Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

HELP!?

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
HELP!?
on: November 21, 2016, 09:36:32 PM
'Aight, first some background info.

As a MTO member (and before that) I never leave the house without a Multi- and/or SAK.
Not only that, but I carry a SFAIK, 1000 Lumen Flashlight, Pen, whistle, neck gaiter, lighter, battery, earplugs, etc usualy in my leather bag that is always on/near me.

Now... my better half is quite understanding in my Muti/SAK addiction (thank god!  :climber:)

What she doens't understand though, is my need to carry some of that other stuff.
She admits she feels quite unsafe out of the house these days. Sun comes up at around 8-8h30 and goes down at 17h00.
Working in a retirement home, she often leaves the house at 6AM and/or returns at 22h00.
Basicly in pitch black darkness.
Last summer we ended up on a free festival, but the music was way to loud. Given the fact she's got some ear damage (born with it) that hurts tremendously in loud environments, she could almost cry of joy when I handed her my earplugs.

We've had a junk lurking around the building at night a few months in a row who stole stuff from the containers belonging to the computerstore below us, which didn't aid in her feeling of security.

I handed her a AAA flashlight, which she keeps forgetting to switch from purse to purse (so it's not even at the ready)

So basicaly, she feels unsafe in the dark and unprepaired, yet she declines every form of EDC appart from her phone, wallet, keys and other junk that's scattered in a purse.
She experienced the joy of having small stuff at hand that can make a world of difference, but still won't carrry anything usefull herself.

Any tips on how to convert her that little tad more?
How can I make it obvious that stuff like that can not only help her, but might even save lives one day?

My main excuse so far was: When you go shopping and the weather forecast is "50% chance of rain", you take an umbrella, yet when you know 100% sure you'll be walking in the dark, you don't even think of carrying a flashlight.
But still, no luck so far.

She's a little clumsy with sharp/pointy stuff so a pocket knife is a no-go. I just want her to have a flashlight at the ready and MAYBE some other stuff afterworths, if I make it that far.

Help!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: HELP!?
Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 10:55:55 PM
There is an app for my Pebble smarsmurfch that, with the press of a couple of buttons, will send an emergency text message with your GPS coordinates to any number you program in.  Getting her a smart watch with a similar app might help give her some peace of mind, and it's a gadget of sorts that may help open her up to more EDC stuff.

You can also go shopping with her and help her pick out a bag that would carry all of her stuff, then make sure to get her the right stuff to put in it.  Maybe having a specific place to put things might encourage her.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 11:12:48 PM
There is an app for my Pebble smarsmurfch that, with the press of a couple of buttons, will send an emergency text message with your GPS coordinates to any number you program in.  Getting her a smart watch with a similar app might help give her some peace of mind, and it's a gadget of sorts that may help open her up to more EDC stuff.

You can also go shopping with her and help her pick out a bag that would carry all of her stuff, then make sure to get her the right stuff to put in it.  Maybe having a specific place to put things might encourage her.

Def
Watches and jewelry are prohibited during her work, causing the fact that she rarely wears them. Only in her free time, if she didn't forget.

And believe me, she's got plenty of nice bags with plenty of organizers, it's just that she doesn't use them to their full capabilities.
like: her phone is NEVER in the phone compartiment, taking her time to search for it, making her miss the call :facepalm:

Women! :bnghd:

I do appreciate your 5c though, as I didn't think of the watch myself.
It's just that it won't work out.
And so your post has proven that MTO is the place to go for that extra "out-of-the-box-thinking"

Keep 'em comming!

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 11:24:06 PM
but still won't carrry anything usefull herself.

A few years ago, I put a key ring in Mrs. Powernoodle's purse with a Leatherman PS4, AAA light, Fox 40 Micro whistle, etc.  I did not ask - I just put it in there.  And a few years later, its still there.  She may use it once or twice a year, but it does get used.

But sometimes you just allow people to live with the consequences of their choices.  If wifey wants to walk around in the dark, or not have earplugs when she needs them, then she'll figure it out.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 11:26:47 PM

A few years ago, I put a key ring in Mrs. Powernoodle's purse with a Leatherman PS4, AAA light, Fox 40 Micro whistle, etc.  I did not ask - I just put it in there.  And a few years later, its still there.  She may use it once or twice a year, but it does get used.

But sometimes you just allow people to live with the consequences of their choices.  If wifey wants to walk around in the dark, or not have earplugs when she needs them, then she'll figure it out.
Passive agressive...
Nice!

