Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Important question for Leatherman Wave owners

Offline Multitoolmania

Important question for Leatherman Wave owners
on: December 07, 2016, 05:05:48 AM
Hello, I am a longtime lurker and retired .

I was curious if people who own a Leatherman Wave would be interested in  the ability to attach a triple A -  LED keychain flashlight
to their multitool .  You would  have to take out 1 of the tools from the outside portion of the case, which would allow you to install this accessory that firmly holds
the keychain LED folded down tightly against the multi-tool {. I chose to take out the serrated knife, since I never
 use it .}    It folds down very compactly and has the ability to be folded out like the other tools , at any angle along with allowing the user to take the flashlight out of the accessory holder and be used by itself.   

I realize there have been a few multitool manufacturers that have incorporated a very small LED light , but they generally run off button cell batteries, which do not provide long runtimes  and the batteries cannot be recharged. Also, these small lights have very low lumen output and they do not have several different modes .

Gerber has recently came out with a multitool that has a built in LED light, that uses a triple A battery, but the light is permanently fixed in the housing , which means it cannot be adjusted at any angle, and if it ever malfunctions , then the light is useless.   Also, it only has 1 mode of light output which is only 22 lumens.

I have spent over a year perfecting a add on accessory  that allows this modification .  This idea allows each person to choose a LED light  of their choice that has the types of modes and lumen outputs they need. It also allows people to use rechargeable battery instead of the throwaway button cells.  I am using a OLIGHT
I3S-EOS , which has several different modes and lumen output and run-times per mode . This LED light is also very inexpensive and dependable .  There are many other brands that would fit also, including the FENIX E01 .  I designed these so they can stay on the multi-tool , and allow the pliers to fully function .

I was thinking about doing a test run of about 100 of these , to see how well they sold .  They would be constructed from lightweight aluminum and would match the finish of the Leatherman Wave , fairly well . I would have to custom make each one .  This accessory would probably fit other Leatherman tools/ brands , but for now I designed it for a perfect fit for the WAVE, since that is claimed to be the best selling multi-tool and 1 of my personal favorites.

The other advantage to this accessory is it doesnt have to be used to just hold a LED light.  You could use it to hold a small chapstick tube, that had firestarter material , or fishing line, fishing hooks, etc.

Please let me know if anyone would be interested in such a product . If you have any questions, I will try to answer them .

The installation of this accessory, is very simple . You decide which tool you wish to omit { from the outside of the leatherman case . It would have to be the knife, or the serrated knife or the file or the wood saw . I chose the serrated knife} Then you simply install this accessory in that slot, and re-tighten the bolt.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 05:07:18 AM by Multitoolmania »

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Re: Important question for Leatherman Wave owners
Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 06:30:31 AM
Hello, I am a longtime lurker and retired .

I was curious if people who own a Leatherman Wave would be interested in  the ability to attach a triple A -  LED keychain flashlight
to their multitool .  You would  have to take out 1 of the tools from the outside portion of the case, which would allow you to install this accessory that firmly holds
the keychain LED folded down tightly against the multi-tool {. I chose to take out the serrated knife, since I never
 use it .}    It folds down very compactly and has the ability to be folded out like the other tools , at any angle along with allowing the user to take the flashlight out of the accessory holder and be used by itself.   

I realize there have been a few multitool manufacturers that have incorporated a very small LED light , but they generally run off button cell batteries, which do not provide long runtimes  and the batteries cannot be recharged. Also, these small lights have very low lumen output and they do not have several different modes .

Gerber has recently came out with a multitool that has a built in LED light, that uses a triple A battery, but the light is permanently fixed in the housing , which means it cannot be adjusted at any angle, and if it ever malfunctions , then the light is useless.   Also, it only has 1 mode of light output which is only 22 lumens.

I have spent over a year perfecting a add on accessory  that allows this modification .  This idea allows each person to choose a LED light  of their choice that has the types of modes and lumen outputs they need. It also allows people to use rechargeable battery instead of the throwaway button cells.  I am using a OLIGHT
I3S-EOS , which has several different modes and lumen output and run-times per mode . This LED light is also very inexpensive and dependable .  There are many other brands that would fit also, including the FENIX E01 .  I designed these so they can stay on the multi-tool , and allow the pliers to fully function .

