Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Popular Science helps you choose a knife

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
on: October 23, 2016, 11:25:39 PM
http://www.popsci.com/what-to-look-for-when-purchasing-knife?src=SOC&dom=tw

I love Popular Science.  It is one of my favorite magazines, so when I saw this article I had to check it out.  I'm not sure I agree with all of it, but it seems to make more sense than the last article I posted .

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Popular Science helps you choose a knife
Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 11:55:33 PM
Like you I don't agree with a few things in that, but it's a point of view that I can respect, if not endorse.  I do agree with the assessment of serrated knives though. :whistle:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 12:05:27 AM
Good read and interesting article. Although it conflicts with a lot of my viewpoints, it is a viable article with good advice for a beginner.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 12:19:21 AM
They are welcome to disagree all they like.  It's totally OK with me if they want to be wrong.   :P

But I will admit they make some good points.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 12:25:19 AM
No, I can't say I agree with that article either. Fixed blades have their place, but so do folders, including non-locking ones, and of course knives with other features....... but I'm preaching to the converted here  ;)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 01:11:14 AM
My advice--just buy yourself a used Klein Tools knife. Most miners were issued them in my area, and they're very abundant. You'll find them in beat up shape for $5 or so, and quite often, if you know someone that is or was a coal miner, they've got a bunch laying around.  The one I carry the most (a little non-locking Kutmaster made Klein Tools coping knife) was given to me as was my other user, a Camillus/M. Klein and Sons hawkbill by a mine electrician.  These will last a lifetime.  As for multitools--I strongly recommend pre-2004 Leatherman models and most Vics.  Let's not forget old carbon and stainless Scouts either. '

I disagree on their assumption of serrated blades. I hate sharpening them (that's why my next folder will be an old Spyderco Police or Hunter, so I can send them off to Spyderco), but when it comes to plastic, brush, wood, they will go through it when plain edge won't. I love the serrations on my old Schrade USA CH-3 "Silhouette" Clip Hanger. The serrations even cut dry wood almost as good as a saw. Plus, the knife cost me two bucks, so what's to complain?

Talk to anyone, not necessarily old timers, and they'll tell you they hate stainless. I agree wholeheartedly--nothing beats 1095 Carbon.  These days, unless it's Vic steel. Mora Sandvik, 420HC, or 440C, I don't bother outside of multitools.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 01:14:05 AM by cody6268 »

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 01:41:55 AM
The article is talking about knives for outdoor use really. Not so much EDC around town. I own a Mora (of course) but in carbon. Not something I'd have on my belt in the city here though.....
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 02:27:09 AM
For me, the fixed blade should ideally be stainless with a plastic handle and washable sheath, with a bias for food prep but capable of other chores if necessary. I don't like carbon steel blades or leather sheaths for knives I'll be doing food prep with. I don't mind carbon steel for doing non-food tasks with, but wouldn't take one into the hills as that would mean I'd want to take a separate knife for food prep. The fixed blade would stop in the pack until needed. My carbon fixed blades stay home.

In my pocket, I'd want a folder. OHO can be useful if there's a risk of entanglement, but I wouldn't consider it a necessity for the activities I'd do. Non-locking is preferred, but not essential. For me it must be capable of being safely closed with one hand. One hand closing is more important to me than one hand opening. As I don't generally use folders for food, the folder can be carbon.

I would also want a multitool of some description, whether it's knife based or pliers based. I'd typically keep this in a jacket pocket, or an easily accessible part of the pack.

I have no doubt that my preferences will be greatly different to other members here.  :salute:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
  • Geometry cuts but the steel determines how long.
Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 02:33:50 AM
It was not an article meant for knife nuts, then at the end they point them to a Benchmade’s Crooked River with CPM-S30V.
That won't end well when the newbe tries to sharpen it. :ahhh

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 04:25:10 AM
It was not an article meant for knife nuts, then at the end they point them to a Benchmade’s Crooked River with CPM-S30V.
That won't end well when the newbe tries to sharpen it. :ahhh
I've had a lot better experiences sharpening CPM s30v than I thought I would. That being said, it is no SAK steel.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 04:37:46 AM
For me, the fixed blade should ideally be stainless with a plastic handle and washable sheath, with a bias for food prep but capable of other chores if necessary. I don't like carbon steel blades or leather sheaths for knives I'll be doing food prep with. I don't mind carbon steel for doing non-food tasks with, but wouldn't take one into the hills as that would mean I'd want to take a separate knife for food prep. The fixed blade would stop in the pack until needed. My carbon fixed blades stay home.

In my pocket, I'd want a folder. OHO can be useful if there's a risk of entanglement, but I wouldn't consider it a necessity for the activities I'd do. Non-locking is preferred, but not essential. For me it must be capable of being safely closed with one hand. One hand closing is more important to me than one hand opening. As I don't generally use folders for food, the folder can be carbon.

I would also want a multitool of some description, whether it's knife based or pliers based. I'd typically keep this in a jacket pocket, or an easily accessible part of the pack.

I have no doubt that my preferences will be greatly different to other members here.  :salute:

I also don't like using carbon for food or game cleaning. I differ though in the fact that I take 2 fixed blades with me to the woods (at least). If I carry a bag i will most likely have 3. I also carry a multitool and maybe a folder, but do not consider the folder a requirement. My average loadout for the woods (knife/multitool wise, I carry a lot of other things dependent on the situation)
is as follows:

A big 7+" Kabar Becker knife in 1095
Stainless steel Mora knife
Multitool (or 2) of choice

If I have a pack with me, I will add a folder and another small knife in 1095 such as an ESEE 3 on my hip and toss all else on outside pockets/loops of the bag sometimes with the exception of the big knife

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 24, 2016, 07:31:26 AM
I'd love to read the article, but apparently I can't go to that website - I get redirected to the local one (which doesn't have that article)

::) :-\ >:(

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: October 24, 2016, 08:08:17 AM
I knew clicking on the link somehow they'd recommend a top of the line super pricey knife. Because yeah, it's awesome!

That Benchmade Crooked Rivers definitely on my list, but not in my future  :rofl:

And this was absolutely my favorite line. multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads. Definitely going in a sig if I can figure that out  ::)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 08:11:41 AM by kaput »
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69