Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Recalled SOG BlackTip photos

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Recalled SOG BlackTip photos
on: November 29, 2016, 07:20:56 PM
Recently I was asked to provide photos of the recalled SOG BlackTip.  Well, I took a bunch of photos and then when I went to upload them to the Multitool.org Gallery and I realised there already were photos of it there....  :facepalm:

So, here are the old and new photos:

Those small pliers on the left are on the Surge, and on the right is the Center-Drive, both considered large tools, both dwarfed by the BlackTip.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Re: Recalled SOG BlackTip photos
Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 07:27:40 PM
thanks MUCH, boss! I didn't see them on the wiki, and i did search. That just demonstrates how lame are my research abilities.
I appreciate the effort and gesture a lot, and will post a pic of the Blacktip in my pocket today to celebrate that.  :salute:

have a nice day you all!   :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline metasyntax

Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 07:36:35 PM
Every time I see one of these, it makes me sad that I didn't jump on them when they were readily available (and also, pretty cheap). Not terribly practical for me, but just for the sheer joy of having it; like owning a Ferrari. :) I'm living vicariously through Peacent's photos. :cheers:
May it be as the Pattern has chosen.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 09:13:27 PM
thanks MUCH, boss! I didn't see them on the wiki, and i did search. That just demonstrates how lame are my research abilities.
I appreciate the effort and gesture a lot, and will post a pic of the Blacktip in my pocket today to celebrate that.  :salute:

(Image removed from quote.)

have a nice day you all!   :tu:

Not the Wiki, the Gallery.   :pok:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 09:43:45 PM
Wow that is a big MT :o I wished SOG had persued the removable cutters more but I guess it just wasn't meant to be ::) At least there are still a few of these floating around :cheers: Thanks for the pics Boss :salute: :like: :like: :like:

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 10:25:14 PM
Wow that is a big MT :o I wished SOG had persued the removable cutters more but I guess it just wasn't meant to be ::) At least there are still a few of these floating around :cheers: Thanks for the pics Boss :salute: :like: :like: :like:

Considering that replacement pliers from SOG are less than 5 dollars more than the replacement cutters from Leatherman I think they are doing the right thing.

I just noticed the crimping area (fro leads I presume) on the Blacktip, a nice inclusion that shows that someone was thinking.  :like:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 10:41:09 PM
Stupid question, but why was it recalled? :(
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 12:20:46 AM

The compound leverage, coupled with the sheer size of the head meant that there were a lot of forces working against it, especially with the center portion cut out to make room for the carbide inserts.  It was literally too powerful for itself, and the heads had a higher failure rate than SOG was happy with, so they were recalled and the replacement models have more typical molded cutters as part of the head.

From the center of the pivot to the tip of the nose, the head is 2 3/4 inches or 7cm long.  That's almost a long enough lever for Archimedes to move the world....

Def

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 02:50:56 PM

The compound leverage, coupled with the sheer size of the head meant that there were a lot of forces working against it, especially with the center portion cut out to make room for the carbide inserts.  It was literally too powerful for itself, and the heads had a higher failure rate than SOG was happy with, so they were recalled and the replacement models have more typical molded cutters as part of the head.

From the center of the pivot to the tip of the nose, the head is 2 3/4 inches or 7cm long.  That's almost a long enough lever for Archimedes to move the world....

Def
Um.... the lever should be measured to the back of the handle :pok:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: November 30, 2016, 04:35:23 PM

Def
Um.... the lever should be measured to the back of the handle :pok:

Overall, yes, but what I was meaning is the amount of leverage you can put on the head itself, and how it can be affected by the cutouts in the head.

Def

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 10:52:04 PM
Every time I see one of these, it makes me sad that I didn't jump on them when they were readily available (and also, pretty cheap). Not terribly practical for me, but just for the sheer joy of having it; like owning a Ferrari. :) I'm living vicariously through Peacent's photos. :cheers:

Blurry phone pic I just took to satisfy your urgent cravings...

there's still hope left!  :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: November 30, 2016, 11:15:10 PM
Nice!

I need to find another standard version.  As I said, I gave mine away.

Def

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #12 on: December 05, 2016, 06:26:46 AM
Just a contribution to the thread:
- The BlackTip with the carbide wire cutter model # is 83534
- The BlackTip without the carbide wire cutter model # is 11752177

I now have both versions of this monster  >:D muahahaha  >:D muahahaha  >:D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: December 05, 2016, 12:04:35 PM
Just a contribution to the thread:
- The BlackTip with the carbide wire cutter model # is 83534
- The BlackTip without the carbide wire cutter model # is 11752177

I now have both versions of this monster  >:D muahahaha  >:D muahahaha  >:D

Very cool!

Thanks for the info!

Def

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: December 05, 2016, 04:28:17 PM
Nice chrono :like: When you get time could we get pics of them together :tu:

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #15 on: December 05, 2016, 06:09:48 PM

Will do, chief  :salute: But I have to wait until probably the end of the week if the USPS does not screw up on delivery. Only have the carbide-cutter version at hand.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 06:11:02 PM by chrono »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: December 05, 2016, 07:51:20 PM

Will do, chief  :salute: But I have to wait until probably the end of the week if the USPS does not screw up on delivery. Only have the carbide-cutter version at hand.

No problem they are just cool looking tools though :D :like:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: December 05, 2016, 09:03:45 PM

No problem they are just cool looking tools though :D :like:

Pics are mandatory when cool tools are involved!! I look forward to yours!
As usual, my carry for today is this awesome little beast

My toys:

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #18 on: December 06, 2016, 03:30:47 AM
It is weird. I just mentioned about my BT with carbide cutter, and look at this fresh listing on eBay today: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Tip-by-SOG-Fishermans-Multi-Tool-carbide-inserts-West-Marine-/282281301271 Like wow, what coincidence?  :think: :think: That one is exactly like what I have. Wonder if he pulled info from this thread  :D No I am not bruce909  :P

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #19 on: December 06, 2016, 04:48:58 AM
It is weird. I just mentioned about my BT with carbide cutter, and look at this fresh listing on eBay today: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Tip-by-SOG-Fishermans-Multi-Tool-carbide-inserts-West-Marine-/282281301271 Like wow, what coincidence?  :think: :think: That one is exactly like what I have. Wonder if he pulled info from this thread  :D No I am not bruce909  :P

Bruce is a member on here, and has quite a collection and knows a fair bit about MTs.  I have purchased several tools from him with zero problems.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #20 on: December 12, 2016, 02:32:14 AM
Here are some photos of my Blacktips  :cheers:
20161208_230825.jpg
* 20161208_230825.jpg (Filesize: 363.57 KB)
20161208_230949.jpg
* 20161208_230949.jpg (Filesize: 412.51 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%