I was thinking about doing a test run of about 100 of these , to see how well they sold .  They would be constructed from lightweight aluminum and would match the finish of the Leatherman Wave , fairly well . I would have to custom make each one .  This accessory would probably fit other Leatherman tools/ brands , but for now I designed it for a perfect fit for the WAVE, since that is claimed to be the best selling multi-tool and 1 of my personal favorites.

The other advantage to this accessory is it doesnt have to be used to just hold a LED light.  You could use it to hold a small chapstick tube, that had firestarter material , or fishing line, fishing hooks, etc.

Please let me know if anyone would be interested in such a product . If you have any questions, I will try to answer them .

The installation of this accessory, is very simple . You decide which tool you wish to omit { from the outside of the leatherman case . It would have to be the knife, or the serrated knife or the file or the wood saw . I chose the serrated knife} Then you simply install this accessory in that slot, and re-tighten the bolt.

:gimme: :like:

Offline Multitoolmania

Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 01:40:57 PM
So far, this thread has 82 views and only 1 person interested. This invention may not have the amount of interest I had originally hoped for. 

For me personally, I always liked the idea of a multi-tool that had a built in triple A led light attachment, that allowed me the ability to chose a specific light of my choice, and use it at any angle needed while in the tool and the ability to take it out of the tool and use it independently if needed. This allows each person to now carry a very useful LED light, without having a separate carry case .

Another cool thing about the light being attached to the tool is the tool can be hung from inside a tent or pushed into the ground, then the light can be extended like a normal tool and adjusted to give hands free light at any angle. This came in handy for me, last weekend when I was using this invention camping. I needed to get a fire going, and it was dark out , so I opened the file tool , then pushed the leatherman into the ground and extended the light tool to the perfect angle to shine onto my tinder so I could direct the sparks from my ferro rod directly onto the tinder and start my fire in a few seconds in the dark.

I will give this thread about a week to see if there is any significant interest in this product. 
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 01:45:35 PM by Multitoolmania »

Offline Multitoolmania

Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 01:42:43 PM
........error
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 01:44:46 PM by Multitoolmania »

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 01:46:57 PM
It will be nice to see some pictures. The issue is whether it will be worth losing the tools, for a light, that you can easily carry with you.

In addition, you may want to contact the forum owner, if you are trying to sell or advertise a product, as there is special section/membership for advertising, selling, getting feedback on new products.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 02:27:23 PM
As dks suggests, I would have a word with Grant, and check out the R&D membership. It's a small fee as a gesture towards the running costs of the forum as appreciation for the feedback that you will get.

I would definitely be interested in seeing your concept, and I'd certainly be happy to share my thoughts on both the manufacture and use of the new concept to you as an R&D member  :cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Offline Multitoolmania

Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 02:36:31 PM
As dks suggests, I would have a word with Grant, and check out the R&D membership. It's a small fee as a gesture towards the running costs of the forum as appreciation for the feedback that you will get.

I would definitely be interested in seeing your concept, and I'd certainly be happy to share my thoughts on both the manufacture and use of the new concept to you as an R&D member  :cheers:

Thank you.

Offline Multitoolmania

Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 02:44:48 PM
It will be nice to see some pictures. The issue is whether it will be worth losing the tools, for a light, that you can easily carry with you.

In addition, you may want to contact the forum owner, if you are trying to sell or advertise a product, as there is special section/membership for advertising, selling, getting feedback on new products.

Yes,  I am planning to upload some photos as soon as I get the patent finished and mailed in to the Patent Office.  I have noticed that many people who own the WAVE, and modded it, often chose to take out the serrated knife as a first option and install some other tool. This was also my choice since the regular knife is all I really needed .  I have always liked the idea of having a nice LED light that ran on triple A rechargeable battery attached to my multi tool as though it was part of the tool itself or make it easily detachable from the tool. This eliminates the need to carry a pouch or wear pants that had pockets, etc. The ability to hang the multi tool inside a tent and adjust the light to any angle, is also a nice feature.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 02:55:51 PM
Found it! As Grant hasn't shown up here yet, here's how to upgrade to R&D member...

Go to your profile, click on the "actions" pulldown, then "paid subscriptions". There's the option there to sign up as an R&D member for a month for $15 or for a year for $160. It's really a small fee to get a broad cross section of opinion of who would/wouldn't buy it, and more importantly.... why (which may help fuel future design ideas)  :cheers:

Offline Multitoolmania

Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 03:28:24 PM
Found it! As Grant hasn't shown up here yet, here's how to upgrade to R&D member...

