Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Does magnetism affect flashlights?

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Does magnetism affect flashlights?
on: September 05, 2016, 09:01:39 AM
I am thinking of replacing my Vic Signature with a Manager, to get the small Phillips driver.
The thing is, the driver is magnetized, and I have a NiteCore Tube on my keys.
Is the flashlight in danger given its proximity to the magnetized driver?

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: Does magnetism affect flashlights?
Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 09:07:24 AM
Very unlikely

A very strong magnetic field could affect some electronics but the driver is only slightly magnetized and it is very unlikely that it would affect the light.

I have carried a manager with a keychain light for many years, without any problem
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 09:17:02 AM
There's also the Midnight Manager where Victorinox themselves think it's safe to add a light as well as the @work with a USB stick, I would think that would be more sensitive.

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 09:24:38 AM
I carry an olight s1 baton and it has a decent sized full on magnet on the back end of it. It really comes in handy to be able to attach to something while you are trying to work with two hands. I don't even think it's shielded, but I could be wrong on that.

image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 152.41 KB)
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 09:41:51 AM
Also worth mentioning is the fact the driver is a very weak static magnetic field. A variable field would have larger potential for problems. I really don't think there is any cause for concern.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 11:31:19 AM
My Sunwayman has a very powerful magnet on the bottom, and I've carried it right next to my small Led Lenser P3, as well as my Nitecore Tube, without any problem.

Also, I happened to carry 10 Neodymium magnets in my keychain during two years, and none of my keychain lights (CooYoo Quantum as of late, and DQG Fairy for a long time) suffered any perceivable damage/disfunctionality from it.
Just my experience   :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

ca Offline jcs0001

Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 04:22:07 PM
Another reason to not be concerned.  In some cases people use magnets on electrical wire to attach to either end of lithium batteries for charging purposes.  Also I've heard of people using small magnets on the ends of batteries to extend their reach within flashlights.

I doubt you have anything to worry about.  May wish to keep the magnets away from credit cards and watches - I've never had a problem with this but have heard it can effect them unfavourably.

John.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 08:09:18 PM
I've got a couple 4/7s lights that have magnets and no issues.  I've also used a neodymium magnet to hold a light in place while I was working also no issues, the light was my Thrunite T10. 
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD