Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Knifeless Rebar?

gb Offline Pattas29

Knifeless Rebar?
on: October 12, 2016, 11:39:01 AM
Just wondering if anyone has carried one of these?

How did they find it?

I am looking to replace my PSTII and I could happily carry this and a SAK I think :tu:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Knifeless Rebar?
Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 11:47:20 AM
Just wondering if anyone has carried one of these?

How did they find it?

I am looking to replace my PSTII and I could happily carry this and a SAK I think :tu:

Ian, if I exchanged a PST II for any type of Rebar, I would be extremely disappointed. I have owned two of each, the second Rebar I converted to knifeless myself, and personally I find the Rebar to be more uncomfortable in use than the PST format.

By all means, try a Rebar - they are quite polarising and you love them or hate them - but don't give up the PST II until you've had time to play with the Rebar and make your own mind up.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Pattas29

Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 12:00:29 PM
Hello Bud,
thanks for the reply.

I would be retiring the PSTII but it would not leave my possession  :tu: . Took me a while to find a second one so I wouldn't get rid of this one. Plus I love the way it carries. I recently posted comparing a PSTII to a XE6 asking what people prefer out of curiosity. For me I tried carrying my XE6 again and still couldn't get away with it. To bulky sticks to far of the hip. PSTII is a much smaller tidier package.
Have a PST as well but I like having scissors. Even if the little blighters can be dangerous to get out on the PSTII ha ha.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 12:14:24 PM
Yeah, I commented on that thread too  :D

I understand you're seeking to find a pocketable and strictly UK legal (i.e. Without good reason to carry a locking or restricted folding blade) but what tools do you absolutely 100% need on it?

Maybe there's another way of approaching it  :think:

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 12:20:11 PM
I carried one for all of September for the rebar challenge and it is still my outside of work carry every day.  It does most things that I would want a MT to do, it just lacks the diamond file. I carry a Vic Pioneer as well so I have a UK legal blade with me, and also carry the leatherman bit kit and bit holder (the bit holder that fits the juices fit the rebar).

I'm going to mod my knifeless to include the file/blade exchange off a surge, I have it already, I just need to get on with it. Once that's done it will be all good for what I will need when generally out and about.  If I need something bigger I have tools in the car for that.

Here it all is...

« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 12:22:06 PM by Kevin Davey »

gb Offline Pattas29

Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 01:27:21 PM

I understand you're seeking to find a pocketable and strictly UK legal (i.e. Without good reason to carry a locking or restricted folding blade) but what tools do you absolutely 100% need on it?

Really I like having pliers, scissors and screwdrivers. I have no problem carrying a SAK as well as if I get the Mauser and it is UK legal i intend to carry that. That has a saw and awl so those bases will be covered by that.

I have loads of different models of leatherman but they are out cause of the locking blades. Loads of SAK's but they don't have the larger pliers (really wanted to try the spirit X but again locking blade) so I am just fishing around to find the perfect match.

gb Offline Pattas29

Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 01:29:32 PM
I carried one for all of September for the rebar challenge and it is still my outside of work carry every day.  It does most things that I would want a MT to do, it just lacks the diamond file. I carry a Vic Pioneer as well so I have a UK legal blade with me, and also carry the leatherman bit kit and bit holder (the bit holder that fits the juices fit the rebar).

I'm going to mod my knifeless to include the file/blade exchange off a surge, I have it already, I just need to get on with it. Once that's done it will be all good for what I will need when generally out and about.  If I need something bigger I have tools in the car for that.

Here it all is...

(Image removed from quote.)

If I am honest I have owned 6 Rebars and sold or traded them all ironically becaue of the blade. Loved the shape but I always without fail developed rust spots. I can't deny like the model but it was very frustrating.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 01:33:14 PM
Good luck in your search buddy :salute: Many people from the UK and I would trust the opinion of both of the UKers that have posted above :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: October 12, 2016, 01:35:15 PM

Here it all is...

If I am honest I have owned 6 Rebars and sold or traded them all ironically becaue of the blade. Loved the shape but I always without fail developed rust spots. I can't deny like the model but it was very frustrating.

I know rust is something we never want but as long as it doesn't get back just surface rust then I am OK with it as all my other tools being out in the weather all inevitably get some rust on them as well :cheers:

england Offline Kev D

Reply #9 on: October 12, 2016, 02:07:41 PM

Here it all is...

You sold or traded them because of rust spots on the blade?

Wouldn't it have been easy to wire wool them off and oil the blade?

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: October 12, 2016, 02:21:39 PM

Really I like having pliers, scissors and screwdrivers. I have no problem carrying a SAK as well as if I get the Mauser and it is UK legal i intend to carry that. That has a saw and awl so those bases will be covered by that.

I have loads of different models of leatherman but they are out cause of the locking blades. Loads of SAK's but they don't have the larger pliers (really wanted to try the spirit X but again locking blade) so I am just fishing around to find the perfect match.

Go the Spirit X and file the blade down to a very blunt butter knife or giant coke spoon.

Or get the Signal and replace the blade with SAK scissors and replace the saw with the diamond coated file.

