Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

OH Sentinel and similar blades

styx · 38 · 3894

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
OH Sentinel and similar blades
on: August 26, 2016, 08:29:31 AM
Has anyone done a comparison of the OH Sentinel and other knives that would fall in the same category like the Spyderco Endura and Tenacious, Benchamde Griptilian, etc.?
If someone has an OH Sentinel and other comparable blades, how would you say they stack up?
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Re: OH Sentinel and similar blades
Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 09:00:52 AM
Own a couple of sentinels and a Kershaw Cryo G10.

If one hand opening is an important factor, oh opening on sentinel is not as fast and fluid as other folders... Liner lock disengaging on OH saks (slide to right) are the opposite of most edc folders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline cali-SAK-attack

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 11:38:37 AM
Sentinel / PM2 (i have both to compare in hand - but have had all knives you mentioned, but sold them) = Completely different animal IMPO  :tu:

(my) Sentinel has no pocket clip.... so I personally would never carry it over my PM2..... Thats me though, just a different type of knife (pocket or sheath)
Sentinel does not open near as easy or smoothly as my PM2's
and as Jaya also mentioned  the liner lock difference.........

Opinions differ , it will be neat to see what others that have them in hand think.  8) :tu:

***CLICK on my pics to see actual sized photo :)

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 12:25:43 PM
I think Victorinox made a mistake when they started manufacturing OH blades. The Hunter XT, for instance, is quite unergonomic: there's always one or more "eyes" pressing into the palm of your hand. That's why I prefer the Fireman over the Hunter XT.

Also, OH blades are forbidden in many countries.

So how do they compare with Spyderco? Not very well, I suppose. If you need OH capabilities, I would advise against Victorinox.

Probably there's only one reason why Victorinox produces them: they've become a hype, and a mostly unneccesary one too. (I mean unneccesary in multitools, for tactical folders the story is different).

But hey, this is only my opinion.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 12:50:18 PM by Ronald Schröder »

hr Offline styx

Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 01:31:20 PM
well you do have a point with Vics not being something for the tactical loving crowd.

actually it dawned on me this morning that like Leatherman, Vic also have something that is knife only. makes sense that they would still be different, however one would figure they could stack up closer to your usual one hand opening EDC folder. guess i was wrong

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 01:42:02 PM
The Hunter Pro comes closest to other OH blades. But even that one I open with two hands.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 02:45:59 PM
for tactical folders the story is different.

I'm still not exactly sure what a tactical folder is?

(I know what it is as far as marketing and shops is concerned. I'm not sure what it means in terms of tactics)

I've never got along with my OHT, as a few have already said, the OH Vics are not quite "right" in their open/close motion, but I would any 2+ layer 111mm Vic over an M16 or similar knife any day of the week.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 03:04:19 PM
I always saw the OH Vics as being easy to open with gloves and not in the same class as a Spyderco. I can't flip it open like my Tenacious anyway.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline metasyntax

Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 03:31:51 PM
In my opinion, the Sentinel does not compare favorably to any reputable dedicated knife. Versus the Endura and Tenacious, both of those blow it out of the water. I don't have a Griptillian, but I'm 100% certain the outcome is the same. The only halfway fair comparison would be against something in the same price bracket, around $25 USD. So for this price, you can get an Ontario RAT model 1 or model 2. You can also get a KABAR Dozier Folding Hunter, or a Buck BuckLite Max. All of these are excellent: well-built, decent steel, hard-working knives. The RAT has good action and ergonomics. In contrast, the Sentinel has lots of vertical blade play, poor action, and a backwards liner lock. A clip costs extra, and the steel is not particularly well known for its edge retention. There are LOTS of other knives in the $25 range that I don't have, so I don't know for sure how good they all are, but Kershaw makes a ton. I'm tempted to go buy a Byrd Cara Cara 2 just to see how good it is, it's listed at $21 on Amazon right now. I love Victorinox, but they don't make a great knife — they make a great tool. The knife is passable and good enough for a lot of things, but what really makes a SAK a stellar tool is the fact that it has a lot of other functionality right there, too. If you're going to carry just a cutting implement, you can do a whole lot better than a Sentinel on the same budget.
May it be as the Pattern has chosen.

Offline wensynch

• New User
Reply #9 on: August 29, 2016, 09:35:13 PM
Stack up how?

As said, the Sentinel doesnt hold a candle in speed of opening. Okay, it doesnt flick, its not slow though. The trick is to close it using your index finger instead of thumb like a conventional linerlock, as its mechanism goes the other way. So, the lock is positioned between thumb and index; use the index finger to push the other way, opposite direction to thumb. Doesnt make it more flickable, but makes closing a nonissue. Also,better at preventing accidental slip openings; the mechanism is backwards. Really neat desigj if you look at how the bar end inserts into the tang.. like a clock.

Itll hang with the rest in every other aspect to cutting. Ultralight (maybe the lightest per size ratio), very strong for blade thickness, tried and true drop spear point head, good at slicing, easy to guide.

OH Trekker & siblings can do more.. tactically speaking. I mean a knife can cut, tactically speaking. Trekker can screw stuff and pop open bottles.

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #10 on: August 29, 2016, 10:06:23 PM
The problem with these knives is in the lightweight pinned construction vs the real beefy pivots and screws found on the other knives you mentioned.
They really are small and weak in comparison.

As a basic one hand opening folder they work well enough for light duty.
I have one 111m that locks up tight, the others all have a lot of up and down movement in the liner locks.
But compared to say an Opinel or an Okapi they are on par.  (cheap small pins)

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #11 on: August 29, 2016, 10:13:41 PM
Was the Soldier the first one-hand Vic knife? Because I believe it was designed with the military in mind, which would make it the definition of tactical.
Also, their blades are not designed to be closed with one hand. They did that on purpose so you don't cut yourself. These are the facts  :D

hr Offline styx

Reply #12 on: August 29, 2016, 10:14:36 PM
interesting. thanks gents

us Offline TonySal

• join The American Legion Family - since 1919
Reply #13 on: September 03, 2018, 02:21:43 AM
Maybe it's between OHO and not really tactical, just a larger SAK you can open with one hand..... :think:
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline TonySal

• join The American Legion Family - since 1919
Reply #14 on: September 03, 2018, 02:33:16 AM
I mean, I have a blacked out one from Europe lookin kinda of bad but its just a Sentinel....  :think:
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: September 03, 2018, 03:30:54 AM
I have the OH Trekker and have no problem opening it. I can also close it with one hand and another object, but yes it is a whole lot safer using two hands.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #16 on: September 03, 2018, 03:36:58 AM
I have the OH Trekker and have no problem opening it. I can also close it with one hand and another object, but yes it is a whole lot safer using two hands.

Once I figured out that I needed to push the liner with my index finger instead of my thumb, I've had no problem closing my sentinel or OHTs one handed.

Due to the back spring, it's definitely not as smooth to open or close as many locking folders, but everything has pluses and minuses.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: September 03, 2018, 03:42:11 AM
 :iagree: I am very happy with mine!

au Offline Grass

• First, we take Manhattan
Reply #18 on: September 03, 2018, 06:06:21 AM
I'm a fan. The opening and closing I find fine, though admittedly I cheat like another poster here and close it by using one hand on the lock and bumping the blade (hardly the safest path but always works). I far prefer the liner lock; feels far more confident in operation. A lot of the options mentioned here are illegal to even own in Australia :-/ and even the are near the edge; will be devastated if they ban these as well. My usual edc is a one hand non serrated trekker.

I'm still keen on a non serrated one handed blade on a centurion... it would be my ultimate minimalist 111mm :)

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #19 on: September 03, 2018, 03:04:37 PM
I'm a fan. The opening and closing I find fine, though admittedly I cheat like another poster here and close it by using one hand on the lock and bumping the blade (hardly the safest path but always works). I far prefer the liner lock; feels far more confident in operation. A lot of the options mentioned here are illegal to even own in Australia :-/ and even the are near the edge; will be devastated if they ban these as well. My usual edc is a one hand non serrated trekker.

I'm still keen on a non serrated one handed blade on a centurion... it would be my ultimate minimalist 111mm :)

Just curious, if some of the other blades are illegal, how is the OHT legal?
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: September 03, 2018, 05:27:43 PM
I've owned and used many different knife's over the years. SOG, Cold Steel, Spyderco,Katzz ect. All of them had things I liked and I things I didn't like. These days almost all I carry is a Trekker or 08 Soldier. Yes the OHO and closing is slower then most knife's I've owned and used but I've never been unhappy with how Vic dose it they just do it differently. The pin design on Vic is plenty strong for my needs. of course I'm not sticking it in a tree and standing on it either.

For me one of the biggest attractions is the 70 30 serrated desine. This is the for me the most useful blade design I've ever used. To the best of my knowledge Vic is the only one to use this design.

So how does it compare to the other knife's on the market? That depends on your needs. For me the blade design out weighs any minor deficiency the Vic may have.

IMG_20180903_082545.jpg
* IMG_20180903_082545.jpg (Filesize: 199.85 KB)
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #21 on: September 03, 2018, 05:34:38 PM
I've owned and used many different knife's over the years. SOG, Cold Steel, Spyderco,Katzz ect. All of them had things I liked and I things I didn't like. These days almost all I carry is a Trekker or 08 Soldier. Yes the OHO and closing is slower then most knife's I've owned and used but I've never been unhappy with how Vic dose it they just do it differently. The pin design on Vic is plenty strong for my needs. of course I'm not sticking it in a tree and standing on it either.

For me one of the biggest attractions is the 70 30 serrated desine. This is the for me the most useful blade design I've ever used. To the best of my knowledge Vic is the only one to use this design.

So how does it compare to the other knife's on the market? That depends on your needs. For me the blade design out weighs any minor deficiency the Vic may have.

Good points :tu:

I also like that the vic knives are probably the most people friendly one hand opening and locking blades I've come across.

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: September 03, 2018, 05:55:09 PM

Good points :tu:

I also like that the vic knives are probably the most people friendly one hand opening and locking blades I've come across.

The 111mm Vic serrated blade is the easiest serrated blade I've ever sharpened. Give me a work sharp and Luke Skywalker wishes his Lightsaber was as sharp as my Trekker. It's one of the most user friendly blabee I've ever owned.

IMG_20180903_085128.jpg
* IMG_20180903_085128.jpg (Filesize: 174.23 KB)
IMG_20180903_085151.jpg
* IMG_20180903_085151.jpg (Filesize: 160.02 KB)
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

hr Offline styx

Reply #23 on: September 03, 2018, 09:33:35 PM
 :rant: :rant: :rant: why are worksharp's so expensive in europe  :rant: :rant: :rant:

nice edge

au Offline Grass

• First, we take Manhattan
Reply #24 on: September 03, 2018, 11:21:55 PM

Checked up; looks like matters have got even more confusing here in Queensland! Previously it was OK if the one handed opening was NOT be gravity, a button etc, ruling out flick knives etc but not the one handed saks. I think it's still that way but the wording sure means people could argue either way :/

I'll attach.

Edit: More detail https://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/weaponsLicensing/fees/Documents/Category-M-Bladed-Weapons.pdf
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 11:25:54 PM by Grass »

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #25 on: September 03, 2018, 11:35:07 PM

Checked up; looks like matters have got even more confusing here in Queensland! Previously it was OK if the one handed opening was NOT be gravity, a button etc, ruling out flick knives etc but not the one handed saks. I think it's still that way but the wording sure means people could argue either way :/

I'll attach.

Edit: More detail https://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/weaponsLicensing/fees/Documents/Category-M-Bladed-Weapons.pdf

Ahh, I see. I was struggling to think of how they would be different in the eyes of the law, but the ability to flick makes sense 

Offline Ozansefer

• New User
Reply #26 on: February 19, 2019, 11:20:54 AM
Hi I am a sentinel guy  :like:   Before I had it I watch all videos about spyderco tenancious endura, raven 2 , ontario rat, cold steel ones, benchmades bla bla many videos. But couldnt find the real secure feel to the lock mechanism. I firstly and carrefuly look at locks. Some locking types like cold steel tri lock I like on recon but its too expensive. I only didnt see a lock fail on victorinox. Sentinel has little up and down play very little and its bec of design. İf you want no play; liner and back of the blade design must me like ontario rats or spyderco tenancious. And back of the blade has an angle. Hard strikes can push the lock and can hurt you. But on sentinel design liner suppurts the opposite side and goes 100 persent of the blades back. And its not so tight becouse if so tight when you oppening all time liner and back contacts and a time while liner will wear and it will play and un reliable. You can use victorinox sentinel very long time. İf safety is first go to sentinel victorinox not kershaw not spyderco not gerber not benchmade or a fixed blade.  :climber:

il Offline israelpiper

Reply #27 on: February 19, 2019, 12:28:39 PM
I own two Sentinels, one-hand opening, partially serrated, with clip. No blade play--and I do NOT count a design feature that allows a slight forward movement of the blade to click against the liner lock as "blade play."  Blade play to me is a design flaw that affects performance, or a pivot that needs adjustment. Nothing in that tiny bit of movement on the Victorinox 111mm knives affects performance. NONE of them are tactical (the Swiss soldiers receive the Soldier Knife purely as a utility knife. Special forces receive combat knives.). All I can say is that after several years I find the Sentinel an outstanding lightweight general utility blade. I agree that the Victorinox serrations are NOT hard to sharpen, and that the straight blade closer to the handle makes a lot of sense. Push cuts!

The cardboard box cutting I see so much on American knife videos confuses me. We internet shop more than any other country, but all there is to cut on parcels is usually a small bit of cello tape, or the top of a large bubble-pack envelope. I have worked in factories and packing departments, but we used heavy dedicated box-cutters--never pocket knives. At home, fine, but on the job?

My preference is for no opening hole, and no clip. Never use clips. But I have found that the one-handed opening blade is stronger, with more metal at the handle end.

So I defend the Sentinel as a purely civilian, general light duty utility blade. No pretense as a weapon, as a survival knife, self-defense on the streets, or dedicated box cutter.

Frankly, I love the light weight toss in the pocket aspect. Some of my traditional slip-joints that are smaller are same weight or heavier. With the Sentinel, I get a big blade with a good-sized handle.

Price? I concede best to find a bargain, a sale. But Victorinox customer service and warranty is so good that paying a little bit extra is ok. We have a Vic warranty centre here in Israel (and Leatherman), but most other knife/multitool firms--forget it. Big hassle, or, they tell you that they don't include the same warranty service to us Asians. 

Sentinel functions excellently for the light general utility purpose for which it was designed. Don't need an SAS tactical blade to cut tags or peel fruit. 

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: February 19, 2019, 05:31:25 PM
To me, the real value of SAKs is the ability to carry a number of highly functional tools (in addition to a knife blade) in a compact package.  If this is what one is looking for, then SAKs are second to none, and this is the reason you'll find a SAK in my pocket every day.

If one is looking purely for a OHO single blade knife, I believe there are better options out there, including some knives by Spyderco, Benchmade, SOG, etc.

il Offline israelpiper

Reply #29 on: February 19, 2019, 06:34:13 PM
To me, the real value of SAKs is the ability to carry a number of highly functional tools (in addition to a knife blade) in a compact package.  If this is what one is looking for, then SAKs are second to none, and this is the reason you'll find a SAK in my pocket every day.

If one is looking purely for a OHO single blade knife, I believe there are better options out there, including some knives by Spyderco, Benchmade, SOG, etc.

SAKs are not just traditional anymore. Many do not carry toothpicks and bottle openers or nail files. They go up to 130mm. If a one-blade knife is not desired, there are many other options.

I cannot speak for America, but the cheapest Spyderco or Benchmade or SOG in much of the world is two to three or four times the price of a simple 111mm Victorinox Sentinel. And many do not honour any warranties in a meaningful way in much of the world. On price, there are "cooler" knives than Victorinox. Certainly. And lots of fine old fashioned slip joints that will compete well.  Where I live pulling out a pseudo-tactical folder, or even a genuine tactical folder, is just not acceptable. A Tavor assault rifle over the shoulder on a bus or in the supermarket, no problem. But flicking a blade open that looks like a weapon--no. That little Vic Swiss emblem defuses the issue.

As said, if you have all those great knives at a similar price to the Sentinel, then go for the best deal. I doubt they give better actual useage. My oldest Victorinox is 50 years old.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 06:35:14 PM by israelpiper »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD