Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

help?

br Offline BleaKrytE

• Hello world. I'm Vinícius!
help?
on: December 15, 2016, 10:53:10 PM
So... I do want to get a minimally decent EDC I can do stuff with if I need. The thing is: I'm 16 and my parents are like "what are you gonna use that for?" everytime I comment about something I'd like to have. That goes from paracord wrist lanyards, to dogtags, to knives. In fact, my first of 2 SAKs was bought hidden (a little Classic SD) and the other was a birthday gift (a S Tinker).

So... Did any of you guys start going into this stuff when teenage and suffered with this kinda problem? What could I do to get a decent EDC even though my parents are a pain in the ass? xD

I just carry a watch, my 2 SAKs, a wallet and a phone :(
Uni student, environmental activist (yes, I'm that annoying guy that mentions climate change every third minute), motorcyclist.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: help?
Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 11:12:06 PM
Bike tools offer lots of capability and can fly under the radar (if you regularly ride a bike).
For reference: Show me your Bike Tools
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 11:26:17 PM
My .02, invest in tools you can carry to school with you. Depending on what you are going into or the circumstances you often find yourself in.
I'd recommend something like a style ps, pocket sized flashlight, and a one piece multitool. Use your stuff and let them see how being prepared in life is a good thing. Maybe they will come around.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 11:32:54 PM
First thing that comes to mind is don't break any laws regarding your EDC.  Secondly dont disobey your parents per se.  Since you got the Tinker for a Bday gift and if its legal to carry then make that tool useful to mom and dad.  Show them how wonderful this tool is in everyday life.  Open cans, help mending things around you,  use it for projects/hobbies and show them its more than what they may perceive it to be. 

Id say add in a light if you can.  A light is an amazing tool that is so useful for even the smallest tasks.  Make sure to take every opportunity to use it. 

Maybe also add in a pad of paper and pen/pencil.  Most people are using their phones for notes, show them how awesome having a writing implement and paper are.

Lastly don't make this a point of contention with parents.  As a parent when my kids kept after me about certain things I wondered if it were just a fad or if they were really interested.  When I saw in some cases a real interest I was more than happy to assist or even become involved.  Except the time when one wanted purple hair  :rofl:

These are just my thoughts coming from a parent who had 3 teens at one time.  My oldest carries quite an assortment of tools now.  My youngest is just starting to ask if she carry a knife and pepper spray, shes 17.   
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 11:34:51 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline irona

Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 05:02:51 AM
I was in a similar situation as you were when I was 11 or 12. I grew up in the woods, so I had a reason to buy and carry knives and gear, but would have to beg for months to be allowed to buy a knife. My honest advice is to find a hardware store close to your house and just buy your stuff from there. If it's a decent store it should have at least a small selection of multitools (primarily SAKs and LMs), and will generally have some cheapo paracord, although I can't personally vouch for the quality of that stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 11:48:04 AM
First thing that comes to mind is don't break any laws regarding your EDC.  Secondly dont disobey your parents per se.  Since you got the Tinker for a Bday gift and if its legal to carry then make that tool useful to mom and dad.  Show them how wonderful this tool is in everyday life.  Open cans, help mending things around you,  use it for projects/hobbies and show them its more than what they may perceive it to be. 

Id say add in a light if you can.  A light is an amazing tool that is so useful for even the smallest tasks.  Make sure to take every opportunity to use it. 

Maybe also add in a pad of paper and pen/pencil.  Most people are using their phones for notes, show them how awesome having a writing implement and paper are.

Lastly don't make this a point of contention with parents.  As a parent when my kids kept after me about certain things I wondered if it were just a fad or if they were really interested.  When I saw in some cases a real interest I was more than happy to assist or even become involved.  Except the time when one wanted purple hair  :rofl:

These are just my thoughts coming from a parent who had 3 teens at one time.  My oldest carries quite an assortment of tools now.  My youngest is just starting to ask if she carry a knife and pepper spray, shes 17.

This. All of it. The man knows what he's talking about.

:salute: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 02:32:15 PM
It was a very different world when I was your age.  I carried a SAK everywhere and there were no issues with that- in fact, several of my teachers knew they could borrow mine if theirs wasn't handy, and one even told me once how much better a SAK was than the fixed blade knife I started carrying for a while while going through a phase.  :P

But that's not the world we live in now, and I would agree that staying legal is the most important thing.  You are far too young to have a concealed weapons charge, or assault with a weapon charge following you.  And trust me, whether you use it or not, it will be used against you if you get in trouble for anything.  I have heard the argument "Well Your Honor, if he wasn't out looking for trouble, why did he have a knife on him?" used far too often, even against Swiss Army Knives.

That having been said, there's a lot more to EDC than a knife.  You can get and carry gadgets of all kinds, but the bottom line is that you find and carry the things that work for you- for example, a saw is useless if you never leave the city or repair plumbing.  As with anyone else, my best suggestion is to think of the things that would greatly aid in the things that you do on a daily basis, and work backwards from there.

The second best suggestion I would make would be to look on your local classifieds site (like Craigslist, although I don't know what you have in your area) and find small handyman type jobs that you can do and learn from.  There are probably a lot of seniors in your area that know how to do things but for whatever reason are unable.  This is a good way to learn to use tools, solve problems and make a bit of extra cash to then purchase what you need or want.  You'd be amazed at how many people these days can't replace a fuse in a car or house, clean a carburetor or even change a lightbulb.

Tools are no good to you if you don't have an idea of how to use them.  The best way to be prepared is to know things and how they work, then get whatever tools you think might help you solve those problems.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

br Offline BleaKrytE

Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 03:11:52 PM
Thanks guys! I'm not really worried about getting arrested for the SAK, as police here are quite lenient with them. Also, I never give reason to be pulled over, so anyways...
Bad thing is over here people tend to do everything by themselves so Grant's idea wouldn't quite work... AND multitools and SAKs are hella expensive, and it's HARD to find these things, there are few hardware shops that have those, usually I find them in tobacco shops...
Also no paracord.
And, my dad won't use the Tinker even if I pay him to. When he needs a screwdriver, I always offer the SAK instead of the toolbox on the other side of the house, but he's always like "BRING ME A DECENT TOOL".
Anyways, thanks for the help! I guess the best thing to do is buy a flashlight, a small pen, and maybe a multitool (if I find a decent non-chinese one for not offensive prices) and wait till I can work... In Brazil we're not allowed to properly work until 18 :/
Uni student, environmental activist (yes, I'm that annoying guy that mentions climate change every third minute), motorcyclist.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 03:43:12 PM
There are other very usable types of cordage.  I wrote about natural fiber cordage that I like to carry when I camp and hike.  Hemp, sisal, manilla, jute, and others are wonderful types and have many uses. 

Bank line is very good cordage as well, heck Dave Canterbury seems to use it now exclusively.  You could get polyester cordage that looks like paranoid which I've bought in the past which also is good.  As long as you are not stressing the cordage beyond what it can handle you will be fine.

MTs for some are gadgets.  I can understand dad wanting a proper tool.  Next time something needs doing my suggestion is to do it.  Use your tool and show how they can save time and also get the job done. 

When dad is calling for a real tool ask if you can give it a go.  This is a great time to show what you can do and your "gadget" can do.   

There are some really good OPTs on the market.  I have a couple Chinese pry bars that are key chain sized but pack a big punch non the less.  The Pocket Wrench 2 is a OPT that is more than a one piece tool.  It is a work horse that can fit into a wallet.  The Chinese knock off is also pretty good from what I read here on MTO.  I highly suggest sourcing one and seeing for yourself. 

The last part of Defs post is so valuable,  "Tools are no good to you if you don't have an idea of how to use them.  The best way to be prepared is to know things and how they work, then get whatever tools you think might help you solve those problems.".  His whole post was, in fact but knowing how to use "decent tools" as dad said,  is important for starters.  Knowing how to fix things and trouble shoot is also very important.  When you are confident you will be able to improvise with whats in your EDC. 

For many here a MT is seldom used vs "decent tools".  I'd much rather use a "decent tool" but wont walk across the room when I have my MT on my belt. 

A pen and pad of paper are terrific tools.  A flashlight, even a keychain sized one is another terrific tool.  I'd highly suggest looking at getting a Pocket Wrench 2 or knock off ( search the boards for where to buy ),  There are many keychain tools that you could also get, provided they sell in your country.  Everything from drivers to small pliers. 

Search the boards and see all the different awesome small tools many carry and get a lot of usage out of. 

Lastly, good for you for wanting to carry useful items.  Keep at it and show your parents how these items are more than just fun gadgets.  Believe me parents do come around tho sometimes slower than our kids would like.

EDIT.

Dont forget about a small 1st Aid kit for yourself.  Its a terrific item to have on you at all times.     
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 03:45:31 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: December 16, 2016, 03:55:55 PM
Have a look thru this page for ideas on OPT.
  http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,16128.0.html

Heres a good thread on how useful OPTs can be
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,46831.0.html

Check out what Chako has
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,67317.0.html

Pocket Wrench 2 love
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,45219.0.html

Again good luck with what you can source. 
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #10 on: December 16, 2016, 10:39:59 PM
If no one is looking to pay someone to do things for you, offer to help people while they do it.  Or start fixing things yourself- work on your bike or better yet, buy a small motorbike or scooter and fix it up.  There have to be some machines around that no one else wants that you could fix up and sell or make use of. 

The bottom line is, get out and start doing something.  If you aren't capable of working with your hands, you don't need tools, and the only way to learn to be capable of working with your hands is to get out and do it.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: December 16, 2016, 11:36:37 PM
Also voting for a light.
Usefull in a wide variaty of situations, nothing illegal about it and, well... everyone needs at least 1 decent one...

Thinking back... my parents were quite easy...
They were proud when I held a tool, any tool :think:

br Offline BleaKrytE

Reply #12 on: December 20, 2016, 04:04:21 PM
thanks people!
ur right grant i need to do stuff to learn how to. good thing i'm travelling to my grandfathers' house, so maybe my grandfather will let me help him when he is doing something. he's a quite active old man u know xD
and for the first aid, indeed. i think i'll get an altoids tin and put some basic stuff like gauze, dressings and such. what do u think?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: December 20, 2016, 04:33:15 PM
thanks people!
ur right grant i need to do stuff to learn how to. good thing i'm travelling to my grandfathers' house, so maybe my grandfather will let me help him when he is doing something. he's a quite active old man u know xD
and for the first aid, indeed. i think i'll get an altoids tin and put some basic stuff like gauze, dressings and such. what do u think?

Excellent.  EDC is a fun "hobby" for many.  EDC is for others is about having items you needed more often then not.  Some people manage with a small SAK and light.  Others EDC is a full blown bag of gear.  Theres no right or wrong but knowing how to work on things is the tool many lack.

Learning how to care for a home, car, and other things we have is invaluable.  Not many get the chance to learn so if grandpa is able to teach you then soak it all up.         
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD