Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Cage.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
The Cage.
on: October 10, 2016, 02:05:18 PM
I can't seem to stop buying these Police Security branded flashlights. I guess I have had nothing but good experiences with them. My latest is called The Cage. I bought this 210 lumens flashlight to store away inside one of the Jeep's front doors. My Patriot has a very useful rear compartment light that doubles as a flashlight...however, I have found that I really need one up front. When I saw this, I thought it would be a good fit.

This one is billed as "the worlds first drop proof flashlight". Not sure if this is the case...but the whole premise is that the flashlight is protected by this outside plastic cage. The packaging tells me it should survive a 90 foot drop...not that I ever plan to be anywhere near that high with my fear of heights, but it should survive the constant jolts over my area's lack of pot hole management.

This flashlight is powered by 2 AA batteries. There are 3 modes to this flashlight. You get a high, low, and blink mode. All are accessed via a multi tap button. The low power gives you 53 lumens and should power the flashlight for approximately 8.5 hours. The high wiill get you around 2 hours of usage.

Surprisingly comfortable to hold, and what I really like best about this futuristic looking design, it will never roll away on you when you place it on a flat surface. That right there is my biggest pet peeve with flashlights.

For more info: http://ps-brands.com/product/the-extreme-cage/
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 02:07:02 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: The Cage.
Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 02:12:18 PM

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 02:31:34 PM
Nothing wrong with building a rugged flashlight, but this one seems... :think:

The rugged cage blocks half the beam as it forms a straight tube, whereas the beam is a cone.
53 lumen is not much of a low mode.
Rugged, for me is not just to protect against being dropped, but also water- / dust-proofing, making it work under harsh conditions (hot / cold, especially cold).

I also distrust a vendor that can't take decent photos... but worst NAIL VARNISH :D
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 02:45:19 PM
The rugged cage blocks half the beam as it forms a straight tube, whereas the beam is a cone.

Do you have one of these?

My copy does not bear what you just said. This is a spot beam flashlight. There is a slight shadow pattern where each of the tip of that cage shows up on the secondary light splash...but it is nothing bothersome as the beam isn't affected at all.

I am not sure why hand models using varnish (if at that) has anything to do with the product?  :think:

Most flashlights are dust and water proof these days...as this one is.

You are welcome to your opinion...but I have to say, having the product in hand and shooting it down is far better than just shooting it down. I can say that from experience.  :D

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 03:22:38 PM
Most flashlights are dust and water proof these days...as this one is.
I operate under the assumption that, if you built a rugged flashlight you would advertise qualities like this. Since the manufacturer does not I consider it not water-proof (until I find other indications). In addition I expect from a flashlight this rugged to be more than just the default. I mean chances are higher you drop it in a puddle of water than from 27m (in a drop that high I would worry more that I don't hit someone than about the flashlight :P). Testing if it is waterproof is not that hard / costly. I mean a flashlight this rugged should be IP-8 & IP-9K or something.

They should do something like this :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82JLxaRvAAQ&feature=player_embedded

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 08:09:25 PM
Well I won't put this one to the flame test. I am mostly certain the plastic cage was never designed for open flames...but...here is the flashlight turned on while submerged under a few inches of water in a white plastic bucket.

No ill effects. No water entry anywhere. The flashlight was left in there for around 10 minutes on.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 08:55:52 PM
Nice :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%