Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Brass rod re-sizing smoothness and specifics??

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
on: August 24, 2016, 01:20:57 AM
As has been mentioned in many threads, we're usually stuck putting rods in a drill and sanding down to 2.2mm

I have a micrometer and drill press ready, but I'm wondering how smooth you guys take it? Is the goal to get them like mirror-smooth so the tools rotate around the pins easily? Or does brass tarnish too quickly for this to matter?

I'm guessing the action of the tools moving in and out kind of polishes the brass anyway, but I'm about to resize for an 84mm build and just wondering which grit of sand paper you stop at.  I have up to 2000.

Also, what's the consensus on exact diameter? 2.25? I've seen photos of 2.26, very minute.

Aside from repeatedly checking in multiple spots, any tips for keeping the thickness uniform and perfectly cylindrical?  How long of a piece of rod do you use? 4 separate pieces or one long piece and then cut into pins?

Thanks
-JJL
instagram: jamesjlarue (warning, lots of cat pics along with the SAKs)

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 02:03:07 AM
I resize them down first with 200 grit sand paper... Then when I get close to the desired diameter, use the 1000 grit.

First I cut the pins into 4 equal lengths of between 4-5cm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 02:05:14 AM by jaya_man »

fr Offline Michel M.

• Custom SAK & Opinel
Re: Brass rod re-sizing smoothness and specifics??
Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 09:00:32 AM
Coton or felt discs with polishing paste are good to get a mirror polish. It avoids that brass tarnish.
Michel

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 09:11:01 AM
I'd be interested to see the results of using 2mm rod on a knife that is supposed to have 2.2mm pivots.  I've used 3mm rod and 1/8" holes in the past and that's worked just fine.

I wouldn't worry too much about the exact diameter either.  0.01 mm isn't very much at all, and you're likely to get more variation in your measuring technique than that.  Use the tool as a gauge, and stop sanding before it gets too loose.

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 09:33:11 AM
Thanks all.  :cheers:

I'm not gonna try for 2mm! But I won't worry about it too much, just wondered what to "shoot for" as ideal.

I've been using the felt polishing wheels on a Dremel motor with Dremel 421 Polishing Compound on blades/tools (watching for heat of course, lowest speed, keeping my fingers on the metal to feel temp).

This is what I use on guitar frets and it seems to work.  I was using an automotive polishing compound and hand pad, like for car finishes, on the scales, but this was actually creating more fine scratches, so after sanding I've been using the dremel for scales too.

I just need to get separate wheels so I'm not smearing metal dust into the cellidor.

What type of "polishing paste" are you guys using?

Thanks, I'm always asking, and you guys are always knowing!

I'm gonna shoot for 2.265ish mm with course paper then start working up to the 2000 and polish, hopefully end up at usable.0mm

We'll see if anything explodes.

-JJL
instagram: jamesjlarue (warning, lots of cat pics along with the SAKs)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%