Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which light?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Which light?
on: September 19, 2016, 04:43:39 AM
OK all you flashaholics my Lux-Pro is on it's last leg and I need a replacement light :D

I want a single AA or AAA light that has either a deep carry pocket clip or a split ring for a pocket dangler :tu:

I would love it to be a clicky with a very good throw of light over 100 lumens and hopefully under $20 US :cheers:

Am I asking for too much or is this reasonable :think:

Links and/or pics would be great as well :tu: Also pros and cons of suggested lights as well

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Which light?
Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 05:33:54 AM
I use 2 AAA lights for edc... A Thrunite Ti3 and a Lumintop Tool AAA. The former a twisty and is deep carry and the latter a clicky that is not deep carry... Both are capable of over 100 lumens

Am not an expert at this, but probably these might help:

http://www.besttacticalflashlights.net/best-aa-flashlight/

http://www.besttacticalflashlights.net/best-aaa-flashlight/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 08:37:31 AM
I am thinking Tank007 E10, though I do not think the carry position will be really deep.

Have a look here http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,35523.msg829922.html#msg829922      for pictures

The whole thread may give you some ideas for lower cost options.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 03:53:03 PM
Thanks for the links guys :salute:

I am digging the Tank so far dks :drool: :like:

We will see what I end up with :D SO many options though :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 08:26:48 PM
Well until I make up  my mind on some of these or another light I bought a Maglite LED Solitaire to fill the gap :D Impulse buy type thing and I use to have a reg one when I was a kid so I am familiar with it and it so far today has been very pocketable with my suspension clip on it :cheers:

Still want a brighter/better light but this will help me make a more clear decision as I am not rushed to get one now :tu:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 04:13:48 PM
Well look at that, you already have a thread going on.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 05:07:52 PM
For a light that punches well above it's price (even though it seems to have gone up) I'd have a look at the Hugsby XP-1.  Single mode AAA light with XP-E emitter and deep reflector for good throw (for a small light).  Puts out something around the 100 lumen you are looking for.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 05:09:40 PM by Gareth »
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 07:47:35 PM
Well look at that, you already have a thread going on.

Yes I do :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 07:47:57 PM
For a light that punches well above it's price (even though it seems to have gone up) I'd have a look at the Hugsby XP-1.  Single mode AAA light with XP-E emitter and deep reflector for good throw (for a small light).  Puts out something around the 100 lumen you are looking for.

Shall check that one out :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 10:10:27 AM
Fenix E12 might be an interesting option. It has a TIR optic so it's a thrower, actually it projects a disc of light. Not a long runtime at 130Lm, though, but people really rate it. It takes 1xAA cell.

http://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-e12-led-flashlight/

I was considering one for myself/the wife/the house. I opted for the Fenix E20 (2015 edition) instead. This one is a 2xAA light. Definitely a thrower, more like a mini spotlight :D I doubt there is much need to go higher than its 30Lm mode (it has 4 in total, 30Lm is Med).

http://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-e20-2015-led-flashlight-no-shake/

Neither one is under $20 but both are well worth the money IMO.

You are not telling us what the light's intended use is. It might help to know. Also, is throw the main concern, flood not needed?

Pros and cons... I'm far from an enlightened flashaholic so I'll just list my thoughts.

Pros:

AA size is the best compromise between size, availability and energy stored. Pretty decent runtimes with LEDs these days, both in AA and 2xAA format, the latter being brighter usually. Disposable lithium AAs are a very interesting option for infrequent use or storage.

Cons:

If you want a barn burner you need to go to CR123 or rechargeable lithium cells. Not my preference because I don't need such a light and I don't use mine often.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 10:20:45 AM by firiki »
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: September 24, 2016, 04:56:16 AM
Thanks for those suggestions firiki :cheers: Yes AA or AAA is all I need if I am gonna go brighter for home use I have a few D cell battery lights and a variety of bigger lights as well as a 60 Day Lantern :cheers:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: September 24, 2016, 03:10:07 PM
If you can stretch you budget just a couple of bucks I really don't think you can do much better than the Thrunite T10.  Bright, compact, versatile, good run times, can be had with Neutral White LED, deep pocket clip....http://www.thrunite.com/thrunite-t10-xp-l-252-lumen-flashlight/

I don't own one but I have had a play a couple of times and have always been impressed.  If I didn't already own my Eagletac D25A Clicky I'd have bought one years ago.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 03:13:19 PM by Gareth »
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: September 26, 2016, 08:18:29 PM
If you can stretch you budget just a couple of bucks I really don't think you can do much better than the Thrunite T10.  Bright, compact, versatile, good run times, can be had with Neutral White LED, deep pocket clip....http://www.thrunite.com/thrunite-t10-xp-l-252-lumen-flashlight/

I don't own one but I have had a play a couple of times and have always been impressed.  If I didn't already own my Eagletac D25A Clicky I'd have bought one years ago.

I will put that on my list as well :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

:like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44