Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Autoplay Video Commercials

us Offline Okie Shyster

Autoplay Video Commercials
on: October 13, 2016, 09:26:51 PM
Is there a way to turn off those smurfing autoplay video commercials?   :bnghd:  They're driving me crazy.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Autoplay Video Commercials
Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 11:28:30 PM
They are very annoying.  I have been just turing off my speakers. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Okie Shyster

Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 02:00:19 AM
They are very annoying.  I have been just turing off my speakers.

I know I can turn off the speakers but it's a nuisance to be turning them on and off.  I'm hoping there's a way to just not autoplay the vids.  They really are very annoying.

Thx for the response, Aloha. 

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 02:09:20 AM
I haven't encountered any autopsy ads. I wasn't aware we even had any.

I'll have a look and see if there's anything that can be done about it.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Okie Shyster

Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 02:13:31 AM
I haven't encountered any autopsy ads. I wasn't aware we even had any.

I'll have a look and see if there's anything that can be done about it.

Def

Still anxiously awaiting your response.  If you can find a way to get rid of them I'll remember you in my will.   :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 02:46:40 AM
The problem is, we don't actually have video ads, so this issue shouldn't exist.

I've shuffled a few settings in our ad service, but honestly I don't know where they are coming from.  Have you tried a different browser, and if so, are you experiencing these ads there as well?

Also, if you could let me know what they are for, what company/organization/website etc, that might also help.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Okie Shyster

Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 04:51:31 PM
The problem is, we don't actually have video ads, so this issue shouldn't exist.

I've shuffled a few settings in our ad service, but honestly I don't know where they are coming from.  Have you tried a different browser, and if so, are you experiencing these ads there as well?

Also, if you could let me know what they are for, what company/organization/website etc, that might also help.

Def

Fingers crossed.  Whatever you did seems to have eliminated the problem of these evil videos.   :cheers:

They were really strange.  They appeared scrolled all the way down at the bottom of a thread and only the very top part of the video was visible.  Couldn't scroll down any further to see the bottom 2/3s of the video but had to listen to the sound.

And, since I promised to remember you in my will and being a man of my word, I'm going to include in my will, "I remember Def (did I spell your name correctly?) who figured out how to make those annoying ads go away."   :D

A big thank you!   :salute:

Best regards

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016, 12:51:53 AM
As long as it worked we'll call it even.  If your will is anything like mine,  all you'll leave are bills anyway!  :D

Def

us Offline Okie Shyster

Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 10:05:04 PM
Don't go spending that inheritance just yet.  They're back.

However, they may not be due to MTO.  A small box in the top right corner of the ad says "AdChoices" and elsewhere "Powered by EZ Portal."  Does that give you any ideas on where they're coming from?

I wonder if it's something I inadvertently downloaded on my computer that's allowing them to play.  I use a Mac with Safari as a browser.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 10:09:11 PM by Okie Shyster »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 01:16:29 AM
No, EZ Portal is what our ad service uses.  It's odd, I have yet to see any of them myself.

I'll take another look and see what can be done.

Def

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #10 on: October 28, 2016, 03:03:20 AM
I am using chrome and I have no issues.

I am also using adblocker, on my PCs.

I still get the ads at the top and the bottom of each page but no video ads
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #11 on: October 28, 2016, 11:13:39 AM
ezportal is an addon to the forum software which allows us to have blocks on the sidebar etc. All our ads are either internal or adsense, and AFAIK adsense doesn't have any autoplay videos, you must click on them to play.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

us Offline Okie Shyster

Reply #12 on: October 29, 2016, 03:29:11 PM
These AdChoices videos are still showing up and autoplaying but are strange.

When I open a page two of them will load and play on the right side of the page in the vertical bar under "operational funds" and "community links."  But all of the video ad is not visible.  Picture a rectangle divided into fourths by four vertical lines.  Only the leftmost quarter of the ad is visible.  The rest is off the screen to the right.  The visible part has the AdChoices symbol at the top right which is how I know it is an AdChoices ad.

In addition, another ad loads at the very bottom of the thread in the center of the page.  You have to scroll all the way down to see it but, again, not all of it is visible.  Only the top third or so of the ad is visible but it also has the AdChoices symbol and says "Powered by EZ Portal."  I can't scroll down any further to see all of the ad.

I'm not very smart about computer stuff so I don't know whether this is the result of something I did inadvertently or it's something in MTO's software or settings.  So far, only Aloha007 has indicated that he is experiencing them too but I'm guessing this isn't a sub-forum that is widely read. It would be interesting to find out whether others are also experiencing these ads but that question would probably have to be posed in another, widely-read sub-forum and would be off-topic for that sub-forum so I don't want to do it.

I'm all out of ideas on how to fix this.  Any suggestions are welcome.  (Again I use a Mac with Safari 6.2.8 as a browser.)

Best regards

us Offline Okie Shyster

Reply #13 on: October 29, 2016, 07:06:52 PM
One other thing I should add that might be relevant is that MTO is the only website on which I get these video ads.  Don't know whether that will help to pin it down but there it is.

Regards

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: October 29, 2016, 07:16:23 PM
They're still playing on my end as well.  I am a computer illiterate so I am zero help.  I use a Mac running El Capitan 10.11.2.  not sure that matters. There are ads at the bottom, top and side tho I'm not sure what ads are playing. 

It just recently began to happen.  I've had issues before but they've resolved themselves.  I just turn off my speakers so as not to be bothered. 

I turned them on right now as I type and sure enough an ad is playing  :rofl:.  It was just music, sounded like violins.  The ads at the top and bottom of the page are amazon ads while the side ad is blank.   The ad is short usually and sporadic. 

I guess we are the only two experiencing this  :think:  Like I said I just turn off my speakers and close the page when browsing the inter webs so as not to be bothered.   
Esse Quam Videri

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #15 on: October 29, 2016, 07:48:18 PM
so now I see a commonality... you're both on macs running Safari.

Can you try another browser such as Chrome or Firefox and see if they happen there as well?

Seems odd, but perhaps some Safari routine is kickstarting ads that should not play without being clicked.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

us Offline Okie Shyster

Reply #16 on: October 31, 2016, 01:05:16 PM
Whoey:

I'm computer illiterate, also, and I don''t want to try downloading and using another browser for fear I'll mess something up that I can't fix.

These pesky video ads are a recent phenomenon.  I don't recall exactly when they started but I'm wondering if they are tied to MTO's new format.  I didn't get them with the old format and I haven't changed any settings that I"m aware of. 

While Aloha007 and I are the only members to have responded to this thread, I'm wondering if the problem may be more widespread and others simply aren't reading this thread.  Could you or Def pose the question in other sub-forums to see if the problem is more widespread?

For now, I'll do like 007 and just turn the sound off.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #17 on: October 31, 2016, 01:38:21 PM

Can you try another browser such as Chrome or Firefox and see if they happen there as well?

Seems odd, but perhaps some Safari routine is kickstarting ads that should not play without being clicked.

I'll check on Safari and a couple of other browsers on my mac tonight.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: October 31, 2016, 02:27:13 PM
Whoey:

I'm computer illiterate, also, and I don''t want to try downloading and using another browser for fear I'll mess something up that I can't fix.

These pesky video ads are a recent phenomenon.  I don't recall exactly when they started but I'm wondering if they are tied to MTO's new format.  I didn't get them with the old format and I haven't changed any settings that I"m aware of. 

While Aloha007 and I are the only members to have responded to this thread, I'm wondering if the problem may be more widespread and others simply aren't reading this thread.  Could you or Def pose the question in other sub-forums to see if the problem is more widespread?

Try switching back to the old format and see if that fixes it.

us Offline Okie Shyster

Reply #19 on: October 31, 2016, 02:32:08 PM
Whoey:

How do I switch back to the old format?  (I'm not very good with this stuff.) 

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: October 31, 2016, 02:36:08 PM
I try to load a new browser.  If its worth anything I am using Duck duck go. 

You'd think I knew more about this stuff with all the posts I have  :facepalm:.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: October 31, 2016, 05:18:51 PM
Whoey:

Go to your profile and click  (account settings). Under modify profile, click  (Look and Layout). Across from  current theme, click (change). Under SMF default theme - Curve, click (Use this theme).  Done, you should now be back to the old theme.

us Offline Okie Shyster

Reply #22 on: October 31, 2016, 08:06:24 PM
Whoey:

Go to your profile and click  (account settings). Under modify profile, click  (Look and Layout). Across from  current theme, click (change). Under SMF default theme - Curve, click (Use this theme).  Done, you should now be back to the old theme.

SteveC:

Done.  Cautiously optimistic (fingers crossed).  I think that may have worked.  The ads I'm seeing now are static ads, not videos.  :hatsoff:

A big thank you.

Wardo

Aloha007--Give that a try and see if it works for you.

Disregard.  I spoke too soon.   :bnghd:
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 08:20:36 PM by Okie Shyster »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: October 31, 2016, 08:10:06 PM
I just installed Sierra and so far I've heard nothing.  If I should hear anything I will try reverting back to the old format.

Crap as I was about to hit send  :ahhh auto play ads.    :rofl:

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Okie Shyster

Reply #24 on: October 31, 2016, 08:13:49 PM
I just installed Sierra and so far I've heard nothing.  If I should hear anything I will try reverting back to the old format.

Crap as I was about to hit send  :ahhh auto play ads.    :rofl:

Aloha:

Try changing to the old format as SteveC suggested.  It seems to have worked for me.

Never mind.  I spoke too soon.

Cheers
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 08:21:44 PM by Okie Shyster »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: October 31, 2016, 08:28:08 PM
Its ok  :salute: I'll just keep my speakers turned off.  It not a terrible thing tho interesting how it "all of a sudden" began. 

I'm not too interested in finding out why in all honesty.  I'm all about just keeping my speakers off as its the easiest "fix" for me to accomplish.  I just installed Sierra and now I have to figure out how to resize my pics  :facepalm:  :rofl:

I am of the mentality that a large hammer fixes my issues with electronics  :whistle:.   Kinda like Kirky with his last cell phone. 
Esse Quam Videri

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #26 on: November 08, 2016, 03:36:49 PM

I'll check on Safari and a couple of other browsers on my mac tonight.

Had a good poke around with Safari and Chrome (with the adblock off) last night - didn't get any video ads at all.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: November 08, 2016, 03:45:20 PM
Oddly enough I haven't heard any lately.  I've not done anything other than load Sierra. 
Esse Quam Videri

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: November 08, 2016, 09:11:46 PM
What are the ads for?  Each of us gets different ads based on what types of things you look at online, so that might help us narrow it down, and explain why some folks are seeing them and some aren't.

Def

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: November 09, 2016, 07:07:59 PM
I don't recall.  I turned off my speaker soon after they began.  Sorry to be of no help. 
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD