Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

GATLINBURG TRAGEDY

us Offline SteelRaven

• Steel is a mystical thing!!
GATLINBURG TRAGEDY
on: December 01, 2016, 07:49:35 PM
Well guys...

70% of one of the most popular resort towns in the American Great Smokey Mountains is in ruins...gutted by hellish fires that melted vehicles to the blacktop...60 to 90 mph winds.
Ironic the adjacent town is called Pigeon FORGE...
Thank God for RAIN...a day late and a dollar short but still...

But we are still here. Fire was traveling at an ungodly speed. Air was a toxic mixture of chemical poisons. 30  more miles and we were gone.

The Worlds Largest Knife Showplace, SMKW still stands unharmed as far as I know. 7 lives lost and 700 buildings damaged or destroyed completely.

The worst fire in TN in a century....
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 07:51:17 PM by SteelRaven »
"As a matter of Survival, all creatures are fair game"

Les Stroud.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Re: GATLINBURG TRAGEDY
Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 08:46:44 PM
Holy crap, I haven't heard anything about this yet. Man, that's scary!

Sent from my Galaxy S7 Edge.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 09:09:02 PM
Yes it sure was a sad thing to watch on TV :-\ The main downtown area was spared but many building burnt to the ground and lot of fire damage plus quite a bit of wooded area in the Great SMoky Mountains National Park were also burnt badly :( The rain finally made it there but as SteelRaven said it was a bit late but hopefully it keeps anything else from burning there :salute:
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 09:11:00 PM by Poncho65 »

us Offline metasyntax

Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 09:25:55 PM
Truly a terrible situation there. I've been to the Smokies many times, it was a frequent family vacation, though we live 10 hours away; my parents were supposed to vacation there in a couple weeks. We became acquainted with a few artists and business folks we make sure to stop and see every time; I hope they and their homes and businesses are all OK. Does anybody know if the artist loop was caught in the flames? It would be a tragedy to lose the work of so many talented artists. I heard that Arrowmont was lost, but I haven't seen it confirmed anywhere. It was horrible to watch the pictures on TV and social media, and recognize the places you've been to so many times. Thoughts are with everybody affected, I'm sure the recovery won't be easy, but there's no doubt Gatlinburg and the surrounding area will bounce back.
May it be as the Pattern has chosen.

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 10:22:20 PM
Used to hearing about the West going up in flames. Don't expect it back East. Very bad mess. Hope everyone here is ok.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 06:43:13 AM
Used to hearing about the West going up in flames. Don't expect it back East. Very bad mess. Hope everyone here is ok.

Yes we seem to always been in some state of fire watch or on fire.  So sad to hear about this awful tragedy.  Its amazing how quickly fire turns a city into ashes. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 07:49:07 AM
I have been there twice a year the past 2-3 years .. its unreal to think of what happened to that place. And what happened to the smokies. My prayers go out first to the families and loved ones of the ones lost and secondly to everyone who lost their property, home, or business. The cabins up on the mountains above Gatlinburg were beautiful and a pleasure to stay in and there are many successful small and large businesses around there. I'm sure that many cabin and business owners are devastated

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 11:29:55 AM
On an up note, Dolly Parton has pledged to give each family that lost everything $1000 a month..will help some!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #8 on: December 02, 2016, 11:32:47 AM
That's always awful, wherever it happens, and it happens all around the globe. A pity for those people, the animals, the vegetation and all wealth and cultural artifacts of the region that were lost.

us Offline SteelRaven

Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 05:04:10 PM
Yep..now the Dolly Parton Foundation has updated the amount to $1000 a month per resident in a given household!

If FEMA WILL JUST HELP  PUT OUT THE DAMN FIRES IN THE GSMNF and not try to "organize" LOL everything they see, TN will rebuild and come back. These people are incredible guys.

That fire was moving so fast that we would've been gone in an hour! Ironic now that it's called Pigeon FORGE...

Jesus...

Les Stroud.

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #10 on: December 02, 2016, 05:16:49 PM
It is heart breaking to read the horrors and the senseless loss.

It has been my understanding that authorities believe the fires were intentionally set, is that correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #11 on: December 02, 2016, 06:21:56 PM
It is heart breaking to read the horrors and the senseless loss.

It has been my understanding that authorities believe the fires were intentionally set, is that correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, that is what they are saying but didn't say HOW exactly it started yet.

Me and the misses visited there just this year and what a beautiful place.  Love the mountains and other scenery.  Even came up with about 5 feet of a black bear as I was outside the car. 

« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 06:23:37 PM by sir_mike »

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Reply #12 on: December 02, 2016, 06:32:29 PM
My family has been going their one or two times a year for the past few years.  This is not their first fire and they will rebuild, not that that is a comfort to anyone. 

While not want to get in a fight I am pretty sure FEMA does not put out fires leaving that to the firefighters, what they do is more organizational to help the victims and the people working on ending the disaster.

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

us Offline SteelRaven

Reply #13 on: December 03, 2016, 02:56:33 AM
It's a Federal matter to manage, plan coordinate and oversee the upkeep of the GSMNF.

Those activities are normally handled by the USFS. THEY have had well enough time to handle this. they havent done so. The fires were burning for weeks before gatlinburg got nailed.

There is an emergency in TN, SC, NC, VA, KY... FEMA is supposed to aid in facilitation if a major disaster overruns the capabilities of another department

At least they have the habit of walking in and taking over.

If they want to Manage something, get more folks on the ground to fight the fires. We don't need them to coordinate corn flake distribution.

That's all I'm saying...and I don't want to argue either.

Thank you all for your love, support, concern and for sharing fond memories of visits to the area.

Les Stroud.

us Offline SteelRaven

Reply #14 on: December 03, 2016, 03:11:24 AM
It's a Federal matter to manage, plan coordinate and oversee the upkeep of the GSMNF.

Those activities are normally handled by the USFS. THEY have had well enough time to handle this. they havent done so. The fires were burning for weeks before gatlinburg got nailed.

There is an emergency in TN, SC, NC, VA, KY... FEMA is supposed to aid in facilitation if a major disaster overruns the capabilities of another department

If they want to Manage something, get more folks on the ground to fight the fires. We don't need them to coordinate corn flake distribution.

When the last flood happened in south LA, FEMA showed up and tried to regulate the "Cajun Navy", a long standing volunteer disaster response grass roots team of hunters, fishermen, sportsmen etc that grab an Oar and solve problems. FEMA got the message that the Cajun Navy wasn't in need of coordinating.

Thank you all for your love, support, concern and for sharing fond memories of visits to the area.

Les Stroud.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: December 03, 2016, 05:10:57 AM

When the last flood happened in south LA, FEMA showed up and tried to regulate the "Cajun Navy", a long standing volunteer disaster response grass roots team of hunters, fishermen, sportsmen etc that grab an Oar and solve problems. FEMA got the message that the Cajun Navy wasn't in need of coordinating.

SteelRaven, I just re read your OP and realized what you said about 30 miles.. do you live up there? if so, I'm happy you and any family that you have are safe and hope it stays that way!!  :salute:

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: December 03, 2016, 05:15:40 AM
Yep..now the Dolly Parton Foundation has updated the amount to $1000 a month per resident in a given household!

Truly generous donation by Ms. Parton. that's a lot of money to pledge no matter who you are. I think it shows that she genuinely cares about the people up there. I'm sure some of those affected are Dollywood employees as well. She did a great job with her park and even though I knew she was a good person before, I was shocked to hear about her donations. Her corporation has also set up a fund and raised over 1 million dollars to help with these donations already.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 05:17:34 AM by gdoolittle »

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #17 on: December 03, 2016, 05:17:16 AM
Sorry to hear about this.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: December 03, 2016, 05:44:35 AM

Truly generous donation by Ms. Parton. that's a lot of money to pledge no matter who you are. I think it shows that she genuinely cares about the people up there. I'm sure some of those affected are Dollywood employees as well. She did a great job with her park and even though I knew she was a good person before, I was shocked to hear about her donations. Her corporation has also set up a fund and raised over 1 million dollars to help with these donations already.

She has went above and beyond :cheers: She has always wanted to build her hometown up and give everyone jobs but in the time of need like this she really stepped up and showed how much she really cares for people :salute: :like:

us Offline charlie fox

Reply #19 on: December 04, 2016, 12:31:26 PM
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE consider donating some dollars to your local Red Cross. These kinds of disasters can happen anywhere at any time and the Red Cross always beats everyone to the scene with shelter, food and other care. You can be sure your money goes to good use.
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: December 04, 2016, 04:55:03 PM
Dolly Parton  :salute:

Now thats what I call putting your money where your mouth is.  I have always adored her and even more over the years, this act just sets her miles ahead of where I was in my adoration for her. 
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #21 on: December 04, 2016, 11:25:58 PM
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE consider donating some dollars to your local Red Cross. These kinds of disasters can happen anywhere at any time and the Red Cross always beats everyone to the scene with shelter, food and other care. You can be sure your money goes to good use.

I donate to the Red Cross on a regular basis for just this reason.  We've done a lot of fund raising for the Red Cross here over the years too. 

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline SteelRaven

Reply #22 on: December 05, 2016, 05:42:10 PM

SteelRaven, I just re read your OP and realized what you said about 30 miles.. do you live up there? if so, I'm happy you and any family that you have are safe and hope it stays that way!!  :salute:

We are OK. Thank God!! Ponch and I had been talkin bout how bad this area needed rain not two days before...just had one of dem bad feelings.

We live just outside pigeon forge about 10 minutes from SMKW. That wind was clipping along per the GB Fire Chief at between 60 and 87 mph. The air was almost unbreathable here. We had to turn on an air purifier, both have asthma. Dogs were freaking out. It smelled like somebody torched a plastic factory in a huge campfire! If it hadn't started raining when it did, I'm not too sure y'all would be reading this today.

People think it's a bunch o rich folks in the US crying over vacations.

They couldn't be more wrong.

Les Stroud.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: December 05, 2016, 07:17:33 PM

We are OK. Thank God!! Ponch and I had been talkin bout how bad this area needed rain not two days before...just had one of dem bad feelings.

We live just outside pigeon forge about 10 minutes from SMKW. That wind was clipping along per the GB Fire Chief at between 60 and 87 mph. The air was almost unbreathable here. We had to turn on an air purifier, both have asthma. Dogs were freaking out. It smelled like somebody torched a plastic factory in a huge campfire! If it hadn't started raining when it did, I'm not too sure y'all would be reading this today.

People think it's a bunch o rich folks in the US crying over vacations.

They couldn't be more wrong.

Well I'm glad to hear that the fire did not reach you! Hopefully it did not hurt your asthma too badly.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: December 08, 2016, 01:55:51 AM

I was down there about 10 years ago and it is a beautiful area bar none. It was sad to see the pictures of all the damage. I hope everybody is able to rebuild.  :cheers:
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline SteelRaven

Reply #25 on: December 09, 2016, 01:53:27 AM
My heart home always has been and always will be Cajun country and South LA but guys I have never in my life seen people so willing to be helpful, understanding and all but go out of their way to do the good neighbor thing, and do it right.

If anywhere in this country can rebuild and put it back together, it's this place.

Les Stroud.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: December 09, 2016, 03:37:38 AM
My heart home always has been and always will be Cajun country and South LA but guys I have never in my life seen people so willing to be helpful, understanding and all but go out of their way to do the good neighbor thing, and do it right.

If anywhere in this country can rebuild and put it back together, it's this place.

The Appalachian area has some very durable and resilient people :tu: :like: :like: Still praying for the area :salute:

us Offline SteelRaven

Reply #27 on: December 10, 2016, 07:23:19 PM
They've arrested a 15 and 17 year old male in connection with the Chimney Top blaze that engulfed Gatlinburg.

Find it strange that just before this they were arresting adult males in the area, one in particular for get this....setting the fires behind Dollywood...and now...

It's juveniles...

Sorry...I cook seafood a lot guys and I know fishy when I smell it.

Les Stroud.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: December 10, 2016, 07:25:38 PM
They've arrested a 15 and 17 year old male in connection with the Chimney Top blaze that engulfed Gatlinburg.

Find it strange that just before this they were arresting adult males in the area, one in particular for get this....setting the fires behind Dollywood...and now...

It's juveniles...

That is kind of weird.. not sure what to think of it.

us Offline SteelRaven

Reply #29 on: December 10, 2016, 08:13:58 PM

It's juveniles...

That is kind of weird.. not sure what to think of it.
I know RIGHT?? So like what'd ya do with all the other guys??

Oh we're sorry...Ooops you're free to go...

Les Stroud.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69