Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Suggestions for a high CRI, single AAA light?

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Suggestions for a high CRI, single AAA light?
on: September 28, 2016, 02:00:34 PM
So basically what it says in the subject: Do any of you have a high CRI, single AAA flashlight you would like to recommend? I have found a few in reviews, but I wondered whether you guys had any relevant experiences. (I could come up with a list of specific requirements, but then I am perfectly capable of checking the common subset of what has garnered good reviews and what is actually available to me, and then make a rational decision. That's no fun, and I'm far more interested in a discussion.  It's not like there's that many different lights to choose from given the two variables I stated anyway. :D )

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Re: Suggestions for a high CRI, single AAA light?
Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 02:46:24 PM
 :nothingtoadd:
(so this thread gets in my "replies" and I get updates)
Meet me also on youtube & instagram for mostly knives (and multitools) content

us Offline JasonJ

Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 08:19:52 PM
The BLF-348 would have been my one and only recommendation.... it was a custom light modeled after the SingFire SF-348 sold by GB.  It had/has a Nichia 219 emitter, CRI of about 93+, single AAA of course.  We did three runs of them, thousands of lights made, all sold.  They may come back in stock, or another Nichia equipped version of the SF-348 might pop up. 

You could always see if someone on Budget Light Forum will sell you one.

us Offline NAB

• Swiss Army Hedge Knight
Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 09:27:41 PM
http://www.darksucks.com/store_BetaQR.html

I have the brass one and love it. It is not a barn burner, but I have other lights for that.
Sent from Galactica (BS-75)

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 10:35:04 AM
I'm quite interested in this topic though I've nothing to contribute thus far except a question:

From what I understand (and I may well be wrong) high CRI is often perceived as less bright. If this is the case wouldn't a AA power source be preferable to provide longer runtimes of higher output when necessary?
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 03:05:06 PM
Sure, and a 14500 would be even better. ;) Of course it's a compromise, but there are some offerings which looks quite nice on paper. L3 Illumination 08, for instance, rated at 90 lm for 90 minutes. I think that's pretty decent for a single AAA flashlight, hi CRI or not.

Edit: I did a quick look at reviews for L3, and ironically, that's a light where the AAA version is so close to the AA version in size, most people don't get why anybody gets the AAA version. Ah, well, that's life when not checking your examples. :D
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 03:11:29 PM by Steinar »

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 03:29:26 PM
....rated at 90 lm for 90 minutes.

Something else to watch out for is that the official ANSI FL-1 standard for rating flashlight is quite "slippery" (and IMO deliberately misleading).  If you delve more deeply and look at tested output/runtime graphs it is very frequently the case that a light only puts out the rated lumens for 3-5  minutes, and drops off steadily for the rest of the "rated" time, with the rated time only finishing when output drops to only 10% of the initial level.So if you really do need 90 lumens you will NOT get it for anywhere near the rated 90 minutes.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 03:45:30 PM
I don't even know whether the L3's rating is a proper ANSI test or just a marketing claim based on the LED and nominal output from some battery, but if you are interested in reading more about that specific light, the guys over at CandlePowerForums have done a very nice review: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?383111-L3-Illumination-L08-(XP-G2-R5-or-Nichia-219-1xAAA)-Review-RUNTIMES-BEAMS-VIDEO

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 03:48:18 PM
Seems the Nichia 219 is a recurring theme in these lights. All the three lights mentioned is based on it. (Thanks NAB and JasonJ!)

Offline Dustin King

Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 05:52:10 PM
I have been a big fan of the Lumintop TOOL, I love the tint on mine with the nichia 219 in titanium.  It has an electronic tail switch, which makes it a very compact clicky. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%