Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Pete's November LM Signal Challenge

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Pete's November LM Signal Challenge
on: November 01, 2016, 07:33:39 AM
G'Day,

This month I am going to do a month with the LM Signal. I got it recently from another inmate and like the tool so far.

Now I know there has been some harsh opinions on the tool, and there are a few threads stating that. This thread will hopefully give you a bit of an insight on MY opinion of it and how it will perform in MY EDC needs. I am hoping that it will highlight some of the tool's strengths and weaknesses, based on MY EDC needs.

It came without a sheath, but Gohard has come to the rescue and made a leather sheath for it. That should be here by the end of the week. In the mean time I am using a Leather Wave sheath which fits the tool OK. I also have some planned mods for the future which I will include in the challenge. My idea is to carry the tool "As Is" for the first two weeks and see what I like and not like. I will then add any mods to it and continue to see how the mods are holding up and if they were successful for MY needs. I will run separate threads with the mods in the Mod Squad section. Mods I have in mind are: Wave scissors on the inside, possible blade swap with a Wave / Charge PE blade, Surge Blade Exchanger - if possible and a Wave file where the saw is. The only non-standard bits are the whistle and file that has been dyed black. Just a note on that, if you plan to dye the yellow bits, PLEASE REMOVE the ferro rod before you dye the plastic bits. Mine became a bit pitted, I'm not sure if it was due to the heat, or salt or the dye itself.

I include a few pics to start. More updates will follow.

Cheers,

Pete
IMGP2946.JPG
* IMGP2946.JPG (Filesize: 171.97 KB)
IMGP2947.JPG
* IMGP2947.JPG (Filesize: 172.14 KB)
IMGP2949.JPG
* IMGP2949.JPG (Filesize: 186.55 KB)
IMGP2950.JPG
* IMGP2950.JPG (Filesize: 178.11 KB)

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Pete's November LM Signal Challenge
Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 07:47:32 AM
:popcorn:
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 09:17:15 AM
Day 1

Nothing to exciting today. Most tasks were food prep: cutting fruit for lunch. Blade is very sharp, when I got it I stropped it for a while to get it really razor sharp.
Tonight I got my lunch for tomorrow ready: cheese and cold meats, again no real issue with the sharp blade. What I have noticed is that the serrations do get "in the way" of normal cutting. I suspected it when I got the tool, hence me wanting to add a PE blade. BUT that is only due to my cutting needs. I also carry a 91mm SAK in my lunchbox with a decent blade if it really becomes an issue. One thing I have noticed is that my index finger wraps around the tool and sits on the little file. In some instances that may be an advantage, but it may also exfoliate some skin that I wasn't planning on. It is not uncomfortable, but noted.

I also used the pliers on some lanyards I am making for a mate. I like them, they have a good feel in the hand and grip very well. I got all the gunk out when I got it and the action is now very smooth. I tried to cut some of the paracord, got it cut but not nearly as neat as what a scissors can do. Micra came to the rescue.

All in all a good day.

Cheers,

Pete
IMGP2951.JPG
* IMGP2951.JPG (Filesize: 133.22 KB)
IMGP2952.JPG
* IMGP2952.JPG (Filesize: 159.62 KB)
IMGP2963.JPG
* IMGP2963.JPG (Filesize: 111.96 KB)
IMGP2964.JPG
* IMGP2964.JPG (Filesize: 152.57 KB)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 08:58:06 PM
Can't wait to follow this thread Peter :tu: It may make or break my decision to get a Signal ;) I will probably end up with one either way but this may influence the "when" :cheers:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 10:49:34 PM
:popcorn:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 11:34:20 PM
Looking forward to your thoughts Peter :popcorn:

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

K-Tibbs

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 12:37:48 AM
Looks awesome blacked out.  This is a thread I don't want to miss.
 :like:
Esse Quam Videri

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 09:04:40 AM
G'Day,

@Aloha007: The black seems to fit, I prefer it to the yellow. I think if you replace all the tools with BO ones it will look really cool.

@Monrogue: Thanks mate, I think you have certainly taken the lead in modding the tool. Please feel free to add your user comments too.

@ Poncho65: Only a matter of time mate...

Day 2

Today was not much of a tool day in terms of real use. Some lunch duties for the knife which was dealt with pretty swiftly.  ;)

When I got home I decided to have a bit of a play with the Signal and try the bits out. I wanted to remove the RAM mount on my GPS and it is always easier to remove the screw at the top then to try and un-clip by forcing the plastic. The screw takes a 4mm Allen wrench which I have with the bit-kit in the Charge. I got the bit out and opened the tool, removed the bit that was included and put the Allen wrench in. And then it happened!!! The little so-and-so bit me!!! It it the first bite in years but it was enough to draw a bit of blood. When I closed the tool my finger got pinched between the plier-head and the handle and that was enough to cut the skin. Off to a good start here...NOT.

Now here is the major difference between our "normal/usual" multi's and the Signal. You cannot close the handle completely with the bit adaptor sticking out. The hammer prevents the tool from closing with the inner tools deployed. To me it is not to much of a problem, you do get a little more tool in the hand when you use it like that. It may even assist when you have really tight or difficult screws to screw in, or undo with some extra leverage. The MUT works similar to that, but in the case of the MUT you have to open the tool at least 90 degrees. I also tried some of the flat bits in the hex hole. Some of them will fit if the one side is small, 4mm or less. When I undid the GPS screw, I could fit the 4mm through the hex hole, but turned around with the 5mm going into the hex hole it will not fit in completely. I also tried with a standard hex bit, no problem with them fitting, but with the lack of a retaining mechanism you stand a good chance of dropping or loosing said hex bits. Care has to be taken if you are going to use it. I will find something to use a bit on over the weekend and see how it holds up. Another thing I noticed is that you can "accidentally" press the release mechanism and unlock the inner tools when holding the tool with the hammer facing the top. It is shown in one of the photo's.

So the discovery goes on. The tool still intrigues me, given the fact that it is not the traditional LM multi that we are used to.

Cheers,

Pete

IMGP2972.JPG
* IMGP2972.JPG (Filesize: 110.45 KB)
IMGP2974.JPG
* IMGP2974.JPG (Filesize: 134.93 KB)
IMGP2976.JPG
* IMGP2976.JPG (Filesize: 145.7 KB)
IMGP2978.JPG
* IMGP2978.JPG (Filesize: 130.49 KB)

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: November 02, 2016, 09:05:18 AM
Day 2

More pictures
IMGP2979.JPG
* IMGP2979.JPG (Filesize: 123.49 KB)
IMGP2981.JPG
* IMGP2981.JPG (Filesize: 116.13 KB)
IMGP2982.JPG
* IMGP2982.JPG (Filesize: 109.03 KB)
IMGP2983.JPG
* IMGP2983.JPG (Filesize: 108.9 KB)

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: November 02, 2016, 09:07:35 AM
Day 2

Last pics
IMGP2984.JPG
* IMGP2984.JPG (Filesize: 110.16 KB)
IMGP2987.JPG
* IMGP2987.JPG (Filesize: 122.79 KB)
IMGP2988.JPG
* IMGP2988.JPG (Filesize: 132.67 KB)
IMGP2989.JPG
* IMGP2989.JPG (Filesize: 112.97 KB)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: November 02, 2016, 02:59:43 PM
So it is a bloodthirsty tool :ahhh You will have to watch that one from now :o Glad to have your pics and the good write up mate :tu:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #11 on: November 02, 2016, 03:00:29 PM
Interesting.  It will be good to see some actual user experiences.  While I really like mine, I am a minimal user really, so I don't encounter many of the potential issues from the design.

K-Tibbs

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #12 on: November 03, 2016, 12:51:01 AM
SIGNAL CHALLENGE IN JANUARY  :like:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #13 on: November 03, 2016, 01:56:20 AM
K-Tibbs

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: November 03, 2016, 08:28:37 AM
SIGNAL CHALLENGE IN JANUARY

Two months with a Signal, now that is a challenge...  ;) We are going to need a Badge please Mr Zoidberg

@Monrogue: I am sort of a minimalist user too, except for over the weekends. I think due to its speciality focus it should be good for our use. I think as a hiking tool, possibly for a day or two, but I will still carry a SAK too.

@Poncho65: Indeed very blood thirsty, I have had a quiet word and it should be good from now on.  :D
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 08:55:51 AM by pietervn »

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: November 03, 2016, 08:39:29 AM
G'Day,

Day 3

Today was only food prep day. I had a bunch of apples, nectarines and some mandarins to cut. All went very well. I am starting to get used to the blade and the blade design. I did notice that I need to be careful when picking the tool up if the ferro rod is on the top side. My ferro rod turns really easily and if you are not to careful your finger can slip off the tool, possibly dropping it. That is also the case for putting it down. My hand were a little damp too. I must add that I am left handed, and it is not as slippery if you use your right hand. Picking the tool up right handed, your finger gets onto the frame first and then the ferro rod, thus having a decent amount of grip.

I have a couple of things to do in the garage and outside over the weekend and will see how useful it can be. The first real test...

Cheers

Pete
IMGP2990.JPG
* IMGP2990.JPG (Filesize: 126.38 KB)
IMGP2991.JPG
* IMGP2991.JPG (Filesize: 114.67 KB)
IMGP2992.JPG
* IMGP2992.JPG (Filesize: 114.01 KB)
IMGP2993.JPG
* IMGP2993.JPG (Filesize: 117.66 KB)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 08:48:33 AM by pietervn »

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #16 on: November 03, 2016, 05:52:22 PM
 :like: .. I need dye my Signal in purple .. hahahah Decepticon  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: November 03, 2016, 06:47:58 PM
More great pics and some great thoughts :cheers: All good stuff to know :like:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #18 on: November 03, 2016, 07:00:10 PM
:like: .. I need dye my Signal in purple .. hahahah Decepticon  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

That would be cool.
K-Tibbs

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: November 04, 2016, 09:17:46 AM
I need dye my Signal in purple... Decepticon

That will look very cool, remove the ferro rod first

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: November 04, 2016, 09:25:16 AM
G'Day,

Day 4

A rest day for the Signal today. Nothing to do or cut, tomorrow will be a busy one.

I am planning to add some luggage racks that I painted to the motorcycle for soft panniers. It will be a good test for the hex bit driver. I will test the hex driver and the standard bit driver inside the tool. Nothing to difficult, but there are some weird angles and other racks to work around. It will be the first "real" test and I'm looking forward to it.

Cheers,

Pete

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: November 04, 2016, 04:32:09 PM
Looking forward to it Peter :like:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #22 on: November 04, 2016, 08:17:16 PM
Looking forward to it Peter :like:
Ditto

K-Tibbs

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: November 05, 2016, 05:43:23 AM
G'Day,

Day 5

And as promised a busy day for the Signal.

Lunch duties as usual, but we know that it copes very well with that.

When I got home I headed straight for the garage. I painted an old set of pannier adaptor plates for my OEM luggage rack that I use when I put the soft luggage on the motorbike. The adaptor plates keep the bags nicely away from the exhaust and snug to the bike. We do a fair bit of gravel and the last thing you want is moving luggage. The plates were originally grey and one had to be re-welded after an off in the sand. I filled all the grinding gaps up with some steel putty and plugged some holes up too. I had some old paint left that a friend gave me for tough jobs and painted each rack two coats. They got a lot of air and heat to cure the paint properly. The last bit was adding a small "Batman logo" to the bottom of each rack.  ;)

