Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Kayak dry bag

eamo · 17 · 1224

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Kayak dry bag
on: November 17, 2016, 09:44:38 PM

I know we have some kayakers here (looking at you Grant), can anyone recommend a whitewater dry bag ? Something say about 15 - 20 litres, enough to hold lunch, spare fleece first aid kit and camera / phone.

and yeah, it's gotta be affordable in my part of the world - these things run to big money, easy to drop €100 on one and given thats a lot to me, i want to get it right first time. 

It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Kayak dry bag
Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 10:50:38 PM
I don't know much about dry bags- I tend to use Otterboxes for some stuff that needs to keep dry (phones, cameras, car keys etc) and for things like food I usually just use Ziploc bags.  I like the big freezer ones as they are pretty thick, then I put those in one of the holds, which are largely waterproof.  Of course, whitewater boats don't usually have holds, so that's maybe not an option for you.

There's not usually a lot of storage of any kind in a whitewater boat- are you thinking of something like a backpack?  Most deck bags that you get will clip onto the rigging on the deck, but most whitewater boats don't have those either.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 04:29:49 AM
These things run around $20-30 dollars.

I'm not sure the brand makes a huge difference - though there are a few different materials out there.

I've never had a problem.

You can get more upmarket ones with one-way valves to squeeze air out and the like, but that's always seemed a little too fancy for me.

One with additional straps or attaching points might be suitable to your needs.

y55102-mroning-cloud.jpg
* y55102-mroning-cloud.jpg (Filesize: 83.66 KB)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 04:35:16 AM by Sea Monster »

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 07:25:01 PM

thanks guys. i'm new to whitewater kayaking, lots to learn !

I don't know much about dry bags- I tend to use Otterboxes for some stuff that needs to keep dry (phones, cameras, car keys etc) and for things like food I usually just use Ziploc bags.  I like the big freezer ones as they are pretty thick, then I put those in one of the holds, which are largely waterproof.  Of course, whitewater boats don't usually have holds, so that's maybe not an option for you.

yeah, for seaboats with the hatches a regular drybag with a heavy duty bin liner inside works great, been trying that with the whitewater and water generally seeps through - it doesn't help that i usually capsize every session :D :D :D

There's not usually a lot of storage of any kind in a whitewater boat- are you thinking of something like a backpack?  Most deck bags that you get will clip onto the rigging on the deck, but most whitewater boats don't have those either.

the bag gets stuffed behind the seat, we have airbags in the stern so my lunch and coffee doesnt roll around, basically, stuffed between the rear pillar and airbag. I prefer seakayaks to whitewater  :(

You can get more upmarket ones with one-way valves to squeeze air out and the like, but that's always seemed a little too fancy for me.
yup. me too. i'll research a few of the more affordable ones and maybe post them here for opinions ??

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 12:24:31 AM
I'm hoping to get a whitewater boat next year.  I love whitewater, but most of the folks here don't really go anywhere in whitewater boats.  They mostly start at the top of the Rapids,  make their way down, have some fun then get out and walk back to the start and do it again.  In that case you wouldn't really need storage in your boat because you keep going back to the start.

I take it that''s not how you do it?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 08:20:14 PM
I'm hoping to get a whitewater boat next year.  I love whitewater, but most of the folks here don't really go anywhere in whitewater boats.  They mostly start at the top of the Rapids,  make their way down, have some fun then get out and walk back to the start and do it again.  In that case you wouldn't really need storage in your boat because you keep going back to the start.

I take it that''s not how you do it?

Def

we tend to run the river, 4 or 5 hours of paddling, maybe 6 - 10 km depending on the day and whatever learning we do as well. We could spend a while at a particular rapid or we might just go through it and plough on, hence the need to have gear in the boat.
So far rapids are grade 2 - plenty for me as i'm learning, but i would imagine to an experienced kayaker easypeasy.  I much prefer sea over river, any day, but the weather for the rest of the year generally isn't suitable for seakayaking.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 11:21:10 PM
This is why I usually suggest that someone get a 12-15 foot recreational boat.  It may not be the best for oceans, rapids or anything else, but it will do everything well enough.  Here I am shooting some serious rapids in a 13 foot recreational boat- the one Megan usually paddles these days.

My holds kept the water out, despite playing submarine a few times!   :ahhh

I can see why you would need a dry bag- as I recall your boat doesn't have bulkheads, right?  If that's the case, I would seriously consider something like what Sea Monster posted above.  That should work well enough for you, and would probably be what I would go for if I were in your position. 

I can't recall, did you have rigging on the deck of your boat or no?

Def

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 20, 2016, 03:44:48 AM
Just to expand a little -

I've got the drybag I pictured in two materials.

One is a nylon(?) situation, It'll keep things dry, but if you're spending a lot of time capsized it might let a little through eventually (as I said, I've never had a problem, but I've never used it fully submerged either...)
If it leaks it'd probably be through the seams (I don't think they're taped on my particular model - but I've had it for longer than I've been on this forum, so it may not be the "cutting edge" of drybag technology)

It's very light weight - I use it more for storage of clothes after they get wet so as not to contaminate my other stuff...)

The others have a vinyl(?) coating and I have full confidence that they are fully waterproof, the "neck" sort of presses together (and then obviously you do the folds/rolls)

They're a bit "bulkier" though, and don't scrunch up/pack away as tightly when empty.

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: November 20, 2016, 08:31:18 PM
This is why I usually suggest that someone get a 12-15 foot recreational boat.  It may not be the best for oceans, rapids or anything else, but it will do everything well enough.  Here I am shooting some serious rapids in a 13 foot recreational boat- the one Megan usually paddles these days.

good video :) the boat i'm using is a dagger river boat, it's not mine, it belongs to an organisation i'm currently with. it's about 8 foot i'd say, and no bulkheads.
I agree with you 100% re the 12-15 recreational boat, so much so i have invested in one, it's what my daughter and i were kayaking in the other day - she had the new boat, i used the slalom boat i am doing up.

Just to expand a little -

I've got the drybag I pictured in two materials.

One is a nylon(?) situation, It'll keep things dry, but if you're spending a lot of time capsized it might let a little through eventually (as I said, I've never had a problem, but I've never used it fully submerged either...)
If it leaks it'd probably be through the seams (I don't think they're taped on my particular model - but I've had it for longer than I've been on this forum, so it may not be the "cutting edge" of drybag technology)

It's very light weight - I use it more for storage of clothes after they get wet so as not to contaminate my other stuff...)

The others have a vinyl(?) coating and I have full confidence that they are fully waterproof, the "neck" sort of presses together (and then obviously you do the folds/rolls)

They're a bit "bulkier" though, and don't scrunch up/pack away as tightly when empty.

yeah, i've got a couple nylon type bags, lined with a heavy bin liner they'd be good if i was just paddling, but because i'm learning i tend to spend a bit of time in the water . . . can't learn without pushing myself, and i sometime overdo it and go swimming :D :D but i enjoy it all !

I thnik you're right and vinyl is the way to go.

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 04, 2016, 07:50:26 PM
ok, so i got a 13l Ortlieb bag - problem now is that theres very little water in the rivers, we're having an unseasonally dry winter so can't river kayak. on the plus side, well, been getting out on seakayaks which is also really unseasonal for this time of year :)
when i do get to test it i'll post pics and my thoughts.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 12:57:51 AM
How come we never get to see any pictures of these excursions?   :pok:

Def

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: December 05, 2016, 08:50:43 PM
How come we never get to see any pictures of these excursions?   :pok:

Def

well, i did post a pic of my new boat in the outdoor thread with my daughter when we were sea kayaking few weeks ago, but generally i don't take a lot of pics, i'll try for the next few trips, it's Ireland, it'll rain and we'll be on the rivers soon enough :)

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: December 06, 2016, 11:10:36 AM
I can highly recommend that type of dry bag, especially the type made from the rubberized (??????) material.

I bought one when I first got a pontoon boat, many hours on the water and many dunkings....no problem.

Later this became my everything bag when wading rivers (fly fishing), took a few tumbles and never any problems.

:tu:

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: December 06, 2016, 10:08:08 PM
I can highly recommend that type of dry bag, especially the type made from the rubberized (??????) material.

I bought one when I first got a pontoon boat, many hours on the water and many dunkings....no problem.

Later this became my everything bag when wading rivers (fly fishing), took a few tumbles and never any problems.

:tu:

:2tu:

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: December 12, 2016, 09:25:11 PM
got to test out the new bag and it performed as well as i'd hoped - took a swim going through some small rapids and so the boat was totally flooded; the bag kept the gear dry despite been immersed for a good few minutes, so yeah i'm happy :)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: December 12, 2016, 09:54:08 PM
got to test out the new bag and it performed as well as i'd hoped - took a swim going through some small rapids and so the boat was totally flooded; the bag kept the gear dry despite been immersed for a good few minutes, so yeah i'm happy :)

Good test and glad it passed :cheers: :like:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: December 13, 2016, 12:42:54 AM
Good news indeed!

I hope the test wasn't too traumatic for you!   :ahhh

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%