Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Been doing some work in the Wiki

Huntsman · 871 · 73995

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Been doing some work in the Wiki
on: August 23, 2016, 04:48:40 AM
2018 Update: This thread has now been 'stickied ' in the Swiss Army Knights board.
Wiki users: Please feel free to add suggestions or requests to this thread for Wiki updates, or to point out errors.
Wiki editors: Please use this thread to record significant changes you have made, or to float out ideas for changes
Do List: There is an editors' Do List that we will maintain at the bottom of this first post
*******************************************************************************************************************************************

SAKWiki, as I am sure everyone on this board knows, is a brilliant and amazing source of information for SAK fans  :D
What is even better is that it was set up, and is maintained, by MTo members  :tu:
To those people, past and present, who created and look after our Wiki we are eternally grateful  :salute:

Several of us here maintain the Wiki and I thought it would be good to get a thread going where we record what we have done - so others can see, and maybe check it out.
Eg - I know a lot of work was done by a couple of members led by enki over the turn of the year to make some corrections following a software change.
And when I go in there I can see that other folk have done stuff  - Eg some good pictures have been recently added

I have done quite a bit of work on it this year - Most of it just minor corrections and format changes –  I rarely change the actual information content - But a few more significant updates.
Here’s my list:

New page
  • For the Pioneer X – Including adding it into the various index pages and Related Knives sections - Yay
Significant restructuring of pages
  • The Companion 58mm – Juggled the History, Variations, Scales, Identifiers sections added Executive as related
  • The Swisschamp – Made SOS kits a separate section and other stuff
  • The Cybertool – Made the Variations a separate section (it was stuck in the middle of the models) and other stuff
  • The Scissors Tool Page – Added in Pioneer scissors and revised comment about gold rivet
Similar updates to multiple pages
Note: I did not do a systematic review/search of the whole site - I just update stuff when I see it!!
  • The layer index pages were very out of date for discontinued models etc – I have updated most of these
  • Several models are not marked as discontinued on their main page - corrected - Note: Probably some of these still to do!!
  • In many ‘Related Knives’ sections - on separate lines, there was often: an orphaned bullet, then a Wenger/Vic image, then the text. I revised this to be the image then the text with its bullet! Note: Probably lots of these still to do!!
  • Updated a few ‘Related Knives’ sections with additions/subtractions and re-ordering/re-wording
  • Added titles to some of the pictures
  • Corrected various links
  • Corrected a few spelling errors
  • Spread out some introductory sections into a few paragraphs - to make them a bit more readable
There you go I think that is pretty much it  :D

I am usually pretty good at recording the edits I make in the history section – So you can always see precisely what I did and compare with previous versions etc.
And please let me know if I have got anything wrong or if there are more additions - And of course if you are an existing editor you can correct it yourself.

And one plea for help to the more seasoned editors…
In the new Pioneer X page – Most of the page is OK - But the toc does not work
- I seem to have been taken to the wysiwyg editor. – And cannot fix it there – The help tells you how to get out of the wysy editor – But the button to do this is not there – So I cannot fix it.
- Can someone tell me how to do this please, or fix it themselves  :tu:

Cheers all

PS. I know there is a major chunk of work to do for the Delemonts and enki may organise this sometime – Watch this space!!

********************************************************* Do List: *********************************************************
This is a do list for the Wiki editors - Which we will try and maintain with requests and additions (from the end of the thread) - and deletions when completed
Note: This is more for major pieces of work - Hopefully minor updates/corrections will be done on the fly as now
Editors - Please feel free to complete any of the below
  • Complete the Delémont 85mms – About 6 to do
  • Check and update the Delémont 'Physical specs' and 'Model Identifiers' sections – Some are done – Info is on Vic website or in the catalogue Mostly done - Could 2x check
  • Create the links from the corresponding Wenger SAK pages to the new Vic Delémont pages - Start at the Vics and work back Mostly done - Could 2x check
  • Update the tool pages with the tool to model info created by Little Tinker
  • Create a page for the Wenger Patagonia series  – Nick4 created- Huntsman completed Bit of work to finish off
  • Create a page for the Wenger leather and steel series – Huntsman plans to complete Nick4 completed
  • Create a page for the Vic Alox annual coloured Pioneer, Cadet, Classic series – And update links / reference pages Nick4 completed
  • Update the Vic Damascus page with a bit more info Nick4 completed
  • Fill in the page for the new Skipper Pro – And update links / reference pages
  • Create a series page for the Vic Classic annual crowd designed series – And update links / reference pages
  • ??? - Let us know any thing else!!!

Pictures required
  • Delémont RangerGrip 52, 53, 63 and Evolution 11, S101 and S111 – To replace grotty images on these pages
  • Nearly all the Swiss Buck images - As they have all been lost - Thanks Photobucket :twak:
  • Vic Damascus 2011 and 2012 - Ideally to match the excellent piccies from Nick4 on that page
« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 04:35:22 PM by Huntsman »

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Re: Been doing some work in the WIKI
Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 04:58:51 AM
Wow that's a lot of work. Thanks for letting us know about these updates
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 05:13:57 AM
Thank you!!!!!! 
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline cali-SAK-attack

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 05:16:53 AM
 8) :salute: :like:
***CLICK on my pics to see actual sized photo :)

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 06:05:29 AM
SAKWIKI is an awesome place to get information all in one place. It has helped me a lot to gain more knowledge for our beloved knife.

I take this opportunity to thank everyone involved in setting this up and for the continued development.  Kudos.

Yesterday, a friend asked me for some info on an 84mm knife with metal saw which we couldn't find on SAKWIKI. Somehow stumbled on this:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=56243.0

There are probably a lot of knifes still not listed. I hope this helps.

Again, thank you everyone for giving us SAKWIKI... :cheers:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 01:32:23 PM
Fixed the Pioneer X page for you.

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Pioneer+X

You made it a bit too complicated with the code. No need for most of the extras. Text and a img code now and then to make it look better.

Check the format I used for the Main window and the Table of content. Also for the layer tools and such, no need for some links and similar. just use ((Scissors|Scissors for cutting :P )) where the first word is the link to that specific tool page and the second one is what will be displayed on the page. You can of course just use ((Scissors))

As for switching between the wysiwyg editor and the wiki editor, that bugged me to for some time until I realized how to switch between them and had a :doh: moment. :P

Top right corner of the Edit page, there is a Pencil icon, and when you hover above it, it says Switch Editor (wiki or WYSIWYG)  .....

Click it. :facepalm:

:D

Hope this helps. :salute:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 01:39:45 PM
As for the missing 84mm pages, a lot of the 91mm models we have today once came in 84mm format also. We just need pics of them and the manpower to make all the pages.

Same problem is what hindered me in making the Delemont pages. I created the layer pages, the module for them on the right of the screen and some other stuff, but the actual model pages will be a big project. I thought at first about using the scans from the catalogs for the pics, but as we all know, they aren't exactly always correct, and some of the mockups from the first catalogs were ... flawed ::)

So if someone has a Delemont and is willing to make a pic for it, go right ahead. We'll fix it if needed be but if you follow a code template from an older page, and just change out the text, there shouldn't be any big problems.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 01:43:44 PM
One thing that still needs to be done is to check ALL the pages for broken SOSAK links and link them from broken SOSAKonline to working swissarmyknights.com links. The problem being you have to find them in swissarmyknights archives first. :whistle:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 01:58:18 PM
Nice work guys  :salute:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 02:07:17 PM
Fixed the Pioneer X page for you.
http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Pioneer+X
You made it a bit too complicated with the code. No need for most of the extras. Text and a img code now and then to make it look better.
Top right corner of the Edit page, there is a Pencil icon, and when you hover above it, it says Switch Editor (wiki or WYSIWYG)  .....
Hope this helps. :salute:

Thanks enki ........... The Master  :D  :salute:
To be honest I am not sure how I created the page - as you can see from the many versions/attempts  :o
I tried to use the template - I somehow ended up in the wysiwyg editor - I did a cut and paste from the Pioneer page - and lots of stuff got added in automatically - I think
 - Will deffo need some coaching if I am to help with the Delemonts !!  :facepalm:
I searched high and low for that pencil icon - As I read about it in the help text - And I still cannot see it   :twak:
Top right I seem to have the help button and a full screen toggle - Guess I am looking in the wrong place.

Anyway it's much better now and the reglar editor is back - And you included the Damascus piccie - Fantastic.

