Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which Wrench for Powerplier

us Offline SteelRaven

• Steel is a mystical thing!!
Which Wrench for Powerplier
on: September 22, 2016, 02:22:45 PM
I have a first generation all stainless SOG POWERPLIER. My favorite MT and gets used like everything . My wife adores the big lugg too!

But I've got a few fasteners wiggling loose that hold the monster together, and it's those flat like eight sided jokers that hold the plier head on!

I know...locktite blue.

But I can't get my big old fingers ahold on it well enough to tighten them solidly.

SOG used to make a wrench but alas...

Thanks...Raven.
"As a matter of Survival, all creatures are fair game"

Les Stroud.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Re: Which Wrench for Powerplier
Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 03:20:43 PM
Octagonal? I haven't seen those but I imagine it could be done with an adjustable wrench (or rather two, one to hold and one to turn).

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 06:05:18 PM
Not sure i've ever seen an octagonal fastener on the PowerPlier before. Are you sure they arent hexagonal? Those should be 1/4"
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline SteelRaven

Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 08:21:44 PM
Not sure i've ever seen an octagonal fastener on the PowerPlier before. Are you sure they arent hexagonal? Those should be 1/4"
They may well indeed be hexagonal....forgive these old eyes, folks!

The one SOG made was very small and flat, but I figure it'll take 2 as well!

Thank you all for the quick replies!

Les Stroud.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 11:00:24 PM
They are hexagonal in both of my PP...

and my newest one has a rattly head, it just dances and rattles around like a Gerber MP600/400 and makes me so nervous

Action has become grittier and slower, now I can barely open it one handed. It's getting worse, after lubing and cleaning no improvements are perceived...  ???
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline SteelRaven

Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 12:31:51 AM
Yep, that's it. I use EEZOX  to lube my PL, since the tolerances were a bit looser and smoother than in my Surge.

EEZOX is a phenomenal rust preventer, decent (not the best, IMHO) lube and a good cleaner...but ya gotta marry the stuff to get it to work really well.

I'm thinking of switching to Tuff glide...it is more expensive, but ice on ice slick. Makes me wonder if I use it on the SOGS, I'll be busting my knuckles up like flippin "nun chucks" (intentional misspelling.) opening the damn thing one handed!

Les Stroud.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69