But seriously, get the Spirit.

gb Offline Pattas29

Reply #11 on: October 12, 2016, 02:25:45 PM
Honestly it annoyed me so I just moved them on. They kind of became trade fodder

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: October 12, 2016, 03:26:22 PM
A knifeless Rebar will rust just as bad on the other tools  :D

Have you considered modding one of your other LM's? Which are the models that would appeal most if they were knifeless?

BTW, the saw on the 108mm Vics is one of the worst ever released on any form of multitool. Enki would be able to back me up on this  :D Conversely, 91mm Vic scissors are one of the best, and a SAK and pliers tool combo always trumps a single tool solution in my opinion  :angel:

Would a modified MP400 like Kirky's MP425 or my MP426 appeal? I have a spare 400 and 450 and could do the mod for you.

us Offline Aberdrew13

Reply #13 on: October 12, 2016, 03:45:45 PM
Maybe track down a Leatherman Mini-tool to compliment your SAK......  :think:

A compact, but full size plier tool, but no locking blade.  :assimilate:
If my text is in blue, read it with sarcasm.  That is how it's meant!

fi Offline Padre

Reply #14 on: October 12, 2016, 09:13:03 PM
I'd stay with PST2, but knifeless Rebar isn't that bad either.
Maybe Spyderco UK Penknife + Knifeless Rebar?
 :think:
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #15 on: October 13, 2016, 05:18:33 PM
I often carry a Leatherman Knifeless Rebar (locking tools,but no awl or saw, no tool clumping like the Rebar) and a Vic Soldier (which gives me an awl and decent knife), which seems to work well together. If you carried a Vic Farmer you'd have a saw too.

I managed to buy the Knifeless Rebar from a store in the US that had old NIB stock and was prepared to ship to the UK - I think they still have stock, so, if you're interested, PM me for details. Worked out a little more expensive than the Knifeless Rebar once shipping and customs fees taken into account, but not by much.

"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #16 on: October 13, 2016, 05:23:39 PM
BTW the Fuse also works with Leatherman's bit adaptor that fits over the screwdriver - it works quite well for flat drivers and smaller Phillips, though I have more of a need for larger Phillips and hex bits, and prefer the full size ones, so use the Vic Bit Wrench. This "toolkit" is all UK-legal carry:

"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #17 on: October 21, 2016, 09:30:47 AM
 :multi:
Knifeless Rebar.jpg
* Knifeless Rebar.jpg (Filesize: 37.42 KB)
Knifeless Rebar 2.jpg
* Knifeless Rebar 2.jpg (Filesize: 236.3 KB)

gb Offline Pattas29

Reply #18 on: October 21, 2016, 12:17:44 PM
Thats all kinds of different. And cool Obi1shinobee

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #19 on: October 21, 2016, 07:07:46 PM
I often carry a Leatherman Knifeless Rebar (locking tools,but no awl or saw, no tool clumping like the Rebar) and a Vic Soldier (which gives me an awl and decent knife), which seems to work well together. If you carried a Vic Farmer you'd have a saw too.

I managed to buy the Knifeless Rebar from a store in the US that had old NIB stock and was prepared to ship to the UK - I think they still have stock, so, if you're interested, PM me for details. Worked out a little more expensive than the Knifeless Rebar once shipping and customs fees taken into account, but not by much.

I bought a Victorinox Harvester this week, as found one at a good price. this means that on top of the tools from the Knifeless Fuse this would add both the missing awl (and an inline one at that) as well as an excellent saw and the unique curved pruning blade, as well as the main blade. I'm still awaiting delivery of it, but when it arrives I'll post a set of photos of all the tools from both items to show the complete toolset coverage.

gb Offline Biker_Bob

Reply #20 on: October 22, 2016, 06:04:00 AM
I don't know - that saw looks an awful lot like a knife blade to me!
I've got a UK modded PSTII and Crunch which I carry every day. I've moved the blade to the outside and turned them into one hand opening friction lockers. I can also remove the blade entirely without the use of tools. On the crunch I've added a set of Vic scissors where the knife used to be. The mod does increase the width a little, but I've welded a pocket clip on so they just sit in the back pocket of my jeans, on a lanyard.
I posted on the forum about them, search for UK EDC Crunch.
BTW I modded the PSTII because I don't think it is a UK EDC in standard form - although the blades don't lock, the handles prevent the blade from closing and therefore are defacto a locking mechanism.

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: November 13, 2016, 07:04:01 AM
I actually have 3 Knifeless Fuse that's NIB with original instructions that I've never got around to using so I'm actually thinking of selling them. If anyone is interested just PM me.  I was originally planning on keeping one each at the branch offices I'm located but HR put their foot down. Cheers!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: November 13, 2016, 04:09:55 PM
I actually have 3 Knifeless Fuse that's NIB with original instructions that I've never got around to using so I'm actually thinking of selling them. If anyone is interested just PM me.  I was originally planning on keeping one each at the branch offices I'm located but HR put their foot down. Cheers!

If serious about selling them then I would put them down in the Tools For Sale section with couple pics and a price :tu: I am sure you shouldn't have to much of a problem selling them ;)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%