Thanks for all your help  :tu:
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 03:50:33 PM by Huntsman »

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 02:18:05 PM
Top row, second on the right in the wiki editor and third from the right on the wysiwyg editor.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: August 23, 2016, 04:46:39 PM
Red arrow marks the spot

WIKI editor:

WYSIWYG editor:

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #12 on: August 23, 2016, 04:51:15 PM
You know, we need editors for the Multitool Encyclopedia too  :whistle:
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #13 on: August 23, 2016, 06:20:07 PM
Wow that's a lot of work. Thanks for letting us know about these updates

+1

Thank you all for the effort and time you put in this.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

:hatsoff:  :salute:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #14 on: August 23, 2016, 06:29:56 PM
Don't know if this is the right thread to share pics, but just in case.

The horn scaled 84mm is my friend's knife I was talking about earlier. It has the same tool configuration as the 91mm Grand Prix.

Would love to know more about this if anyone has info. Thanks.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: August 23, 2016, 06:42:06 PM
Very nice work guys :cheers: I use the SAKwiki quite often and it is a great resource for me :tu:

This is very true and would love if we could get the MT Wiki updated as good as the SAKwiki :dd: as I have used it several times as well but no to the extent the SAKwiki is used because the SAKwiki is more complete :tu:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: August 23, 2016, 07:02:55 PM

This is very true and would love if we could get the MT Wiki updated as good as the SAKwiki :dd: as I have used it several times as well but no to the extent the SAKwiki is used because the SAKwiki is more complete :tu:

Get your own thread in the General board! :megaslap:

:rant:

Sheesh, those Plier People ::) Always wanna be cool like the Swiss Mob. :whistle:

Seriously though, the software the wikis use is the same, so if one learns how to do edits and create pages on one, they can transfer the knowledge to the other wiki.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: August 23, 2016, 07:14:25 PM

The horn scaled 84mm is my friend's knife I was talking about earlier. It has the same tool configuration as the 91mm Grand Prix.

Maybe better for a separate thread, but jazzbass calls the regular cellidor scaled one 135kmaU or the Small Grand Prix, pics are broken though.
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=21659.0

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #18 on: August 23, 2016, 07:19:19 PM

Maybe better for a separate thread, but jazzbass calls the regular cellidor scaled one 135kmaU or the Small Grand Prix, pics are broken though.
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=21659.0
Thanks for the info Enki...

gb Offline Little Tinker

Reply #19 on: August 24, 2016, 02:13:06 AM
Hi all

One of the reasons I signed up to MTO was to offer to do a bit of tidying on SAK Wiki, which I've found to be a fascinating read while thinking about what I want in my next SAK.  As a part of that research I pulled down all of the Victorinox 84mm and 91mm knife pages, and found a few things that complicated my efforts to clearly understand which knifes had which tools that offered which functions.  For example, the can opener tool seems to be described in all these ways:

• Can Opener
  • Can Opener - Bottle Opener - Screwdriver - Wire Stripper
  • Can Opener - includes small screwdriver tip
  • Can Opener - includes small-slotted screwdriver that also works with Phillips drive
  • Can Opener  includes small-slotted screw-driver that works with Phillips screws also
  • Can Opener - includes small-slotted screw-driver tip that works with Phillips also.
  • Can Opener - Screwdriver
  • Can Opener include Screwdriver tip
  • Can Opener w/small screw-driver
  • Can Opener with Screwdriver Tip
  • Can Opener with small screwdriver
  • Can Opener with small screwdriver 3 mm
  • Can Opener with small screwdriver tip
  • Can Opener/Screwdriver
  • Can Opener/Small Screwdriver Tip
  • Can Opener/small-slotted screw-driver that works with Phillips also
  • Can-Opener w/ screwdriver

What I thought might be nice is to tidy up all of the entries so that they and more consistent, and also use that new streamlined list to refresh SAK Selector with equivalent information. Using the knife-to-tool data that has been gather in the reverse direction could also build a tool-to-knife section on each tool page.  Finally, the tables of which knife has which features on the Layer N pages could possibly be updated to show all tool combinations, or similar.

Thoughts and guidance welcome.  I haven't register yet  >:D.

