Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Recommend a one piece tool

de Offline Josh613

Recommend a one piece tool
on: October 01, 2016, 09:09:43 PM
So my leatherman brewer and nitize doohickey arrived yesterday. Haven't use them at all yet because I'm trying out the sak minimalist challenge. They do however look very good indeed. I've been looking online at piranhas and saw a croc on another forum the idea of having a wrench really appeals to me I was looking at the Atwood funny one on here too but think that would be impossible to get. So guys can you recommend me a good one piece tool should have wrench,place for a bit and possibly a pry are although that's not so drastic as I will have one of the smaller ones on my keys

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Re: Recommend a one piece tool
Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 09:14:05 PM
Saw the topic, was about to recommend the Brewzer, then read your post... So, how about dropping over to Shapeways and take a look at the MT.o tools?  :D http://www.shapeways.com/search?q=multitool.org&type=
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 09:15:12 PM by Steinar »

de Offline Josh613

Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 09:59:15 PM
Nice think I'll be defiantly picking up a challenge coin when I get paid! Looking for a larger size though have seen some of the leatherman by numbers can't remember which one it was but was like a wrench with the but inside it can't find it anywhere now

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 10:41:34 PM
Pocketwrench II is one of my favorites! Simple but effective.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 06:05:39 PM
Pocketwrench II is one of my favorites! Simple but effective.

Hard to buy in Europe, though, and the only place I found in the USA wanted $16 for shipping it to the UK....
"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 07:01:00 PM
They are getting hard to find. Did they stop making them?

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 09:05:25 PM
They are getting hard to find. Did they stop making them?

Well the website doesn't work anymore: pocketwrenchtool.com

You can still buy them from from Lee Valley, but the high shipping cost to Europe just makes it not worth it
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=61101&cat=1,70373,70375&ap=1

"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

de Offline Josh613

Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 03:20:17 PM
Those look pretty cool but yeah theyre difficult to get here on germany or the EU for that matter

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 03:56:51 PM
Is this thing even patented?
Maybe Leatherman could acquire it...  ::)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 04:20:13 PM by ReamerPunch »

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: October 03, 2016, 04:02:48 PM
I usually don't recommend knock-offs but if the original is not available... well then:

Knock-off

How good are they?
Comparison by enki
And some more opinions speaking rather well of the knock-off
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: October 03, 2016, 04:04:10 PM
I was also going to suggest the PW2 but yes the shipping makes it quite pricy.  The clones have got pretty good reviews. 
Esse Quam Videri

de Offline Josh613

Reply #11 on: October 03, 2016, 07:58:19 PM
Wow under 4 euros! Seen one of those little pry bars too how do they hold up?

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: October 04, 2016, 02:01:24 AM
I found the larger wrench types annoying to carry so ended up trying smaller randoms.

Even the doohick and brewzer had to go on a diet.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #13 on: October 04, 2016, 02:11:55 AM
I have to say that I think everyone needs a Gerber Shard.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

de Offline Josh613

Reply #14 on: October 04, 2016, 12:38:48 PM
I really want a wrench kind for work though. Just for quick fixes and adjustments thinking of carrying it in my back left pocket

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #15 on: October 04, 2016, 06:26:29 PM

Def

I found two problems with the Gerber Shard:

1) There are thousands of sub-standard fake Gerber Shards sold as genuine, these have a completely useless Phillips driver, as all the edges are too rounded, and are generally useless all round - see this page for further information: http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Gerber-Shard-avoid-buying-a-fake-/10000000204622296/g.html

I initially bought one (from a seller on Amazon.co.uk) which turned out to be a fake, so I disputed the transaction and received a full refund (and was told I could keep what I was sent, but I dumped it in the recycling).

2) I did eventually obtain a genuine Gerber shard, but found it annoying as a keychain tool, as the both the prybar prongs and the Phillips driver tip dug into my leg or caught on my trousers.

I'm currently using a Leatherman Brewzer instead - not as versatile, but more comfortable to pocket carry and works fine as light pry and beverage opener. It'll also work as an emergency 1/4" bit driver (though not a great one), if you have 1/4" bits to hand.

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #16 on: October 04, 2016, 08:33:24 PM
I usually don't recommend knock-offs but if the original is not available... well then:

Knock-off

How good are they?
Comparison by enki
And some more opinions speaking rather well of the knock-off

I recently actually ended up buying a knock of EDC gear PW2 from DX, I used this link: http://www.dx.com/p/edcgear-multifunction-stainless-steel-wrench-silver-302605#.V_PykigrKUk

I normally wouldn't buy Chinese copies, but given the unavailability in Europe and high shipping cost from the USA, and no manufacturer website that works, I caved in this time.

The one I actually received looks slightly different from the photo, it has an animal logo above the text "EDC Gear". The finish is not bad, though am sure not the standard of the original, and is polished. The wrench teeth actually look pretty similar to the original PW2 and are well-defined. 1/4" bit fits into the 1/4" socket well. I've not had a chance to use it much, but it's worked on what I've tried it on. There's no rust on it, though I applied Frog Lube CLP to it when I received it.

I'd still prefer to get an original Burktek PW2 if I could purchase one at a reasonable price including shipping to UK

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #17 on: October 04, 2016, 10:18:38 PM

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

de Offline Josh613

Reply #18 on: October 05, 2016, 04:53:25 AM
I'm liking the more conventional prybar they have on there and at that price could easily shorten it for keychain carry and make it flat.

The piranha is really taking my fancy but with a lot of other things needed first it's sadly more towards the bottom of the pile.
Any one have a review of the piranha?

de Offline Josh613

Reply #19 on: October 05, 2016, 04:54:37 AM

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #20 on: October 05, 2016, 09:16:49 AM
I'm liking the more conventional prybar they have on there and at that price could easily shorten it for keychain carry and make it flat.

The piranha is really taking my fancy but with a lot of other things needed first it's sadly more towards the bottom of the pile.
Any one have a review of the piranha?

For me the problem with the Piranha is that the most used wrenches (for me) are the closed ones, and these are more awkward to use - I'd rather have the metric ones up front, but there is only one SAE-first configuration for the Piranha.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #22 on: October 05, 2016, 11:44:46 AM

Def

Much as I hate to agree with Grant, but  :imws:

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #23 on: October 05, 2016, 03:17:27 PM

Def
Much as I hate to agree with Grant, but  :imws:

You must have thicker trousers than me! I do still use the tool, I just don't pocket car it.

For the OP - if you do get a Gerner Shard, just be aware, as I indicated, that there are very, very many poorly made fakes.

Hiraethus - where did you get yours from. as this may help the OP? I can't remember where I got my genuine from in the end.

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: October 06, 2016, 12:12:19 AM
Thank you everyone for all the links

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #25 on: October 07, 2016, 07:17:39 AM
Hiraethus - where did you get yours from. as this may help the OP? I can't remember where I got my genuine from in the end.

Amazon, I think. :think:

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #26 on: October 07, 2016, 09:39:24 AM

Amazon, I think. :think:

My fake one came from a seller on amazon.co.uk ....

us Offline getahl

Reply #27 on: October 08, 2016, 07:43:25 PM
The scraper on the piranha works well for cleaning gunk out of the fridge! The open ended wrench side is good too.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #28 on: October 08, 2016, 07:56:28 PM
The scraper on the piranha works well for cleaning gunk out of the fridge! The open ended wrench side is good too.

If you live in a country which has the Imperial system... The metric wrench is less useful, as not open-ended and you can't get as good a grip, but it does work at least

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #29 on: October 09, 2016, 10:10:44 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)
peacNt what is the dangling item your keys are clipped too?

Aitor belt hanger, no longer made I believe

Has two attachments which can be easily taken out of the main belt attachment by pressing the red button and sliding the straight metal bar up

Two different "keyring systems" can thus be carried in the same pocket and used independently depending on the situation. I really dig it!
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%