Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which Victorinox knives got the updated lite?

gb Offline Little Tinker

Which Victorinox knives got the updated lite?
on: September 23, 2016, 06:14:34 PM
My new CyberTool Lite seems to have a bright LED, but I have no older allegedly dimmer ones to compare it with.  It also has the newer "clipless" design, further making me think it is an updated, bright module.

Reading suggests that the Mountaineer Lite never got made the update, so even a new one will be dim.

Have Spartan and Huntsman Lite models with the update been seen?

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Re: Which Victorinox knives got the updated lite?
Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 06:16:21 PM
My Spartan Lite has the newer LED (I think - like you I have nothing to compare it to).

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 06:46:29 PM
Yes the Spartan Lite definitely has the brighter light.  My old thread which you've no doubt seen was comparing a Spartan Lite to a Mountaineer.  I have no experience of the Huntsman Lite, but my hunch would be also yes, since it's a widely available model that's still in recent catalogues, whereas the mountaineer lite was dropped a couple of years ago.

dk Offline T14

• Embrace the SAK
Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 07:58:42 PM
It should be fairly straightforward to update a dim module to better components with a bit of basic electronics tinkering.
If anyone comes across a lite knife with a uselessly dim module then please sell it on to me. I'll be happy to design new innards and share the circuit layout and component list with the community.  :cheers:
-Tom

Edit. One could also design something stupidly bright. But the battery wont last very long :D
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 08:01:43 PM by T14 »
All I know is that I don't know anything - but I can't prove it!

gb Offline Little Tinker

Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 08:26:18 PM
I ordered a Mountaineer Lite to see what had changed  ::).  Turns out it is just the batteries  :P.  As delivered the Mountaineer is noticeably dimmer than the Cybertool, but simply switching the batteries reverses this  :-\.  The button cells are actually same code, manufacturer and 3V spec, but must have different chemistry or something inside  ???.  To me this is a bit of a shame since I was looking forwards to experimenting with different LEDs in the housing  :D.

And the Mountaineer has the older housing of course, with "hook" into back spring (which is therefore also a bit different).
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 08:28:07 PM by Little Tinker »

gb Offline Little Tinker

Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 11:38:47 PM
So it seems Vic have improved the LED some time between then and now.  This might explain why some people have found the LED useless and some found it OK.

Here are some comparison pictures, with a Fenix E01 (Nichia 5mm LED, single AAA, rated at 13 lumens) for reference.  I used the same set of batteries in both Victorinoxes

Hmmm.  I wonder if I got things wrong in my test then...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 11:40:37 PM by Little Tinker »

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 01:07:16 AM
As delivered the Mountaineer is noticeably dimmer than the Cybertool, but simply switching the batteries reverses this 
This is interesting. I like my Mountaineer Lite a lot, but I tend to ignore the Lite part of it because it's so super-dim.
I bought mine "new" though obviously several years have passed since it left the factory. Fresh batteries! Why didn't I think of that!
It's a great SAK with a perfect set of tools - sadly overpriced, now discontinued, and generally under-appreciated.

gb Offline Little Tinker

Reply #7 on: October 01, 2016, 02:26:26 AM
I bought mine "new" though obviously several years have passed since it left the factory.

Same here.  Just arrived in box from SwissTool.  Couple of things I noticed that were odd / out of date (and now see in other threads):
- Older mini-screwdriver in corkscrew with "smooth" round handle;
- Has the Huntsman Lite guide in, as if the Mountaineer Lite wasn't worth fully investing in.

Sadly overpriced...

I noticed that  ::).  Looks like it has been more sensibly priced in the past, but not now...

...now discontinued...

Yes, but happened to have what I needed toolwise so was delighted when I spotted it.

...and generally under-appreciated.

I'd broadly agree as it is a nice set of tools.  However, I have to confess I bought this to turn into a Huntsman Lite to give to someone else while leaving me with a file for a mod project  ;).

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 01, 2016, 08:09:21 AM
I bought this to turn into a Huntsman Lite to give to someone else while leaving me with a file for a mod project  ;).
Wow! That's that's got to be the most expensive way of getting a metal file!

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #9 on: October 01, 2016, 02:53:12 PM
I ordered a Mountaineer Lite to see what had changed  ::).  Turns out it is just the batteries  :P.  As delivered the Mountaineer is noticeably dimmer than the Cybertool, but simply switching the batteries reverses this  :-\.  The button cells are actually same code, manufacturer and 3V spec, but must have different chemistry or something inside  ???.  To me this is a bit of a shame since I was looking forwards to experimenting with different LEDs in the housing  :D.

And the Mountaineer has the older housing of course, with "hook" into back spring (which is therefore also a bit different).

My Mountaineer Lite had tired batteries too, as you might expect if it has been on the shelf for around 6 years.  Switching them for new ones made it noticeably brighter, but still really poor compared to a newer Spartan Lite.  Are you able to date your Mountaineer Lite?  Maybe there are some newer ones around.  Mine had the eyeglass screwdriver with no "Pat." but still with the round handle, which was only used for about a year around 2009 I believe.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 02:54:31 PM by shibafu »

gb Offline Little Tinker

Reply #10 on: October 01, 2016, 08:18:41 PM
Wow! That's that's got to be the most expensive way of getting a metal file!

Well I get a Huntsman Lite and metal file out of it :).  Buying a Huntsman Lite then anything with a file wouldn't have been any cheaper.

gb Offline Little Tinker

Reply #11 on: October 01, 2016, 08:21:01 PM
My Mountaineer Lite had tired batteries too, as you might expect if it has been on the shelf for around 6 years.  Switching them for new ones made it noticeably brighter, but still really poor compared to a newer Spartan Lite.  Are you able to date your Mountaineer Lite?  Maybe there are some newer ones around.  Mine had the eyeglass screwdriver with no "Pat." but still with the round handle, which was only used for about a year around 2009 I believe.

Mine's same as yours, so I've still seen nothing to suggest a later batch was made.  I don't have a Spartan Lite to compare with, so can only compare Lites on Huntsman and CyberTool.  I was assuming modern CyberTool had same Lite as Spartan, with no hook into the backspring.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 08:22:09 PM by Little Tinker »

gb Offline Little Tinker

Reply #12 on: October 02, 2016, 09:56:15 PM
Here's couple of pictures that might be helpful to people wondering about the Lite module construction, showing:

• Housing variant on older (blue) Mountaineer Lite with hook, versus (presumably) more recent CyberTool Lite;
  • Internal construction of module on CyberTool Lite.
  • Both units have notionally same Renata CR1225 button cells.  Light variation potentially due to age of cells in Mountaineer.
Lite Module Variants Open.jpg
* Lite Module Variants Open.jpg (Filesize: 76.33 KB)
Teardown Lite Module.jpg
* Teardown Lite Module.jpg (Filesize: 40.21 KB)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 09:57:59 PM by Little Tinker »

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #13 on: October 03, 2016, 08:24:37 AM
So happens that I just got these for my collection...got it all in used condition for the equivalent price of a new Spartan Lite. I think they are all LEDs...

The Huntsman Lite was initially dimmer compared to the Sandvik Spartan Lite (Rostfrei on tang stamp). But after changing the batteries for a fresh pair, its soo much brighter now.

The Lite on the left will be a donor for a Yeoman Lite mod I'm planning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD