Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Help ID older SAK!

JasonJ · 15 · 1174

us Offline JasonJ

Help ID older SAK!
on: September 29, 2016, 10:18:02 PM
I inherited this SAK from my late father... I am fairly certain he purchased it new (I know he bought it new) sometime between 1968 when he enlisted in the Marines and went to 'Nam, and 1982 when I was born... lol.  I just don't know when or what. 

I THINK it is a Pioneer, based on all the posts here, and wiki's, etc.  He must have done some prying and snapped the tip of the blade off (any ideas on how best to regrind the blade?).  It's red ALOX, obviously, pictures inserted below.  It's dirty, a little stiff, but otherwise in good shape.  It has brass spacers/washer in both ends.

Any help on identifying the exact model and a date/year range of manufacture would be awesome! 

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Help ID older SAK!
Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 10:24:29 PM
Nice one JJ !    :tu:

Yes, it's a old cross Pioneer, Give it a bath is hot soapy dishwater and work the tools open and closed to get all the gunk out. Dry it out and oil the pivots and the snap should come back nicely to the tools and blade. I would slowly re profile the tip with a whetstone and call it good.   :cheers:

us Offline JasonJ

Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 10:28:48 PM
Thanks Steve!  Do you think I should grind the top of the blade, make it more of a drop point, or grind the front of the belly to bring the edge up to the new tip?

Any ideas on a year range for dating it?

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 10:54:18 PM
Have the same knife (tang stamp might be different, have to check). But same grip pattern, same old cross, brass liners. It's a cool one.

I'd probably grind the top edge down slightly to meet the new, upward-ground bottom edge, and then try to really polish the top nicely so it looks like nothing was done to it. But there are so many different shapes of blades it's kinda up to personal taste.

Cool SAK tho. I bought mine in a 3 knife lot and was planning to sell it but decided to keep it.
-JJL
instagram: jamesjlarue (warning, lots of cat pics along with the SAKs)

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 11:40:20 PM
I think I would leave the top and grind it from the bottom. I usually use a fine tip sharpie and draw the lines out to see how it will look before I reprofile. The small v on the victorinox stamping places it 1975-85 unless it has an Elinox stamp on the opposite side then it's older.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 01:22:11 AM
When repro filing the tip don't take it all off the bottom in this case. You'll need to take some of the top as well or the sharp tip will be too high and exposed. It will catch on your pocket and things and can cut you... ask me how I know 😊

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 01:24:10 AM
Good advise there ^^^^   :tu:

I hadn't thought of that  :facepalm:

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 09:07:15 AM
Three OC Pioneers. One original profile blade and a couple of "repaired" blades, neither reprofiled by myself.
The middle blade is the one I mentioned with the tip being too high. If it was a regular carry knife I would take a little off the blade's spine but it lives in my display case so it can stay as is. the semi-sheepfoot (top) is quite a good profile but I prefer to stay with a spear point if at all possible.

On a side note... the Elinox tang stamp is on the front side of the blade,  the VSSR stamp is on the reverse for Elinox knives.

us Offline TonySal

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • join The American Legion Family - since 1919
Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 04:06:21 PM
Three OC Pioneers. One original profile blade and a couple of "repaired" blades, neither reprofiled by myself.
The middle blade is the one I mentioned with the tip being too high. If it was a regular carry knife I would take a little off the blade's spine but it lives in my display case so it can stay as is. the semi-sheepfoot (top) is quite a good profile but I prefer to stay with a spear point if at all possible.

(Image removed from quote.)

On a side note... the Elinox tang stamp is on the front side of the blade,  the VSSR stamp is on the reverse for Elinox knives.
Can anyone give a try for the real old one in my avi please- sorry for the crudy pic...
join KNIFE RIGHTS

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 10:57:59 PM

Can anyone give a try for the real old one in my avi please- sorry for the crudy pic...

Victorinox Gourmet I'd say, pre 1973: http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Gourmet
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 10:59:47 PM by Corwyn »
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline TonySal

Reply #10 on: October 01, 2016, 12:12:40 AM

Victorinox Gourmet I'd say, pre 1973: http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Gourmet
Thanks Gourmet buddy- but it was that old @50 years ago when I was a kid.  Def pre 73!  It has an awl on the outside and a little bale thats hard to see here.  :)
join KNIFE RIGHTS

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: October 01, 2016, 12:17:21 AM

Thanks Gourmet buddy- but it was that old @50 years ago when I was a kid.  Def pre 73!  It has an awl on the outside and a little bale thats hard to see here.  :)

How about some better pics.   :tu:   :tu:

us Offline TonySal

Reply #12 on: October 01, 2016, 01:18:31 AM

How about some better pics.   :tu:   :tu:
Its a phone,  I'll try! Thanks for asking...
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline TonySal

Reply #13 on: November 23, 2017, 04:19:28 PM
Try this
20160924_111915.jpg
* 20160924_111915.jpg (Filesize: 68.8 KB)
join KNIFE RIGHTS

us Offline TonySal

Reply #14 on: December 27, 2017, 04:35:47 AM
Try this
Pradel, French! Wow Not sak.....
join KNIFE RIGHTS

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!