Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New! Gerber Center Drive

WiseDuck · 438 · 30771

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: New! Gerber Center Drive
Reply #60 on: October 20, 2016, 11:48:07 AM
Thanks. I've been quoted elsewhere too. :D

http://knifenews.com/gerber-center-drive-multitool/?utm_source=KnifeNews+List&utm_campaign=d9043a5e42-GerberMultitool10_19_2016&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_575065eac1-d9043a5e42-121672917

Def
Woah... Mr. Fancyfamous :tu:
You even got your own post-tag

Quote from: knifenews
The main blade, driver arm, and pliers are all spring-assisted
Wait, I sort of missed that.

Looking at the video below (knife 0:22 and driver 0:27), it does not appear that either is spring assisted. :think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVu0Y6dHcAc
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 11:49:36 AM by Etherealicer »
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #61 on: October 20, 2016, 01:26:43 PM
I'm proud of that post tag.  In fact, I want my headstone to read:

GRANT LAMONTAGNE
1974-2019
HAD HIS OWN POST TAG

:D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #62 on: October 20, 2016, 02:42:13 PM
I'm proud of that post tag.  In fact, I want my headstone to read:

GRANT LAMONTAGNE
1974-2019
HAD HIS OWN POST TAG

:D

Def
2019, huh? Staying positive, I see...

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #63 on: October 20, 2016, 02:58:18 PM
I'm getting old, but wasn't there more text on the http://center-drive.com/ website? Now there is practically no information anymore, only the tool list :think:

I also can't watch the videos on their site (I get a JavaScript error :ahhh).

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #64 on: October 20, 2016, 03:47:11 PM
I'm getting old, but wasn't there more text on the http://center-drive.com/ website? Now there is practically no information anymore, only the tool list :think:

I also can't watch the videos on their site (I get a JavaScript error :ahhh).

Strange.
I have the same problem. :think:
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

de Offline Josh613

Reply #65 on: October 20, 2016, 04:54:10 PM
Does look like a very useful tool. I like how the screwdriver takes standard bits and is centered. Also the pliers look cool. Think I will see what others thoughts are first

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #66 on: October 20, 2016, 05:37:53 PM
I'm not a huge fan of Gerber's multitool offerings, but I must say, from seeing the pictures of this Center Drive, that it likely will be in my mail box once I see the initial production-model reviews.  :multi:

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #67 on: October 20, 2016, 05:43:45 PM
Gerber must have hired a new marketing team because this release has already gotten a lot and I mean A LOT of press. If executed right, they will have put a lot of pressure on Leatherman and SOG to answer. I believe SOG already has some in the works, but Leatherman not so much.
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

Offline Ryo Saeba

Reply #68 on: October 20, 2016, 06:43:00 PM
Any word of how much it weighs? That'll be the real make or break point I think.

As far as the tool load out goes I'd have liked to see scissors and a saw instead of the serrated blade.

But it does look cool.

no Offline Grathr

Reply #69 on: October 20, 2016, 08:10:31 PM
Gerber must have hired a new marketing team because this release has already gotten a lot and I mean A LOT of press. If executed right, they will have put a lot of pressure on Leatherman and SOG to answer. I believe SOG already has some in the works, but Leatherman not so much.

Gerber has in the later years been in different league when it comes to marketing.
Remember the "hello trouble campaign"?
It was great!
Or the Bear Grylls collaboration. That must have made them a truckload of cash.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #70 on: October 22, 2016, 01:11:49 PM
It's been a while since I've genuinely been interested in a new MT on the market.  Don't get me wrong, the Signal seems fine, but the add-ons didn't get me going.  Can't wait to read the first member reports on this sturdy looking tool. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #71 on: October 22, 2016, 01:52:33 PM
I'm sure there will be the usual spectrum of reviews, as there is with any new tool. It's fun going through a number of reviews, looking for the commonalities, eliminating the elements which wouldn't apply to you, and trying to get that "feel" for a new tool, remotely.

I hope to see some reviews from users who make their tools scream for mercy at the end of a day, rather than just the "fresh out of the box" reviews. I think this is a tool which is worthy of putting to proper work, MrWhippy or Jothra style  :cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

no Offline Grathr

Reply #72 on: October 22, 2016, 04:02:42 PM
If there is one tool that should get the Jothra treatment, its this one. :tu:

Has anyone seen it up for pre order?
I fear that it might be hard to get  on this side of the pond.

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #73 on: October 24, 2016, 09:13:13 PM
https://www.instagram.com/p/BL9MI_bgHG8/?hl=en

Their instagram comments are funny.

This one said; not for people who clock out at 4:59pm
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 09:14:14 PM by kaput »
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #74 on: October 24, 2016, 10:11:51 PM
I'm a little confused: does the Centre-ish Driver fold inside or beside the handle?

Also, what's that thing sticking out behind the fine edge knife in this pic? :think:

Re marketing; I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure a direct comparison of a product to it's competitor is illegal here.

