Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which AAA Batteries?

Kev D · 35 · 1748

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Which AAA Batteries?
on: October 10, 2016, 11:31:18 AM
I've just ordered myself a couple of EDC torches for in my pocket, an Olight i3E and a ThruNite Ti3.

Which batteries do you use in yours? rechargeable or just a good off the shelf alkaline?

Personally I'm leaning towards a good quality off the shelf alkaline as they are readily available anywhere, but thought I'd see what everyone else uses.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 11:35:39 AM by Kevin Davey »

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Which AAA Batteries?
Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 11:46:20 AM
I would depend that on how much you are going to use that flashlight.

Once in a blue moon to rarely: Non-rechargeable batteries
Often to daily: re-chargeable batteries are more economical, carry a non-rechargeable as backup.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 11:57:51 AM
I was using energizer advanced alkalines and are now giving the eneloop rechargeables a go.

So far I like them.

Yeah hurts the wallet now but I should make it all back easily enough when night fishing on holiday.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 11:59:20 AM by zoidberg »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 04:00:47 PM
I use eneloops mostly but I also have some other rechargeable cells.  I want to try the eneloop pros and I've read good things about the amazon branded rechargeable tho I haven't tested them myself.  There are a few versions of those amazon rechargeable.  Some feel these batteries are rebranded eneloop 2nd gen but those are just opinions. 

If you are new to rechargeable batteries then stick with a proven quality brand.  You'll pay up front but in the long run I feel you will be quite happy.  No worries from leaking batteries and knowing your device will work when the rechargeable has sat for some time is peace of mind. 

I've had my eneloops now for over 4 years and I couldn't be happier.   

Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 04:07:16 PM
Keep your eyes peeled at the supermarket for AA and AAA lithiums. That's what I use if I can. Otherwise I go with a Duracell disposable

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 04:30:11 PM
Eneloops if it's something you're going to be using often, Energizer Lithium if you're just going to stash it for emergencies.

england Offline Kev D

Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 04:31:07 PM
Thanks guys

We keep batteries in our store at work, and they used to be some crappy cheap ones. I ordered some so I could see what they would be like in the torches.  They got delivered about 10 mins ago through our internal site system, and they are now Duracell plus power alkalines. I've ordered one or two more so I can test a good sample size. It's purely for test purposes you understand.  :whistle:

It being a test means they will need random sampling at different times throughout the year to ensure correct performance in varying seasonal climates  :D

I'd best order a few other sizes to see if they are Duracell now to so I can test those as well in other electronic items I have.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 06:18:56 PM
Quality non rechargeable are fine.  I still have some Duracell AA that are holdover from when I bought in bulk. 
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline jcs0001

Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 08:56:17 PM
I use rechargeables - either eneloop or rebadged eneloops - and find that they work well for me.  They hold a decent charge for a long time so are ready to use even if left in a light for a few months.  I have a solar charge station that keeps all of my many batteries up to charge.

One aspect of rechargeable nimh batteries is that it is important to have a good charger.  I have three that are reliable and work properly however they are either expensive or hard to obtain and in my experience must be ordered online as there is nothing suitable available locally.  I'm not up to date on chargers however either Candle Power forums or Budget light forums will have up to date information on what is available.  In my opinion there is no point investing in rechargeable batteries without spending the funds to get a good charger.

I don't particularly like alkalines as they can/will leak eventually leading to the ruination of whatever they are in.  I do have some lithium aa's but have never used lithium aaa's.  The lithium's tend to be quite expensive here.

John.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 09:01:15 PM
Duracell Lithium's or eneloop pro for me.

You're right about the charger John, I've been though several over the years and the one I use now is the Nightcore Digicharger D4, 12 or 220v  :tu:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #10 on: October 10, 2016, 09:46:36 PM
I use Eneloops as well as non rechargeable alkaline and lithium. All work well and while I like my Eneloops I usually use Alkaline's in my AAA lights. I only buy Energizer or Duracell for these. I'm more than happy how its working out.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

england Offline Kev D

Reply #11 on: October 10, 2016, 11:51:21 PM
Duracell Lithium's or eneloop pro for me.

You're right about the charger John, I've been though several over the years and the one I use now is the Nightcore Digicharger D4, 12 or 220v  :tu:

They are a great charger, I have the same one  :tu:

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #12 on: October 11, 2016, 02:27:42 AM
eneloops or if you want to cut the weight down on your keychain, try a lithium

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #13 on: October 11, 2016, 03:25:48 PM
Nothing but Eneloop for me, unless the light takes 10440 Li-Ion.  You won't catch me ever using Alkaline in my lights--I care for them too much to submit them to potential leaks.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 03:27:07 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #14 on: October 15, 2016, 02:14:06 AM
Eneloop only for me. Lost a Fenix L0D to leaking alkaline battery.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

england Offline Kev D

Reply #15 on: October 18, 2016, 07:57:34 PM
I went for eneloop pro's

Thanks for the advice everyone  :tu:

