Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Poncho needs a Spyderco- please help!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Poncho needs a Spyderco- please help!
Reply #90 on: January 13, 2017, 10:43:29 PM
Great pics Poncho!

I'm glad to hear that you have at least cut something with it so far, even if it was just a hunk of cardboard!

Def

I have cut a couple oranges and a package or 2 as well as a few more things and it has done fine ;) Oh and one of our water hose to put a new end on it :cheers:  :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #91 on: January 13, 2017, 10:43:50 PM
New page banana man dance

:nanadance:       :nanadance:

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #92 on: June 04, 2017, 05:08:46 PM
rather then starting a new thread, i figured i'd recycle this one - Poncho, hope you don't mind :)

the manbug salt lightweight yellow has caught my attention -
http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=1034

i'm spending a good bit of time around salt water and my current knives are prone to rusting and basically, i'm thinking of one of these - about $50 from amazon.

Does anyone have one and if so what do they think ? I want a small knife, but not so small as to be unusable and this seems to fit the bill.
so what you guys think of it ? 
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 05:32:36 PM by eamo »
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #93 on: June 05, 2017, 03:39:28 PM
rather then starting a new thread, i figured i'd recycle this one - Poncho, hope you don't mind :)

the manbug salt lightweight yellow has caught my attention -
http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=1034

i'm spending a good bit of time around salt water and my current knives are prone to rusting and basically, i'm thinking of one of these - about $50 from amazon.

Does anyone have one and if so what do they think ? I want a small knife, but not so small as to be unusable and this seems to fit the bill.
so what you guys think of it ?

well I'm always in favor of getting a Salt knife, or a Spyderco anyways, but I think you could upgrade to a Dragonfly Salt or a Salt I with your budget.
A tad bigger, stronger, but still lightweight, thin and incredibly useful!

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #94 on: June 05, 2017, 04:50:34 PM
well, i want something small to put in a buoyancy aid for paddling - after much posting on MTO and researching i got a PFD knife i am very happy with (palm equipment knife) but it tends to be prone to rust in salt water. Yes i can and do wash it after use but there are times it can be left in my PFD overnight, or longer.

So, it needs to be fairly smallish but usable, i prefer non pointy for my PFD knives, (that is a separate argument with no correct answer).

Also, as you know in Europe we pay premium for our knives. $50 gets me the knife to someone in the states who'll just pop it into a jiffy bag and post it to me here.

I might start a new thread on it see if anyone has one - my main questions are whether it'll cut neoprene, 8 to 10 mm rope and plastic about 2mm thick, and of a usuable size, i've small hands so from looking at youtube i don't think it's too small.

oh yeah and not crazy expensive  :D

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #95 on: June 05, 2017, 06:45:27 PM
I can tell you that it'll cut those with ease, especially if you can keep and maintain the edge sharp.
Those Salts cut way above their size   :ahhh
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #96 on: June 05, 2017, 07:04:25 PM
I can tell you that it'll cut those with ease, especially if you can keep and maintain the edge sharp.
Those Salts cut way above their size   :ahhh

thank you for that :tu:
also 1/2 considering the saver salt but it's on the upper end of the size i want . . . .
i opened a new topic -
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,72319.msg1490452/

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #97 on: June 05, 2017, 07:30:42 PM
Don't mind a bit :tu: Hope you got the answer you were looking for :cheers:

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #98 on: June 05, 2017, 07:55:32 PM

well, the research is half the fun :) thinking the manbug is going to be too small, so perhaps the saver salt though thats close on $80 and a lot more then i want to drop on a PFD knife that might wind up taking a swim . . . . decisions, decisions :)

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #99 on: June 05, 2017, 11:07:53 PM

well, the research is half the fun :) thinking the manbug is going to be too small, so perhaps the saver salt though thats close on $80 and a lot more then i want to drop on a PFD knife that might wind up taking a swim . . . . decisions, decisions :)

It won't go swimming if it is attached to you.  To make a lanyard hold out your hand at arms length to your side, and cut your paracord from the middle of your chest to your fingertips. At that length you can use the knife while it remains securely tied to your PFD.  Just wrap the paracord around the handle when you're not using the knife so it won't be in your way.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 11:12:01 PM by Alan K. »

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #100 on: June 06, 2017, 03:29:26 PM

It won't go swimming if it is attached to you.  To make a lanyard hold out your hand at arms length to your side, and cut your paracord from the middle of your chest to your fingertips. At that length you can use the knife while it remains securely tied to your PFD.  Just wrap the paracord around the handle when you're not using the knife so it won't be in your way.

There are arguments against having a long lanyard connecting a knife to a PFD especially in white water or surf - i guess the two that come to my mind are having a long cord that could get wrapped around you, or been tossed around in the surf with a sharp implement tied to you, assuming it was deployed. So i dunno about tieing it to me  :think:

Grant has done a lot more paddling then i have, he might see this and weigh in with his opinion.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #101 on: June 06, 2017, 03:32:56 PM
Pacific, pacific, PACIFIC!  :pok:

My toys:

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #102 on: June 06, 2017, 03:58:01 PM
Pacific, pacific, PACIFIC!  :pok:

(Image removed from quote.)

too big, too big, TOO BIG and i want a sheepsfoot :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99