I'm interested to hear what people have to say about this new Gerber after some use. My initial thoughts by looking at the pics are that this seems like a useful thingie even though I don't like the pry tool and awl and I prefer handles opening butterfly style better. That's just me, though.
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #75 on: October 24, 2016, 11:12:02 PM
Also, what's that thing sticking out behind the fine edge knife in this pic? :think:
The way I understood it, this is a storage for an additional bit.

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #76 on: October 24, 2016, 11:13:25 PM
Driver sits on the outside. Kind of like the Power assist. How two outside blades are on the same handle. Same with the driver and the blade here
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #77 on: October 24, 2016, 11:42:03 PM
Except that the center drive driver won't lay flush like blades or flat tools would from the looks (because of design and limitations for obvious reasons)

If you look at that picture I posted from their instagram, it lays off kilter because of said driver. Not neccesriky a problem and we'll see when they come out. Who knows maybe it will feel great in the hand because of it.

Just tool coversation. I'm still stoked  :salute:
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 01:07:17 AM by kaput »

gr Offline firiki

Reply #78 on: October 24, 2016, 11:43:43 PM
The way I understood it, this is a storage for an additional bit.

So that would be a screwdriver bit. Thanks  :salute:

gr Offline firiki

Reply #79 on: October 24, 2016, 11:45:36 PM
Driver sits on the outside. Kind of like the Power assist. How two outside blades are on the same handle. Same with the driver and the blade here

Gotcha  :cheers: Sounds uncomfortable in pliers or knife mode  :ahhh

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #80 on: October 25, 2016, 02:16:39 AM
All things considered, and without having my hands on one, I'm not super excited about this one.  Gerber always strikes me as less than elegant in its design and aesthetics, and I think the price should reflect this reality.  I know that Billy Bob on the job site doesn't care about design elegance, but I do.  If it has a street price of $75 or whatever, that's starting to get up there in Spirit territory.  And the stubby driver?  <sigh>  Yeah, you get some reach, but you can't get down in countersunk holes unless you carry separate bits. That's always a biggy for me. I'd rather have the Rebar/ST300/Spirit's phillips driver with long shank, even if it is "off center".

It does have a lot going for it, including the universal bit driver and sprung pliers (which I think are little funky and fragile looking).  Carbide cutters have a rep for being breaky. Thumbs up on the outside opening blade.  This is a major plus, and something all MTs should emulate.  I may end up with one, just because I can't say no to a new MT, but I'm not ready to do cartwheels over this one.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #81 on: October 25, 2016, 02:53:35 AM
I kind of know what you mean. I'm not super excited myself, but for different reasons. It looks like it could be a decent tool, but I'm (currently) the wrong person for it. Design elegance for me starts in the function, and I think the aesthetics suit the intended environment - I'm just more urban than jobsite at present, with perhaps a hint of light trail - but that still doesn't put me needing a pry tool, carbide cutters or long arm driver.

I am looking forward to field reviews though. I am interested to hear about it's performance when put to some serious graft, even if I don't envisage owning one myself.... or at least not in the short term anyway.

I don't see the recessed screw thing being a major issue either, as you can get long bits to go in the tool. Carrying a tool with a longer, slimmer, dedicated driver doesn't help much if the recessed screw you are tying to drive is a Torx. I think the design is right for the intended market, both in toolset and appearance - I just hope the durability is right too.

us Offline JasonJ

Reply #82 on: October 25, 2016, 02:06:36 PM
Wow.. just saw this tool (thanks to Grant's email blast).  I'm torn.  It's got the right tools for a worksite, but missing some that I'd actually need or use, namely a saw and scissors, plus the awl looks incorrectly shaped. 

I am not a fan of Gerber MT's, none of them.  BUT, that being said, I hope this is successful so that it pushes LM and SOG, any any other company that wants to play ball to step up their game and put out a response to this tool.  It has some great things going on it. 

But man, they sure were brash and audacious in those videos..  They had better hope this thing flies and sells well, otherwise, that's an awful lot of egg on their faces.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #83 on: October 25, 2016, 04:23:49 PM
Well, the marketing appears to be working on me, I'm interested :)

(Comparing it to the LM Wave is a bit rough - They're 12 years apart...No one is comparing this years Mazda 3 to a 2004 Hyundai Excel....)

Perhaps comparing to the MUT would be a fairer deal :P

In any case, if they want to send one Down Under for an Honest Review, I'll find out if it is Sea Monster proof  >:D

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #84 on: October 25, 2016, 06:26:23 PM

...(Comparing it to the LM Wave is a bit rough - They're 12 years apart...No one is comparing this years Mazda 3 to a 2004 Hyundai Excel....)...

I disagree, I think it is an apt comparison. The Wave is insanely popular, and more importantly, still in production. It's not Gerber's fault that Leatherman hasn't updated the design in over a decade, that is on Leatherman. Plus, they both have some similar features, such as bit holders and one hand opening blades. Comparing it to the MUT (which is aimed at gun enthusiasts and military) would be like comparing a Hummer H2 to a Ford F250 pickup truck; similar sizes and engines, but completely different intended uses and target audiences.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline metasyntax

Reply #85 on: October 25, 2016, 08:10:26 PM
Looks a bit gimmicky to me... after all, as some have pointed out, it's only going to be centered on one axis (because it sits outside the handle). So, all things considered, I would expect it to end up being roughly as centered overall as the one on the SwissTool. I'm rooting for this to be good though, because more competition is always good, and I'm sad about the recent offerings from Gerber, SOG, and even Leatherman. If you can't innovate without dropping the quality, I'm not interested.

Comparing the blade against the OHT's is seriously :td: — unfortunately some people will be taken in by this.

I do like the thumb ramp thing, looks like it could be helpful for using the screwdriver, as long as it doesn't get in the way of other tool use.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 08:13:19 PM by metasyntax »
May it be as the Pattern has chosen.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #86 on: October 25, 2016, 08:54:28 PM
Just playing the devil's advocate role......

Why is comparing the blade to the one on the OHT wrong? It's a flicky plier tool from the guys who started the flicky plier tool, compared with the only other flicky plier tool on the market. In some ways it truly is the most direct competitor

us Offline metasyntax

Reply #87 on: October 25, 2016, 09:19:06 PM

Why is comparing the blade to the one on the OHT wrong? It's a flicky plier tool from the guys who started the flicky plier tool, compared with the only other flicky plier tool on the market. In some ways it truly is the most direct competitor

You're not wrong, but my beef is that they purposefully compared against two implements on two different tools. The Wave has a stubby driver, but a big blade. The OHT has a decently sized (and fairly well centered, I might add!) Phillips driver, and a short blade. What Gerber did is like saying "the Wave is the best multi-tool because it has bigger scissors than the Spirit and it's lighter than the SwissTool X!" Three of their comparison photos show the Wave, so I'd forgive a non-MTO person for not realizing at a glance that the last photo is a totally different model.

Edited: I think it would be better to say "Look, with some guys (i.e. Leatherman) you either get long drivers OR a decent-sized blade. With us, you get both; no trade-off needed." But what they said (as I read it), is "These guys have stubby drivers AND small blades, we give you both."

Edited... again: After looking at the video and everything, they should've just done a comparison against just the OHT. Pliers = about equal, Driver = advantage Center Drive, Knife = advantage Center Drive. They add the Wave and muddy things up unnecessarily. Does the Center Drive have scissors? Diamond file? Wood saw? You wanna go head-to-head, let's compare everything equally. So they shoulda just stuck with the OHT, where (again, on paper at least) they have a winner.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 09:38:12 PM by metasyntax »
May it be as the Pattern has chosen.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #88 on: October 25, 2016, 09:58:23 PM

You're not wrong, but my beef is that they purposefully compared against two implements on two different tools. The Wave has a stubby driver, but a big blade. The OHT has a decently sized (and fairly well centered, I might add!) Phillips driver, and a short blade. What Gerber did is like saying "the Wave is the best multi-tool because it has bigger scissors than the Spirit and it's lighter than the SwissTool X!" Three of their comparison photos show the Wave, so I'd forgive a non-MTO person for not realizing at a glance that the last photo is a totally different model.

Edited: I think it would be better to say "Look, with some guys (i.e. Leatherman) you either get long drivers OR a decent-sized blade. With us, you get both; no trade-off needed." But what they said (as I read it), is "These guys have stubby drivers AND small blades, we give you both."

Edited... again: After looking at the video and everything, they should've just done a comparison against just the OHT. Pliers = about equal, Driver = advantage Center Drive, Knife = advantage Center Drive. They add the Wave and muddy things up unnecessarily. Does the Center Drive have scissors? Diamond file? Wood saw? You wanna go head-to-head, let's compare everything equally. So they shoulda just stuck with the OHT, where (again, on paper at least) they have a winner.
I agree, the OHT would have been a better choice to compare too, but the Wave has a considerably larger market share and customer recognition (which is why Gerber chose to go after it, I think)
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #89 on: October 25, 2016, 10:46:44 PM
Wow.. just saw this tool (thanks to Grant's email blast).  I'm torn.  It's got the right tools for a worksite, but missing some that I'd actually need or use, namely a saw and scissors, plus the awl looks incorrectly shaped. 

I am not a fan of Gerber MT's, none of them.  BUT, that being said, I hope this is successful so that it pushes LM and SOG, any any other company that wants to play ball to step up their game and put out a response to this tool.  It has some great things going on it. 

But man, they sure were brash and audacious in those videos..  They had better hope this thing flies and sells well, otherwise, that's an awful lot of egg on their faces.
I agree with pretty much this. Although I get by without scissors. But yeah that awl is awlfull isn't it...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD