Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Great Multitool.org Trivia Thread

00 Offline Ombudsman

• Rite of )+( Passage
Re: The Great Multitool.org Trivia Thread
Reply #30 on: November 24, 2016, 08:04:12 PM
The first one I remember seeing was Gerber, but since it was already mentioned I will say.. SOG ??  :think:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #31 on: November 24, 2016, 09:17:31 PM
The first one I remember seeing was Gerber, but since it was already mentioned I will say.. SOG ??  :think:

That's right!

SOG used to advertise that they were next in the market after Leatherman!

Got a good trivia question for us? :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

00 Offline Ombudsman

• Rite of )+( Passage
Reply #32 on: November 24, 2016, 09:31:45 PM
I certainly do !  :D

When first appeared, the Leatherman Wave had what looked like a revolutionary handle design. However, there was a previous multitool from another manufacturer which sported the same features even with a Liner Locking Blade included. 

Which multitool it was ?   :think:

« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 10:44:20 PM by Ombudsman »

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #33 on: November 25, 2016, 12:24:09 AM
Kershaw A-100?

00 Offline Ombudsman

• Rite of )+( Passage
Reply #34 on: November 25, 2016, 01:37:00 PM
Kershaw A-100?

Exactly !  :tu: The Kershaw A100 with it's groundbreaking design is considered the forerunner of two Leatherman Multitools, the Wave and also (being the first multitool to feature locking plier jaws) the Crunch.

Your turn Cody ! :salute:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #35 on: November 25, 2016, 04:55:42 PM
Kershaw A-100?

Exactly !  :tu: The Kershaw A100 with it's groundbreaking design is considered the forerunner of two Leatherman Multitools, the Wave and also (being the first multitool to feature locking plier jaws) the Crunch.

Your turn Cody ! :salute:

Would've answered that one, but I had played already. I love the A100s!!!

favorite vise grips MT

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #36 on: November 25, 2016, 05:43:52 PM
Sorry Grant, been a busy couple days. Heres my question (careful, its a tricky one):

How many multitool manufacturers have developed replaceable wire cutters, and which manufacturers were they?
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #37 on: November 25, 2016, 06:42:46 PM
Sorry Grant, been a busy couple days. Heres my question (careful, its a tricky one):

How many multitool manufacturers have developed replaceable wire cutters, and which manufacturers were they?

No problem!  Glad to hear you have gotten busy again!  :D

Great question too!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline David

Reply #38 on: November 25, 2016, 07:24:19 PM
Three that I remember of. Gerber, SOG and Leatherman. Are there others?
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #39 on: November 25, 2016, 07:36:53 PM
That would be it! for those that aren't aware, SOG produced a version of the BlackTip multitool for West Marine that had replaceable wirecutters. However, the wire cutter design was faulty, causing them to shatter prematurely. The tool was quickly recalled and pulled from the shelves, and remains an interesting little tidbit in multitool history.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline David

Reply #40 on: November 25, 2016, 07:51:06 PM
Who was the main engineer in the developement of the PST?
Hold Fast

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #41 on: November 27, 2016, 10:41:10 AM
That would be it! for those that aren't aware, SOG produced a version of the BlackTip multitool for West Marine that had replaceable wirecutters. However, the wire cutter design was faulty, causing them to shatter prematurely. The tool was quickly recalled and pulled from the shelves, and remains an interesting little tidbit in multitool history.

I remember reading that years ago at the forum, but there are no pics of that Blacktip IIRC.
I couldn't find any picture back then, and nowadays it's the same. Remains an unseen mystery for me. Not from users, not from SOG, and West Marine didn't help there either.

Any help there, folks?
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #42 on: November 27, 2016, 04:00:38 PM

I remember reading that years ago at the forum, but there are no pics of that Blacktip IIRC.
I couldn't find any picture back then, and nowadays it's the same. Remains an unseen mystery for me. Not from users, not from SOG, and West Marine didn't help there either.

Any help there, folks?

It is very possible if anyone has one it is Bob (J-Sews) if he doesn't then I am afraid there may not be many else on here that would have one :shrug:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #43 on: November 27, 2016, 04:01:37 PM
Who was the main engineer in the developement of the PST?

Anyone have an answer to this :pok: I would throw out one but I have already answered one and want to give others a chance :D

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #44 on: November 27, 2016, 04:15:38 PM
Tim Leatherman, I assume
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #45 on: November 27, 2016, 09:11:27 PM

Any help there, folks?

It is very possible if anyone has one it is Bob (J-Sews) if he doesn't then I am afraid there may not be many else on here that would have one :shrug:

I may know someone else with one....  :whistle:

Def

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #46 on: November 27, 2016, 09:17:18 PM

Any help there, folks?

Def

Wow...instant Jaw Drop   :like:
What I agree with is the fact that there would most likely be cracking issues due to the huge force you can apply with the C.Leverage in the BlackTip, and how fine and precise those jaws are

Any other oic? Wishful thinking  :drool:
My toys:

us Offline David

Reply #47 on: November 27, 2016, 09:30:24 PM
Tim Leatherman, I assume

You assume correctly!
Hold Fast

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #48 on: November 27, 2016, 09:32:52 PM
 :cheers:
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline David

Reply #49 on: November 27, 2016, 09:43:18 PM
Hold Fast

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #50 on: November 27, 2016, 10:22:46 PM

Any help there, folks?

Def

Wow...instant Jaw Drop   :like:
What I agree with is the fact that there would most likely be cracking issues due to the huge force you can apply with the C.Leverage in the BlackTip, and how fine and precise those jaws are

Any other oic? Wishful thinking  :drool:

I'll post some pics tomorrow, without my ugly mug in them so you can enjoy looking at it!  :D

I am relieved to see that I still have it- I had given away a BlackTip last year and I was hoping I hadn't grabbed that one by mistake!   :ahhh

So I think DKS is up for providing a question, but to pass the time until he does, here's an interim one:

What was the first plier based multitool with scissors?

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #51 on: November 28, 2016, 12:42:10 AM
No one?  :think:

And here I thought that was an easy one!

Def

us Offline David

Reply #52 on: November 28, 2016, 12:58:16 AM
I thought it was an easy one Grant. Guess everyone is distracted.     :whistle:      :D
Hold Fast

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #53 on: November 28, 2016, 01:40:14 AM
I thought it was an easy one Grant. Guess everyone is distracted.     :whistle:      :D

Well?   :pok:

Def

us Offline David

Reply #54 on: November 28, 2016, 01:45:20 AM

Well?   :pok:

Def

Gerber Multi Plier aka Mr Pinchy.
Hold Fast

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #55 on: November 28, 2016, 01:53:45 AM
I was thinking that Bob posted one that had scissors that was really really really old :think: I may have been dreaming though :shrug: :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #56 on: November 28, 2016, 01:56:14 AM
SOG Blacktip

Guess Grant has one and Dennis had/has one as well :o May be more than a few of these floating around :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :like:

us Offline David

Reply #57 on: November 28, 2016, 02:08:43 AM
I was thinking that Bob posted one that had scissors that was really really really old :think: I may have been dreaming though :shrug: :D

Info here.

SOG Blacktip

Guess Grant has one and Dennis had/has one as well :o May be more than a few of these floating around :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :like:

There are.
Hold Fast

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #58 on: November 28, 2016, 02:16:26 AM

Info here.

SOG Blacktip

There are.

Do tell David :dd: :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #59 on: November 28, 2016, 02:20:51 AM

Info here.

I was thinking older than that :think: Like Pre-Leatherman even ??? Like I said I may have just dreamed it up :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%