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #20 on: August 24, 2016, 03:31:45 AM
A big THANKS to everyone working on cleaning up the Wiki!   :cheers:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #21 on: August 25, 2016, 02:05:25 AM
Hi all
One of the reasons I signed up to MTO was to offer to do a bit of tidying on SAK Wiki, which I've found to be a fascinating read while thinking about what I want in my next SAK.  As a part of that research I pulled down all of the Victorinox 84mm and 91mm knife pages, and found a few things that complicated my efforts to clearly understand which knifes had which tools that offered which functions.  For example, the can opener tool seems to be described in all these ways:
.......... long inconsistent list !! ........ :o
What I thought might be nice is to tidy up all of the entries so that they and more consistent, and also use that new streamlined list to refresh SAK Selector with equivalent information. Using the knife-to-tool data that has been gather in the reverse direction could also build a tool-to-knife section on each tool page.  Finally, the tables of which knife has which features on the Layer N pages could possibly be updated to show all tool combinations, or similar.
Thoughts and guidance welcome.  I haven't register yet  >:D.

Hey Little Tinker (nice name BTW!!),

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the offer of help
That can opener list is amazing - And funny - I guess the result of multiple authors over a long time, and a tool with several functions
 - As you may know - for these items there is a hyperlink underneath and some display text which the author can edit
For those in the know, I guess it is pretty obvious what the tool is - But for someone unfamiliar - these sorts of inconsistencies are confusing
- It sounds like a lot of work to clean up - Is there a clever automated way to do that? or is it just grunt.
(BTW you sound even more OCD than me!!)

The tool to knife and knife to tool links would be great too.
Detron on this forum created a spreadsheet like that and as you say there is the Selector..

I am just a novice editor (as you can tell) - But maybe enki or one of the other Wiki-meisters will be along soon!!

:cheers:

Red arrow marks the spot
WIKI editor:
WYSIWYG editor:

Enki - Thanks for the piccies - I was going to ask for that
As I suspected - or hoped!!  (I did not think I was that blind or dumb) - we must have different authorisations - As no little pencil for me  :(

Here is what my editor screen looks like..
Wiki edit .JPG
* Wiki edit .JPG (Filesize: 41.21 KB)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 02:07:12 AM by Huntsman »

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: August 25, 2016, 02:33:38 AM
I'm here but I shoud be sleeping, it's past 2am here and I work in the morning. :facepalm:

The work threw the years was done by a few authors, and in spells of a few years, mostly not parallel with other authors. Red Ramage pioneered the whole thing and most of the original pages are his. Then came Stressmaster5000, then ICanFixThat and then I and basilio who did a lot for the Wenger pages. That's the ones who worked for longer periods of time, there are still many people who contributed to it, like Andy T. and many ones that were never even members of MTO.

That's why you notice as many different kinds if code as the software changed, some code no longer worked, new commands were added and everybody tried something new to battle the code. Even the code I did isn't consistent threw the years. :oops:

There is a batch edit option we did use prior to the call for help and new editors but it can't be used in all the cases. I'm not even sure where it is as those were always done by whoey. I broke the wiki once or twice so I'd rather not mess with that end of it.

I tried to fix part of it with the how to I posted some time ago to fix the main window on all the pages and make them uniform.

We could probably do a batch edit on the tools too as it only has to change out the letters after the ((tool|... to something we agree on. We just have to agree on some list and forward it to whoey.

One problem however that I see is that although most of the tool descriptions are for the same tool, just worded differently, there are still tool variations that are described in the text after the tool and that would get lost by such a batch edit. For instance the scissors on some Angler SAKs come to mind, those with the fishing led crimpers.

(Too much text for typing on the phone and in bed, sorry for the spelling)

I'll address the sakselektor question when I'm a bit more awake. ;)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 02:42:13 AM by enki_ck »

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: August 25, 2016, 02:37:10 AM
@Huntsman

Probably the reason for it. Yeah, I'm an admin there so have a few more permissions available. I'm not sure if anyone even uses the WYSIWYG editor. I'll talk to Whoey to have it disabled if he can, so as to only have the wiki editor available.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 02:38:53 AM by enki_ck »

gb Offline Little Tinker

Reply #24 on: August 26, 2016, 12:41:30 AM

Hey Little Tinker (nice name BTW!!),
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the offer of help

Thanks for the welcome.  The name has multiple meanings of course, happens to reflect parts of my character (as a friend noted "If it ain't broke we can still fix it"  :D), and my erstwhile vintage Tinker Small is one of my favourite SAKs  ;).  My first planned mod is also Tinker related  ;)...

That can opener list is amazing - And funny - I guess the result of multiple authors over a long time, and a tool with several functions
 - As you may know - for these items there is a hyperlink underneath and some display text which the author can edit
For those in the know, I guess it is pretty obvious what the tool is - But for someone unfamiliar - these sorts of inconsistencies are confusing
- It sounds like a lot of work to clean up - Is there a clever automated way to do that? or is it just grunt.
The tool to knife and knife to tool links would be great too.
Detron on this forum created a spreadsheet like that and as you say there is the Selector..

I am just a novice editor (as you can tell) - But maybe enki or one of the other Wiki-meisters will be along soon!!

:cheers:

I'm intending that a lot of the edits should be automated, otherwise my enthusiasm could be dented.  I'm not expecting that to be too hard, but we'll see...

On reflection although those various rendition of the same information got a bit in the way of me digesting all the tool layer info into Excel (because I had to flatten them out) it won't be such a practical problem once I can see the raw Wiki source, so probably best to focus on new additions than tidying up perfectly usable current info.  My current ideas are:

- Knife page (eg Tinker Small): Leave for now, except maybe rejig thinks like key-ring to be a consistent scale or layer tool.  I need to be strong on this  :P...
- Tool page (eg Phillips Screwdriver Back Tool: Provide link to knives that have the tool, with indication of how many layers that knife has to give you a sense of whether it's likely to be what you're after.
- Size / layer pages (eg Victorinox 91mm 3 layer): Expand table to have a column for each differentiating layer / back tool (probably not scale tools - too much noise)

And of course use similar info to refresh the Selector and give dynamic lookup / search as well as simple perusal of that static info.

(BTW you sound even more OCD than me!!)

You could be right   :o...

gb Offline Little Tinker

Reply #25 on: August 26, 2016, 08:36:00 AM
I registered on SAKWiki, so just need editing rights set up to start trialling some of the above.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: August 26, 2016, 08:58:34 AM
I registered on SAKWiki, so just need editing rights set up to start trialling some of the above.

Done.

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: August 26, 2016, 09:55:31 AM
To get track of my own edits:
Lately I totally revamped the Wenger Nature Series page (that I think still needs to be ironed out by someone else)
Which implied also updating the Wenger V.I.P related section.

Though most of the edits I done were to correct typo or add infos or a picture here and there like Updating Alox color-palette, Adding Huntsman 3.3713 variation (Ecoline Nylon scales), ...

Is there a page dedicated to scale materials? Or maybe the color-palette could do that too
That's the first thing we see about a SAK (even more if you don't have it in hand)
SAKwikiEdits.jpg
* SAKwikiEdits.jpg (Filesize: 115.08 KB)

gb Offline Little Tinker

Reply #28 on: August 26, 2016, 12:21:52 PM

My current ideas are:

- Tool page (eg Phillips Screwdriver Back Tool: Provide link to knives that have the tool, with indication of how many layers that knife has to give you a sense of whether it's likely to be what you're after.
- Size / layer pages (eg Victorinox 91mm 3 layer): Expand table to have a column for each differentiating layer / back tool (probably not scale tools - too much noise)

Early examples of the above can be seen at:
- Pliers tool page: I think this looks OK, but maybe a better table title than "Related Knives".  And positioning, taking into consideration that there could also be a Wenger table.

- Victorinox 91mm 3 layer: Default table magic looking too big in narrow-ish browser window, and will be worse on knives with more layers and / or when back tools are included.  Maybe break table into "Common" tools and "SpeSmurfpillst"?  I left out Scale Tools for a similar reason.  Do they warrant a table? Will start to make page big though...  Also thinking of switching "Y" to "L" or "B" to indicate Layer or Back tool location.

BTW, there a couple of gremlins where I parsed the current Wiki data and keyring is listed as a layer tool on just a couple of knives (I think of it as a scale tool), CyberTool and Champion pages have multiple tool config lists, etc.  They'l get fixed as the underlying data is nudged into shape.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 12:32:44 PM by Little Tinker »

gb Offline Little Tinker

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24