Due to the exhaust setup on the bike, the right hand side has an slanted rack. The adaptor plate on this side bolts on from the top, while the left side bolts on from the side. This allowed me to test the Signal Hex bit in the hammer on the right hand side and the bit adaptor on the left side. I was a little concerned using a lot of torque with the bit adaptor as the tool does not close 100%. This is due to the hammer being in the way. Some of the other LM multi's I have does flex a little with the tool slightly open. The Signal held up very well. There is a bit of flex, but not nearly as much as I expected. I was able to tighten the screws very well. I checked them afterwards with a proper Allen wrench and they are as tight as I will do them up with the Allen wrench.
On the right side I used a 1/4" Hex bit. I would not have been able to use the inside bit adaptor at all as the rear rack sits in the way, so it was quite nice having the option with using the tool flat. The hex bit fits in well without any play in the hole. It does NOT stay in there though, as I mentioned in the very first post, no retaining mechanism. You can get a lot of torque this way. The whole tool fits in your hand and your strength will be the only limiting factor. I tried a small magnet I had but it was to weak and to big to get on the back of the hex hole. I suspect if you find a small enough magnet it should work well as a retaining mechanism.
I think the Hex hole is a nice to have. I cannot think of a single situation where I will carry Hex bits with me on a hike or a camp. If you keep this tool on your motorbike or bicycle it might be more useful.

Check out the pics!!!

Later tonight I will test the can opener, I have a can of tomato mix that will go into dinner. I will add a separate post for that.

Cheers,

Pete
IMGP2995.JPG
* IMGP2995.JPG (Filesize: 166.01 KB)
IMGP2997.JPG
* IMGP2997.JPG (Filesize: 165.08 KB)
IMGP2998.JPG
* IMGP2998.JPG (Filesize: 139.23 KB)
IMGP3020.JPG
* IMGP3020.JPG (Filesize: 177.54 KB)

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: November 05, 2016, 05:45:53 AM
Day Continued

Pics of the Hex Bit
IMGP3006.JPG
* IMGP3006.JPG (Filesize: 151.3 KB)
IMGP3007.JPG
* IMGP3007.JPG (Filesize: 124.44 KB)
IMGP3009.JPG
* IMGP3009.JPG (Filesize: 131.09 KB)
IMGP3010.JPG
* IMGP3010.JPG (Filesize: 132.32 KB)

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: November 05, 2016, 05:48:49 AM
Day 4 Continued

All fitted and a bike pic.
IMGP3014.JPG
* IMGP3014.JPG (Filesize: 156.23 KB)
IMGP3017.JPG
* IMGP3017.JPG (Filesize: 149.46 KB)
IMGP3021.JPG
* IMGP3021.JPG (Filesize: 153.75 KB)
IMGP3019.JPG
* IMGP3019.JPG (Filesize: 148.73 KB)

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #26 on: November 05, 2016, 06:20:20 AM
Nice job :tu:
K-Tibbs

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: November 05, 2016, 08:23:01 AM
Nice job :tu:

Thank you, I am rather proud of it.

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: November 05, 2016, 08:37:00 AM
Day 4 Continued - Can Opener Test

Dinner came and went much to the kids delight.

I had one small can to open and the Signal did that without a hitch. I have not opened a can with a Leatherman in years. I think the last one I used was on the Ol' PST II. The newer openers are MUCH better. It is the same one as in my Charge Ti. As with the bit exchanger, the tool cannot close completely with the can opener deployed. I did notice that it the lock mechanism should be in the open position, closest to the hammer. That way it creates a "rest" point for the deployed tool. I could open the can with the tool closed, no problem. In fact, I found that with the tool slightly open it was easier than the Charge for example. It works with a pull action and cut little 1/2 moons. I tried to capture it in some of the pics. Safe to say, it passed with flying colours. And this one should be important for the camping focus.

I am still looking for an excuse to use the bottle opener, but I am working 10 days straight, early morning shifts so no bottled beverages for me...

Cheers,

Pete
IMGP3023.JPG
* IMGP3023.JPG (Filesize: 129.53 KB)
IMGP3038.JPG
* IMGP3038.JPG (Filesize: 143.86 KB)
IMGP3024.JPG
* IMGP3024.JPG (Filesize: 143.84 KB)

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: November 05, 2016, 08:38:25 AM