Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Glow In The Dark Plus scales?

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Glow In The Dark Plus scales?
on: October 21, 2016, 06:29:36 PM
I love the glow in the dark scales on my keychain Classic.

I would love GID scales on a 91mm as long as I could retain the features of the Plus scales (primarily the pen slot).
Has anyone seen GID scales in a Plus configuration?  If not,  would a mod to add the pen be possible?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 06:30:49 PM by Kurt Misner »

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Re: Glow In The Dark Plus scales?
Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 08:32:23 PM
Haven't seen and would LOVE them and buy them immediately  (3D printers take note).

The other day I was working on some electronics and was using some alcohol to clean something. Didn't realize I had a little on my hand and then went to install some screws with the phillips on my Champ. Next thing I notice is my fingerprint burned into the scale. I love the look of Cellidor, and it polishes up nice, but the nylon, including the Stay Glow is just far more resilient to commonly used solvents. The glowing is nice too on a dark night or in a deep bag full of other tools, but the impact resistance and solvent resistance is my favorite part.

Plus they snap back on tighter when re-using them.

I haven't tried adding the pen and pin slots, but I do have a set of red nylon scales I want to try it on. Making the notch (for the gray plastic part of the pen) should be easy enough, but I'm not sure about the internal "tunnel".

I'd easily pay up to us$25 for a set of stayglow plus scales. I'd probably have nylon or stayglow on all my EDC SAKs if they came in the plus variety. Not sure why they never did that.
-JJL
instagram: jamesjlarue (warning, lots of cat pics along with the SAKs)

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 08:43:28 PM
Haven't seen and would LOVE them and buy them immediately  (3D printers take note).

The other day I was working on some electronics and was using some alcohol to clean something. Didn't realize I had a little on my hand and then went to install some screws with the phillips on my Champ. Next thing I notice is my fingerprint burned into the scale. I love the look of Cellidor, and it polishes up nice, but the nylon, including the Stay Glow is just far more resilient to commonly used solvents. The glowing is nice too on a dark night or in a deep bag full of other tools, but the impact resistance and solvent resistance is my favorite part.

Plus they snap back on tighter when re-using them.

I haven't tried adding the pen and pin slots, but I do have a set of red nylon scales I want to try it on. Making the notch (for the gray plastic part of the pen) should be easy enough, but I'm not sure about the internal "tunnel".

I'd easily pay up to us$25 for a set of stayglow plus scales. I'd probably have nylon or stayglow on all my EDC SAKs if they came in the plus variety. Not sure why they never did that.
+1

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 09:08:33 PM
Yep,  the only think I would change about Stayglow would be the pen, pin, and non-ink logo. 
I can't tell you how many times I've dropped my keys after opening the door from the garage to the house (through a dark laundry room), only to find them because of the GID feature of my Classic.

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 10:38:18 PM
Yep,  the only think I would change about Stayglow would be the pen, pin, and non-ink logo. 
I can't tell you how many times I've dropped my keys after opening the door from the garage to the house (through a dark laundry room), only to find them because of the GID feature of my Classic.

I don't think they can use the metallic inlay on StayGlow scales (or they could use the silver printing as they do on ecoline)

us Offline Donald

Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 12:14:07 AM
I too like StayGlow scales and would also love to see them in Plus versions.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 12:15:47 AM by Donald »

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Reply #6 on: October 22, 2016, 01:59:05 AM
I too like StayGlow scales and would also love to see them in Plus versions.

Nice stuff!

us Offline Donald

Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016, 02:12:13 AM
Thanks!  :)  Now if we could just get Victorinox to crank out an assortment of StayGlow scales we would be all set. It would give them something else to sell too.  :D

us Offline Mizedog

• Mizedog
Reply #8 on: October 22, 2016, 04:37:56 AM
Thanks!  :)  Now if we could just get Victorinox to crank out an assortment of StayGlow scales we would be all set. It would give them something else to sell too.  :D

Ooo... How do you like the Wenger Ranger Grip knife?  I find myself very drawn to those.

Offline labrador72

Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 02:02:53 PM
 :like: Are the Victoriniox 91mm stayglow scales still available or were those purchased a while back?  I searched far and wide on the web and could not find stayglow replacement scales for 91mm SAKs anywhere. I only found the 111 rescue tool ones.
Is there any way to source the 91mm ones?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%