I do feel like she doesn't learn though, which brought me here.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 01:31:53 AM
Some folks just don't get it. If I'm with certain people, and there's an issue that requires one of the many goodies I carry that they don't, they shout me over. Whilst I am actually fixing the issue that they were unable to because they didn't have the tools, they'll say "I don't know why you carry all that crap"

:facepalm:

Some folks are happier with the inconvenience of being unprepared and having the excuse to not do anything about a situation, than they are with the inconvenience of carrying stuff which might mean they need to do something..... like push a button so they can see.... or write something down..... or heaven forbid, to cut something

She will learn, or she won't. It's outside of your control I'm afraid.....

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 01:32:12 AM

I was going to suggest getting a really compact, lightweight, single mode AAA light (the twisties are usually lighter and more compact) and just put it on her keys.  That way she will always have a light when she needs it.  You may need to check the battery from time to time.  Alternatively many phones have reasonable lights built in these days.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 07:22:55 AM
She will learn, or she won't. It's outside of your control I'm afraid.....

Noooooooo! :ahhh:cheers:

I was going to suggest getting a really compact, lightweight, single mode AAA light (the twisties are usually lighter and more compact) and just put it on her keys.  That way she will always have a light when she needs it.  You may need to check the battery from time to time.  Alternatively many phones have reasonable lights built in these days.
Attaching it on her keys...
Why didn"t I think of that myself? :think:
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 07:24:54 AM by Mechanickal »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 08:00:34 AM
I also vote for attaching a light to her keys.  Maybe someone like a button light for starters?  Nitecore tube thing?  She may need to unlearn how not to be unprepared.  Did that make sense?

Many walk around for years happily unprepared and get by.  Then one day that unpreparedness kicks them in the teeth yet it still doesn't change them. 

By putting a light onto her keys she'll either have to use it or struggle in the darkness till she unlearns. 

I gave both my girls lights and do battery changes myself whether they need them or not.
Esse Quam Videri

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 09:14:54 AM
as pointed out above, if you give people lights, make sure they are charged regularly/they have full batteries.

Usually they will discover that they are not working, only when they really need them.

With multitools, again, especially the LM micra size ones, clean them regularly, as if they are not used often they get gummed up with fluff etc., and again, they will not work when you need them
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 09:37:46 AM
as pointed out above, if you give people lights, make sure they are charged regularly/they have full batteries.

Usually they will discover that they are not working, only when they really need them.

With multitools, again, especially the LM micra size ones, clean them regularly, as if they are not used often they get gummed up with fluff etc., and again, they will not work when you need them
Regret not buying a Micra 2 weeks ago.
A guy sold heaps of TSA seized stuff.

Then again, I regret multiple stuff I didn't buy from him :think:

If only I was a milionaire :ahhh

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #11 on: November 22, 2016, 12:00:20 PM
Maybe pointing out the obvious, but most smart phones these days can use the camera flash as a flashlight. It's a good backup when your other flashlight is not on hand.

I also carry earplugs in my camera bag, mostly since originally it was mostly used for concert photography in the past... so it makes sense to always have some there.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: November 22, 2016, 12:06:25 PM
Think I'm going to go for a brute force plan.

I've been digging out some cheapo flashlights from my drawers and also found some disposable festival earplugs.

Gonna drop as many as I can in as much of her bags as I can :D

england Offline Kev D

Reply #13 on: November 22, 2016, 12:28:58 PM
The olight i3E single AAA torch is small enough to go on her keychain so she would always have a decent small flashlight with her.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: November 22, 2016, 03:19:09 PM
There seems to be something of a rule that women don't organise their handbags. It's not universal of course but it's common enough that it has been featured as a gag in many a comic strip and stand up show. I don't really get it, I should imagine that if I'm apt to transfer my belongings between handbags depending on what fits my my day I would love to have it all sorted in pocket organisers, tins and similar.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: November 22, 2016, 04:40:50 PM
For earplugs, maybe you can make a holder that will fit her keychain as well.  You can always attach said keychain of handy implements to her handbag handle or zipper pull. 
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: November 22, 2016, 04:49:37 PM
For earplugs, maybe you can make a holder that will fit her keychain as well.  You can always attach said keychain of handy implements to her handbag handle or zipper pull.
The party earplugs actualy come in such a package...

Good thinking :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD