Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

i need a new headlight - thinking of the led lenser seo5

eamo · 94 · 4202

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Anyone got an opinion of the led lenser seo5 ?

I need a new head light, needs are -

decent brightness with variable output
red light
waterproof
reasonable pricing - about £40 ish or so.

The seo5 ticks all those boxes so wondering if anyone has one and what they think of it ?
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: i need a new headlight - thinking of the led lenser seo5
Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 01:23:49 AM
I've had several LED lenser lights, and gotten rid of them all. I personally won't be buying any more of their lights.

My most used is a Silva Ninox, though Petzl make excellent headlamps too.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 09:55:47 AM
I think in most cases Led Lenser stuff is way overpriced for what you get. From a quick look at seo5 specs I'd say that yup, this rule of thumb sure applies here.

I got my wife a Fenix HL30 (2015 edition) and I can't praise it enough. It ticks all of your boxes and I want one for myself too :D

The TIR optic it uses produces a fantastic beam, the modes are well spaced IMO, it has pretty good runtimes and different battery options is a plus (2*AA be it alkalines, Ni-MH or Lithium primaries). I also find the extra, overhead headband very pleasing. All in all, I absolutely recommend this light.

The only negative points are that the battery compartment's lid can be a tad hard to get open and you'll probably want to use a coin or a SAK bottle opener screwdriver so as not to damage the thing, but that's only a minor gripe in my book. The other negative point is that it uses electronic switches (that I normally avoid) and this means there is some parasitic drain happening but it's too little to actually worry about it.
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 04:58:56 PM
I've had several LED lenser lights, and gotten rid of them all. I personally won't be buying any more of their lights.

thanks Al, why the dislike for led lenser ? I agree with you re. petzl and silva kit, i'm currently using an older petzl light but it's no longer up for what i need as i'm doing a lot more night hiking / running.

thanks Firiki, i'll check out the Fenix range :)

us Offline metasyntax

Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 05:32:06 PM

+1 for the HL30, it's a very good light
May it be as the Pattern has chosen.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 05:55:36 PM

thanks Al, why the dislike for led lenser ? I agree with you re. petzl and silva kit, i'm currently using an older petzl light but it's no longer up for what i need as i'm doing a lot more night hiking / running.

My main gripe with them is that they still seem to way overstate their run-times.  The quality is...ok, but just not quite what I'd expect for the prices they charge here.  Oh, and I think they purposely pick out the bluest tinted LEDs they can find.  All this is based on some long established feelings and they might have improved, but I've not heard about it if they have.

I don't have a Fenix HL30 but I do like the fact it runs on 2xAA cells. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 08:17:24 PM

The light they throw off is awful. Full of artifacts, and less "clean" than a 3.99 petrol station purchase. The zoom feature is pointless. It seems to narrow the beam, but not increase the throw much. You can get much better lights for less than half the price. I just can't think of anything good to say about them.

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 08:53:18 PM
fair enough lads, no led lenser for me. i'll continue my search :)

i'll post my next "thought" on what to get when it arrives :D

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 09:29:58 PM
I love Lensers...
I agree on the fact that other lights can do the same for less, but NOTHING comes close to my F1R handheld in regards of lumens/weight.
Carry a P3 on me every day (AAA). It took a hell of a beating and keeps going strong...
I just can't think of anything bad to say about them, unless some of their pricing...

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 16, 2016, 09:53:25 PM
ok, the petzl lights in my price range are all IPX4 - weather resistant. I need weather proof, ipx4 might hack it, but I don't want to take the chance so that rules petzl out.

I love Lensers...
I agree on the fact that other lights can do the same for less, but NOTHING comes close to my F1R handheld in regards of lumens/weight.
Carry a P3 on me every day (AAA). It took a hell of a beating and keeps going strong...
I just can't think of anything bad to say about them, unless some of their pricing...

yeah, this is a pretty big purchase for me - my current light is a petzl and has served me well.

i'm currently thinking silva ninox 2 - it's pricier then i want by about a tenner but i can live with that :)

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #10 on: December 17, 2016, 06:44:39 AM
enegizer makes a few decent ones and they arent pricey, I have HD vision one, 150 or 200 lumens cant remember, you can ramp down the flood and spot lamps till you get light level you like and it has a red light,

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: December 17, 2016, 10:36:13 AM
enegizer makes a few decent ones and they arent pricey, I have HD vision one, 150 or 200 lumens cant remember, you can ramp down the flood and spot lamps till you get light level you like and it has a red light,

yeah good call there BB - i looked at the energiser vison hd+ - very reasonable priced, less then a tenner, only prob is only rated to IPX4 - i will be getting wet, very wet :) as well as hiking, i will have it in my kayaking kit in case we're caught out late.
My current petzl has done me well for probably a good 10 years and it's only now that I'm doing a lot more outside that its reached its limitations. I'm hoping to get the same time out of my new light hence the, um, overthinking ?? (or research) :)

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: December 17, 2016, 10:57:57 AM

Al, just reading back through and you have the ninox - are there any cons or is it worth £55 ? :tu:

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: December 17, 2016, 12:03:24 PM
there's a whole subforum on candlepowerforums devoted to headlights, probably find some suggestions there

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?6-Headlamps
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 12:11:12 PM by Blackbeard »
BB :B:

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: December 17, 2016, 12:15:47 PM
there's a whole subforum on candlepowerforums devoted to headlights, probably find some suggestions there

:2tu: . . . . but them other forums ain't MTo . . . the only forum worth visiting on the net for anything !