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #16 on: October 18, 2016, 08:05:05 PM
I went for eneloop pro's

Thanks for the advice everyone  :tu:

Good choice  :tu:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: October 19, 2016, 05:35:56 AM
Nice.  From what all I've been reading and the vids I've been watching they do sound great.  I'm going to pick some up soon enough myself. 
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #18 on: October 19, 2016, 07:22:53 PM
Go for it. I'm still using some Eneloops from 2008 which are still going strong.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

us Offline radioactive_Man

Reply #19 on: October 30, 2016, 09:46:25 PM
You should never use alkaline batteries in high draw devices like flashlights (or cameras, etc). They're prone to leaking and can't put out high enough voltage after a few uses. Stick with using good rechargeable NIMH's (like eneloops) or lithium cells like energizer lithium's.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #20 on: October 30, 2016, 10:57:11 PM
You cant go wrong with eneloop pro. :D
I personally use regular eneloop, cheaper and can take more charges with same performance(aside from shorter runtime, obviously).
In fact, am looking into buying coloured limited edition eneloop, if I am not careful, I might become an eneloop collector.  :ahhh 

You all probably know this, but as a rule, lights and other battery hungry equipment runs better/brighter on rechargeables like eneloop, due to the higher voltage under load.

(Watch out for made in china eneloop! nowhere near as good, panasonic is selling them in Asia and Australia.  :twak:)
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: November 02, 2016, 09:07:54 PM
Amici,
For all my lights, I use mostly Rayovac. I completely avoid anything Duracell.. With Rayovac, I've never had a single leakier of any kind, even spanning the period of years. But Duracell, I've had them leak either when they were loaded in a light, or even just sitting in it's original packaging..

I've also had nothing but positive experiences using also Sony or Kodak alkaline batteries.. I believe both are made in Japan. so that may be a factor regarding quality and performance.

Cheers,
Serge   
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: November 02, 2016, 10:13:26 PM
Good to hear serge, just keep in mind that your lights might be brighter with rechargeables if they are powerful.   :)

All hail the hook!

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #23 on: November 04, 2016, 10:26:37 AM
I use an AAA flashlight almost daily, I use regular Eneloop batteries  :tu:
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: November 05, 2016, 01:08:36 PM
Yup, eneloops for me too.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: November 05, 2016, 05:50:24 PM
Amici,
I was lucky to meet an individual who as a hobby repairs all types of flashlights when I was searching for someone to repair a classic 1970's all steel Ranger flashlight that was having ignition problems. Anyhoo's when we discussed batteries, he recommended to stay away from rechargeable batteries as a whole, since some of the reasons being were that they don't hold a charge long, degrade quicker, and are prone to leaking. So with that, I steer clear of anything that's rechargeable and replaceable. 

The exception being is this Nitecore TIP which is rechargeable via a USB. I know eventually, the internal battery will poop out. But unfortunately, they are not currently listing replacements, although the entire light is secured in place with Phillips bits.

Cheers,
Serge
TIP NC MLS.jpeg
* TIP NC MLS.jpeg (Filesize: 146.12 KB)
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: November 05, 2016, 10:12:31 PM
Newer kinds of ni-mh LSD rechargeables, such as eneloops, reliably hold at least 70% of their charge for 5 years.  :o

BTW. the Nitecore TIP has a li-on battery, same chemistry as a 18650 cell and the one in your phone
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 10:15:47 PM by Pablo O'Brien »

All hail the hook!

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #27 on: November 06, 2016, 02:54:38 PM
I've ended up switching all of my (relatively few) used flashlights over to lithium after I let an Enloop get too low of a charge in an E01 several years ago.  I'd rather not have to worry about outgassing or leaking batteries, and with how rarely I actually have to switch out batteries, it's worth the small premium in cost.  On that related note, I need to pick up some more lithium AAAs when I next go to Target. :think:

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #28 on: November 06, 2016, 04:04:08 PM
While lithium primary batteries are less likely to leak than alkalines, they aren't 100% leak proof - I had one leak a couple of months ago (and yes, I was a bit surprised). 

I have never had an eneloop leak yet, and I use dozens of them as my preferred battery in AA and AAA size.

My current recommendation for people who want a reliable, unlikely to explode/burn/leak battery, is still a LSD Eneloop for anything used regularly, and a good quality lithium primary for anything used infrequently.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: November 06, 2016, 05:11:53 PM
I've ended up switching all of my (relatively few) used flashlights over to lithium after I let an Enloop get too low of a charge in an E01 several years ago.  I'd rather not have to worry about outgassing or leaking batteries, and with how rarely I actually have to switch out batteries, it's worth the small premium in cost.  On that related note, I need to pick up some more lithium AAAs when I next go to Target. :think:
Even if you abuse them(not recommended, as you will have to bin them), they will not leak/self-destruct. At worst, apparently they can let out some hydrogen(?)
which will not harm your light.

All hail the hook!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31