Go to your profile, click on the "actions" pulldown, then "paid subscriptions". There's the option there to sign up as an R&D member for a month for $15 or for a year for $160. It's really a small fee to get a broad cross section of opinion of who would/wouldn't buy it, and more importantly.... why (which may help fuel future design ideas)  :cheers:

Thank you.  I just joined . Its a good deal, to get feedback for a small monthly fee. 

I am currently in the beta testing phase of this idea. I have a working prototype and can upload some photos soon. If there seems to be enough interest , I will hand make about 100 of these to see how well they sell, and get feedback from its users.  I have ordered the special aluminum sheets already . Once I factor in initial costs and the time needed to make each one by myself.  I will have a idea of sell price .  I would want to ship them out, with USPS tracking number/ confirmation to ensure receipt .

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 03:35:46 PM
Excellent! Thanks for supporting the forum :hatsoff:

To start addressing your query.....

I'm not averse to seeing a decent light integrated into a tool, as for me a light is every bit as important as knife, pliers, scissors, and drivers. It's not easy to comment on your concept here till we see some form of image, but my concerns based on what you have said, are how it will affect the ergonomics of the pliers.

How soon would you be able to show us something to give us a better appreciation of your design?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: December 07, 2016, 03:41:12 PM
Seems like a very interesting idea :like: Thanks for supporting the forum and joining with an R and D membership :cheers:

I look forward to some pics of this as well :tu:

Offline Multitoolmania

Reply #12 on: December 07, 2016, 03:44:14 PM

I'm not averse to seeing a decent light integrated into a tool, as for me a light is every bit as important as knife, pliers, scissors, and drivers. It's not easy to comment on your concept here till we see some form of image, but my concerns based on what you have said, are how it will affect the ergonomics of the pliers.

How soon would you be able to show us something to give us a better appreciation of your design?

Im finishing up the patent application and already have several photos uploaded and time stamped on my computer hard drive.

So far, I am a bit surprised at the lack of interest exhibited in this thread about this idea. As I mentioned earlier, not only can this attachment be used to firmly hold
a keychain LED light to the multi-tool, but it could alternatively  be used to hold a small compartment { like mini chapstick tube,etc}  that housed fire tinder - fishing line- fishing hooks, etc , and keep it it nice and dry.  I always liked the idea of having these types of accessories attached to my multi-tool, instead of having a separate pouch for these items. Keeping all the items compact / together also has a " cool" factor about it { to me at least} . 

We will see how it goes from here. If the interest level seems to low , it may not be worth pursuing at all.

Appreciate everyones time and responses.

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #13 on: December 07, 2016, 03:48:05 PM
Welcome to the forums, Multitoolmania :cheers:

Personally, I feel electronic devices shouldn't be attached to a MT for reasons such as ease of use of the rest of the implements, ease of maintenance and overall durability. I'm always happy to be proven wrong by a good design, though, and I look forward to seeing what you have in mind :)

Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #14 on: December 07, 2016, 03:52:40 PM
I always liked the idea of having these types of accessories attached to my multi-tool, instead of having a separate pouch for these items. Keeping all the items compact / together also has a " cool" factor about it { to me at least} . 

Keeping things compact, I like that too. This also means you lose everything at once should the MT in question be misplaced, though  ;)
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: December 07, 2016, 03:55:37 PM
Welcome to the forum Mtm   :cheers:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #16 on: December 07, 2016, 03:58:54 PM
Thank you for supporting the forum. Without any pictures it is hard to visualise it.

The led-multitool market consists of mainly low quality and cost tools, so a good quality product may satisfy a niche.

One issue is whether LM and olight will still warranty a modified tool.

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: December 07, 2016, 04:04:45 PM

Im finishing up the patent application and already have several photos uploaded and time stamped on my computer hard drive.

So far, I am a bit surprised at the lack of interest exhibited in this thread about this idea. As I mentioned earlier, not only can this attachment be used to firmly hold
a keychain LED light to the multi-tool, but it could alternatively  be used to hold a small compartment { like mini chapstick tube,etc}  that housed fire tinder - fishing line- fishing hooks, etc , and keep it it nice and dry.  I always liked the idea of having these types of accessories attached to my multi-tool, instead of having a separate pouch for these items. Keeping all the items compact / together also has a " cool" factor about it { to me at least} . 

We will see how it goes from here. If the interest level seems to low , it may not be worth pursuing at all.

Appreciate everyones time and responses.

Two things to remember.....

You can picture this clearly in your mind. We can't yet. It's not easy to get excited until we understand what we're meant to be getting excited about  :D

Also, there have been multitools which have included lights, but generally speaking they've been done badly in the past. For many people familiar with such tools, their mental images (without seeing proof of concept) may not be positive. The only one that "half" did it well was the Gerber Fit. They built a tool around a AAA light, but while the light was half decent, the tool was poor. Don't lose faith yet - it is possible that we may all hate it, but give you valuable feedback that helps you improve it. On the flip side, you might get your first 20 customers here  :D

I take firiki's point on the ruggedness, but I think that the likes of the EO1 are up to the job. They rattle around on people's keys for years on end, get dropped, get wet, and generally get the snot beaten out of them.... and keep working.

I look forward to seeing the pics  :tu:

Offline Multitoolmania

Reply #18 on: December 07, 2016, 04:14:13 PM
I always liked the idea of having these types of accessories attached to my multi-tool, instead of having a separate pouch for these items. Keeping all the items compact / together also has a " cool" factor about it { to me at least} . 

Keeping things compact, I like that too. This also means you lose everything at once should the MT in question be misplaced, though  ;)

Good point.  I guess my reply to that would be, I personally never have lost a full sized multi-tool and did not consider your point. I figure if a person carried a multi tool and a LED light, in a pouch , and they lost the pouch , they would be in the same situation . 

Also, most of the AAA led lights that would fit properly in this attachment are fortunately low cost . 

Offline Multitoolmania

Reply #19 on: December 07, 2016, 04:23:04 PM
Someone mentioned the warranty issue with Leatherman.  The good thing about this accessory is , to install it, all you have to do is take out 1 of the 4 outside tools to make room to install this light holder.  If you ever broke one of the leatherman tools and needed warranty service, you would simply put the original tool back in its place . Its only 1 bolt to take out { but be careful not to lose the 2 small brass washers }   Anyone that has average mechanical skills can do this modification.

Would everyone agree, that out of the 4 main tools , on the outside of the WAVE, the one they use the least would be the serrated knife ?   Thats the tool I chose to omit to make room for the light holder attachment.

Offline Multitoolmania

Reply #20 on: December 07, 2016, 04:53:59 PM

The pliers are fully functional with this attachment and a LED light attached to the multi-tool.   

This is 1 thing that sets this idea apart from something like Gerber offered .    The Gerber tool doesnt even have pliers and the light it comes with, is permanently mounted in the tool .   Their light cannot be unfolded out, at any angle as needed and it only gives 22 lumens.  Im using a Olight led light that gives out :

.05 lumens
20 lumens
80 lumens

This gives each owner, a much better option then being stuck with a 1 mode, permanently attached LED light , that cant even be adjusted to specific angles for
use on specific jobs. 

In other words, if you hang the GERBER FIT LIGHT  multi-tool in your tent , or from your car hood , etc ....the only position it can point the light, is straight downwards.   My idea allows the light to be positioned at any angle needed when your multi-tool is hung from above or shoved into the ground.

I am not aware of any multi-tool that has offered these features. 

Offline Multitoolmania

Reply #21 on: December 07, 2016, 05:16:35 PM
I will be finishing up the paperwork for the patent so I can have some protection for this idea.  Since a few people have shown interest in seeing a photo of this idea, I will upload a couple shots .  This is the 1st time I have shared this information with anyone . Please remember, this is a prototype and I painted mine black, but the ones I sell, would be aluminum finish, so they would better match the Leatherman Wave.

1. 1st photo is how it looks in closed position.

2.  2nd photo shows that the pliers are fully functional with the LED light attached { pliers fully open and close }  . This was the hardest part of constructing this attachment and as far as I know, there is no other multi-tool on the market that offers this type of functionality with a attached AAA led light.

3.  3rd photo shows how the multi-tool can be hung from above { in a tent / shed/ car hood,etc} and positioned at any angle needed.

4. 4th photo shows how the tool can be pushed into the ground, and allow the light to be positioned at any angle needed . This is a nice feature if you need to start a fire in the dark . You can position the light to shine onto your tinder , and then ignite your tinder with a ferro rod . It frees up both of your hands, if you are alone.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 04:31:22 PM by Grant Lamontagne »

Offline Multitoolmania

Reply #22 on: December 07, 2016, 05:28:12 PM
1. Pliers are fully functional
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 04:32:18 PM by Grant Lamontagne »

Offline Multitoolmania

Reply #23 on: December 07, 2016, 05:29:13 PM
Hanging from above , at any angle needed
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 04:33:36 PM by Grant Lamontagne »

Offline Multitoolmania

Reply #24 on: December 07, 2016, 05:31:18 PM
being used to shine light at tinder, to start a fire { in a night time situation }  , which frees up both hands to use a ferro rod and aim sparks directly at tinder.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 04:34:33 PM by Grant Lamontagne »

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #25 on: December 07, 2016, 05:44:30 PM
I thought the light would go in the handle.
so, inside the handle you have a small sealed container ?

Offline Multitoolmania

Reply #26 on: December 07, 2016, 05:50:23 PM
I thought the light would go in the handle.
so, inside the handle you have a small sealed container ?

It is physically impossible to have a triple A led light, fold into the handle. The only way that could be done, is to make the multi tool much larger to accommodate
the housing of the LED light to fold into the multi tool .   My invention allows a light to fold tightly up against the multi-tool and stay firmly in place or have it be unfolded outwards at any angle { like the other tools on the outside of the WAVE}  or allow the LED light to easily be taken out of the light holder to be used on its own like  a normal flashlight.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 05:53:12 PM by Multitoolmania »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: December 07, 2016, 07:35:12 PM
OK, I understand your concept better now. In effect, the serrated blade is replaced with a tube on a bracket, which the light sits in supported/held by it's own clip. I can understand the "work light" potential much better now.

I will chew this concept over for a while and come back to you with my thoughts :tu:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: December 07, 2016, 08:02:44 PM
OK here goes......

I can appreciate what you are trying to do, and being able to use a multitool as a work light, and yet still be able to remove the light for use seperately is a nice idea. The ergonomics of using the screwdriver or can opener look uncomfortable to me, or certainly less comfortable than the tool would be normally.

So.....

Would I feel the reduced comfort an acceptable trade off to be able to mount a torch on the tool? Personally, I don't think I would. Sorry. Nice idea, but I wouldn't like using the tool's other functions this way. As a screwdriver I just wouldn't "spin" in the hand properly, and there would be uncomfortable "hot spots".

Is there another way to mount the torch, which would not impare the ergonomics?

Possibly, yes ......

If instead of sacrificing a tool, voiding warranty, some clueless numpty screwing up the pivots by cross threading them, blah blah blah.... what options do we have for mounting a light in such a way as direction is variable, but the tool can easily be reverted to "normal" ......?

1) Keep the tube, but with a spring clip, so it clips to the spine of the saw or file..... no dismanting required, direction still variable. Unit just unclips when it would be in the way.

2) Using the removable pocket clip as a "base" unit, have the tube rotate on a pivot near the tang end. In effect the tube with light would ride outside the pocket, but if the light was inserted from above, should be safe enough in transit. When the unit is in the way, press the lock release and remove the clip, and snap it back in when done using the tool.

3) Using the tube on the clip idea again, but without the pivot. Fashion the bottom end of the clip so it seats in the bit driver. Therefore, remove the clip from the outside, affix to bit driver. Note, on a flat surface the tool will sit quite comfortably with (still folded but slightly opened) plier head down, both handles pointing upwards, with enough space between them for the tube to be angled to suit. Light inserted one way will cover horizontal to upwards, insert light opposite way for horizontal to downwards.

These are just initial thoughts, more may spring to mind later  :cheers:

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #29 on: December 07, 2016, 08:08:03 PM
being used to shine light at tinder, to start a fire { in a night time situation }  , which frees up both hands to use a ferro rod and aim sparks directly at tinder.

Light and Ferro rod kinda big .. I use my BLAVE can do it all
BLAVE 1.jpg
* BLAVE 1.jpg (Filesize: 118.71 KB)
BLAVE 2.jpg
* BLAVE 2.jpg (Filesize: 220.93 KB)
BLAVE 3.jpg
* BLAVE 3.jpg (Filesize: 97.92 KB)
BLAVE 4.jpg
* BLAVE 4.jpg (Filesize: 217.08 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!