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: December 17, 2016, 12:28:35 PM
well, the activity in this subforum on mto, is very slowww, you would be served well to click that link, but I get the feeling your just pulling my chain  :rofl:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: December 17, 2016, 12:28:54 PM

:2tu: . . . . but them other forums ain't MTo . . . the only forum worth visiting on the net for anything !
Home run...

bavaria Offline Tomcat_81

Reply #17 on: December 17, 2016, 12:33:45 PM
Just my opinion - LED-Lenser's best working department is the avertisement and publicity team.

Got one Led Lenser which fell apart pretty quickly, got rid of it, changed over to Fenix (HL 30 - good Headlight!), Nitecore, Thrunite and am happy now ...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 12:35:14 PM by Tomcat_81 »
Sent from my Boconcept sofa, using the 'post'-button

Owing a beer to Whoey since 2016

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: December 17, 2016, 12:35:36 PM
well, the activity in this subforum on mto, is very slowww, you would be served well to click that link, but I get the feeling your just pulling my chain  :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

yeah i am a bit  . . . . but tbh, for me MTo is a one stop shop (mostly, i did click the link, thanks), most of my posts have nothing to do with multitools but rather other activities but i get the best advice and support regardless :) as does everyone else.

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: December 17, 2016, 12:46:20 PM
Just my opinion - LED-Lenser's best working department is the avertisement and publicity team.

Got one Led Lenser which fell apart pretty quickly, got rid of it, changed over to Fenix (HL 30 - good Headlight!), Nitecore, Thrunite and am happy now ...

yeah Firiki recommended the fenix HL30 too - it gets mixed reviews but seems a decent light. It also ticks all the boxes - waterproof, red light and pretty small.

decisions, decisions . . . .

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: December 17, 2016, 12:59:34 PM
see if I wanted to know where to find a bone or what dogs butt smelled the best I would talk to your avatar, but i wouldnt ask him to help me do my taxes or help me hang a picture  :rofl: :rofl:

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: December 17, 2016, 01:03:54 PM
see if I wanted to know where to find a bone or what dogs butt smelled the best I would talk to your avatar, but i wouldnt ask him to help me do my taxes or help me hang a picture  :rofl: :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: see, i would, i talk to my dog all the time, we have quite the conversations so we do :D :D hanging pictures not so much, he hasn't a lot of interest in DIY

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #22 on: December 17, 2016, 04:26:15 PM
I think I've tried most of the brands now, you want to take a guess at the only headlamp that's lasted?

Show content
Energizer! 
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #23 on: December 17, 2016, 05:18:43 PM
I don't have any headlamp from them, (yet...), but I can definitely recommend all Led Lenser torches, lights and products  :salute:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: December 17, 2016, 05:30:11 PM
I think I've tried most of the brands now, you want to take a guess at the only headlamp that's lasted?

Show content
Energizer! 

interesting, S-Man . . .  ah frakit, so many choices  :rant:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: December 17, 2016, 05:50:11 PM

Al, just reading back through and you have the ninox - are there any cons or is it worth £55 ? :tu:

Hard to say. £55 seems high, I'm sure I paid less than £40. I also haven't bought many other big name headlamps. The LED Lenser came in a kit with the Orange Fuse that I built my Fuse-ilier mod from, and I gave that headlamp away to someone who in turn also gave it away....

Aside from that I have a Petzl E+lite which has got me out of a fix a couple of times, a Zebralight that drove me bonkers every time I tried to use it, and a few cheapies where the elastic in the headband gave up on me before the light did.

au Offline Brock O Lee

Reply #26 on: December 22, 2016, 10:11:33 PM
I can recommend the Fenix HL30 too. I bought it in mid 2013, and it's still going strong. It has a terrific creamy, floody beam, and runs well on NiMH's. I agree about the battery compartment being a bit difficult to open, but it hasn't been a problem. The others here are also great, but the HL30 wins with best flood, colour and power. It is the heaviest of the bunch though.

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: December 23, 2016, 02:18:04 PM
thanks guys - i am edging towards the silva ninox 2 - i'm in no rush, off for a few days so can wait to see if the prices drop post christmas :)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: December 23, 2016, 05:01:01 PM
I'm a little biased against 3xAAA lights.  While it gives you around 4.5V they don't have a lot of amp hours to play with.  Not a problem if you're not using it for days at a time or are prepared to carry a few extra sets of batteries, but I prefer a light based around 1 or 2 AAs.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline metasyntax

Reply #29 on: December 23, 2016, 05:14:56 PM
I'm a little biased against 3xAAA lights.  While it gives you around 4.5V they don't have a lot of amp hours to play with.  Not a problem if you're not using it for days at a time or are prepared to carry a few extra sets of batteries, but I prefer a light based around 1 or 2 AAs.

This. I've got a LED Lenser NEO (3xAAA) and a Black Diamond Storm (4xAAA). Neither one can hold a candle to the Fenix HL30. And they're not a whole lot lighter, when you start talking about four batteries (1.6oz) versus two (1.8oz). Of course, it may also be the manufacturer that has something to do with it. Fenix certainly knows what they're doing.
May it be as the Pattern has chosen.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD