Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ontario Rat 3 ?

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Ontario Rat 3 ?
on: August 24, 2016, 03:39:59 AM
Been looking at an Ontario Rat 3 as a possible addition to the collect.

Anyone have any experience with it?

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Re: Ontario Rat 3 ?
Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 04:47:32 AM
I've handled a few of the ESEE 3's. Super high quality awesomeness but honestly the 4 fit me better. I'm 6'3" and the longer blade felt better. Even though I believe the handles on the 3 and the 4 are the same.

I've had a couple ESEE's but always end up selling them. I don't use them enough to try and keep up with the rust from the humidity salt air around here.

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 06:03:04 AM
Thanks for the info. ESEEs look good in the photos, but not sure if they're worth $40 more than the Ontario Rat.   :cheers:

hr Offline styx

Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 07:54:55 AM
If one were to ask me, they aren't. But they do have a better resale value for some reason
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 03:10:18 PM
I have the ESEE 3mil and love it as far as blade to handle size (im much shorter than nklamerus) im pretty sure its almost the exact same knife as the rc3. Rat cutlery and ESSE used to make the knives together and then split but both kept pretty much the same designs, steel, etc.. (Something like that happened.. I dont pay an extreme amount of attention to the politics) I have read that the esee heat treat is better but I dont have both knives to compare edge retention. I put a convex edge on my 3 though and it has been sharp through medium duty for quite a long while with almost no touch up so if they are anywhere close the rc3 will be great as far as that goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 03:12:11 PM
Also worth adding that If you want a thicker knife of almost the same size the 4 is better. I like the thin "slicyness" (its a word now) of the 3 better personally bc i use a bigger blade for what you would normally need a thicker one for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 03:16:11 PM
I have the RC-3 from before they did the branding changes.

I never use it, though we did play with it a bit at one of the UK meets and I like to paw it from time to time. I should probably trade it for something more useful to me really!

FWIW - it's a decent knife.

I used to come here a lot.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: August 27, 2016, 03:46:32 PM
I have an RC3 as well and like it quite a lot.  First let me say the sheath even with the clip is not easily carried.  The sheath is plastic which isn't a bad thing as mine hold the knife very secure.  I just wish there was a out the box better way to carry this knife.  I know there are options out there but OTB it should be really ready to carry.

The handle is very grippy with dry or wet hands.  It is a thinner handle and feels thin in hand.  The flat grind, man what a slicer this sucker is.  I also like the finger choil which for me adds to the comfort in hand.  The coating on mine has held up well and no rust to speak of on the cutting edge.  I'm also in a drier environment plus I use frog lube on mine.   

I don't think the Esee is worth the extra cash on this particular knife over the RAT.  Its a companion knife for me even tho I've tried to make it a work knife ( sheath needs tweaking ).   I've used it camping as well and the 1095 version of mine is sharp and tough for such a thin blade.  There is a D2 version which might be worth a look.     

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 07:04:12 AM
Thanks to all for the info.   :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30