Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Whats the oddest, neatest, coolest item you carry.

Aloha · 155 · 7556

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Re: Whats the oddest, neatest, coolest item you carry.
Reply #60 on: November 29, 2016, 03:58:25 AM
On my first day of taking public transportation to Elementary school (different country, different times) my Mom gave me a St. Christopher medallion to keep me safe. Over the years she has given me a medallion on several first days (high school, college, driving, etc.). I have about 4-5 medallions I keep in my son's first baby sock that I bring with me everyday. Had to do this as some of them have the loops so worn out from keeping it on my keychain.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #61 on: November 29, 2016, 04:03:57 AM
On my first day of taking public transportation to Elementary school (different country, different times) my Mom gave me a St. Christopher medallion to keep me safe. Over the years she has given me a medallion on several first days (high school, college, driving, etc.). I have about 4-5 medallions I keep in my son's first baby sock that I bring with me everyday. Had to do this as some of them have the loops so worn out from keeping it on my keychain.

Keeping sentimentals in a sentimental  :o That is a very neat idea :tu: :like: :like: :like:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #62 on: November 29, 2016, 07:49:04 AM

Keeping sentimentals in a sentimental  :o That is a very neat idea :tu: :like: :like: :like:

Sons sock definitely qualifies as both cool and neat in my book.  The medallions are as well.  Thanks for sharing.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #63 on: November 29, 2016, 07:52:25 AM
I carry a small bullet shaped peanut lighter on my keychain and have for the last 16-17 years :tu: I actually have a few of them on different keychains now as I found some of the exact ones on ebay a few years ago after looking for them for years (Illegal for sellers to sell lighters that don't look like lighters in Tennessee) no law against me buying them though :think: Kinda odd but hey whatever :D Will see if I can get a pic up tomorrow :cheers:

I also have a small ferro rod (the kind that are on the survival paracord bracelets) on the same keychain :tu:

I guess those would qualify as my odd neat cool item :D

Interesting the law about lighters. 

Having illegal contraband is both cool and odd  :rofl: Kidding. 

I like those paracord ferro rods and have meant to pick some up.  Those peanut lighters are also a great way to carry a lighter. 
Esse Quam Videri

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #64 on: November 29, 2016, 08:45:49 AM
a photograph of Grant..  :)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #65 on: November 29, 2016, 01:08:01 PM
I carry a small bullet shaped peanut lighter on my keychain and have for the last 16-17 years :tu: I actually have a few of them on different keychains now as I found some of the exact ones on ebay a few years ago after looking for them for years (Illegal for sellers to sell lighters that don't look like lighters in Tennessee) no law against me buying them though :think: Kinda odd but hey whatever :D Will see if I can get a pic up tomorrow :cheers:

I also have a small ferro rod (the kind that are on the survival paracord bracelets) on the same keychain :tu:

Admit it, you knew this was coming...

:worthless:

:pok:

At work i carry a dewalt gyroscopic screwdriver. They arent common around here and most people have never seen one when i pull it out. So i class it as odd and neat, you be the judge if its cool. I will carry it anyways .
It looks like a typical power screwdriver but it has a special feature that sets it apart for me and my usage.
After you pull the trigger it turns in the direction you rotate it and the further you twist your wrist the faster it goes. I find it very precise once you get the hang of it. Some peeple dont like it from reviews ive read but for me it feels like an extension of my hand.
Its powerfull enough to drive 4" screws into a 4x4. And it "almost" drove a 1/4" lagg bolt 6" long into a 6x6 post without predrilling. By almost i mean it went 3/4 of the way in. Some screw guns wont do that.while at the same time its sensative enough for locksmith and I.T. work

http://www.dewalt.com/en-us/products/power-tools/screwdrivers-and-screwguns/8v-max-gyroscopic-inline-screwdriver/dcf682n1

Frank, that looks pretty cool too.  I think I may have to find one of those.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline bigraab1972

Reply #66 on: December 05, 2016, 08:39:18 PM
Years ago I went crabbing with my dad and we forgot the jig to measure the keepers with. Digging through the old tackle boxes on the boat I found a rusty multi tool with a fold out steel 6" ruler in it. Keepers had to be 5 and 1/4" so it worked perfectly to keep us legal with the DNR that day. I removed it from the tool that evening, attached a lanyard, and it's been in my skinth everyday since. I have one on my surge but this one is less bulky and easier to read. It comes in handy a lot more than I thought it would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #67 on: December 06, 2016, 09:14:22 AM
Not so odd any more but when I started carrying a  58mm SAK  on my  necklace  20yrs ago it was.
See I broke a tooth in HS and the crown never fit quite right so I always need a toothpick.
Naturally I first paired it with a coin light, all this before the tacticool survival industry started with gear laden necklaces.
I have rebuilt it a dozen times and it currently has a minichamp, 1AAA krypton Maglite, compass and ferro-rod, the later two simlpy act as spacers to hold evreything where I want it.

The current edc oddity is Cinnamon in my pack. No not for eating, to keep mosquitoes away.
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

us Offline irona

Reply #68 on: December 06, 2016, 03:27:10 PM
Not so odd any more but when I started carrying a  58mm SAK  on my  necklace  20yrs ago it was.
See I broke a tooth in HS and the crown never fit quite right so I always need a toothpick.
Naturally I first paired it with a coin light, all this before the tacticool survival industry started with gear laden necklaces.
I have rebuilt it a dozen times and it currently has a minichamp, 1AAA krypton Maglite, compass and ferro-rod, the later two simlpy act as spacers to hold evreything where I want it.

The current edc oddity is Cinnamon in my pack. No not for eating, to keep mosquitoes away.
Mosquitoes, huh?
Haven't heard that use for cinnamon before. How do you use it?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #69 on: December 06, 2016, 04:16:10 PM

Almost 30 years ago I wore a lanyard with a few odds and ends on it.  It was mainly to carry my keys but slowly useful items were added.  No SAK but there was safety pins. 

I've not heard of Cinnamon for skeeters. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #70 on: December 06, 2016, 04:18:33 PM
Years ago I went crabbing with my dad and we forgot the jig to measure the keepers with. Digging through the old tackle boxes on the boat I found a rusty multi tool with a fold out steel 6" ruler in it. Keepers had to be 5 and 1/4" so it worked perfectly to keep us legal with the DNR that day. I removed it from the tool that evening, attached a lanyard, and it's been in my skinth everyday since. I have one on my surge but this one is less bulky and easier to read. It comes in handy a lot more than I thought it would.

I've gotten used to having a ruler on my Wave.  I tried to carry one of those paper rulers you can get at Ikea but it was quickly abandoned.   Neat story as to why the ruler is part of your daily carry. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #71 on: December 06, 2016, 04:19:07 PM
Esse Quam Videri

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #72 on: December 06, 2016, 04:43:27 PM
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #73 on: December 06, 2016, 04:53:24 PM
Cinnamon story
A few years ago my wife and I started looking at natural alternatives after a health scare...dont worry that worked out.
But one thing I learned was that cinnamon oil is deadly to mosquito larva, so they avoid anything that smells of cinnamon.
Now there are no natural cinnamon trees in SE Texas that I know of so I was skeptical it would work here. That was 2yrs ago and I still use ground cinnamon most the time vs deet sprays.

To use it I simply take a small shake of ground cinnamon and rub it on any exposed skin.
It doesnt take much and you wont notice as it rubs in like talc. It may feel gritty at first but seams to disolve/absorb with any sweat/moisture in your skin. Certenly smells better than deet.
For me it seems to work most the time, which is about as well as the spray. As for brands I'm just using the cheap bargain stuff, so its cheaper too.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 04:58:40 PM by Noa Isumi »
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

Offline bigraab1972

Reply #74 on: December 06, 2016, 05:12:09 PM

I've gotten used to having a ruler on my Wave.  I tried to carry one of those paper rulers you can get at Ikea but it was quickly abandoned.   Neat story as to why the ruler is part of your daily carry.

I agree with the paper ones being a pain to use. I had one that retracted onto my belt for a while and still I find that this one is a lot easier to use. If I need anything bigger I have a 35' tape in the truck.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #75 on: December 06, 2016, 06:02:10 PM
Thats way cooler than I imagined.   :like:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #76 on: December 06, 2016, 06:06:21 PM
Cinnamon story
A few years ago my wife and I started looking at natural alternatives after a health scare...dont worry that worked out.
But one thing I learned was that cinnamon oil is deadly to mosquito larva, so they avoid anything that smells of cinnamon.
Now there are no natural cinnamon trees in SE Texas that I know of so I was skeptical it would work here. That was 2yrs ago and I still use ground cinnamon most the time vs deet sprays.

To use it I simply take a small shake of ground cinnamon and rub it on any exposed skin.
It doesnt take much and you wont notice as it rubs in like talc. It may feel gritty at first but seams to disolve/absorb with any sweat/moisture in your skin. Certenly smells better than deet.
For me it seems to work most the time, which is about as well as the spray. As for brands I'm just using the cheap bargain stuff, so its cheaper too.

I made a spray of Lemon Eucalyptus oil which has worked so far on gnats, flys, and general annoying insects that bug when hiking.  I've read some great things regarding its effectiveness and so far I'm happy, I also wanted to stray away from deet.   
Esse Quam Videri

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #77 on: December 06, 2016, 06:12:46 PM
Cinnamon story

As a human shaped ice cream truck for mosquitos I am always looking for ways to keep the little buggers at bay.  They seem to come from miles around to get me, while whoever is next to me seems to get away unscathed.

I'll try that next summer.

Def

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #78 on: December 06, 2016, 06:16:25 PM
Also try Permethrin.  Lasts for several washes and its not horribly expensive. 

Skeeters tend to like my as well.  I thought with all the spice and garlic I eat they'd move on to others but no luck.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Whats the oddest, neatest, coolest item you carry.
Reply #79 on: December 09, 2016, 06:42:21 AM
On a trip to Italy about a year and a half ago, my girlfriend brought me back this small handmade necklace (and an Opinel with fish that were burned into the handle as she watched). I don't think I have taken the necklace off since then other than to untangle it or tie it. One of those very sentimental things that you always want to have with you.

For anyone wanting to see the Opinel here it is.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 06:44:41 AM by gdoolittle »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #80 on: December 09, 2016, 07:52:10 AM
Very nice.   :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline getahl

Reply #81 on: December 12, 2016, 06:12:02 AM
Cinnamon story

As a human shaped ice cream truck for mosquitos I am always looking for ways to keep the little buggers at bay.  They seem to come from miles around to get me, while whoever is next to me seems to get away unscathed.

I'll try that next summer.

Def

Not sure I would try the cinnamon trick out in the woods or camping, unless it repels bears along with mosquitoes.

ca Offline Marc_in_NS

• No Life Club
Reply #82 on: December 12, 2016, 08:40:53 AM
Besides a sharp blade and a personal flashlight on my at all times; I enjoy the piece of mind of carrying a USB thumb drive. One large enough to keep copies of all the important stuff. Currently I carry one shaped like a "key"; blends well on the key chain and holds 64 GB.

For Mosquitoes; I use DEET
For Black Bears here in NS; I use 308 WIN
I never get bothered...  :whistle:

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #83 on: December 12, 2016, 12:59:20 PM
I carry a spare walking stick ferrule in my bag. I also keep one in my car, a few in my office drawer. I really should learn to check it for wear before I leave the house and not when I nearly fall over because it slips.

At this time of year I also carry a set of shoe grips similar style (but better quality) to these http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-gripper-ice-grips-p194550 for the icy mornings. My lower few vertebra are held together with steel and screws, slipping/falling over and damaging it is my greatest fear nowadays.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #84 on: December 12, 2016, 04:17:45 PM
I carry a spare walking stick ferrule in my bag. I also keep one in my car, a few in my office drawer. I really should learn to check it for wear before I leave the house and not when I nearly fall over because it slips.

At this time of year I also carry a set of shoe grips similar style (but better quality) to these http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-gripper-ice-grips-p194550 for the icy mornings. My lower few vertebra are held together with steel and screws, slipping/falling over and damaging it is my greatest fear nowadays.

Do you have different ferrules for the different seasons and terrain?  Good idea to have them dispersed.
Esse Quam Videri

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #85 on: December 12, 2016, 04:30:19 PM

Do you have different ferrules for the different seasons and terrain?  Good idea to have them dispersed.

I use the same rubber ferrule all through the year, but have a clamp on unit with spikes on for when it's icy, that also flips up out of the way when not needed. Once I've fitted a new ferule it's so tight that I have to cut it off to change it to a new one. If I need anything else to assist I'll break out one my trekking poles. I keep 2 in the compartment in the boot (trunk) of my car and a couple with different handle arrangements in my walking stick stand at home. All of those have a removable rubber ferrule with a titanium stud underneath.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #86 on: December 12, 2016, 08:08:27 PM

Admit it, you knew this was coming...

:worthless:

:pok:

I am just now getting back to this thread and will try and get a couple pic of my items up ;) :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #87 on: December 12, 2016, 08:09:34 PM

Interesting the law about lighters. 

Having illegal contraband is both cool and odd  :rofl: Kidding. 

I like those paracord ferro rods and have meant to pick some up.  Those peanut lighters are also a great way to carry a lighter.

Yeah I am a rebel 8) :rofl:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #88 on: December 12, 2016, 08:43:56 PM
OK here you go :cheers: Sorry the first one is blurry but the second is very plain :tu:

Closed

20161212_131553 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

Open

20161212_131611 by Poncho 65, on Flickr

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #89 on: December 12, 2016, 08:56:55 PM
They must love you at the airport!  :D

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%