you examine it closely. Do NOT attack the other end where there is printing on the scales. As Sam kindly pointed out earlier, the rivets are thicker on one end. Once you have filed down the rivet heads from the "right" end, it should be quite easy to hammer out the rivet. On the knife side, the reverse applies, i.e. file down the rivet head from the printed side of the scales.

Hope this helps future modders and avoid the pain that we went through where we attacked the wrong end of the rivets and got stuck in our first attempt.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 04:37:18 AM by roamingcat »

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: February 27, 2019, 07:52:39 AM
As a reference to future modders who want to remove the Juice S2 rivets. On the scissors side, file down the rivet head from the blank side of the scales (i.e. where there is no "leatherman" printing). The rivet head should appear slightly flatter compared to the opposite end if you examine it closely. Do NOT attack the other end where there is printing on the scales. As Sam kindly pointed out earlier, the rivets are thicker on one end. Once you have filed down the rivet heads from the "right" end, it should be quite easy to hammer out the rivet. On the knife side, the reverse applies, i.e. file down the rivet head from the printed side of the scales.

Hope this helps future modders and avoid the pain that we went through where we attacked the wrong end of the rivets and got stuck in our first attempt.

:salute: glad I could help. Found this out through the hard way too.  :like:

00 Offline roamingcat

Reply #23 on: March 07, 2019, 03:16:12 PM
Well, I finally received my pivots today :) . I managed to grind down the pivots to fit. But I am having a hard time trying to shorten the screws that came with pivots  :facepalm:. They are so small and tough, and it keeps slipping off every time I try to saw it off. I have given up today and will try again tomorrow. Would it be easier to grind down the screws instead of hacking it down witn a saw? How did you guys shorten the screws?

Also, should I shorten both screws for each pivot making them of equal length, or shorten one screw only making one screw longer than the other to fit the pivot?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: March 07, 2019, 05:47:08 PM
Well, I finally received my pivots today :) . I managed to grind down the pivots to fit. But I am having a hard time trying to shorten the screws that came with pivots  :facepalm:. They are so small and tough, and it keeps slipping off every time I try to saw it off. I have given up today and will try again tomorrow. Would it be easier to grind down the screws instead of hacking it down witn a saw? How did you guys shorten the screws?

Also, should I shorten both screws for each pivot making them of equal length, or shorten one screw only making one screw longer than the other to fit the pivot?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

I remember I filed down mine. I bought 5 of them and boy are they ex.... They are pretty fragile too so treat them gentle. On first try, I forgot what I was doing that time and broke the screw head with the screw in the barrel..  :facepalm:

00 Offline roamingcat

Reply #25 on: March 08, 2019, 05:15:28 AM
I remember I filed down mine. I bought 5 of them and boy are they ex.... They are pretty fragile too so treat them gentle. On first try, I forgot what I was doing that time and broke the screw head with the screw in the barrel..  :facepalm:

Thank you Sam for the tip reassuring me to go ahead with the grind down route :like:. Indeed it is much easier than trying to hand saw such tiny screws (at least it is for a novice like me!) I am now down to last step, putting the springs back. I am having a lot of difficulty. I tried slipping the springs in first on the plier/ scsissors side (is that correct?) but having a lot of difficulty trying to close the other end (i.e. flat head drivers end) :facepalm:. Is there a certain procedure/ any tricks that could help me? Thanks again (and sorry to be a pain).

(fyi - The only mod I have done is remove the cap lifter and scales on the thicker side for a slimmed down profile. I am leaving the blade side alone.)

Screenshot_2019-03-08-11-35-57~02.jpg
* Screenshot_2019-03-08-11-35-57~02.jpg (Filesize: 203.74 KB)

00 Offline roamingcat

Reply #26 on: March 08, 2019, 10:03:08 AM
After googling hard, I finally came across this https://www.edcforums.com/threads/the-smoothie-metros-ultimate-leatherman-juice-mod-new-scales-incoming.104623/page-3 method which helped me solved the spring problem.

As the modder puts it: "Instead is fighting and trying to compress the springs, I notice that you can slide it in AFTER the pivots are done up/installed. They slide in and then with a very strategic tap with a tool or slow push in with a vice, it's actually quite easy!!"

I tried his method and even a novice like me was able to put the springs back without too much difficulty, many thanks to this gentleman. I thought I share this with others here for future reference.

My mod is now complete and I am real happy with the result. My S2 is now what it should have been in the first place, i.e. slimmer, lighter, more balanced on both sides, and smoother deployment of scissors without that horrible cap lifter in its way !

20190308_163212~03.jpg
* 20190308_163212~03.jpg (Filesize: 111.5 KB)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 10:07:09 AM by roamingcat »

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: March 08, 2019, 12:26:01 PM
 :like: Great that u manage to put them together without much difficulty.

Ironically Metro is a member here as well. I think he documented that mod in MTO too but it could be embedded deep somewhere. Funny how u had to look elsewhere.  :D :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: March 08, 2019, 04:54:29 PM
Nice mod.  Glad you got it sorted out.   :like:
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline roamingcat

Reply #29 on: March 10, 2019, 03:00:18 AM
:like: Great that u manage to put them together without much difficulty.

Ironically Metro is a member here as well. I think he documented that mod in MTO too but it could be embedded deep somewhere. Funny how u had to look elsewhere.  :D :D

Thank you Sam. Yes, I think it would be helpful for others if Metro's method could be made a sticky so it can be easily found as I think this is quite a common stumbling block for Juice modders and his solution is so ingenious.

Nice mod.  Glad you got it sorted out.   :like:

Thank you Aloha. This is my first mod and I am very happy with the result thanks to all the help from the folks here !

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%