Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gut hook/Rescue blade?

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Gut hook/Rescue blade?
on: October 25, 2016, 07:15:53 PM
Oneof my favorite 111mm SAK'S is the Hunter. The Hunter is a unique SAK with it's Combo tool Gut hook layer which is only available on this SAK. Every review I have ever read states that the Gut hook can be used as a rescue/belt cutting blade. I've looked and looked for any review or test where this was tried. No results where foud so let's do a quick test and see what we have? 
I rounded up an old pair of jeans a cheap leather belt and some heavy nylon strap.

So let's start with the jeans. The gut hook safely cut the jeans open like it was cutting warm butter. So far I'm impressed.

Next up the leather belt. It cut through it almost as easily as the blue jeans. I'm feeling really good about this testing.

Now the heavy nylon strap. This strap is a heavy tiedown strap alot thicker and heavier then any seatbelt. First cut made it almost all the way through the strap first slice. This took a little more force to cut then the jeans and belt but still out preformed it's own size by a long shot.

When I carry my Hunter I probably use the gut hook more then the main blade. It's the main reason I own this knife.
Hope this helps some of you.
IMG_20161025_094034.jpg
* IMG_20161025_094034.jpg (Filesize: 101.18 KB)
IMG_20161025_094248.jpg
* IMG_20161025_094248.jpg (Filesize: 126.86 KB)
IMG_20161025_094452.jpg
* IMG_20161025_094452.jpg (Filesize: 158.74 KB)
IMG_20161025_094546.jpg
* IMG_20161025_094546.jpg (Filesize: 123.77 KB)
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Gut hook/Rescue blade?
Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 07:32:12 PM
Oneof my favorite 111mm SAK'S is the Hunter. The Hunter is a unique SAK with it's Combo tool Gut hook layer which is only available on this SAK. Every review I have ever read states that the Gut hook can be used as a rescue/belt cutting blade. I've looked and looked for any review or test where this was tried. No results where foud so let's do a quick test and see what we have? 
I rounded up an old pair of jeans a cheap leather belt and some heavy nylon strap.

So let's start with the jeans. The gut hook safely cut the jeans open like it was cutting warm butter. So far I'm impressed.

Next up the leather belt. It cut through it almost as easily as the blue jeans. I'm feeling really good about this testing.

Now the heavy nylon strap. This strap is a heavy tiedown strap alot thicker and heavier then any seatbelt. First cut made it almost all the way through the strap first slice. This took a little more force to cut then the jeans and belt but still out preformed it's own size by a long shot.

When I carry my Hunter I probably use the gut hook more then the main blade. It's the main reason I own this knife.
Is there a OHO variant?

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 07:51:03 PM
There's the Hunter XT, with a somewhat larger gutting blade. And there are more models with this blade.
DSC01230-gutting-blades.jpg
* DSC01230-gutting-blades.jpg (Filesize: 450.53 KB)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 07:54:32 PM by Ronald Schröder »

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 07:55:35 PM

Is there a OHO variant?

No none of the slide lock SAK's are One hand.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 08:07:42 PM
Aaaaw :(

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 10:04:13 PM
Cool thread Gene!!! :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 11:12:26 PM

:ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 03:08:30 AM
Nice review there... Now if I can get my hands on a Dual Pro X and add a wood saw to it... that would be neat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ua Offline LeaF

Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 09:34:08 AM
Never seen before Hunter with camouflage scales (and Phillips instead of screwdriver)...
+1 to the my wishlist.

P.S. I thought that I've already collected all 111-mm models. I was wrong :(
If someone can tell me where I can find this model - it will be very appreciated!
Thanks!

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 09:47:03 AM
Very useful test, thank you gene :cheers:

It is my understanding that the rescue blade found on the Fireman/Parachutist (v.1 and v.1a in the photo) can also be used as a gutting blade, apart from it's intended rescue function. I haven't used as such but I can vouch for this serrated razor's sharpness.

Not sure about edge retention though. :think: How's that aspect on the Hunter's gutting hook?

Pic from SAKwiki :salute:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

hr Offline styx

Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 11:38:24 AM
Exact reason why the Hunter was on my shopping list and is in my possession. Might not be ideal for every circumstance but nice thing to have
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 03:11:52 PM
Never seen before Hunter with camouflage scales (and Phillips instead of screwdriver)...
+1 to the my wishlist.

P.S. I thought that I've already collected all 111-mm models. I was wrong :(
If someone can tell me where I can find this model - it will be very appreciated!
Thanks!

They where made back in 2008.
IMG_20160610_181842.jpg
* IMG_20160610_181842.jpg (Filesize: 93.52 KB)

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 03:14:48 PM
Very useful test, thank you gene :cheers:

It is my understanding that the rescue blade found on the Fireman/Parachutist (v.1 and v.1a in the photo) can also be used as a gutting blade, apart from it's intended rescue function. I haven't used as such but I can vouch for this serrated razor's sharpness.

Not sure about edge retention though. :think: How's that aspect on the Hunter's gutting hook?

(Image removed from quote.)

Pic from SAKwiki :salute:

Honestly I haven't tested edge retention on the gut hook. Maby I should.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #13 on: October 27, 2016, 02:35:05 AM
On the linerlocking Fireman, a knife I wanted, but really impulse bought (I'd rather had the Jumpmaster which has Phillips) because I couldn't resist the $35 new price at the local knife shop for a long retired model, I use the belt cutter/rescue blade the most, as I'm left-handed.  Holding the knife in my left hand, the belt cutter has the nail-nick in the right position for left-handed use.   That belt cutter is good for most  farm work cutting jobs--I don't think I even use the plain edge that much, except for whittling.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #14 on: October 27, 2016, 03:51:07 AM
 :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30